Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Great thread, thanks everyone. I am starting the process of getting quotes. I have an east-west facing aspect so they suggested 4 panels on each side. Proposal is:

3.2kwp Solar PV system
    8x 400w LG panels
    Hybrid inverter
    Fitting etc
    BER Cert

€6,700 less SEAI grants of €1,400 = €5,300 including VAT.

I’m mulling over whether to go with a battery as they are expensive. The Rep recommended a 3.5 kw Pylontech Li Ion one. Not sure if that is too big/small? About €1,600 for it, fitted. Would welcome any perspectives on that, whether the size is adequate and whether it is worth getting.

Motivation for doing this is it’s the right thing and we can save ourselves some money. Would welcome any feedback.

Cheers

g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

You would get an extra 1700 (maybe another 350 for the 0.5kw) worth of grant for getting it but you would also need a more expensive inverter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    You would get an extra 1700 (maybe another 350 for the 0.5kw) worth of grant for getting it but you would also need a more expensive inverter.

Try enphase micro inverter s

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Evd-Burner wrote: »

He's already included a hybrid inverter.

That means he'll get another €1000 subsidy for the battery and for the extra over 2kwp, so 1.2kwp * 700 = €840, or €1840 in total so it will be cheaper to add the battery now :)

€5300 -/- €240 = 5 grand, not a bad price for a battery system

@garbanzo, I would recommend that battery size too. You can very easily add another unit in a few years time when hopefully they are a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

unkel wrote: »
    He's already included a hybrid inverter.

That means he'll get another €1000 subsidy for the battery and for the extra over 2kwp, so 1.2kwp * 700 = €840, or €1840 in total so it will be cheaper to add the battery now :)

€5300 -/- €240 = 5 grand, not a bad price for a battery system

@garbanzo, I would recommend that battery size too. You can very easily add another unit in a few years time when hopefully they are a bit cheaper.

Would you not just get the smallest battery you can from that supplier (for the grant) and then you can always add further batteries if needed based on your usage profile?

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    Would you not just get the smallest battery you can from that supplier (for the grant) and then you can always add further batteries if needed based on your usage profile?

You could. But if you get the Pylontech US2000 (2.4kWh), you can only charge / discharge it at 25A

You can charge / discharge the US3000 at 37A

Makes quite a difference. If you put a single device on like a dishwasher, with the US2000 (limited to 1.2kW) you are already buying electricity from the grid even if your house has a small base load. Also with the US2000, a lot more of your production will not be used and send straight to the grid, even with an empty battery with a large PV array

The US3000 is a nice compromise. I like whoever recommended it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Active8 are the suppliers. Farmers can get a TAMS grant on the installation. May be around 40%.

Water John wrote: »
    Active8 are the suppliers. Farmers can get a TAMS grant on the installation. May be around 40%.

Eh yeah, but if they paid twice as much as they should to get the system installed..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

Still waiting for our system to be connected up, three weeks after the electrical work started. Have been assured it will be completed tomorrow.
    The only conciliation is that I know the value of the equipment now installed exceeds the deposit paid. Will not be paying the balance until BER is completed and all documents have been uploaded by this company to the SEAI!

Yippee! Finally got connected last Thursday.
    Everything seems to be working, if only the sun would shine!
    A very slow process getting everything installed, 23 days from start to finish.
    Was going to hold off paying the balance but they will not do BER or upload documents to the SEAI until fully paid.
    Catch 22!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    Was going to hold off paying the balance but they will not do BER or upload documents to the SEAI until fully paid.
    Catch 22!

Happy days :-)

What size system did you get in the end. Even with moderate cloud cover today, I am producing excess, with battery fully charged, hot water tank boiling, and running dishwasher washing machine etc

My battery lasted until 5am this morning as well (partly due to "take away friday" so not running oven etc).

Catch 22!

What size system did you get in the end. Even with moderate cloud cover today, I am producing excess, with battery fully charged, hot water tank boiling, and running dishwasher washing machine etc

My battery lasted until 5am this morning as well (partly due to "take away friday" so not running oven etc).

Time to buy an EV methinks :)

4.5kw East West with 5.6kw battery

Has anyone any idea how much I should be generating with a 4.5kw East West split?
    It's been sunny most of the day but only showing 5kwh production for the day so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone any idea how much I should be generating with a 4.5kw East West split?
    It's been sunny most of the day but only showing 5kwh production for the day so far.

I’m at just under 15 kWh for a 3 kw system facing due south today.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

That's low.
    4.5W system facing south 27kWh at this point.

Yes, underwhelming performance, yet batteries have been charged and full tank of water heated since midday.
    I think the data may be corrupted by the consumption meters installed as both have flashing red alarm lights.
    Funny levels of demand for the house showing, as the only thing on is the tv. Demand spiking, then falling for no apparent reason.
    It's that or one of the strings not working. Will have to contact the NGP tech guy tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, underwhelming performance, yet batteries have been charged and full tank of water heated since midday.
    I think the data may be corrupted by the consumption meters installed as both have flashing red alarm lights.
    Funny levels of demand for the house showing, as the only thing on is the tv. Demand spiking, then falling for no apparent reason.
    It's that or one of the strings not working. Will have to contact the NGP tech guy tomorrow.

Deffo something up there.
    Get onto James as he’s the tech guy for NGP.
    He knows his stuff with regards to the IT side of things.

Can you look at the daily graph and see what the kw spiked at?
    For example, I can see mine spiked at 3.4kw a few times between 11 and 3 so I know all panels are functioning fine.

Check yours then you’ll know if it’s just a data transfer/ info issue.

• Advertisement

Spiked at just over 2kw a couple of times in the afternoon i.e when the Westerly panels would be getting the best of the sun.
    Have 8 facing East and 6 facing West (uneven split due to velux windows)
    Poor performance from Easterly panels, took until just before midday to reach 1kw

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Spiked at just over 2kw a couple of times in the afternoon i.e when the Westerly panels would be getting the best of the sun.
    Have 8 facing East and 6 facing West (uneven split due to velux windows)
    Poor performance from Easterly panels, took until just before midday to reach 1kw

What part of the country are you in?

I’ve been in Athlone and Ballyshannon today, spectacular sunshine all day.

I’m regretting I’ve no PV yet.

South Dublin, sunny day here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Limerick 23.3kwh today with 4.2kw east/west array.

2.4kw west
    1.8 kw east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Monday morning,

May i suggest something please !?
    I opened a thread earlier where i kindly asked users to "show off" and post reports of the performance, setups and monitoring.

This thread here for "quotes" only is anything for except quotations and systems and prices.

If you feel is a technical issue,open a dedicated thread.

No offence,still searching for my morning cofeee ...

PS
    Yesterday was first day this year when i had EV fully charged by PV at home,water at over 70 and house self sustained.
    Better go and put it in dedicated post... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

rolion wrote: »
    Monday morning,

May i suggest something please !?
    I opened a thread earlier where i kindly asked users to "show off" and post reports of the performance, setups and monitoring.

This thread here for "quotes" only is anything for except quotations and systems and prices.

If you feel is a technical issue,open a dedicated thread.

No offence,still searching for my morning cofeee ...

PS
    Yesterday was first day this year when i had EV fully charged by PV at home,water at over 70 and house self sustained.
    Better go and put it in dedicated post... ;)
    I know I've seen it somewhere but cannot find it anymore. Can you please add link or maybe make it sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

at this point the thread is so cross pollinated it might be easier to rename this to just "domestic PV discussion" and start a new one for quotes only

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

@Neil.J.F- 4.2 kW system, E/W split with same set up as Niallers, 28.7 kWh yesterday according to my app.

I'll continue with my update because I think it's helpful for anybody thinking of getting solar pv, not alone to look at a price but also to see how systems perform in the real world and how well companies install the systems.
    As I mentioned earlier in the tread, we eventually got our system hooked up and while the system was working, it did not seem to be producing what it should be. I contacted the tech guy and sure enough, one of the strings was not working at all. So, next day tech guy arrives on site and tells me that the wires from the strings have been crossed but he's not sure where. There then follows an hour or so of taking wires out of one place and putting them into an other, which finishes up with a bright flash, a loud bang and a circuit breaker being tripped.
    Long story short, the inverter is banjaxed and their sparks will have to do some rewiring. We're being told it'll all be fixed tomorrow??
    My two questions arising out of all this are 1) Why wasn't the system tested when being wired up and 2) Why wasn't the problem spotted by them afterward, as all system data is visible to them at all times?!
    I'm sure it'll be a great system whenever it gets going!
    To be continued.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, I know I have talked about it but considering the plunge finally....

My thought at the moment is not to bother with the battery, it is expensive and excess I will heat water or put back into the grid....

So costs, I was with Next Gen Power before but are they still best value for money? I would want to kick off with around 5kW so what would I be looking at? just for panels and hot water convertor.....thanks

Advertisement