Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, for him it's about, opportunity cost. His time is more valuable, elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭straight

Water John wrote: »
    No, for him it's about, opportunity cost. His time is more valuable, elsewhere.

Ya, that's the case for all of us. Work 80 hours a week at anything else and you will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    That's the thing. Dairying is too labour intensive.

The work isn't hard, as such, but very time consuming. I couldn't do on/off grazing because I'd have to move two lots of cattle to get the cows back into the cubicles any time I wanted them inside so they were either in or out.

We've been doing a bit of work around the yard this past 2 years and we have a roadway almost finished to allow the cows into the cubicles directly from the farm road so we will be doing a bit of on/off grazing later this year, hopefully.

I didn't even think of going into the cubicles this way until a friend came in and pointed out that a small road extension and two gates could sort out that problem for me. The plan would be to leave them off after milking for 3 hours and then bring them in until the next milking. I'm hoping they will figure out how to return themselves fairly soon without me having to go for them.

Depends what's inside for them. Nephew has maize tmr, they don't want to go out a wet day.
    A fresh pair of eyes sees different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ya, that's the case for all of us. Work 80 hours a week at anything else and you will know.

I wouldn't do anything else. If you dont like cows do something else but I actually couldn't think of one thing I'd rather do.
    My sister and her soon to be husband are gone from the house 11 hrs a day 5 days a week, yes they have there weekends off and bank holidays and can forget about it all once they finish for the weekend but they're nearly 30 and wont be able to buy a house for a while yet.
    Not all its cracked up to be either

• Advertisement

I wouldn't do anything else. If you dont like cows do something else but I actually couldn't think of one thing I'd rather do.
    My sister and her soon to be husband are gone from the house 11 hrs a day 5 days a week, yes they have there weekends off and bank holidays and can forget about it all once they finish for the weekend but they're nearly 30 and wont be able to buy a house for a while yet.
    Not all its cracked up to be either

Exactly. Just don't do it for the money. I've seen both sides and am happier farming for the most part. You get bad days in every job.

Exactly. Just don't do it for the money. I've seen both sides and am happier farming for the most part. You get bad days in every job.

Theres money in it too if you do it well and arebt over borrowed when a year like last year comes along
    Quite a few in my DG are living fairly comfortably, doesn't happen over night though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

https://twitter.com/greenpeaceuk/status/1158337628942585856?s=21

It was only a matter of time before this crowd jumped on the bandwagon. They’ll keep pushing this into public focus...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

https://twitter.com/greenpeaceuk/status/1158337628942585856?s=21

It was only a matter of time before this crowd jumped on the bandwagon. They’ll keep pushing this into public focus...

Which is a good thing really. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

A guy started up near me when quotas went with 50 cows and is pulling out this year. He's won a good few prizes for SCC since he started but says he can't justify the time the cows take away from his contracting business.

Going buying weanlings and finishing them instead while the lease lasts on the farm he's taken.
    You rarely see a metal-head sticking with the cows, or milking them themselves anyway.

• Advertisement

A hydraulic scraper on slats?
    Is there a need?
    Feeding one side of tank and row of cubicles the other side.
    22ft wide tank

Is there a need?
    22ft wide tank

Jam and jam on it springs to mind. The robot scraper seems very popular with robots milking though.

Jam and jam on it springs to mind. The robot scraper seems very popular with robots milking though.

I rang up.to price scrapers and we ended up talking about the cubicles on the tank, they'll probably leave beds cleaner?
    I have the grant approved for a scraper there but have since decided to out a tank there.
    Robot would be great but it would have to be a collector model and couldbt justify the price tag for 4 months full time use

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is there a need?
    22ft wide tank

Nope no need

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Nope no need

No need. There will be plenty of traffic at the feed face. You will only cause sore legs.

The robot will keep your collecting clean all year round. It won't be idle one day in the year IWT. Lad near me has one, very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Anyone else get the progressive genetics use us or we'll cancel your shares letter in the last week?
    Rule 13 allows them to do that apparently,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Anyone else get the progressive genetics use us or we'll cancel your shares letter in the last week?

Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭visatorro

Got a letter and didn't even open it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

From what I found out is if you haven't traded with them for a certain period of time they will send you this letter. Options are hold onto the shares, transfer them to someone, or sell them. My point to them has been what advantage is there to being a shareholder. No reduction in fees or discounts for usage etc. It's supposed to be a farmer co OP owned by farmers so we should be treated better. After saying all that they are doing something right as they have alot of the top bulls in the country

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    The robot will keep your collecting clean all year round. It won't be idle one day in the year IWT. Lad near me has one, very happy with it.

You can't have an incline of more than 1ft in 100ft so that rules out my collecting yard. Mine rises fairly quickly on one spot

whelan2 wrote: »
    From what I found out is if you haven't traded with them for a certain period of time they will send you this letter. Options are hold onto the shares, transfer them to someone, or sell them. My point to them has been what advantage is there to being a shareholder. No reduction in fees or discounts for usage etc. It's supposed to be a farmer co OP owned by farmers so we should be treated better. After saying all that they are doing something right as they have alot of the top bulls in the country

2 of my milk recording neighbour's got the same letter
    Rule 13 says 18 months of no trading
    I've certainly traded with them in that period
    They may be in hot water if the consumer and competition authority get wind of this
    A company cannot have rules that penalise customers for not trading with them enough
    Theres no mention in the letter of payment if your shares are cancelled either

2 of my milk recording neighbour's got the same letter
    Rule 13 says 18 months of no trading
    I've certainly traded with them in that period
    They may be in hot water if the consumer and competition authority get wind of this
    A company cannot have rules that penalise customers for not trading with them enough
    Theres no mention in the letter of payment if your shares are cancelled either

Isn't the milk recording a separate business though. It is billed as Rowler on the bills

Isn't the milk recording a separate business though. It is billed as Rowler on the bills

I dont know but it's the same CoOp so shouldn't matter
    I've been trading with them on and off since before I originally bought the shares back in 95,yet they don't seem to know
    Any AI is out of my milk cheque

Never one cent of a dividend in 24 years

Did you read the full letter? I got it today. I don't think you did

The best part of milk recording is the following milking, so easy compared to messing with bottles and numbers and blocked air holes:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Is there a need?
    22ft wide tank

A relation of mine has cubicles on slats and they're fairly dirty tbh. You wouldn't necessarily need to have a scraper over the full width of the slats

Did you read the full letter? I got it today. I don't think you did

I did
    Theres a value put in the attached forms if you want to sell to someone
    No mention of any consideration ifyou do nothing and they cancel

You have to find a willing buyer yourself and who would buy something for no return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The best part of milk recording is the following milking, so easy compared to messing with bottles and numbers and blocked air holes:mad:
    Find a good milk recorder and you'll never want to see DIY again.

• Advertisement

Find a good milk recorder and you'll never want to see DIY again.

They're struggling to find relief milkers here atm and there's a queue for the recorders for lads not wanting to use the DIY recording. I asked earlier this year about it.

I have the eldest helping me so it's not as bad as it was doing it on my own a few years ago. Freeze branding would help as well:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement