Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm pretty tempted to get a new motherboard, I'm not sure I have much faith it will be resolved in the next couple of weeks since MSI apparently can't reproduce it. What would people recommend? (3700x)

I know it's silly, but I'm so deflated this morning! I've been talking about making a new PC for a couple of years and it's finally here and it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

What would people recommend? (3700x)

X570, but then you are paying a premium. At least they should work straight away.

Polar101 wrote: »
    X570, but then you are paying a premium. At least they should work straight away.

Yeah, minimum of a £100 price difference to even get the cheapest x570. But with no ETA on a fix for the b450, I'm not sure if I have much choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yeah, minimum of a £100 price difference to even get the cheapest x570. But with no ETA on a fix for the b450, I'm not sure if I have much choice

Did you try removing the cmos battery, installing an older (like much older) version of the bios and updating step by step?

Did you try removing the cmos battery, installing an older (like much older) version of the bios and updating step by step?

I started by going to the latest released version of the Bios with V19

When that didn't work I went to V191 next I believe (the one from the reddit post)

I then Tried v18

I believe it was here I got the closest thing I've had to a sign of life, where basically the GPU fans werent kicking in 100%

It's a poor camera angle, but here is the thing I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/embed/yevT8_uo2-Q?start=8132

I then moved to using a different USB stick and tried V18 again. I then tried V17, and then V18 again and got no where.

• Advertisement

Wait, you don't even have the CPU installed yet do you?

I reinstalled 191 with a yet another different memory stick and it actually posted! I had stuff on screen, it was magical. I turned off the computer to install the M2 drive and it hasn't posted since.
    Wait, you don't even have the CPU installed yet do you?

Yeah I do, you can't test it without having the CPU installed.

The first install i did was with nothing but the PSU and motherboard. Everything I have done since has had a CPU installed.

Take out the CPU, clear the cmos by removing the battery, install the oldest version you can find and then step up gradually from there to the newest version without the CPU installed. Then check and let it boot cycle a few times before giving up. If that doesn't work just return the board to Amazon and buy something else.

Take out the CPU, clear the cmos by removing the battery, install the oldest version you can find and then step up gradually from there to the newest version without the CPU installed. Then check and let it boot cycle a few times before giving up. If that doesn't work just return the board to Amazon and buy something else.

I've seen stuff like this posted on other place but most of this stuff makes no sense to me at least
    • Remove CPU - I don't see how removing the CPU before doing a process that doesn't involve the CPU (a separate microcontroller flashing a flash chip) could have any impact
    • Remove CMOS - I could maybe see this one having an impact to make sure no settings are retained
    • Increment through Bios versions- I don't see how writing something to a flash chip and then replacing it with something else on the flash chip could make it work any better

Other common things I've seen like removing the reset switch makes no sense to me either.

Mine does not boot cycle (if Boot cycling is it restarting automatically when it fails to post), it just stays constant. The one time it did post it seemed like it cycled a couple of times, but I'm not fully sure.

I might give it a go at lunch time, but im not holding out much hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So running ryzen master and ran prime 95 with max stress on cpu. CPU jumps up to 90c and was rising rapidly towards the 95c limit. At idle the voltage reading shows 1.43 and when the stress test was going it dropped to 1.3 soomething.

Right now I don't know what ambient is in this room but without any heating the weather outside is 15c.

So... Is this indicative of the BIOS not being great. The cooler mounted badly?

EDIT: GOnna follow the instructions on the AMD reddit thread.. Just waiting for a windows update to do it's thing.

EDIT 2: So.... using cpuz I can see my voltages go sub 1v as the AMD reddit thread say they should. Am I wrong to think the temps are wildly off if they're not stopping and going up towards 95c on stock cooler? I'll try taking the cooler off tomorrow and using my own thermal paste see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Had my second ever post. Plugged in everything again at lunch time and it booted up pretty quickly.

Pressed reset after plugging in my windows 10 USB key and it hasn't posted since.

So just to confirm, I disconnected the motherboard from the PSU and GPU this morning, and at lunch i plugged them back in. I didn't flash anything new etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Polar101 wrote: »
    So.. on an MSI B450 motherboard, only need to do the following:

- Disconnect reset button or it won't boot properly

Today is the day I learn that reset and power switches are open circuits that you disrupt when you press the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

For anyone thinking about X470 vs X570 here's a test of Pcie 3.0 vs Pcie 4.0.
    Corsair MP600 Test
    Not a major difference, not worth the additional extra for X570.

Had my second ever post. Plugged in everything again at lunch time and it booted up pretty quickly.

Pressed reset after plugging in my windows 10 USB key and it hasn't posted since.

So just to confirm, I disconnected the motherboard from the PSU and GPU this morning, and at lunch i plugged them back in. I didn't flash anything new etc

I'm finding reset/restart won't boot but a cold boot does. Try holding power button till it shuts off then boot rather than using reset.

EDIT: Scrap that.... sort of just does what it wants :D Getting some hard locks in Overwatch now but I think it was alt tabbing and nvidia overlay cos the option to screen shot kept popping up when it crashed, I've turned it off now to see if that helps. RIP all my SR from the night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Prime 95 will generate silly amounts of heat. Try something like AIDA64 or Real bench for stress testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I haven't bothered stress testing ours as the idle temps are high enough without stressing it with prime! It plays games without issue, that's all my son is arsed with!

The voltage in ours won't drop below 1.4 even when idle on the Ryzen balanced power plan so I've followed amds steps on the reddit thread and run it with the modified Windows balanced plan, then it settles below a volt at idle but even then the idle temps are rarely below 50c. These things are just much hotter than we're used to.

Prime 95 will generate silly amounts of heat. Try something like AIDA64 or Real bench for stress testing.

I appreciate that but am I wrong thinking that my overclocked 3770k went high but stable temps in prime so shouldn't this cope or will prime just overload a stock cooller especially when this has more cores?

ok so in aida sys stabilty test with cpu/fpu etc ticked it holds at 79c and steady.

I appreciate that but am I wrong thinking that my overclocked 3770k went high but stable temps in prime so shouldn't this cope or will prime just overload a stock cooller especially when this has more cores?

ok so in aida sys stabilty test with cpu/fpu etc ticked it holds at 79c and steady.

Pre Haswell chips didn't get anywhere near as hot in Prime95.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't they know about the Rom size issue during the Zen2 testing phase? Surely they would check B450/X470 boards? They could roll out the "Max" before the launch.
    This whole thing looks to me like they just went with "doesn't matter what happens just sell them" attitude.

• Advertisement

I think I'm just going to return my B450 and not bother building and get a Max board when they become available.
    Don't need the headache.

Is it just the MSI boards having this issue or is it all the makers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bit of a disater for those that dont want to pay for expensive X570,i wouldnt want to pay for one either.

Not having B550 boards at launch sux.

I think I'm just going to return my B450 and not bother building and get a Max board when they become available.
    Don't need the headache.

Is it just the MSI boards having this issue or is it all the makers?

I think the main issue is MSI have the most boards with BIOS flashback so most people bought them, especially the cheap ones so all the issues seem to be MSI specific. The ASUS ones that have it are x470 and are the same price as some mid and lower range x570 boards so people probably just spent their money on the x570 instead.

I'd give the build a go but unlike others I'd start with the first bios released for it that enabled the 3000 chips and see what happens, then try the later ones. While there is a lot of noise from those having issues understandably, how many more didn't have any at all and therefore nobody hears from them? Like me, first available BIOS loaded, booted straight away.

If it doesn't work you can still box it up and send it back.

The thing is i have an Intel build too so I'm not really in any hurry. I just don't want to waste a day of one of the few weekends I get off messing around with BIOS issues.

Feck it, I'll give it a go. Is yours still working without issue?

Feck it, I'll give it a go. Is yours still working without issue?

Yep, boots everytime without issue.

Biostar Enables PCIe 4.0 on X470 and B450 Motherboards

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/biostar-pcie-4.0-x470-b450-motherboards,39978.html

I'm just wondering. With future BIOS updates, will the 16mb BIOS chip mean that all future BIOS's be limited on older boards?

I'm just wondering. With future BIOS updates, will the 16mb BIOS chip mean that all future BIOS's be limited on older boards?

There's talk of removing Ryzen 1st Gen support but who knows at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm going to try if I can get the MSI B450M Mortar working next week when my 3700x finally arrives, and if there are issues I think I'll just wait till B550 releases next year. I don't like the X570 prices, and the fact that there are no mATX models (except one Gigabyte board?). And I really don't want a fan on my motherboard, that brings back bad memories from 15 years ago.

Advertisement