Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made a decent tomato sauce for meatballs & pasta.

1 tin chopped tomatoes
    decent squeeze of puree
    pressed 5 cloves of garlic through the metal crusher yoke
    diced onions
    dash of red wine
    pinch of sugar
    oregano

Fried the onions on a low heat for 10 mins. Added everything else and simmered for about 25 mins. Added some passata towards the end as it was a bit thick.

Separately fried the meatballs and once done added them into the sauce above for about 15 mins

It was really good & lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mexican Tortilla Bake (basically a Mexican lasagne) with a Mexican Salad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mexican_tortilla_bake_28158

A0-ADD7-D4-CD9-D-419-F-870-A-7-C0938543-A77.jpgupload a picture online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Jamie Oliver 5 ingredients fish curry. Surprisingly nice as I find a lot of his recipes can be very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went veggie tonight. Beetroot and Feta Pasta.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blender_beetroot_pasta_96501#recipe-tips

487459.jpeg

Really nice and ridiculously easy to make. Apart from the pasta there was no cooking involved. I think it’d be lovely with some toasted nuts like pine nuts.

Toad in the Hole with Onion Red Wine Gravy and Peas.

459-D87-CC-32-D7-4716-B4-F7-2-A431734877-B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Duck breast and mango salad with plenty of greens and a fresh chili and soy dressing and plenty of chopped coriander with a nice cold Hoegaarden.

Night off tonight! :)

If you’ve been on the Malahide Road recently and passed the Circle K near the Artane Roundabout, you may have seen banners out for Brams Gourmet Frites.

It’s a shipping container at the back of the petrol station selling posh chips with different sauces/mayos. You can also get meat toppings. It’s a Dutch franchise.

Son and I went this evening. You sit outside on garden benches - how they’re going to cope in the winter only knows! But it was really busy when I was in the Circle K at 3pm one day last week and there was a few in the queue in the rain this evening.

My son had the Beef Stoof, I had the Pulled Pork one. Really good chips, crispy all the way to the bottom of the tray. Fresh ingredients and very tasty.

I think it could be a winner! :)

https://bramsfrites.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

9lJn08V.jpg

Made myself steak sandwiches while the other half is away. One horseradish, the other bearnaise, caramelised onions, steak. Token green thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This evening, I cooked some snails with wild garlic. Yummy !

Weather is turning chillier so will start again making hot dishes, instead of my Summer salads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yellow split pea dahl with coconut milk (toor dahl), green beans from the garden with spicy tomatoes (fansi sabzi), cauliflower and potato fritters (aloo tikki), rice and chapatis

iq20UQn.jpg

• Advertisement

Lentil chili with brown lime rice, avocado and sour cream

1feZOqA.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yellow split pea dahl with coconut milk (toor dahl), green beans from the garden with spicy tomatoes (fansi sabzi), cauliflower and potato fritters (aloo tikki), rice and chapatis

Got a recipe for your dahl? Looks ****ing delicious. Same for the lentil chilli.

Got a recipe for your dahl? Looks ****ing delicious. Same for the lentil chilli.

Toor Dahl

200g Toor (yellow split peas)

Enough water to cook the toor

200ml coconut milk

For Tadka (spice mix added at the end):

3 tbsp of ghee

1 finely chopped onion

3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced

1 tsp of cumin seeds

1 tsp of black mustard seeds

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp chili

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp chana masala

Cover the peas with water and boil until soft. Remove any froth from the top with a spoon, add more water if needed, but it should be mostly absorbed by the end.

Once the peas are soft, stir in the coconut milk.

Then heat the ghee in a pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Fry until they start crackling, then add the onion. Fry until that's soft, then add the garlic (be careful not to burn this!). Then add the powdered spices, stir through and pour over the peas. Stir and season to taste.

Lentil Chili

100g red lentils
    100g green or brown lentils
    2 sticks of celery
    1 onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin of kidney beans
    1 small tin of sweetcorn

1 tsp of cumin
    2 tsp of paprika
    1 tsp chili flakes
    1 tsp of dried oregano
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 stick of cinnamon
    2 bay leaves

Chop the celery, onion, garlic, half of the red pepper and half of the green pepper, then put them in a food processor and blend until you've nearly got a paste.

Add some oil to a deep, wide frying pan, and add this blend. Stir and fry until the mixture goes dry and browns a little.
    Add the spices and keep frying for another minute. Now add the lentils, cinnamon, oregano and bay leaves. Add the tomatoes, fill the empty tin half with water and add that.
    Chop the remaining half red pepper and half green pepper, and add them.
    Cover, and let it simmer until the lentils are soft (I put a lid on it and put it in the oven for 40 minutes at this point).
    Remove the cinnamon and bay leaves, add the drained kidney beans and sweetcorn. Season to taste.

We should really move these over to the Chat thread. There’ll be complaints you know!

Toor Dahl

200g Toor (yellow split peas)

Enough water to cook the toor

200ml coconut milk

For Tadka (spice mix added at the end):

3 tbsp of ghee

1 finely chopped onion

3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced

1 tsp of cumin seeds

1 tsp of black mustard seeds

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp chili

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp chana masala

Cover the peas with water and boil until soft. Remove any froth from the top with a spoon, add more water if needed, but it should be mostly absorbed by the end.

Once the peas are soft, stir in the coconut milk.

Then heat the ghee in a pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Fry until they start crackling, then add the onion. Fry until that's soft, then add the garlic (be careful not to burn this!). Then add the powdered spices, stir through and pour over the peas. Stir and season to taste.

Lentil Chili

100g red lentils
    2 sticks of celery
    1 onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 tin of kidney beans
    1 small tin of sweetcorn

1 tsp of cumin
    2 tsp of paprika
    1 tsp chili flakes
    1 tsp of dried oregano
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 stick of cinnamon
    2 bay leaves

Chop the celery, onion, garlic, half of the red pepper and half of the green pepper, then put them in a food processor and blend until you've nearly got a paste.

Add some oil to a deep, wide frying pan, and add this blend. Stir and fry until the mixture goes dry and browns a little.
    Add the spices and keep frying for another minute. Now add the lentils, cinnamon, oregano and bay leaves. Add the tomatoes, fill the empty tin half with water and add that.
    Cover, and let it simmer until the lentils are soft (I put a lid on it and put it in the oven for 40 minutes at this point).
    Remove the cinnamon and bay leaves, add the drained kidney beans and sweetcorn. Season to taste.

Forgive my ignorance but is Chana Masala not a dish in itself? I make it quite a bit and wasn't aware there was also a spice mix called Chana Masala too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We should really move these over to the Chat thread. There’ll be complaints you know!

I meant to post my pic with my OT chat.:D

Steak, chips and side salad.

20190813_215714.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but is Chana Masala not a dish in itself? I make it quite a bit and wasn't aware there was also a spice mix called Chana Masala too? :confused:

There are a number of masalas out there - most of them named after what ingredient they'd mostly go with. So Chana Masala is chickpea spice, Chai Masala is tea spice, Chaat Masala is spice for Chaat (a potato and fried bread dish), you can get Tandoori Masala, Biriyani Masala, etc.
    In the Pakistani shop where I'd normally get my spices, I've even seen packets labeled Chicken Masala, Meat Masala and Kebab Masala.

The Chana Masala I'm using at the moment is a pack I brought back from India, but you can buy it in the shops here, too.

I think the reason the spice and the dish have the same name is that when you translate them to English, one would be "chickpea spice" and the other "spiced chickpeas".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or, perhaps, move them to a new," Nostalgic Food - Good and bad", thread?

Or, perhaps, move them to a new," Nostalgic Food - Good and bad", thread?

Done! :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006609

Toor Dahl

Lentil Chili

100g red lentils
    2 sticks of celery
    1 onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 tin of kidney beans
    1 small tin of sweetcorn

1 tsp of cumin
    2 tsp of paprika
    1 tsp chili flakes
    1 tsp of dried oregano
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 stick of cinnamon
    2 bay leaves

I think I'll give this a bash tonight along with my regular Chana Masala.

Was the recipe about in your original pic Shenshen?

• Advertisement

As above. I had Chana Masala (very hot!!) and Lentil Chilli tonight.

488160.jpeg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As above. I had Chana Masala (very hot!!) and Lentil Chilli tonight.

Now, that's what I call fusion cooking! :D
    Looks very tasty indeed!

Now, that's what I call fusion cooking! :D
    Looks very tasty indeed!

I know I'm such a dope. In my haste to get a shopping list together before I left work I didn't read your post correctly. It wasn't until I was buying the ingredients that I thought "wait a minute this is just a veg chilli!" :rolleyes::D I think it was the lentils that confused me!

I was in a cooking mood last night anyway and it was nice to make two nice veggie dishes. I've never added sweetcorn to a chilli before. I really liked it.

488348.jpg
    488349.jpg
    488350.jpg

Spiced with my own homemade dry rub and bbq corn in cob, fired on indirect heat.
    Also some onions, from garden, mushrooms in an oiled tray, over direct heat. Flavoured with some rosemary picked fresh

Oh and a 10 Year Old Single Malt Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Simple, fast food here perforce as off my feet somewhat in my old age,,,..

Favourite this week is a baked potato, with grated raw apple and grated cheese. Butter of course. ;)

I went for a long cycle yesterday, so coming back dinner had to be simple and fast. I went through the garden for some fresh summer veg (peas and broad beans) as well as lots of herbs, and made yummy pasta with it:

mNLV5pD.jpg

Not dinner, but a pre-dinner snack there from meal-prep Sunday. Didn't want the skin to be in my chicken tikka in the slow cooker due to the fat content, so pulled it off and roasted it with some salt and pepper..

WSqF2UZ.jpg?1

Unhealthy as ****, but screw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not dinner, but a pre-dinner snack there from meal-prep Sunday. Didn't want the skin to be in my chicken tikka in the slow cooker due to the fat content, so pulled it off and roasted it with some salt and pepper..

Unhealthy as ****, but screw it.

Possibly my favourite thing to eat, ever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Possibly my favourite thing to eat, ever:D

Agree. But very bold.:D

This evening it was a dinner based on quick and convenient. Chicken wraps filled with mixed peppers, spicy cheese and sweet chilli sauce. More sweet chilli sauce on top too. Birdseye spicy wedges. Rocket leaves with some red bell pepper and french dressing. A bit of potato salad to cool things down. Once again, only the Air Fryer and George Foreman. Done in 15 mins.

20190820_171740.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lunch.....
    b7IcKcvl.jpg

C0HXJsel.jpg

Advertisement