Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

tuxy wrote: »
    He really went out of his way to show his face on camera. Moves fast enough for a big lad!

8d2eff3ec0e8a9ad76661a9a8e984281.png

PLEASE report to the Garda, perhaps a legal person can advise on the complaint.....intimidation, dangerous driving, attempted assault etc....But I would like to see what the Garda would do with this.

Perhaps a cycling group could look at streamlining these kind of issues to get some proper peosecutions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

work wrote: »
    PLEASE report to the Garda, perhaps a legal person can advise on the complaint.....intimidation, dangerous driving, attempted assault etc....But I would like to see what the Garda would do with this.

Perhaps a cycling group could look at streamlining these kind of issues to get some proper peosecutions!

Do you not think it was tit for tat. OP called him a rude name. Driver jumped out of his car and waved his fat belly at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

hesker wrote: »
    Do you not think it was tit for tat. OP called him a rude name. Driver jumped out of his car and waved his fat belly at him.

Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

work wrote: »

If the cyclist does take it to the Gardai, he'll get warned about possible prosecution for a public order offence - given the initial outburst.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If the cyclist does take it to the Gardai, he'll get warned about possible prosecution for a public order offence - given the initial outburst.

His was not the initial outburst though, the car was beeping on red, driving in the wrong traffic lane, using intimidating behaviour and trying to control traffic, a job for only gardai, lollipop people and farmers moving animals (there is one ohere I cannot remember right now). Attempted assault when he veered the car, threatening behaviour, attempted physical assault, verbal assault.

The poster has a possible public order offence in the middle, not at the start of all that, which was clearly provoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

It seems a fair response to someone driving their car into you shouting "get out of the way".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Seen 2 cyclist tearing through a red light outside Kevin st garda station and almost get hit by a Dublin bus turning right.

Will post link to clip later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    there is one other I cannot remember right now

Flagman?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »
    It seems a fair response to someone driving their car into you shouting "get out of the way".

Yep, while also performing an illegal undertaking manoeuvre, given they were in the wrong lane, putting the cyclist in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

His was not the initial outburst though, the car was beeping on red, driving in the wrong traffic lane, using intimidating behaviour and trying to control traffic, a job for only gardai, lollipop people and farmers moving animals (there is one ohere I cannot remember right now). Attempted assault when he veered the car, threatening behaviour, attempted physical assault, verbal assault.

The poster has a possible public order offence in the middle, not at the start of all that, which was clearly provoked.

No, I think you got them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

To be honest, I'd probably take the hit on a a breach of peace fine if the garda was therefore willing to prosecute big boy on the litany of offences he committed, but I'm currently waiting (read: have given up) on the gardai to act on a similar road rage situation I had back in early March, where there was zero provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

This goes back to to the making cycling safer thread. There should be zero tolerance for this behaviour. People who act like this are not capable of responsibly exercising the privilege of driving a car. 5+ points or an instant driving ban

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just wanted to post about my morning commute. I left a little later than usual, I was on the road at 9am. That and the schools being off it was a bit quieter on the roads, but still a fair few cars around. I reckon I had 10 passes between Portmarnock and Baldoyle. Every single one of them was perfect, all moved entirely over to the other lane to pass, they waited when there was approaching traffic and they all passed quickly. Started giving waves of thanks, I really couldn't believe it. Thanks to all the sounds lads and lasses this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

c
    smacl wrote: »
    Yep, while also performing an illegal undertaking manoeuvre, given they were in the wrong lane, putting the cyclist in danger.

Not to mention the 3 or 4 other cyclists in front of him. Part of me thinks that he would have been a lot more dangerous if the poster hadn't distracted him and slowed him down. He probably would have bulldozed his way through between the 2 forward cyclists at high speed, regardless of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

droidus wrote: »
    This goes back to to the making cycling safer thread. There should be zero tolerance for this behaviour. People who act like this are not capable of responsibly exercising the privilege of driving a car. 5+ points or an instant driving ban

The fact that this sort of rubbish driving and attitude is tolerated is the very reason why we are where we are with regards not only to cyclist safety, but to road safety in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Unfolds standard response: "Look, it's your word against theirs."
    -"But the video shows everything"
    -"It's not a dashcam, therefore, GDPR *mumble mumble*..."
    -"I'm sorry, GDPR what?"
    -*places fingers in ears* "....na-na-na-na-na I CAN'T HEAR YOU! THE DOOR'S OVER THERE"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...between Portmarnock and Baldoyle....
    Shudder. The sooner that cycle lane goes in the better. I hate that stretch.

check_six wrote: »
    Unfolds standard response: "Look, it's your word against theirs."
    -"But the video shows everything"
    -"It's not a dashcam, therefore, GDPR *mumble mumble*..."
    -"I'm sorry, GDPR what?"
    -*places fingers in ears* "....na-na-na-na-na I CAN'T HEAR YOU! THE DOOR'S OVER THERE"

Exactly. My last incident was mobile phone use, threatening behaviour, holding up traffic to shout at me, pulling in abruptly across and onto a cycle track and footpath, more threatening behaviour, back in his car when I wasn’t taking the bait, followed by getting back out of his car for another shot when I attempted to continue on, but eventually giving up. All on camera.

First Garda seemed useful, interested. But then it was “His word against mine” attitude, driver doesn’t live in my district, etc.

Email to traffic corps head office to get opinion. Raised to sergeant. A cycling sergeant. Lots of interest. Accepted usb of footage. Had trouble tracking driver but would let me know when he does and he would be cautioned.

Radio silence since. We really do have it stacked against us. Road tax, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Exactly. My last incident was mobile phone use, threatening behaviour, holding up traffic to shout at me, pulling in abruptly across and onto a cycle track and footpath, more threatening behaviour, back in his car when I wasn’t taking the bait, followed by getting back out of his car for another shot when I attempted to continue on, but eventually giving up. All on camera.

First Garda seemed useful, interested. But then it was “His word against mine” attitude, driver doesn’t live in my district, etc.

Email to traffic corps head office to get opinion. Raised to sergeant. A cycling sergeant. Lots of interest. Accepted usb of footage. Had trouble tracking driver but would let me know when he does and he would be cautioned.

Radio silence since. We really do have it stacked against us. Road tax, blah blah blah.

Do you think they treat you any differently if you were driving a bus? They ignore you it goes away

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you pulse reference numbers and if not did you request one)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Dealing with the Gardai is akin to call center customer service.

Ostensibly they are there to help you but in most cases they just want to get rid of you as quickly and easily as possible.

Only way to get anything done is to be a nuisance and get reference numbers and contact details.

It’s a fooking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

It's really depressing and infuriating. I'm probably going to give up cycling, after decades spent commuting. After my most recent collision two weeks ago (third in 14 years, none my fault), my wife has had enough and I'm beginning to agree with her. Off the bike at present due to that injury, probably won't get back on it. It's just not safe out there. "10% of transport budget"? I'll believe it when I see it - or else it'll probably just be thousands of gallons of paint for more white lines that are completely ignored.

p15574 wrote: »
    It's really depressing and infuriating. I'm probably going to give up cycling, after decades spent commuting. After my most recent collision two weeks ago (third in 14 years, none my fault), my wife has had enough and I'm beginning to agree with her. Off the bike at present due to that injury, probably won't get back on it. It's just not safe out there. "10% of transport budget"? I'll believe it when I see it - or else it'll probably just be thousands of gallons of paint for more white lines that are completely ignored.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm sure it's coming in the next few years unless we see a radical change in infrastructure and attitude. My father in law was knocked off his bike in a hit and run years back, when my wife was a teenager, and ended up in hospital for weeks. My wife has never truly liked me cycling but only in the last 1-2 years she's seen the increase in me moaning and being frustrated when I get home, exactly like her dad used to do, and has been hinting at it. Likewise, I'm inclining to agree with her. Good times.

its not really that unsafe out there, lets not lose the run of ourselves

I can't really see it getting worse or there being any major shift in attitude

stats back it up

personal experience confirms the stats

Been knocked off once in 30 years of cycling and that was 50% my own fault

Had a most enjoyable cycle in this morning, across the city, by far the best way to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

its not really that unsafe out there, lets not lose the run of ourselves

I can't really see it getting worse or there being any major shift in attitude

stats back it up

personal experience confirms the stats

Been knocked off once in 30 years of cycling and that was 50% my own fault

Had a most enjoyable cycle in this morning, across the city, by far the best way to get around

That's true, but the consequences of getting hit can be quite severe. Not much comfort being a statistical outlier if you're lying in a hospital bed :D

xckjoo wrote: »
    That's true, but the consequences of getting hit can be quite severe. Not much comfort being a statistical outlier if you're lying in a hospital bed :D

tis true, it depends what you want unsafe to mean

it's usually very bad for your health to fall 10000 meters from a plane, but it doesn't happen all that often

so is flying unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

tis true, it depends what you want unsafe to mean

it's usually very bad for your health to fall 10000 meters from a plane, but it doesn't happen all that often

so is flying unsafe
    General formula is risk = severity x probability and then decide what level of risk is acceptable to you. Or just ballpark it with gut feeling

xckjoo wrote: »
    General formula is risk = severity x probability and then decide what level of risk is acceptable to you. Or just ballpark it with gut feeling

yeah so 30 years, one soft tissue injury, could easily have been avoided

pretty safe

I'm more of a danger to myself, 30 years, 2 broken bones

1 a mechanical issue, one a bitta ice

that's just my own stats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Had to cycle briefly on the Quays/College Green/Townsend St etc and it was fine, safe.

But the test for safety (or the perception of safety) should be based on someone who hasn't cycled in years and wants to cut their commutes massively... I wouldn't recommend it to them at all.

If no infrastructure is forthcoming, the best we can hope for is driverless coaches/taxis in particular. Won't be sorry to see those professions go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

p15574 wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear this. However, far more people die of heart disease and cancer (the chances of contracting both halved by regular cycling) than do in crashes.

My solution is to use back roads where possible, and agitate without stopping for the building of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network and other safe infrastructure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement