Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Win win for me I think. Just need to activ8

Oh sweet Jaysus. You were completely ripped off. Any chance you can still bail out?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shedmanstyle

unkel wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jaysus. You were completely ripped off. Any chance you can still bail out?

Maybe if I don't activ8 the contract!

Please do not go ahead. You are very lucky if there still is a way out.

Please do not go ahead. You are very lucky if there still is a way out.

Not a chance Unkel , clearly I didn't sign anything nor was it offered- He wasn't a hard seller as such, I think from early on he knew he wasn't going to get an easy sale.

For companies like this, I always think of my parents and those of any generation that are not clued in. My folks fell for something like this years ago, Cost them €1500, for nothing but a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

My experience is that this is akin to the gold rush since the grant came in, I have posted elsewhere about my experiences so won't bore readers again.

Great care is required, do your homework, I reviewed balance sheet figures for the companies I had on my shortlist on the CRO and if the history and numbers did not support their story I was not interested, companies will do great business in this area and can disappear in a few years when the grants go, who will be there for you when that occurs, the guys who are around the longest that's who, the ones with decent balance sheets.

My install was completed a week ago, 4.2 kW on roof, 6kw battery, diverter, installation was seamless and impressive, happy to recommend by pm, paid nothing like some of the quotes here and I would not avtive8 that contract in a fit, happy enough so far, the app could be better and I'm getting power from the boost diverter to the immersion before my battery is full but that is just tweaking I think.

Negotiate hard, I see Energia are finally in the game, if you are a customer you can register for a special price lottery, check out their website, too late for me but might help somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

thos wrote: »
    How is it working with your Zappi so far?

Got my Zappi installed yesterday, also hybrid inverter with DC side batteries, but trying to get my head around the Zappi consuming power from the batteries instead of just pure surplus.

On eco++ mode it should be taking from solar only
    on eco + mode it will take from solar and the shortfall will come from battery and or grid ( try use this setting during the day time so most/all is coming from solar PV.

you might need to change some settings on the Zappi.
    If you charge at night time then I think it's going to drain the battery no mater what.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Surely the battery should have some configuration that can prevent discharge during the low tarriff times?
    If anythinyg you'd want to charge the battery during that time instead of discharging.

_dof_ wrote: »
    Surely the battery should have some configuration that can prevent discharge during the low tarriff times?
    If anythinyg you'd want to charge the battery during that time instead of discharging.

You can set the inverter to charge the battery at this time as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

13 Panels (4.55kw) with battery storage = €11,918 incl. VAT
    minus €3,800, total cost to you = €8,118.

That seems expensive, they have 5 free Eddie....have the prices gone up and now down?

I got a quote from local company today. Similar to my previous post. 2.4kW with diverter. 3.5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

I got a quote from local company today. Similar to my previous post. 2.4kW with diverter. 3.5k

Is that on a tile or slate roof. Including or +vat and is it before or after the seai grant. I assume 2.4kw on one face of the roof?

phester28 wrote: »
    Is that on a tile or slate roof. Including or +vat and is it before or after the seai grant. I assume 2.4kw on one face of the roof?

Tile roof. Including vat and after the grant and one face only. A small bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

sounds a bit high. i was getting quotes of 3.8k to 4k before grant for a 2kw with an east west split. So alot more work + a dearer inverter. Also mine was slate so tile should be quicker / easier. An extra panel of difference should only be 200 euro more IMO tops. actually thinking back i dont remember if that included the diverter so it could be about right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€11,000 for a 2.4kW PV with eddi system which after the grant and a bonus comes in at €7500. If I get 6 people to sign up I get the money back. Win win for me I think. Just need to activ8 the contract with them now.

That’s really really expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm shortly going to go for an east-West setup with 10 panels, diverter/Eddi. Looking for recommendations via PM.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

€11,000 for a 2.4kW PV with eddi system which after the grant and a bonus comes in at €7500. If I get 6 people to sign up I get the money back. Win win for me I think. Just need to activ8 the contract with them now.

That's about double the cost some other posters have. I had them out too and even with their own figures it was a15 year payback.

Imagine your relationship with your neighbours when they figure out you convinced them to pay twice the odds so you could get your one free!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Have my solar install in place for 2 weeks now. 16 panel 5.2kw array facing south, 5.2kw DC battery.
    28kwh generated yesterday, but 16kwh exported. The battery was charged by 11am.
    Zappi just installed and first time getting it on Eco+ today, so that is currently consuming 3.6kw, which is awesome to see. Export Margin set at 100w to avoid it using the battery, seems to be working well so far. Myenergi Hub on the way also so I can use the app to monitor the Zappi.

Talking to Daikin about my heat pump and how to get that working with the solar, so will keep looking at that. Needs a LAN Adapter and a meter, and should do it's own EDDI-like dynamic consumption. If anyone has worked with that setup, I'd love to hear from them!

It's been interesting getting my head around the battery maxing out at 2.4kw charge rate, so having surplus even when battery is not yet charged. But also trying to factor the Zappi in, on the basis that it needs >1.4kw to get started.
    The car is around a good bit during the day, so hoping to use Eco+ during the day, and then the Smart boost at night. The battery is not getting me through the night anyway, so at the moment I don't mind if the last of the battery is getting dumped into the car, it would get consumed over the night rate anyway. Will need to re-think that in the darker months when I'll be looking at charging the battery from the AC overnight.

Picked up a Smappee on eBay so hopefully that will replace my Efergy and help me identify specific devices/appliances, but I also want to split out EV charging costs and Heat Pump usage from general household usage (my brain still see's these as separate budgets) so hopefully it will help me do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

thos wrote: »
    Have my solar install in place for 2 weeks now. 16 panel 5.2kw array facing south, 5.2kw DC battery.
    28kwh generated yesterday, but 16kwh exported. The battery was charged by 11am.
    Zappi just installed and first time getting it on Eco+ today, so that is currently consuming 3.6kw, which is awesome to see. Export Margin set at 100w to avoid it using the battery, seems to be working well so far. Myenergi Hub on the way also so I can use the app to monitor the Zappi.

Talking to Daikin about my heat pump and how to get that working with the solar, so will keep looking at that. Needs a LAN Adapter and a meter, and should do it's own EDDI-like dynamic consumption. If anyone has worked with that setup, I'd love to hear from them!

It's been interesting getting my head around the battery maxing out at 2.4kw charge rate, so having surplus even when battery is not yet charged. But also trying to factor the Zappi in, on the basis that it needs >1.4kw to get started.
    The car is around a good bit during the day, so hoping to use Eco+ during the day, and then the Smart boost at night. The battery is not getting me through the night anyway, so at the moment I don't mind if the last of the battery is getting dumped into the car, it would get consumed over the night rate anyway. Will need to re-think that in the darker months when I'll be looking at charging the battery from the AC overnight.

Picked up a Smappee on eBay so hopefully that will replace my Efergy and help me identify specific devices/appliances, but I also want to split out EV charging costs and Heat Pump usage from general household usage (my brain still see's these as separate budgets) so hopefully it will help me do that.

What was the quote on that system?

https://greennews.ie/landmark-planning-rooftop-solar/

Looks like those of you who had worries about planning may find you have less to worry about now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

niallers1 wrote: »

Looks like those of you who had worries about planning may find you have less to worry about now.

That's actually great news. It's daft that we're trying to encourage people to install solar panels yet planning is restricting them from doing it.

• Advertisement

It would be better if they dropped the stupid planning restriction altogether.....unless you are talking about a 50 panel installation....it is idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

@ Thos, I tried unsuccessfully to get my NIBE heat pump/UFH to soak up some of my solar-PV surplus. My HP is a NIBE2040/VVM320. NIBE sells a dedicated accessory, their EME10, which is supposed to allow you to both heat your hot water and house from PV-surplus. I expected the large cyclinder and UFH to be good capacitors.

But the accessory doesn’t work. It consumes only a few hundred Watts (measured using my Smappee), presumably on the heating element in the cylinder, no matter how large the surplus (I also have a 5.2kW PV array). NIBE offered a refund but I’m frustrated because had I known I might’ve bought a different brand of heat pump. Wish you better luck with yours.

I also have a Zappi, with hub. I’ve found the hub/app useful only for upgrading the Zappi’s firmware. I’ve no battery and so haven’t encountered your issue with conflict between car and battery. In general I find the Zappi great despite its high price. Lovely to drive home this afternoon, plug in at about 17:00 and still pick up 3kWs from Eco+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

That's actually great news. It's daft that we're trying to encourage people to install solar panels yet planning is restricting them from doing it.

Like every thing in ireland, where are the consequences for the council here......

Ok done a long review of system this evening, from the bills and also the Owl....currently using 13500 units per year. Last 12 month 6000 day unit and year before 6500.

If I review the Owl it gives a kWh. It doesn't really spike over 4kWh during the day. Checked even back to winter and more peaks but still under the 4 during day.

So the question is, what should I expect to pay for a ~4kW system.

If I did go battery, probably 5Kwh, based on my usage of circa 2.5 per hour it will only cover 2 hours of electricity. Doesn't really seem worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If your going for a grant the logic of a battery increases. Also, remember you can charge the battery at night rate during low production months.

niallers1 wrote: »

Great news. I wasn't aware that case was still being fought. I was under the impression the previous decision that she had to take down the panels was final.

Panels on the front of the house and all. Not that I was worried about my own system where none of my panels can be seen from the public road.

I'll most likely plaster the north facing front of my house with panels too in a year or two when panels have dropped below €50 + VAT. FIT and even bigger batteries, here we come :)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok done a long review of system this evening, from the bills and also the Owl....currently using 13500 units per year.

Jaysus, the average house in Ireland only uses 3500 units per year! Do you run an electrically heated indoor swimming pool or something? :p

I'd get on with a 6kwp system pronto. And make sure you get a system where you can easily add on more batteries in a year or two.

Jaysus, the average house in Ireland only uses 3500 units per year! Do you run an electrically heated indoor swimming pool or something? :p

I'd get on with a 6kwp system pronto. And make sure you get a system where you can easily add on more batteries in a year or two.

Every company I have called says the same.....but based on the owl I just seem to have a fairly constant heavy load about 2kwh but not massive peaks....so a 6kW system would be dumping a lot into grid

That’s why I am thinking if I got a 4kW system that would clean up the bulk of it?

Or am I talking gibberish

it costs very little extra to go from 4kwp to 6kwp, about EUR1200 or so. Might as well go for it if you have the roof space as it would cost a lot more retrofitted later

Then add on batteries later when / if they become substantially cheaper and or just wait for the FIT. Worst case scenario with a low FIT of say 6c/kWh, and you not able to use a single kWh of the added output, so it will all go back to the grid unused, for the lousy fee of 6c, the additional 2kwp generating 2000kWh extra per year, the extra panels will fully pay for themselves in 10 years. In practice it will be only a fraction of that, maybe 4-5 years as you will use quite a bit of the extra power directly and or it will go through your battery and or it will charge your car. It's the financially best performing part of your system ;)

And even if we don't get a FIT, get an immersion diverter. Also worth no more than 6c/kWh, but it costs just €500 and it will heat a lot of water...

• Advertisement

it costs very little extra to go from 4kwp to 6kwp, a bit more than a grand. Might as well go for it if you have the roof space as it would cost a lot more retrofitted later

Then add on batteries later when / if they become substantially cheaper and or just wait for the FIT. Worst case scenario with a low FIT of say 5c/kWh, and you not able to use a single kWh of the added output, so it will all go back to the grid unused, for the lousy fee of 5c, the additional 2kwp generating 2000kWh extra per year, the extra panels will fully pay for themselves in 10 years. In practice it will be only a fraction of that, maybe 4-5 years. It's the financially best performing part of your system ;)

The batteries are too expensive and you only get 1k grant from the looks of it....

Advertisement