Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

With a 5kwp system, you would get another EUR2.4k subsidy if you do go for the battery. Effectively making it pretty much free...

Unless of course you are doing DIY install without subsidy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    I'll continue with my update because I think it's helpful for anybody thinking of getting solar pv, not alone to look at a price but also to see how systems perform in the real world and how well companies install the systems.
    As I mentioned earlier in the tread, we eventually got our system hooked up and while the system was working, it did not seem to be producing what it should be. I contacted the tech guy and sure enough, one of the strings was not working at all. So, next day tech guy arrives on site and tells me that the wires from the strings have been crossed but he's not sure where. There then follows an hour or so of taking wires out of one place and putting them into an other, which finishes up with a bright flash, a loud bang and a circuit breaker being tripped.
    Long story short, the inverter is banjaxed and their sparks will have to do some rewiring. We're being told it'll all be fixed tomorrow??
    My two questions arising out of all this are 1) Why wasn't the system tested when being wired up and 2) Why wasn't the problem spotted by them afterward, as all system data is visible to them at all times?!
    I'm sure it'll be a great system whenever it gets going!
    To be continued.......

Damn! Not good!
    I just hope they fix the issue and get you back up and running ASAP.
    Only thing to come out of it is least you now know there was an issue with the products and that it wasn’t got to do with sun, orientation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

My own installers tell me (they’re quoting for an upgrade to my existing 5kWp array, without battery) that an A/C-side battery is treated as a source of production and so counts towards ESB Networks’ 6kW limit for micro generators.

So I have to choose between battery and more panels.

Makes sense to me, but some of the comments on here seem to differ.

Anyone else get the same advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'll continue with my update because I think it's helpful for anybody thinking of getting solar pv, not alone to look at a price but also to see how systems perform in the real world and how well companies install the systems.
    As I mentioned earlier in the tread, we eventually got our system hooked up and while the system was working, it did not seem to be producing what it should be. I contacted the tech guy and sure enough, one of the strings was not working at all. So, next day tech guy arrives on site and tells me that the wires from the strings have been crossed but he's not sure where. There then follows an hour or so of taking wires out of one place and putting them into an other, which finishes up with a bright flash, a loud bang and a circuit breaker being tripped.
    Long story short, the inverter is banjaxed and their sparks will have to do some rewiring. We're being told it'll all be fixed tomorrow??
    My two questions arising out of all this are 1) Why wasn't the system tested when being wired up and 2) Why wasn't the problem spotted by them afterward, as all system data is visible to them at all times?!
    To be continued.......

I had same 'crossed wires' issue, but they must have guessed the right combo and fixed it before doing any damage to inverter.

This is part of the problem when parts of the job are sub-contracted, the roofers put up the panels and just drop the string cabling without clearly labelling, a separate electrical comes along and does his bit, but isn't checking final results either. I would agree, this should have been picked up with a proper post-installation check and test.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

thos wrote: »
    I had same 'crossed wires' issue, but they must have guessed the right combo and fixed it before doing any damage to inverter.

This is part of the problem when parts of the job are sub-contracted, the roofers put up the panels and just drop the string cabling without clearly labelling, a separate electrical comes along and does his bit, but isn't checking final results either. I would agree, this should have been picked up with a proper post-installation check and test.

thats a very low quality job done seems to me. as when installation of my system was commenced yes there were separate roofer crew but electrician was on the site and worked in team with panel installers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

To be continued.......
    wow.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't you say that you had battery full charge and tank of full water at midday? I fins it hard to believe that you would have all that with a bad string.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

reklamos wrote: »
    wow.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't you say that you had battery full charge and tank of full water at midday? I fins it hard to believe that you would have all that with a bad string.

No, only producing a few hundred watts before midday, easterly string not working at all. Work being carried out as I type.
    Here’s hoping.....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Got a high level over the phone quote of 5200 (after the grant) for a 2.4kwh system with a hot water diverter. Am I right in thinking that's a very high price for a pretty small system?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

sounds high. assuming slate, east west split no battery and a hot water diverter my est figure would be 4.5k before grant. basing on my exposure to quotes I have been getting

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

No, only producing a few hundred watts before midday, easterly string not working at all. Work being carried out as I type.
    Here’s hoping.....

Did you get sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

No end in sight, the first sparks returned and found several faults that the second sparks had made when making the final connection but even with these faults corrected, no joy in getting both strings to work.
    They now suspect a loose connection on the roof but who knows?!
    As was mentioned earlier, this is the result of electricians and roofers not working together on the same day.
    I’m ready to blow a fuse myself at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Coltrane wrote: »
    My own installers tell me (they’re quoting for an upgrade to my existing 5kWp array, without battery) that an A/C-side battery is treated as a source of production and so counts towards ESB Networks’ 6kW limit for micro generators.

So I have to choose between battery and more panels.

Makes sense to me, but some of the comments on here seem to differ.

Anyone else get the same advice?

Yes, that's right. But you don't have to get An AC side battery, you could just replace your existing 5kW inverter with a hybrid 5kW inverter (DC side battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Got my system installed yesterday and really impressed with the setup and the company that installed it.
    Happy to recommend the company if anybody wants to PM me.

Only issue now is I'm obsessed with the app :)

4.8kW system with 7.2kW battery, Zappi charger & Eddi hot water divertor.

jspuds wrote: »
    Got my system installed yesterday and really impressed with the setup and the company that installed it.
    Happy to recommend the company if anybody wants to PM me.

Only issue now is I'm obsessed with the app :)

4.8kW system with 7.2kW battery, Zappi charger & Eddi hot water divertor.
    AC or DC battery?

AC or DC battery?

Hybrid invertor so DC

How is it working with your Zappi so far?

Got my Zappi installed yesterday, also hybrid inverter with DC side batteries, but trying to get my head around the Zappi consuming power from the batteries instead of just pure surplus.

How is it working with your Zappi so far?

Got my Zappi installed yesterday, also hybrid inverter with DC side batteries, but trying to get my head around the Zappi consuming power from the batteries instead of just pure surplus.

On eco plus changed the settings as per the manual for DC batteries and that stopped pulling from the batteries. However I had it set to boost at midnight and that ran the batteries down at a rate of 2.4 kW (rest from the grid) until they hit 10% then switched to 100% grid.
    Installer checking with Myenergi how to get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

jspuds wrote: »
    On eco plus changed the settings as per the manual for DC batteries and that stopped pulling from the batteries. However I had it set to boost at midnight and that ran the batteries down at a rate of 2.4 kW (rest from the grid) until they hit 10% then switched to 100% grid.
    Installer checking with Myenergi how to get around this.

There seems to be issues with Zappi diverters in draining the batteries. When I was getting my system installed, I was also going for Zappi but installer told me about battery drain and gave my choice between Zappi and Solar iBoost. He said they are dealing with Zappi to get battery drain fixed but I went went with iBoost, no problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shedmanstyle

€11,000 for a 2.4kW PV with eddi system which after the grant and a bonus comes in at €7500. If I get 6 people to sign up I get the money back. Win win for me I think. Just need to activ8 the contract with them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    With a 5kwp system, you would get another EUR2.4k subsidy if you do go for the battery. Effectively making it pretty much free...

Unless of course you are doing DIY install without subsidy.

Sorry I missed this, why would I get another 2.4k? I thought the battery only got 1k grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

€11,000 for a 2.4kW PV with eddi system which after the grant and a bonus comes in at €7500. If I get 6 people to sign up I get the money back. Win win for me I think. Just need to activate the contract with them now.

lol. you'll have great crack signing people up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

€11,000 for a 2.4kW PV with eddi system which after the grant and a bonus comes in at €7500. If I get 6 people to sign up I get the money back. Win win for me I think. Just need to activate the contract with them now.

11K??

bunderoon wrote: »
    11K??

Before the grant and discount for being the first in the area. I'd done a very small amount of research on this but enough to have an approx. figure in my head. JHC how many people are they getting to sign up to this?

After the rep. left I looked into them and seen a few threads on the company. I really wondered at the insistence of both partners being there and then seen its to sign a binding contract as you have invited them and it's not a cold call.

I had my trusty calculator out calculating payback - 9 years - if I was never to get an electricity bill in that period! Needless to say, no contract was drawn up or even offered. He bloody knew well he was well out of his depth when it came to facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Way way roo much

gally74 wrote: »
    Way way roo much

Yes, I'm really annoyed to be honest. In fairness they offer a reasonably low APR on their finance deal which would appeal to many and would suck many in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Literally almost double the going rate

Alkers wrote: »
    Literally almost double the going rate

Double the discounted rate - more than thrice the quote before grant and discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I may have missed it but have been looking through the thread looking for opinions on the ESB themselves installation of PV system. You can put the total cost on the ESB bill interest free for three years. Has anyone any feedback on using them rather than the private installation companies?

We're in Kerry with southern facing roof and a family growing up fast so putting serious consideration into PV or solar water panels. Would prefer the former tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SeaFields wrote: »
    I may have missed it but have been looking through the thread looking for opinions on the ESB themselves installation of PV system. You can put the total cost on the ESB bill interest free for three years. Has anyone any feedback on using them rather than the private installation companies?

We're in Kerry with southern facing roof and a family growing up fast so putting serious consideration into PV or solar water panels. Would prefer the former tho.

They are very expensive, it was cheaper to just get credit than use them

Also they are up the Ying yang with paperwork....wouldn’t even talk to me till full planning done etc

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They are very expensive, it was cheaper to just get credit than use them

Also they are up the Ying yang with paperwork....wouldn’t even talk to me till full planning done etc

Rep would not give me the copy of the quote he wrote out, so he reluctantly allowed me to take a picture. I will post it up once I have edited out some details.

Advertisement