Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman rakes up 648 convictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Another waste of space that will be a drain on resources from the cradle to the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Another waste of space that will be a drain on resources from the cradle to the grave.

...which could have been prevented with early intervention as mentioned in the post before yours.

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...which could have been prevented with early intervention as mentioned in the post before yours.

Yeah sure.

She could have decided to become a productive member of society years ago if she wanted.

Yeah sure.

She could have decided to become a productive member of society years ago if she wanted.

You think she doesn't exhibit symptoms of mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah sure.

Are you seriously dismissing the entire idea of rehabilitation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You think she doesn't exhibit symptoms of mental illness?

Maybe she's just a lazy, good-for-nothing, b!tch? Ever think of that?

Anyone else blue in the face with these excuses for absolute scumbaggery?

It's never the perpetrator's fault - they are never just lazy thieving thugs milking off the rest of us.

There is always something "wrong" with them to excuse it.

The example you see above - the excuses - are exactly why the perpetrators get more than the victims in support in this country.

And then the rest of society pays to house and keep the bastards fed as they continue their criminality :rolleyes:

We have everything backwards in this country.

It's never the perpetrator's fault - they are never just lazy thieving thugs milking off the rest of us.

The example you see above - the excuses - are exactly why the perpetrators get more than the victims in support in this country.

And then the rest of society pays to house and keep the bastards fed as they continue their criminality :rolleyes:

The usual knee jerk cackola.

Yes, there is often "wrong" to excuse it. Fucking her inside as a policy hasn't exactly worked now, has it?

Shes spent 27 years behind bars and shows no ability to weigh up consequences and reward/punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Shes spent 27 years behind bars and shows no ability to weigh up consequences and reward/punishment.

Exactly. Like all career scumbags - they don't care about anything or anyone.

Throw away the key.

Exactly. Like all career scumbags - they don't care about anything or anyone.

Throw away the key.

....thus ensuring a never ending list of "scumbags" leaving us in no better situation than we are now.

The usual knee jerk cackola.

Yes, there is often "wrong" to excuse it. Fucking her inside as a policy hasn't exactly worked now, has it?

I've never understood the reluctance to understand behaviour. It's not about excusing it. It's about understanding, predicting and control/influence behaviour to the advantage of society.

Kermit still gets to calm her a scumbag and look down on her, but if we can invest some money in getting this "scumbag" to stop committing crimes, creating victims, clogging up the justice system. Wouldn't that be worth the investment?

This is why I'm pretty sure some posters have no interest in the notion of rehabilitation early on. It would mean there are fewer crimes and fewer career criminals. Fewer punishments and fewer people to look down on as scumbags. It's good for society but bad for those who enjoy the thought of punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I've never understood the reluctance to understand behaviour. It's not about excusing it. It's about understanding, predicting and control/influence behaviour to the advantage of society.

Kermit still gets to calm her a scumbag and look down on her, but if we can invest some money in getting this "scumbag" to stop committing crimes, creating victims, clogging up the justice system. Wouldn't that be worth the investment?

This is why I'm pretty sure some posters have no interest in the notion of rehabilitation early on. It would mean there are fewer crimes and fewer career criminals. Fewer punishments and fewer people to look down on as scumbags. It's good for society but bad for those who enjoy the thought of punishment.

I'm just picturing you trying to rehabilitate a gang of scumbags with 50+ convictions. Your argument is laughable at this stage now. So, who's going to do all this rehabilitation? The HSE, an Army of Psychologists or how about we exhume L. Ron Hubbard and he can just brainwash them into being good citizens. The law is there to protect society, rehabilitation of constant repeat offenders just lines the pockets of do-gooders and snowflakes with nothing better to do than to be outraged at everything.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I'm just picturing you trying to rehabilitate a gang of scumbags with 50+ convictions. Your argument is laughable at this stage now. So, who's going to do all this rehabilitation? The HSE, an Army of Psychologists or how about we exhume L. Ron Hubbard and he can just brainwash them into being good citizens. The law is there to protect society, rehabilitation of constant repeat offenders just lines the pockets of do-gooders and snowflakes with nothing better to do than to be outraged at everything.

No way are you going to pretend I'm the outraged one in this thread. Your whole schtick is the angry old man who understands nothing except punishment and expects nobody else to understand anything except what he understands.

I don't know how many times I've said I think there should be early Intervention for criminals. By the time they've got to 50+ convictions, chances are the opportunity has been lost.

Why would you imagine me doing the rehabilitation anyway? Wouldn't you imagine trained forensic professionals doing it?

Why don’t you link to studies or show exactly what you mean.

Of course if victims are given the choice of punishment and rehabilitation they’d go for that. But it would have to work and there would have to be some penalty for failure to rehabilitate.

All moot in this case where there’s no real punishment nor rehabilitation.
    Because my experience is that people almost never read those studies once posted on boards. If you want to read some, just Google it.

Here's one recent one to get you started. Pleasant reading. https://victimsupport.eu/activeapp/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/VS_Understanding-victims-of-crime_web.pdf

How see you getting on with the reading, FVP?

The notion that perpetrators get more support is utter rabble rabble nonsense.

O some of us have quite a lot of things backwards in this country. What benefit has there been in throwing yer woman behind bars for the crimes shes committed?

People often redirect & vent their hatred on things and people that they perceive society has greenlit for abuse. Logic takes a hike and is replaced with simplistic pitchfork waving calls for vengeance, despite the fact that its been shown time and again not to work.

People often redirect & vent their hatred on things and people that they perceive society has greenlit for abuse. Logic takes a hike and is replaced with simplistic pitchfork waving calls for vengeance, despite the fact that its been shown time and again not to work.

Vengeance, as you say, seems to be the main focus. Not the crime, not the victims, not out shared society.

The thing about prison is not only they it doesn't work, it's the shockingly low ambition for what it "working" would look like. Warehousing people for years and then expecting them to rejoin society and live a normal life. It doesn't add up.

Vengeance, as you say, seems to be the main focus. Not the crime, not the victims, not out shared society.

The thing about prison is not only they it doesn't work, it's the shockingly low ambition for what it "working" would look like. Warehousing people for years and then expecting them to rejoin society and live a normal life. It doesn't add up.

Not only that, but wanting to make it as tough as possible, with no thought to the consequences ie the hardened criminals that will be produced.

Are you seriously dismissing the entire idea of rehabilitation?

Seriously man, 678 convictions and you are talking about rehabilition.

And she clocked all that up when she was out of prison.

In this case taxpayers money is better spent keeping her locked up.

Whatever about the possibility of rehabilitation now, I think if it had been introduced at the beginning she wouldn't be in the situation she is now. She's clearly no judgement and is hardly living the high life on the few occassions she gets out. A bit of time and money at the start might have prevented it all.

Whatever about the possibility of rehabilitation now, I think if it had been introduced at the beginning she wouldn't be in the situation she is now. She's clearly no judgement and is hardly living the high life on the few occassions she gets out. A bit of time and money at the start might have prevented it all.

Ah now in all fairness lots of folks had a tough time growing up and turned out to be decent people, for all we know maybe help was offered but she refused to take it.

• Advertisement

Ah now in all fairness lots of folks had a tough time growing up and turned out to be decent people, for all we know maybe help was offered but she refused to take it.

We've no idea on that score, however its far more likely she was just sent inside repeatedly and the underlying issues never addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

We've no idea on that score, however its far more likely she was just sent inside repeatedly and the underlying issues never addressed.

So lock her up and throw away the key. Pure scum

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    So lock her up and throw away the key. Pure scum

You realise that with a bit of bad luck you could have ended up the exact same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

klaaaz wrote: »
    Are people in the "lock 'em up brigade" willing to pay higher direct income taxes to lock people like the offender up for life/10 years? It costs money to put people in prison and yet the lock 'em up brigade want lower taxes, you can't have both!
    I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than this constant merry go round of court cases, judges time, lawyers fees, free legal aid etc for 648 crimes.

And since that 648 or whatever the number, is just what she was caught for, she's probably done a lot more. For some people, letting them out is more of a drain society than keeping them locked up.

I'm all for second chances and rehabilitation, but for some like this one, there's clearly no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

You realise that with a bit of bad luck you could have ended up the exact same?
    Dafuq out of that! A lot of us didn't grow up with a mother, father, average sized family in a nice house with a middle class income, pet dog and all the rest. Doesn't mean you become an incorrigible scumbag.

SeanW wrote: »
    Dafuq out of that! A lot of us didn't grow up with a mother, father, average sized family in a nice house with a middle class income, pet dog and all the rest. Doesn't mean you become an incorrigible scumbag.

No, but for some that's what happened. Not every victim of child abuse (for example) becomes a homeless alcoholic junkie but many do. Pointing the finger at those who just couldn't keep it together is a rather nasty and pointless act.

Oh yes early intervention rehabilitation. 678 convictions down the road is a long way from an early intervention.

Now if you'd be so kind as to answer the question in the post you quoted.

Precisely this. It's important to remember were talking about likelihood of re offending. There's no such thing as a guarantee of anything in life. Some people will never see the benefit of reducing the likelihood of re offending. I see it as a worthwhile investment from society point of view. Bit some wouldn't consider the perpetrator has been sufficiently punished so they'd prefer the perpetual cops and robbers game.

Oh yes early intervention rehabilitation. 678 convictions down the road is a long way from an early intervention.

Now if you'd be so kind as to answer the question in the post you quoted.

No in general I don't dismiss it if the person is willing to step up and turn their life around.

But as I said to another poster maybe help was offered in this case and she refused to take it.

It wouldn't surprise me in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭apache

She's only out of prison a while before she gets lifted again. When she leaves prison she is given shelter but ends up robbing wine. She then gets mouldy drunk and causes arguments and gets battered.
    I saw her begging on Wednesday and she was back in prison by Thursday.

Advertisement