Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Curious on your thoughts as to whether or not MSI will come through with a proper permanent solution to their B450 motherboard issues with Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

I'm currently in possession of a B450 Carbon Pro, some Ballistix LT RAM and a 1TB SX8200 Pro.... just need to decide on a CPU.

I keep flip flopping between just grabbing a 2700x and be done with it or wait to see if MSI come through with a proper fix for 3000 series. I also have thought about grabbing a X570 board but paying over twice the price is not too tempting.

.G. wrote: »
    Christ he's annoying! :D

One of the very few 'Techtubers' i cannot watch. Along with that UFD Tech goon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

One of the very few 'Techtubers' i cannot watch. Along with that UFD Tech goon.

He sounds like someone has given Barney too much amphetamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Curious on your thoughts as to whether or not MSI will come through with a proper permanent solution to their B450 motherboard issues with Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

I'm currently in possession of a B450 Carbon Pro, some Ballistix LT RAM and a 1TB SX8200 Pro.... just need to decide on a CPU.

I keep flip flopping between just grabbing a 2700x and be done with it or wait to see if MSI come through with a proper fix for 3000 series. I also have thought about grabbing a X570 board but paying over twice the price is not too tempting.

I got a gaming plus for my sons upgrade and its worked from day one. It's one of the few MSI hasn't bothered to release beta bios for but the stable ones have worked just fine. The tomahawk seems to be the most troublesome one, not sure about the carbon pro.

Either way the fixes can't be too far off now so I'd just wait it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Tomahawk seems to be the main issue. Carbon/Gaming/Mortar all seem to be relatively fine.

• Advertisement

Except for the Carbon that posted once for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Am I correct in saying MSi's boards are the main ones to have issues?

There doesn't seem to be reports of issues with the other brands, at least I haven't read them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think it is more to do with they were the only company with flash back without a CPU from last gen. Nearly every board maker has it in X570. So most people bought MSI B450 boards and then there were issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

deceit wrote: »
    Yea thats what I was expecting which is why I was asking about it.
    Pubg and h1z1 at the time at 3440x1440 on ultra on an ultrawide. It seemed like it got stuck on a frame for a little too long every once in a while (drove me nuts).

Very strange. Ryzen 3600 is a great CPU (have one myself now) but again I can't see it being much of an upgrade on the 5X i7's with decent DDR3 fast ram.

I know I have a secondary machine with an old i7-4790, 2133mhz ram, and zero problems playing OW, Apex, BFV, etc, definitely no stuttering!

Not trying to **** on the upgrade path, because I completely get the logic of going to a new platform, but it's definitely not normal for a 5X i7 CPU on X99 to experience problems like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Very strange. Ryzen 3600 is a great CPU (have one myself now) but again I can't see it being much of an upgrade on the 5X i7's with decent DDR3 fast ram.

I know I have a secondary machine with an old i7-4790, 2133mhz ram, and zero problems playing OW, Apex, BFV, etc, definitely no stuttering!

Not trying to **** on the upgrade path, because I completely get the logic of going to a new platform, but it's definitely not normal for a 5X i7 CPU on X99 to experience problems like that.

Did you quote the wrong person, mine is a 1950x? 6c12t vs 16c32t. I wouldn't have upgraded to a 3600. My spare rig is an 1800x which is getting upgraded to a 3950x when its released (bought an x570 aorus extreme in prep for it).
    My previous rigs where the 5820k and 3820 based before they were replaced.

The fps was better on the 5820k, it just stuttered occasionally which annoyed me. A few times a round (Pubg - main game I played). BFV/Apex/OW are a lot easier to run than Pubg I'd expect with much smaller open areas?
    Admittedly the only one of them I ran was Apex but had no issues on any of my systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Price drop on 3600 to £185. Works out at about €205 on Amazon UK when paying in €'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Price drop on 3600 to £185. Works out at about €205 on Amazon UK when paying in €'s.

Very tempted but the BIOS issues are putting me off.
    I would imagine with the current price cuts Black Friday could see some better savings ?
    Hopefully the sterling keeps dropping as well

will56 wrote: »
    I would imagine with the current price cuts Black Friday could see some better savings ?
    You could look at one of the msi b450 boards without any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

will56 wrote: »

My MSI b450 Gaming Plus is stable with bios 19 and latest chipset drivers from AMD. I've had no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Typing this from my new machine at last!

Swapped out the motherboard from the B450 Tomahawk to the X570-p Prime and it has worked as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I called out Paul's hardware on twitter for releasing a video recommending the B450 Tomahak without even testing it works

Apparently it does work for him

X39HprS.png

I was actually kind of hoping it wouldn't, not to throw egg in his face or anything, but it definitely would have gotten the problem a lot of attention.

I had so many people over the past few weeks telling me I must have just done it wrong, or broke something or bought the wrong stuff. It would have been nice to be able to point to someone who clearly knows what they are doing and say, "see!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So after running a few of my games with NZXT CAM, I've come to the conclusion that I'm GPU-bound more than CPU-bound.

And this has nothing to do with the fact I don't want to take apart my rig for a CPU upgrade.

:pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So after running a few of my games with NZXT CAM, I've come to the conclusion that I'm GPU-bound more than CPU-bound.

And this has nothing to do with the fact I don't want to take apart my rig for a CPU upgrade.

:pac:
    It would depend on what type of game, Arma for example most would be cpu bound?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's the story with Ryzen 3000 and x470 motherboards? I came within a hair's breadth of pulling the trigger on a new build today, consisting of an MSI x470 Gaming Pro and Ryzen 3600, only to do a little more research and become afraid that this configuration might not even boot.

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you can flash these motherboards to work with 3000, but you'd need to have a 2000 CPU in there to even perform that procedure as the board won't even boot to get into the BIOS if there's a 3000 in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

briany wrote: »
    What's the story with Ryzen 3000 and x470 motherboards? I came within a hair's breadth of pulling the trigger on a new build today, consisting of an MSI x470 Gaming Pro and Ryzen 3600, only to do a little more research and become afraid that this configuration might not even boot.

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you can flash these motherboards to work with 3000, but you'd need to have a 2000 CPU in there to even perform that procedure as the board won't even boot to get into the BIOS if there's a 3000 in there.

You just need to update the bios. This is standard when a using a newer generation CPU on an older generation Mobo.

• Advertisement

You just need to update the bios. This is standard when a using a newer generation CPU on an older generation Mobo.

As I understand it, the MSI x470 Gaming Pro/Plus boards cannot have their BIOS flashed without their being a compatible CPU installed. This would mean that in order to upgrade the board to 3000, you would have to have a 2000 in there while doing the flashing. If you don't have a 2000 series laying around, then you either have to return the CPU, or find someone who has a 2000 for use, be it a private individual or PC repair shop, adding time spent and potential cost to the build.

briany wrote: »
    As I understand it, the MSI x470 Gaming Pro/Plus boards cannot have their BIOS flashed without their being a compatible CPU installed. This would mean that in order to upgrade the board to 3000, you would have to have a 2000 in there while doing the flashing. If you don't have a 2000 series laying around, then you either have to return the CPU, or find someone who has a 2000 for use, be it a private individual or PC repair shop, adding time spent and potential cost to the build.

They both have USB flashback and don't need a CPU, or even ram installed to be flashed to a newer bios.

For boards that don't have USB flash options you can order a boot kit from AMD where they'll send you a free kit with a stripped down CPU you can use to install the bios and then ship back to them, or you can order from CCL and add their "bios upgrade" add-on when picking your motherboard and they'll flash the newest bios onto the board for you before shipping.

They both have USB flashback and don't need a CPU, or even ram installed to be flashed to a newer bios.

Where are you getting that information from? This thread on the MSI forums says no Flashback on the Gaming Pro board.

Yea. The x470 Gaming Pro does not have the BIOS Flashback button.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You can buy from https://www.cclonline.com/ and they will update the bios on any X470 or b450 motherboard if you buy a motherboard with a 3000 Ryzen CPU.

Probably be better off going with the 2700. Much of a muchness between the two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Finally built my system.
    3700x, x570 auros ultra, 342 gigs of hyper x 3200.
    I didn't even bother with a custom cooler and I used the paste that came with the CPU, because I couldn't be arsed cleaning it off.

Hasn't gone above 60 degrees yet and idles around 40.

Not sure how to ensure the ram is running at 3200Mhz, just set the XMP profile in the bios.

Not sure how to ensure the ram is running at 3200Mhz, just set the XMP profile in the bios.

Check CPUZ and it will tell you what your ram is running at (bare in mind it will show half the actual speed as DDR = Double Data Rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Check CPUZ and it will tell you what your ram is running at (bare in mine it will show half the actual speed as DDR = Double Data Rate).

IN CPUZ:
    DRAM Freq is 1596.8Mhz
    latency is 16 clocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

, 342 gigs of hyper x 3200.

That's a lot of RAM. Probably be able to have 10 Chrome tabs open at once :eek:

Advertisement