Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another brilliant day in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »
    And about five minutes after that back to blue skies :)

Absolutely roasted out of it working from home in my back garden

That's strange that there was complete cloud cover that appeared so suddenly and locally and then disappeared again within 5 minutes. Happened to be speaking to my parents in Baldoyle a short while ago and they said there were a couple of clouds but it was basically clear skies.

Was it overcast, as in solid grey sky in every direction or just a big cloud that happened to blot out the sun for a few minutes?

Normally, with an onshore breeze on the east coast, within a few km remains pretty much cloud free during periods of settled weather. I know from living in the area for the guts of 30 years. Fog would be the main issue but usually only in the first half of summer before sea temperatures have risen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

And about five minutes after that back to blue skies :)

Absolutely roasted out of it working from home in my back garden

And shur back in August 2019 you couldn't go out at all at all or you'd be roashted out of it!

Just messing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

highdef wrote: »
    That's strange that there was complete cloud cover that appeared so suddenly and locally and then disappeared again within 5 minutes. Happened to be speaking to my parents in Baldoyle a short while ago and they said there a couple of clouds but it was basically clear skies.

Was it overcast, as in solid grey sky in every direction or just a big cloud that happened to blot out the sun for a few minutes?

Normally, with an onshore breeze on the east coast, within a few km remains pretty much cloud free during periods of settled weather. I know from living in the area for the guts of 30 years. Fog would be the main issue but usually only in the first half of summer before sea temperatures have risen.

hard to describe - was quite a low lying blanket cloud that stretched as far as I could see... went in to grab a few bits in the shop and maybe 15 minutes later all blue skies.. Admittedly my long range of vision was obscured.

Was full sure it was going to be the onset of some heavy haze for the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And shur back in August 2019 you couldn't go out at all at all or you'd be roashted out of it!

Just messing:)

we have to very precise with our wordings here

I find it very hot in direct sunlight in the localised vicinity of my back garden where I'm sheltered from any onshore breezes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

we have to very precise with out wordings here

I find it very hot in direct sunlight in the localised vicinity of my back garden where I'm sheltered from any onshore breezes

Don't mind me lawred just me being a bit giddy on a bank holiday Friday, nothing to do with your phraseology!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

we have to very precise with out wordings here

That's more of a perception thing, rather than a wording thing. In my extremely sheltered back garden with full sun more or less all day, and covered in a lot a dark surfaces, shade temperature at the moment is 24.4c and there is no wind. I'm lying on a sun lounger and sweat is rolling of me however I find it extremely pleasant. Many others would find it extremely uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not in Ireland now but my Dad has been telling me it's beautiful in Dublin... why does RTE have clouds for the entire day? Do they not have windows in Montrose?

https://www.rte.ie/weather/22259-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm not in Ireland now but my Dad has been telling me it's beautiful in Dublin... why does RTE have clouds for the entire day? Do they not have windows in Montrose?

https://www.rte.ie/weather/22259-dublin/

I suppose it makes sense from a Meteorological perspective that their forecast is geographical based where the airtime limited TV forecast is for 9/10ths of the country to have x percentage chance of cloud. The fact that 50% of the population live in the remaining 1/10th of the country that has a much lower percentage chance of cloud (East Coast with On-shore Breeze holding back the cloud/preventing convective cloud) doesn't or cant come into it I guess. Its not even that they could sub-divide the TV forecast into Provinces or Counties given more airtime, because you'd still have to sub-divide the forecast for the Eastern Counties because there could be stark differences between Coastal Meath, Louth, Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford compared to inland Meath, Louth, Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford.

Or I could be talking nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a perfect day in Dunshaughlin, blue skies and warm, 22C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Powerful day in Arklow too
    Stores must be running out of shorts and flip flops down here ,everyone seems to have them on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Powerful day in Arklow too
    Stores must be running out of shorts and flip flops down here ,everyone seems to have them on

Are ye in a drought down there? Land must be very dry. The west got some heavy rain a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

One of the best days of the summer here today

Dismal performance from Harmonie model for coastal areas due to sea fog bias

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm

Mount dillon 24 degrees
    Belmullet also doing well at 23 degrees.

Just back from a day at the beach and lots of swimming . Almost too hot , Bettystown Co Meath (but not complaining coz I’m off work !)
    We’ve had a truly fabulous 6 weeks here , really warm and lots of sunshine !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

One of the nicest days of the year in Dublin. Was out in it all day, fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A lovely day to have off and to visit some beaches around Westport and Louisburgh, still about 24C outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's still a beautiful sunny day in Glasnevin. It's down to 20.8C here now. The day's high was 24.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was nice until about 6pm in West cork, clouds have rolled in now though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No complaints from me, another great day weather wise in Dublin with lots of hazy sunshine again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

T’is a great country if you get the weather!!

One of those nights where you can sit out and enjoy a beer without saying theres a cool breeze. Warm and Calm

9pm

Markree,Mount Dillon and Shannon @ 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What's the weather looking like for sunday night in the south east? Gorey area? Planning on some outdoor drinking in town as the festival is on and still unsure of the weather?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

25c in Sligo town today seems to hv been countrys hottest

Car was 26c but weather station thermometer 25.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah I can live on yesterday for a long while.. My face feels slightly tightened after sitting out for hours and raising my face , eyes closed, to the heat.

Very quiet now and dark heavy clouds rolling in. But the hay is in and all is well.

Just was summer encapsulated,

West Mayo offshore island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very (too) warm yesterday afternoon until the breeze kicked in, clammy this morning but the clouds are breaking which will please AllTogetherNow and the Spraoi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Very heavy shower in East Cork just now.

Found myself singing Las Vegas....and the hills of Donegal in the latest met eireann forecast

Sunday will start mainly dry and bright with sunny spells. Showers will develop from early morning in the southwest, moving north and east through the day, becoming heavy and with a chance of thunder, particularly in the north and northwest where there is a risk of occasional downpours over the hills of Donegal. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light to moderate southeast wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Found myself singing Las Vegas....and the hills of Donegal in the latest met eireann forecast

Sunday will start mainly dry and bright with sunny spells. Showers will develop from early morning in the southwest, moving north and east through the day, becoming heavy and with a chance of thunder, particularly in the north and northwest where there is a risk of occasional downpours over the hills of Donegal. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light to moderate southeast wind

Always getting special treatment that County ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Are the rain radars working?It's been raining all morning here in West Cork with some heavy showers yet according to netweather and Met Eireann we are dry.

Advertisement