Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British version of Trump becomes PM

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

He'll be gone at about 11.30pm on Sunday 3rd November and the UK will still be in the EU this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

At least he will get things done for better or worse he will achieve what that joke of a PM May could not.

what things?

I don't understand how just doing anything regardless of outcome or intent is to be classed as something positive..

Looks like a no deal Brexit so. Not great for Ireland either as he seems to have some funny attitudes about us.

fairly standard Tory attitude to Ireland really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

The UK voted Brexit and now have a Brexit PM. Now they can get on with it. A quick reshuffle of his cabinet to install his team of Brexiteers and the UK can get on with Leaving the EU.

The UK voted Brexit and now have a Brexit PM. Now they can get on with it. A quick reshuffle of his cabinet to install his team of Brexiteers and the UK can get on with Leaving the EU.

not if Parliament block him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

lawred2 wrote: »
    not if Parliament block him

Who requests the extension from the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

sabat wrote: »
    He'll be gone at about 11.30pm on Sunday 3rd November and the UK will still be in the EU this time next year.

I'll one up you, by saying the UK will successfully leave the EU. And the EU will collapse and be found out for what it is, a German controlled union that will crash and burn within the next 10 years and countries can get back to their own governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gatling wrote: »
    !

Give him a chance at least before we condem him .

You know hes been in politics already, yeah?

They didnt just drop in someone nobody has ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Having the support of the US, .

Support if the US how? Trump is doing what's best for (I was going to say america , but no) Trump. If that involves ****ting all over the UK , then that's what'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Some of my labor supporting friends will be very happy with this. They view Johnson as the stick that will break the camel's back for the Tories.

In reality under any other leader labor would have looked like a valid option a long time ago. Hopefully the move go expel the anti-Semitism from the party will improve their prospects.

• Advertisement

Who requests the extension from the EU?

He'll be out of a job if he doesn't adhere to the will of Parliament... The HOC is not dictated to by a PM when the numbers aren't in the PM's favour

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Calhoun wrote: »
    Some of my labor supporting friends will be very happy with this. They view Johnson as the stick that will break the camel's back for the Tories.

In reality under any other leader labor would have looked like a valid option a long time ago. Hopefully the move go expel the anti-Semitism from the party will improve their prospects.

With corbyn in charge, the tories could elect a blind cat and people would support it to keep corbyn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump and Boris, fun times ahead.

Trump will be tussling his hair and saying 'good boy' and Boris will kiss his ass.
    Boris uses the aul' Bertie trick of playing the bumbling fool and while Boris is a fool, he's got a sinister streak he hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Having the support of the US, Australia and most of the other british allies and territories outside of the EU will also help greatly for negociating on a non EU trade platform.

US fair enough but Germany, France. Ireland, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Spain and all top 10 exporting partners of the UK with Germany, Ireland, Netherlands and France being #2-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Calhoun wrote: »

With corbyn in charge, the tories could elect a blind cat and people would support it to keep corbyn out.

When Corbyn won the leadership, I suggested that it was the best thing that could ever happen the Tories - guaranteed to be in Government for a couple of elections.

I would like to think that Boris will bring the Tory Government crashing down, but after sitting up all night a few weeks ago watching the various votes in Westminster, I'm beginning to think the whole lot of them have a death wish. This "will of the people" schtick has them all petrified to stand up and do (what I think) is best for their country - a second referendum in light of the considerable amount of new information available to the electorate. If "the people" remain unconvinced by this new info, the no loss to the Brexiteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

No surprise, Boris was going to win as soon as he announced a tax break for the rich. So now we get to see whether his talk is just bluster or not. I honestly think that it is all bluster to come across as a man of action to the people, but when it comes to action he is well out of his depth.

I doubt he'll achieve anything and resign in a few months.

Brexit claims another Tory political career, and will hopefully just slowly fade away.

It is going to be fun watching the resignations come as a result of Boris Johnson winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Racist, prone to talking without thinking and described as incredibly stupid by people working with them.

All 3 of your points are based on here say, for both men.

Nobody gets to run a country and be stupid at the same time. Anyone who thinks so is naïve.

If you could give me 1 objective example of either person being racist I would be happy to agree with you. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

When Corbyn won the leadership, I suggested that it was the best thing that could ever happen the Tories - guaranteed to be in Government for a couple of elections.

I would like to think that Boris will bring the Tory Government crashing down, but after sitting up all night a few weeks ago watching the various votes in Westminster, I'm beginning to think the whole lot of them have a death wish. This "will of the people" schtick has them all petrified to stand up and do (what I think) is best for their country - a second referendum in light of the considerable amount of new information available to the electorate. If "the people" remain unconvinced by this new info, the no loss to the Brexiteers.

be it through their own decision or referendum , the more they kick the can down the road or suggest voting again to remain , the more likely it is that they'll lose the working class vote for decades to come. You'll see a further rise of right wing parties as working class people flock there. The rich 'go away EU taxes' element of the vote would donate to any number of mad men, as would the elderly. Best they see it through with political experience than hand the country to the likes of the BNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

IAMAMORON wrote: »

If you could give me 1 objective example of either person being racist I would be happy to agree with you. Good luck with that.

Flag-waving piccaninnies with watermelon smiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nobody gets to run a country and be stupid at the same time. Anyone who thinks so is naïve.

George W. thick as mud.
    Trump telling the squad to go back where they came from followed up by lies about them, they called America garbage etc.
    Talking about grabbing women etc. Gent.
    Boris on Burkas: "I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."
    Described gay men as "tank-topped bumboys."

You can re-write what racist means and argue that it's lost all meaning, which is very beneficial for anyone being racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hopefully he does take them out and it all goes horribly wrong for them. Reap what they sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

elefant wrote: »
    Have you created a situation in your head where the choice is Boris Johnson or an inanimate object?

Nobody would be 'inactive'. And almost anybody would be more effective.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Hopefully he does take them out and it all goes horribly wrong for them. Reap what they sow.

Hopefully he takes them out and it goes well for them.. because if it goes badly for them, it will be much worse for us. If it goes well for them, we'll have the option of remaining in the EU or leaving and aligning ourselves with the UK, Italy, Hungary, or any other country who might do better out of the EU (in its current form, and without the UK) rather than staying in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't need luck just Google. He referred to black people as piccaninnies and gay people as "bumboys". Racist and homophobic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-defends-his-offensive-articles-about-black-and-gay-people-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

And the hysteria continues, and people wonder how we ended up with Trump + Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Britain now has the prime minister it deserves in the same way that the yanks have their own idiotic leader in the Whitehouse. The fortunes of both countries have taken similar paths, both are deeply divided countries whose significance on the global stage both economically and politically have waned considerably.

Boris is an over-privileged Oxford graduate whose arrogance and wholly misplaced self-belief have only been mirrored by Trumps gold plated upbringing and staggering narcissism. It seems that to make your way in life you have to have blind spot to your own flaws and a fervent unquenchable self-worship and a complete disregard for alternative viewpoints and common sense.

Both Trump and Boris are career liars who couldnt run a tap nevermind a government. Boris's most significant contributions to London as Mayor were London'd cycle hire scheme, alcohol ban on public transport and the decommissioning of bendy buses.

The French have already dismissed Britain's prime minister elect as an incompetent jester.. a clown he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The US is not "deeply divided". Sure, there are people of diverse races and opinions, but they're not exactly at civil war.

Trump has a lot of self-belief in his ability to control news cycles and influence public opinion. Are you denying that he has this skill?

And the US economy is doing pretty well under Trump.

Boris's contributions seem to be fairly successful, unlike Kahn whose only achievement seems to be increase in knife crime and acid attacks.

And I'm sure Boris cares what the French think. Not many people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

A UK leader is democratically elected by his/her party and the rants commence. Ireland is happy to welcome very senior Chinese dignitaries and very little is said, hardly anyone out demonstrating or virtue signalling. Trump goes to visit his hotel and all hell breaks loose. Varadkar cannot even bring himself to meet him at his hotel, or travel down in the car with him. I doubt hes an idiot he progressed through his education via scholarships.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, it’s a change at least, and hopefully might kick the UK out of its malaise.

Only time will tell if Boris has been a success or not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't need luck just Google. He referred to black people as piccaninnies and gay people as "bumboys". Racist and homophobic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-defends-his-offensive-articles-about-black-and-gay-people-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

Papers never refused ink in fairness.

He won't be the first racist homophobe to run the United Kingdom either.

You would swear he was going to be the next emperor Mao or Stalin the way people go on about him.

The fact is that he is a self-entitled middle class stuck up Brit who has a weakness for women and has forced more abortions than a Pimp in a Bengalian Brothel. Albeit none of these qualities should get in the way of him running a country full of them.

That however does not mean he is like Donald Trump. They are different people, just because they are racist homophobes ( allegedly) does not indicate to me that they are similar people, at all.

Advertisement