Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We had a high greater than 20, just about, for the 24th time this month. The high was 20.2C within the last hour. There's a bit more blue sky about now. It's currently 19.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Castlebar : dry clear and sunny. 8 degrees. Lots of dew on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful morning on the coast of north Dublin. Feels like it might be another warm one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A perfection of a morning out here. Shining flat ocean with just the tide motion.. I was out very early with the cats, and we watched the sun rise golden and dazzling. No one else around and utter peace and glory.

whatever the day brings, this is a sheer perfect beauty,
    we walked the long lanes, just rapt in it all.

Wild flowers glowing and all so still

West mayo offshore island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful warm and sunny morning here in Dunshaughlin. Make the most of the next few days as things turn unsettled from Sunday which could be the beginning of a prolonged spell of unsettled weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    beautiful warm and sunny morning here in Dunshaughlin. Make the most of the next few days as things turn unsettled from Sunday which could be the beginning of a prolonged spell of unsettled weather.
    Heading off for a road trip in and around the Alps for 9 days from Saturday morning so I shall make the most of the fine weather today and tomorrow and get my tan topped up so I fit in better with the locals, complexion wise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Thank god I'm going closer to the equator soon, I'll need a good dose of sun to get me through the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ventusky has a 100% cloud cover for the whole country at the moment :confused:

....that website is pretty crap of late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy in West cork atm. It is about 18 degrees apperantly but doesn't feel like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ah now,how many times has that been said up to now,and tbh on the whole it's been a lovely summer to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Ah now,how many times has that been said up to now,and tbh on the whole it's been a lovely summer to be fair

its been very average down south tbh. Yesterday was drizzling from west cork up till the edge of cork city but eventually it moved over the city. Evening was meh at home but nice in west cork (albeit chilly)

Been cloudy most of july really besides that week at the start/2nd week. June was pretty meh too had about 3 days of nice weather, during my exams was heavy rain etc (Not gonna complain about that though hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

With July at a 6/10 for me in the end and June at a 2/10, this gives a summer rating of 4/10. Would take a pretty special August to save the summer for me which does not look like happening for the 16th consecutive year. August is my least favourite month of the year anyway so the faster this is over, the better. Also can't wait for college. As I repeatedly keep saying (I'm like a broken record by this stage), it's the lack of sunshine, not the frequency of warm days nor the rain totals. Admittedly, last week wasn't that bad in Dublin whilst most of Ireland had plentiful cloud. As for Tuesday's downpours, well I never got them... this summer loves me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gosh I must be easily pleased . Am in Dublin and would give this summer
    7/10 or so . We are out most days and its grand once it doesn’t rain

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Gosh I must be easily pleased . Am in Dublin and would give this summer
    7/10 or so . We are out most days and its grand once it doesn’t rain
    Probably because you don't care once it doesn't rain. I love sunny days and torrential downpours (also extremes in general as a statistician and weather enthusiast). Usually, in an average Dublin summer, we see a good sunny day every few days but there have been prolonged periods with dull days this season like second half of May, first half of June, mid-July. Feels like I've lived in the northwest at times when this is meant to be the sunny east and southeast. Not to mention, most sunny days have tended to be of the hazy sort with poor visibility.

We were going to go to the beach on 14 July for instance but that one arc of cloud that came in off the Irish Sea ruined it whilst everybody else in Ireland had a superb day. We cancelled family swimming lessons for this. God I hate cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I give this summer in Limerick so far 7/10. We're looking at mainly unsettled weather for the first half of August. It could up to 180% rainfall and about normal temperatures although there will be warm and cool periods. There may be some very windy events as well. Thunder maybe an issue when we would at times have a centre of a depression sitting over Ireland at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So far I would give this summer:

June: 1/10
    July: 7/10 (however I spent most of it away) Probably the best month of the year so far it what has been a very dissapointing year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

its been very average down south tbh. Yesterday was drizzling from west cork up till the edge of cork city but eventually it moved over the city. Evening was meh at home but nice in west cork (albeit chilly)

Been cloudy most of july really besides that week at the start/2nd week. June was pretty meh too had about 3 days of nice weather, during my exams was heavy rain etc (Not gonna complain about that though hehe)

We"ve the relations from Kerry with us at the moment and they cant get over how fine it is round here and how dry
    My mum from that part of the world when she moved up here couldn't get over it either
    It never gets over warm but often pleasant
    We badly need rain and don't look like getting much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

I was also away for about half of July but from what I saw of it I'd give it 6/10. For me the single most important factor in an Irish summer is warmth. If you have that you can amble about in summer clothes, leave doors and windows open and not have to put on heat and the living is generally easier. Obviously dry weather is important too but I can tolerate a bit of rain once it's warm. I'd prefer overcast and 20C to sunny and 16C. Now I do love the sun but as I go away a lot in summer I get my dose of it abroad so it's not a big deal for me back home. However if I were home all the time I would be very frustrated at the lack of sun. And like Syran I'm a big cloud hater when abroad. :D Zero tolerance of poor weather abroad as we get so much here.

But back to today in Tralee,it's really overcast but warm enough. Am heading away for my last trip of the summer on Sunday. First to the north of France where it doesn't look hectic, but then 10 days in southern Spain where I'll get my last dose of hot sun. Hopefully September will deliver at home. It often does and shortens the winter.:)

acequion wrote: »
    I was also away for about half of July but from what I saw of it I'd give it 6/10. For me the single most important factor in an Irish summer is warmth. If you have that you can amble about in summer clothes, leave doors and windows open and not have to put on heat and the living is generally easier. Obviously dry weather is important too but I can tolerate a bit of rain once it's warm. I'd prefer overcast and 20C to sunny and 16C. Now I do love the sun but as I go away a lot in summer I get my dose of it abroad so it's not a big deal for me back home. However if I were home all the time I would be very frustrated at the lack of sun. And like Syran I'm a big cloud hater when abroad. :D Zero tolerance of poor weather abroad as we get so much here.

But back to today in Tralee,it's really overcast but warm enough. Am heading away for my last trip of the summer on Sunday. First to the north of France where it doesn't look hectic, but then 10 days in southern Spain where I'll get my last dose of hot sun. Hopefully September will deliver at home. It often does and shortens the winter.:)
    Last time I had a sun holiday was August 2014 so lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No surprise that July came in warmer than average. National anomaly finished at 0.8c with 91% of the national average rainfall so generally a little drier than normal for most parts. (apologies if Syran has already posted these stats, I haven't looked back)

Some of the extremes:

Warmest: Phoenix Park: 16.8c (+1.2c)
    Coolest (Knock Apt: 15.0c (+1.1c)
    Wettest: Claremorris: 120.2mm (162%)
    Driest: Roches Pt. 32.5mm (52%)

From ze Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Too much cloud again when high pressure is here :( 23C temp inland North Dublin, lack of wind helps it make feel comfy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Warmest: Phoenix Park: 16.8c (+1.2c)

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Mortelaro wrote: »

I think it boils down to some people being happy with grey skies so long as it's warm and others wanting heat with clear skies, I'm in the latter camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Seanachai wrote: »
    I think it boils down to some people being happy with grey skies so long as it's warm and others wanting heat with clear skies, I'm in the latter camp.

I'm in your camp too

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Beautiful day in Connemara. Completely clear if you head towards the south facing coast, around Roundstone, beaches are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

A bit more cloud inland towards the mountains but broken and high cloud so very pleasant overall.

I agree, I think it’s been a lovely summer from mid June onwards. Very few days of rain and temps between 20-24 each day. After how poor the 1st half of June was, I am very pleasantly surprised how the summer has panned out since (can only speak for Dublin obviously)

quote="Mortelaro;110853044"]Ah now,how many times has that been said up to now,and tbh on the whole it's been a lovely summer to be fair[/quote]

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Eh?

That’s daily average including night time temperatures, the average daily high is about 21-22 degrees in Dublin in July.

Even warmer European cities would have daily averages in high teens when you factor in average across day and night vs average day time highs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Todays Sat image very reminscent of a good chunk of Summer 2014 with a clear coastal strip but most of the rest of the country under convective cloud or haze.

ie. 2014 for most of the country wouldnt have appealed to those who like clear skies no matter the temp but might have appealed to those that like warm temps even if its grey and cloudy all day. For the million of us in that eastern coastal strip though, Summer 2014 rivalled Summer 2013 for us IIRC because we got both clear skies and warm temps for a good portin of Summer 2014.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Todays Sat image very reminscent of a good chunk of Summer 2014 with a clear coastal strip but most of the rest of the country under convective cloud or haze.

ie. 2014 for most of the country wouldnt have appealed to those who like clear skies no matter the temp but might have appealed to those that like warm temps even if its grey and cloudy all day. For the million of us in that eastern coastal strip though, Summer 2014 rivalled Summer 2013 for us IIRC because we got both clear skies and warm temps for a good portin of Summer 2014.

Summer 2014 felt way better for sunshine than this summer to be honest. June for starters was far superior that year compared to 2019.

Advertisement