Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman rakes up 648 convictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Crack is wack!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The majority of people who are ending up before the district courts are victims of addictive substances being sold by these gangs. Yeah, their actions are annoying and even infuriating if you're the victim of petty crime, but it's petty crime.

Yes its petty crime but it's still the likes of breaking into people's houses which is vile. If the low level criminals want help they can get help and in return help catch the mid level criminals

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes its petty crime but it's still the likes of breaking into people's houses which is vile. If the low level criminals want help they can get help and in return help catch the mid level criminals
    "If low-level criminals want help they can get help" -- are you kidding me, or are you excluding drug addicts from that?

Do you know how difficult/ almost impossible it is to access state-funded rehabilitation in this country for people with heroin addiction?

I agree with you that breaking into someone's home is one of the most serious crimes on the law books, and is way too trivialised. It can ruin a person's sense of security and some people never recover.

Still, the answer isn't retribution and anger, it's engagement with social services, including drug rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

bluewolf wrote: »
    Those drugs kids are scary though

Only if you say yes to them. Otherwise: grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

Boggles wrote: »
    She is homeless.

she's just like you and me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We seem to spend an awful lot of time chasing petty stuff and it will not be resolved until we go after the mid and high level stuff in a much more aggressive way.
    AKA The War on Drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    She is a terrible thief, despite all the convictions , she is a homeless addict, she needs to be in a psychiatric unit for her own safety but the liberals who dictate policy view that as not nice so this is what we get

Jaysus, I was with you until the last bit.
    Which is more liberal continuing to lock her up or sending her to a clinic to get dried out and psychiatric help? Let me guess the one that makes least sense (after the 648th time) and costs more?

Remember that woman who was naked in the cells and the Garda taking selfies or what ever. Just reminded of that.

Maybe the like of Gerry Ryan getting done might have deterred a few, including himself. The well to do can tackle it and fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Do you know how difficult/ almost impossible it is to access state-funded rehabilitation in this country for people with heroin addiction?

Yeah it's hard but there's so many other things that are also underfunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's very roughly one conviction a month since she was born or one a fortnight since she turned 18!!!

You're right, we have limited resources and have to direct those resources to the areas of the greatest need.

But either this is a big problem or not.

If the current crime rate, or that which is caused by addicts, is tolerable then OK.

If it really needs to be addressed then we might want to look at the pitifully weak resources we contribute to rehabilitation, to the point that getting clean is currently a fantasy for almost everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I would.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Does she deserve a 649th chance? No.

Long sentence needed, she is a menace to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Her brother Neil is pretty famous too , 50 years ago week he landed on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Think of all the free legal aid......

Keep her in the clink, she is a habitual offender and beyond rehabilitation.

"Engagement with social services" my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Her brother Neil is pretty famous too , 50 years ago week he landed on the moon.

He was also a man of conviction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Even though she's responsible for her own actions, I'd say she has had the sh1ttiest life. When people feel sorry for the children of drug addicts, street alcoholics etc, and say that they don't stand a chance, remember, she is the adult they become.

Being in some form of state care seems like the only option really. She can't look after herself left to her own devices, and she has no boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Give her one more chance, 649's a magic number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

If we bring in a new 700 strikes law this lady will be sh1tting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's just a straight out exclusion.

conveniently cheapskate. Years ago I was trading at a stall in a city and a man came asking for help. He was in distress; had been discharged from a mental hospital that morning and just put on a bus. It was Saturday and he had nowhere to go. it was opposite the Garda Station and he had already tried to get help there.

He lifted his shirt; his whole chest was covered in scars from cutting himself and he was intending more harm. He was desperate for help; not drunk but certainly drugged.

I took him over to the Gardai thinking they could get him readmitted. Prefer not to relate what happened, but at least I got him a safe bed for the night.

That is not the only time this has happened; people discharged at a weekend and with nowhere to go and no support.

Decades ago these would have been admitted etc.

• Advertisement

so?

Limpy wrote: »
    Does she deserve a 649th chance? No.

Long sentence needed, she is a menace to society.

heaven forbid we get what we deserve :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Wouldn't it be great if she just dropped dead today, no longer a burden on society, the legal system, retail in the city. An absolute waste of skin and oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

My god... sh... she’s..beautiful!

Keep her in the clink, she is a habitual offender and beyond rehabilitation.

"Engagement with social services" my eye.
    Yeah, you know - address any addictions she might have, bring her face to face with people she stole from, so she has to listen to how she may have intimidated or harmed them, encourage her into developing any skill at all - things that have been shown to have an effect.

How's imprisonment going for her offending ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s pretty obvious that the scourge of addiction - whether it be alcohol dependency or other drugs - has created a criminal underclass where endless convictions and jail time do no good whatsoever in actually weaning these tragic individuals off a life of crime - and the only workable solution as I can see would be to take this woman away from society into some form of very long term rehabilitation. Even then, it probably would not work at this late stage.

She is 44 - the same age as me - and looks closer to 70. I would be surprised if she makes it to 50.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious that the scourge of addiction - whether it be alcohol dependency or other drags - has created a criminal underclass where endless convictions and jail time do no good whatsoever in actually weaning these tragic individuals off a life of crime - and the only workable solution as I can see would be to take this woman away from society into some form of very long term rehabilitation. Even then, it probably would not work at this late stage.

She is 44 - the same age as me - and looks closer to 70. I would be surprised if she makes it to 50.
    Anything is worth trying at this stage, as much as for her own sake as anyone else's.

I wouldn't oppose a model of civic detention (detox, rehab and effectively medical/ psychiatric incarceration) for people with chronic criminal behaviour who suffer from addiction to drugs.

The only problem is you have to ensure that they have social supports (jobs and homes they won't want to lose) when they get out. And that's where society is likely to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

She wanted to do so and become a "useful member of society", her barrister said.

Well,she's certainly proving to be useful to members of the law society.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You can be sure she has already offended since this court case was dealt with, to some committing crime is an occupation.

If it was my occupation I would at least try to be good at it. Does she even realize the point is not to get caught?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

If you can find people to write a letter to the judge you'll get off in Ireland. She obviously has produced 648 of them. Shes really a nice person... Justice system is laughable here now.

Advertisement