Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman rakes up 648 convictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

It's still out there on WhatsApp, a certain grandmother in D1 , who the good people of D1 would love to see the back of , at least incarcerated like her evil offspring!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m reading there are 12 prisons in Ireland with a total bed capacity of 4,106.

5,123000 people roughly are in the country. Lots of people, Not many prisons and not many beds. Too many people for the resources. Or too few resources for the people…either way….

In comparison…54 prisons in Denmark.

There are 5,820000 people roughly in Denmark.

Denmark has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. According to one report, the third lowest.

sooooo would countries like Ireland with a similar population not take their lead ?…

have facilities and have a capable and responsibly equipped and manned Garda force ?

responsible criminal justice system with a suitable oversight of judges ?

if you are a pilot, chef, nurse, supermarket manager, whatever, you have oversight and people you need to be responsible to and people are jobs you are responsible for…

A person with that many convictions should be doing a serious street of jail time.

Either a ducking stool, or caning as is carried out in Singapore. I reckon the latter would work wonders in Ireland.

100% , but the poxy left would not tolerate such an infringement of their human rights , until they themselves have been violated & then its another sceal , the US is right , serial offenders have to be incarcerated for lengthy periods, christ look at our scandi neighbours who are considering releasing Brevik !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you think the USA is where other countries should look when it comes to law and order?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No more concurrent sentencing and removing the Judge ability to choose if a suspended sentence is activated would make so much difference. Far more crimes need to have minimum sentences. People are getting suspended sentence on top of their already suspended sentence.

People need to make reform their sole vote winner and tell anyone who comes to the door, Ireland doesn't get to be picky. They say the one right thing ignore the rest and vote for them.

Absolutely , why not ? Our crims tore the roof off Mountjoy because they wanted Nike trainers , now sheriff Joe arapaiao would have left them unable to get their feet into old mother Hubbards boot , are you another bleeding heart who believes they had an awful upbringing that licences their thuggery & worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think the US has a lot of crimes of necessity. There is no social welfare really and so many of the people are uneducated, unsupported and almost destined to fall through the cracks.

But what I would say is that if Dublin or Cork had 12 months of US style policing and more importantly, US style sentencing, I think the law abiding in Ireland would have noticed a fair old drop on the anti-social behaviour front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably need something in the middle, we are too soft on crime and criminals,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

They are not considering Brevik for release , where did you hear that

No such thing as 'crime of neccesity' , I lived in the US, you don't need a degree to drive a cab or push a wheelbarrow , plus minorities have the benefit of affirmative action , so park it ! And yes the people of our cities & rural areas would enjoy a better quality of life with these removed from society!

Brevik is eligible for parole now , unlikely , however, his sentence is 21 years , max under Norwegian law , but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't serve the lot , fuckin scandi's think they've an answer for everything !

I mean scandi societies are as close to perfect as we have on this planet so they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I do feel sorry for her as well. A complete lost and sad soul, but unfortunately not so lost and sad enough to be an incessant public nuisance and recidivist criminal.

Her crimes affect people every time. And every time this pathetic country’s justice system adds insult to injury. Weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What is your solution?

At least Norway make an attempt to rehabilitate criminals where possible.

Prison doesn't work as a deterrent to most hardened criminals let's be honest.

The chances of him ever being released are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

No one knows this womans story, addiction issues, learning difficulties, mental health, but everyone wants to lock her away forever and have us just like america cant piss in the wrong direction or your in jail cop on to yourselfs

What are you on about can't piss in the wrong direction nonsense?! Do you see how many convictions she has? She has assaulted people....would you feel the same if you were one of her victims? Have you been a victim of a violent crime? We do not have harsh jail sentences in Ireland.

In my opinion this woman's seems to be beyond helping given the volume of crime commited and the timeframe involved. I am not saying she should be locked up and the key thrown away, but she shouldn't be in contact with the general public.

Exactly.

There is one article that mentions she has 18 assaults amongst that at least!

She is clearly a danger to the public. Better she is not in contact with people at all.

An assault can really badly affect someone's life and the life of those around someone. Why should she be allowed to just continue with this sh1te?!?

• Advertisement

I said it before. Where in god’s name does she get the actual energy and time to do all this. 857 convictions is only part of it. Heaps heaps where not caught and no convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

If you have a look at the table in the link above, you'll see Ireland and Denmark have almost the exact same incarceration rate (number of people in prison per 100k population). Ireland is actually slightly higher.

Yet, if you look at the table above where countries are ranked by crime rate, you'll see that Denmark is doing significantly better than us.

So really it's not down to how many people we chuck in prison. I would say though that we should certainly be looking at societies like the Nordics and seeing what they are doing right. And yes of course we should be looking at their criminal justice system but we need to look at their entire society. Education, healthcare, social welfare, community supports etc etc.

Take the woman in the thread here, would her life have ended up any different if she was living in Denmark. Would she have got mental health support 30 odd years ago that could have taken her down a different track. Could she have gotten better supports to deal with her addictions.... would she have got a better education when she was in prison to help her get back on track.....or indeed, would they have actually just locked her up and thrown away the key.

I don't think places like Denmark have the same issues of intergenerational poverty, trauma, abuse, being failed by the state, etc. etc. that brings people like this poor lady into the world. Most of us have travelled around Europe, there's a whole different level of this kind of thing in Ireland, compared to places like Denmark and Sweden etc. The same reasons you don't see gangs of feral children and teenagers roaming the streets in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anyone who is taking guidance from the US when it comes to incarceration doesn't know what it is they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What do you do with a woman like that?

Somebody who will never ever ever stop what she is doing.

Lock her up forever? I don't think her individual crimes merit that, and I don't think she can be made to pay again for the crimes she's already been imprisoned her. I wonder if it would be the cheapest option though, considering how much all the prosecutions must cost the state.

So what else is there...just wait for her to commit another crime (and you won't be waiting long) and back to court she goes, and back to prison she goes, for a while. And then repeat it all, perhaps 200 more times ove the next 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Exactly no facilities for the kids, addiction & mental health people are let down by the goverment more free services needed

i mean it's harsh to blame the government right now, these problems are generations old societal problems

Cheaper than constant legal expenses once you get rid of all those airy fairy rehabilitation hearings and psychiatric sessions paid for by the state. Especially once you take her dole money into account. Then once out of prison they should be made work and docked wages to pay back the tax payer. All solutions here.

But if necessary then yea, increase taxes on lower income earners only though. It’s not the squeezed middle these people are coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can we change the thread title??

Racks up...surely

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement