Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

p15574 wrote: »
    An FYI if you are looking to source Dublin Bus footage after a near miss. I made a request this week but it came up blank. This was because in the interim, another request had been made for the same bus, and after sourcing footage, they wipe all the data stored for that bus! This is a massive flaw in their systems, potentially losing vital information regarding a serious incident due to a request for footage of an innocuous one.

Just to follow up on this...the Dublin Bus guy, as promised, came back to me after searching for other buses that may have been in the vicinity and, fair play to him, he found one that 'caught footage of the post-incident', so he's going to source that for me.

While I'm on the subject of that collision, I had to give a Garda statement about it yesterday. The Garda had taken the driver's statement two days earlier and she said he'd claimed I'd run a red light (we're all tarred with the same brush!). Once again, thankfully I had the bike camera. She was very interested to see my high quality footage disproving this! Says it appears to be a clearcut case of driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

p15574 wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this...the Dublin Bus guy, as promised, came back to me after searching for other buses that may have been in the vicinity and, fair play to him, he found one that 'caught footage of the post-incident', so he's going to source that for me.

While I'm on the subject of that collision, I had to give a Garda statement about it yesterday. The Garda had taken the driver's statement two days earlier and she said he'd claimed I'd run a red light (we're all tarred with the same brush!). Once again, thankfully I had the bike camera. She was very interested to see my high quality footage disproving this! Says it appears to be a clearcut case of driving without due care and attention.

And a case of providing a false statement to a Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

hesker wrote: »
    And a case of providing a false statement to a Garda

Yet I'm willing to bet that's brushed off, and her original offence gets a slap on the wrist or a warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycling on Howth Road through Killester on way today and a car pulled out of a junction without taking a look to his right. Managed to pull the brakes in time to not smash into him, let a road and he just gave a sheepish wave and sped off. Kudos to the driver who pulled alongside me to ask was I ok and said the guy's driving was a disgrace.

Back to it on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm back from a long tour around France, driving, but had the bikes too and did a bit of touring as far as the kids could make it.... (12k, not bad for a five and seven year old!!)... the respect and consideration to cyclists and other road users is fantastic. I know it's been said here before, but it's lovely to see it work so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yet I'm willing to bet that's brushed off, and her original offence gets a slap on the wrist or a warning...

If you had world enough and time, you could prosecute the driver for malicious slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm back from a long tour around France, driving, but had the bikes too and did a bit of touring as far as the kids could make it.... (12k, not bad for a five and seven year old!!)... the respect and consideration to cyclists and other road users is fantastic. I know it's been said here before, but it's lovely to see it work so well.

It is amazing to see everyone working together on the roads over there, while over here we are big selfish children, all for one and one for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Cyclist hit pedestrian in Thomastown Co Kilkenny this evening.
    2 ambulances and guards on scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It is amazing to see everyone working together on the roads over there, while over here we are big selfish children, all for one and one for all

One rule of the road that people generally adhere to here is “mé féin”. I’m in France Monday, renting a car. Always a pleasure to drive there. Brining the bike gear as well and might rent a bike. Always a pleasure to cycle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    One rule of the road that people generally adhere to here is “mé féin”. I’m in France Monday, renting a car. Always a pleasure to drive there. Brining the bike gear as well and might rent a bike. Always a pleasure to cycle there.

Really depends on the part of France in my experience. Ile-de-France is a very different animal to Brittany or Normandy.
    Likewise some parts of Provence-Côte d’Azur can be a hairy experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Video doesn't do it justice he landed the first wheelie just behind me laughing when I turned to look then proceeded to do the similar to the guy in front https://streamable.com/yr61g

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

tnegun wrote: »
    Video doesn't do it justice he landed the first wheelie just behind me laughing when I turned to look then proceeded to do the similar to the guy in front https://streamable.com/yr61g

The scrote vulgaris. Very common on the canals between the months of June to August. They hibernate into their north face hoodies for the winter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a popular spot for scramblers, based on all the tyre marks visible?

Yup they're regularly there but usually not that brazen. Guards can't do anything so I've given up calling and stopping only makes you a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

See them almost exclusively between Ninth Lock and Grange Castle, they usually go about their own business though. Different story in the video, probably trying to show off to de lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not a near miss per se but with many above talking about the joys of travel in France and my own annual pleasure of the same in Spain this is the sort of neanderthal we have to deal with in this country. On the N11 northbound just south of Kilmacanogue this afternoon. An extremely popular cycling access route that I had cycled myself only a few hours earlier. When he appeared in my rear view mirror I knew he was going to do it. Not sharp enough for the number plate this time unfortunately:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Neither image was sharp enough to catch the reg - skip to about 0:50 on either video if you're impatient:

Jesus, I though it was bad enough from the front when the on coming car had to stop and then I saw the rear cam :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

You're so lucky the white car was behind you, god knows what that mini driver would have done if you were the only obstacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

You're so lucky the white car was behind you, god knows what that mini driver would have done if you were the only obstacle.

In fairness they flashed the hazards a couple of times when they were about 100m up the road. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

buffalo wrote: »
    In fairness they flashed the hazards a couple of times when they were about 100m up the road. :pac:

You conveniently left that out of your post to paint him like the bad guy. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember a story someone here told a few years ago about a stupid overtake on the strawberry beds, which resulted in the motorist damaging their bumper on a speed bump, and then blaming the cyclist.
    i think that was also a mini, perhaps it could be the same impatient mini driver who drives the strawberry beds...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i remember a story someone here told a few years ago about a stupid overtake on the strawberry beds, which resulted in the motorist damaging their bumper on a speed bump, and then blaming the cyclist.
    i think that was also a mini, perhaps it could be the same impatient mini driver who drives the strawberry beds...
    The classic, "You made me break my car" by Pinch Flat :D

clearly my memory of that having been a mini was all in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

tnegun wrote: »
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The scrote vulgaris. Very common on the canals between the months of June to August. They hibernate into their north face hoodies for the winter

Love to do an Indiana Jones and chuck a pole or something into the front wheel as he wheelies pass..

and shout in an austrian accent 'YOU ARE IN POLE POSITION NOW'

The classic, "You made me break my car" by Pinch Flat :D

I'd a guy pull out in front of me then proceed to scream at me saying if I cycled slower it wouldn't of been an issue. WTF some people can just see no wrong in anything they do.

Neither image was sharp enough to catch the reg

Are you using a Fly 12CE? I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by mine. Have had to step through videos frame by frame and extract the reg in pieces a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Neither image was sharp enough to catch the reg - skip to about 0:50 on either video if you're impatient

The mini driver overtook 2 cars to pass you.

You really need to report this and a concertive effort needs to be made to identify the driver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement