Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Nice so the heat pipe is how they can go passive. Never actually looked at a picture of that board till you posted it.
    If you look at the heatsink its the old fin style which is brilliant for heat dissipation. Its a much better cooler than a standard Asus lump of aluminum.

Looking forward to getting this installed.

Open it up and show a pic of the board also :). I've decided to hold off on the 3950x but I'm going to build the rest of the pc in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

deceit wrote: »
    If you look at the heatsink its the old fin style which is brilliant for heat dissipation. Its a much better cooler than a standard Asus lump of aluminum.

Why is there a kink in the heat pipe beside the two capacitors next to the CPU socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lovely motherboard to be fair. Personally, I've always been a fan of cheapo motherboards, rather spend the cash on higher end CPU/GPU. You could literally build a decent 1080P machine for the cost of the board alone!

Obviously not applicable in this case as I'm sure deceit has more than enough use for it, but it amazes me the amount of people who splash crazy cash on high-end motherboards just because they assume more expensive = better, despite the fact that in most cases, they have zero uses for the extra features they're paying for.

Lovely motherboard to be fair. Personally, I've always been a fan of cheapo motherboards, rather spend the cash on higher end CPU/GPU. You could literally build a decent 1080P machine for the cost of the board alone!

Obviously not applicable in this case as I'm sure deceit has more than enough use for it, but it amazes me the amount of people who splash crazy cash on high-end motherboards just because they assume more expensive = better, despite the fact that in most cases, they have zero uses for the extra features they're paying for.
    This is going to be for my rig in Ireland so I will use it at most one week per month so its extremely overkill. I could've got another threadripper rig and would've been more than enough for my work needs while in Ireland. I mostly work from the office in Ireland so a slower rig there is less of a problem. (Work remotely in Germany 3 weeks a month, the remaining I work from the office in Dublin).
    My main rig where I need a lot of ram / high specs is in Germany with me. Threadripper even if slower cpu wise, still suits my work needs better so I won't change that for the moment, may upgrade from 1950x to a 2950x at most.
    I have to admit I bought it mostly because its a pretty board with 10gb networking so I didn't have to put another card in it and loads of IO on the back. Well that and being watercooled, the small fan would most likely be audible as at the moment the watercooled rig that would be upgraded, you can't hear so that would drive me nuts.
    It would be overkill for me if I'm being honest but it will be a very high spec system.

• Advertisement

Why is there a kink in the heat pipe beside the two capacitors next to the CPU socket?
    To keep the pipe away from the capacitors.

To keep the pipe away from the capacitors.

I see that alright. I googled the board after I posted that comment. From your pics it looks like it is only kinked on the side towards the RAM sockets and I thought it was a bit weird so I asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So the son was gaming all night, core temp monitoring while hes doing it max temp 86. It's idling at bloody 60 too with this weather we're having not helping!

I'll examine the cooler tomorrow just in case but I'm certain its all good. 4 case fans 3 intake and one exhaust, exact same placement as in the picture Terror has up in the picture thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

.G. wrote: »
    So the son was gaming all night, core temp monitoring while hes doing it max temp 86. It's idling at bloody 60 too with this weather we're having not helping!

I'll examine the cooler tomorrow just in case but I'm certain its all good. 4 case fans 3 intake and one exhaust, exact same placement as in the picture Terror has up in the picture thread.

My 3600x is around those temps. I reseated mine with new paste rather than what can pre applied and it made no difference. Bearing in mind I'm in Brisbane winter right now. Once it starts hitting mid 30c in summer I dunno how it'll cope and I'll have to likely invest in a new aftermarket cooler.

I am hoping the new BIOS release or perhaps new chipset drivers might assist with these temps as it does seem voltage related and the chip is very keen to max boost and pull current even doing simple things and a lot of people are talking about this in AMD reddit and they also seem to be looking into it.

I'm also definitely having issues with the power plans. On ryzen balanced it might be 'normal' as per the reddit thread LINK but then after the pc is on for a while with nothing active but the desktop the cpu stops trying to idle and stays at 4.2ghz with 1.4v which isn't right. Interestingly I just looked at that thread, looks like there's an announcement due soon from AMD.

Anyway, long story short I'd say hold on a bit and see if new BIOS/chipset drivers sort this out.

Yeah i had to change ours to the modified windows balanced plan as suggested by AMD because it would not drop below 1v at all on any of the ryzen plans. Was always above 1.4v regardless of load. Now it drops to 0.9 but temps still high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Temps of mid 80's wont cause the chips any harm.
    Think of the "free" heating in the winter time...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Can anyone recommend a M.2 NVME 1TB drive? Just ordered a b450 board.

Redfox25 wrote:
    Temps of mid 80's wont cause the chips any harm. Think of the "free" heating in the winter time...........

Yeah his room is like a bloody sauna now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Polar101

Installed my 3700X and MSI Mortar B450M now.

- BIOS flash worked on the second attempt
    - System started on first attempt

Having the voltage issues, 1.4-1.5V "idle" on Ryzen power plan and around 1.2V idle on Windows balanced. Temps are 40-50C on idle.

Haven't tried any memory settings yet. At least the system started without issues which was nice.

EDIT: Works with XMP on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Avoid QLC for an OS drive.
    MLC > TLC, but the latter are generally cheaper per Gb.

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdssd&xf=16325_2%7E16325_3%7E222_1000%7E252_960%7E4832_3%7E4836_7

I was looking at the 1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro as its pretty much the same speed as the Samsung 970 pro at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Youtuber Bitwit has the 12 core in a tiny itx system with zero space and a tiny aio and it works fine if a little hot.

I'd be curious how this compares temps wise to a 1600 or 2600?

The 1700 was fine at stock settings with its tiny little bundled cooler, it'd idle in the mid 30s and top out at low 70s under Prime95 or Aida64.

I've got it set permanently at 3.8G on all 8 cores, 1.37-1.38v; The stock cooler wouldn't cope well with it (low 90s under stress test), but a modest AIO (Masterliquid 240) keeps it in the low 30s idle and mid-60s in Prime95/OCCT/Aida.

I'd assume a 1600 to be a bit chillier or at least on similar levels?

Yeah i had to change ours to the modified windows balanced plan as suggested by AMD because it would not drop below 1v at all on any of the ryzen plans. Was always above 1.4v regardless of load. Now it drops to 0.9 but temps still high.

Still idling around 60c with 0.9v? If that's the case, then a check of the cooling is a good idea...

Yeah his room is like a bloody sauna now!

DeepCool Gammax 400 - £18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'll be applying my paste on my 3600 when it arrives in a diagonal line running along the centre of the Z in Ryzen and not to the edge and two dots to fill heatspreader for maximum contact with heatsink.

q9gzi8s8p3a312.jpg

If I was applying paste to a multi chip-let design, I would use a Y pattern through the R in Ryzen and branch at the center of the Z, and not to the edges.

q9gzi8s8p3a31.jpg

Amd recommend and X pattern. You could also do a rice size over each chiplett.

Well that's my 2c :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'll be applying my paste on my 3600 when it arrives in a diagonal line running along the centre of the Z in Ryzen and not to the edge and two dots to fill heatspreader for maximum contact with heatsink.

q9gzi8s8p3a312.jpg

If I was applying paste to a multi chip-let design, I would use a Y pattern through the R in Ryzen and branch at the center of the Z, and not to the edges.

q9gzi8s8p3a31.jpg

Amd recommend and X pattern. You could also do a rice size over each chiplett.

Well that's my 2c :cool:

Mmm...there are plenty of clips on YT that pretty much prove it makes little to no difference at all due to the heat spreader. I've actually tried various approaches personally over the years and can pretty much confirm it - the old days of the AthlonXP and its "surgical precision paste application" are well and truly gone :)

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Mmm...there are plenty of clips on YT that pretty much prove it makes little to no difference at all due to the heat spreader. I've actually tried various approaches personally over the years and can pretty much confirm it - the old days of the AthlonXP and its "surgical precision paste application" are well and truly gone :)

While I would agree with that statement in general, I think the method of application will have to change to account for the chiplett design under the ihs. The dissipated heatsource is no longer localized on the heatspreader.

AMD have stated that they recommend an X pattern application of tim for Ryzen cpu's to account for this fact.

job done ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Mmm... word salad. Too bad I ate it all :pac:

We now resume our scheduled programming.

H3llR4iser wrote:
    Still idling around 60c with 0.9v? If that's the case, then a check of the cooling is a good idea...

When i say idling at 0.9v, it dors that for a millisecond before headinf back to its natural habitat above 1.3 ish vokts. Its very rare tinsee it under a volt but it does get there occasionally which keber happened om the ryzen power plans. Definitely checking the cooling again though.
    AMD have stated that they recommend an X pattern application of tim for Ryzen cpu's to account for this fact.

And yet the stock cooler they supply with these chips has a big circular dollop of TIM pre applied to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

After the MSI livestream, I decided to return my B450 Tomahawk

@1:40:32 someone asks:

"Should I return my B450 tomahawk or trust that you will fix it?"

They reply:

"If you just purchased it , you should return it"

They are getting a lot of hate on reddit about it.

I have still yet to successfully boot into the Windows installer, never mind windows. It has posted 3 times since I got it. Red CPU debug light haunts me.

I've no idea what board I want to buy though. I don't really have any need for the x570, but I don't have a early gen ryzen to do updates on motherboards without USB flashback. Any suggestions?

I would suggest getting a x470 and getting the place you buy it from to update the bios to support the 3000 series but make sure it's a board with a good bios unlike MSI.

I think scan update the bios for you and another place I think it was CCL but that is from the top of my head so CCL could be completely wrong look back in this thread a few pages someone mentioned it.

edit: It was cclcomputers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

On a thread the other day a rep said:

'Though I do feel its been stated before, here it is one more time...

Getting a stable GSE Lite BIOS for B450/X470/etc. boards is top priority at the moment. We are hoping new BIOS versions are released by the end of the month. There was an AGESA change from AMD which may affect the timeline a bit. As such, any information regarding future BIOS releases containing only support for 3rd gen is not fully fleshed out so we cannot comment on that more specifically.

No, there is no plan at this time to "abandon" support for the original B450, simply because of B450 MAX version releases for certain model motherboards.'

For me, it's a minor hassle right now. I've tried today to see if putting the pc to sleep works better than shutting down. I've noticed a few times (due to not changing my power plan details) that it's woken from sleep every time. I'm happy to wait, I don't need fancy BIOS options, just a dependable board that will boot without trying 5 times.

Might be of interest to Ryzen budget hunters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF8EuEfKH3Q

Might be of interest to Ryzen budget hunters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF8EuEfKH3Q

A320 has shít VRMs, low port quantity & no overclocking features at all, plus AMD don't support it either.
    IMHO you're asking to throw money away.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A320 has shít VRMs, low port quantity & no overclocking features at all, plus AMD don't support it either.
    IMHO you're asking to throw money away.
    If you watch the video you will see he was monitoring temps on the vrms and didn't have any issues with it.
    If all you want is a basic fast rig on a budget it could be useful for some. Its not like the low end am3 boards that throttled cpu's like crazy as would hit 100c on the vrms.

He was getting temps in the 70's on the vrms. Even being low quality should be fine just don't expect to go over the 65w tdp parts like he stated.
    Zen 2 is not a good overclocker so thats no loss losing that feature tbh.

Advertisement