Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman rakes up 648 convictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

El_Bee wrote: »
    Guys, prison doesn't work, they tried prison in america and there's still crime over there. this poor woman clearly suffers from a Difficult home life, Substance abuse issues, Learning difficulties, Having a "bad time of it", she probably has a letter from a social worker saying that she swears she'll turn things around..... THIS time! so lay off the poor woman. No-one is perfect I'm sure you're all no angles, stop being busy bodies and worrying about other people stick to your own lives ok?
    My heart bleeds....

No wonder they can do what they want when there are those like you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Nice Language..... How about checking with the people who served time behind bars for stupid stuff like non payment of fines before praising our "lenient" legal system BTW is it normal now for people to call others they don't even know "a piece of s1ht" Heaven help society......
    Your focus is on three words on the internet rather than her behaviour? Yeah you know that that expression has been used for years - it's hardly something new.

And nobody said anything about people who are imprisoned for non payment of fines. :confused:

Kinda bigger concerns for society than three little words...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Some people want to give her a life sentence for stealing a bottle of wine? Would you get over yourselves. lol

She should be punished fairly for every crime she commits, but you'd have to be sick in the head to want to give someone ten years for stealing a bottle of wine. She is obviously disturbed and needs assistance, but probably will not accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In certain countries she wouldn't have any hands by now, in Ireland its 649 strikes and you're out.

I can't help feeling that we need a happy medium.

If she was in any of those countries all that be left of her would be two little toes they’d have so much chopped off.

Some people want to give her a life sentence for stealing a bottle of wine? Would you get over yourselves. lol

She should be punished fairly for every crime she commits, but you'd have to be sick in the head to want to give someone ten years for stealing a bottle of wine. She is obviously disturbed and needs assistance, but probably will not accept it.

Im not sure if you’re taking the piss or not. But assuming you’re serious, it’s not the one bottle of wine people have an issue with it’s the enormous amount of convictions. If she had been sentenced to six months for each the problem would have solved itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

klaaaz wrote: »
    Are people in the "lock 'em up brigade" willing to pay higher direct income taxes to lock people like the offender up for life/10 years? It costs money to put people in prison and yet the lock 'em up brigade want lower taxes, you can't have both!

I genuinely wouldn't consider myself as part of the lock em up brigade. I said after 50 convictions. 50. Then ten years.

Some places, people get 25 years for 3 convictions. I am not a supporter of that. I think having an "allowance" of 50 convictions is quite reasonable. To think the vast majority of people go through life with none. Or maybe something minor when they were young etc. But someone with 50 and over is past help. 10 years might be the next step in providing that help.

I can't speak for everyone, but yes, I'd be happy to pay for someone with over 50 convictions to serve 10 years.

If it costs 80,000 a year to house her, as part of 2.19 million working people, I'd happily contribute 5cent a year. So you wouldn't even need to take off the pensioners and unemployed.

If I knew 50euro a year was servicing 1000 serial offenders with 50plus convictions, yes I'd have no issue.

Don't forget, I'm not saying "lock em all up".

I'm saying apply it to those who have many 100s of victims, who have already cost many thousands, possibly 100s of thousands, in legal aid, Garda time, and retail/personal loss.

Would I pay 5 cent a year to ensure this woman doesn't take my mother's phone, or steal from my local shop, or take up a cell in a Garda station while I'm queueing for a passport application? Of course I would.

It's a tiny percent of the population, generating a disproportionate amount of the crime. Again I'm not saying lock up on three, or ten or twenty. But 50 convictions. I don't think that's unreasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

She will be a blight on society forever and there is nothing anyone can do to change that.

At 27 years she must be one of the longest serving prisoners in the history of the state surely !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have a crazy system alright but hundreds of convictions for an alcoholic for stealing bottles of wine and the like is a bit less worrying than roided up coke heads with tens of unprovoked assault convictions prowling the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

looksee wrote: »
    At what point does criminality and recidivism segue into mental illness? And this is not an appeal or an excuse to 'let her off'; she is a liability to shopkeepers, the justice system, the guards, and herself. There has to come a time when she should be removed to a controlled situation and some attempt made to figure out what is happening in her head that she continues to steal - an activity she is clearly not very good at judging by the number of times she has been caught.

agree wholeheartedly.

a few decades ago there were large mental institutions that catered for those unable to cope in many ways. N B I know the Uk system better than the Irish.They closed these for costs and it went to "care in the community" when the community did not care. and the only facilities were for the very seriously mentally ill. This woman is clearly unable to stop herself as she is . She would still have been locked up but some investigation .. alcohol abuse alone? No amount of prison will work

And if she stole 648 bottles of wine from a warehouse, what would you say? Just a bottle of wine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Guys, prison doesn't work, they tried prison in america and there's still crime over there. this poor woman clearly suffers from a Difficult home life, Substance abuse issues, Learning difficulties, Having a "bad time of it", she probably has a letter from a social worker saying that she swears she'll turn things around..... THIS time! so lay off the poor woman. No-one is perfect I'm sure you're all no angles, stop being busy bodies and worrying about other people stick to your own lives ok?

This attitude is what's wrong with Ireland. What about the victims and also the future victims?? do you just not care about these people? Why should I just ignore the fact that the crappy legal system is telling criminals its ok to commit crime?
    Nice Language..... How about checking with the people who served time behind bars for stupid stuff like non payment of fines before praising our "lenient" legal system BTW is it normal now for people to call others they don't even know "a piece of s1ht" Heaven help society......

And every word of it deserved, she's a terrible person and should be locked up. Fines are different, her convictions arent for not paying her tv licence. Our lenient legal system allows criminals get away with horrible crimes, I don't think anybody should accept living in a society that cares more about criminals than it does about victims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

spurious wrote: »
    We have a crazy system alright but hundreds of convictions for an alcoholic for stealing bottles of wine and the like is a bit less worrying than roided up coke heads with tens of unprovoked assault convictions prowling the streets.
    I do agree with you on the coke heads but she has 88 convictions for theft, 216 convictions for public intoxication and unspecified numbers for assault and harassment. No doubt there are others but that's all I could find on her. She doesn't just steal, she is a menace and annoyance to people too.

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/prolific-criminal-is-given-one-last-chance-after-conviction-number-648-38312572.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Armstrong begged for "one last chance"

She's having a laugh :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Say no to drugs kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's a lot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Those drugs kids are scary though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dodzy wrote: »
    Jasus, she’s some hound.

Jesus.
    Thought it was Michael Gambon in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sheesh....It's only 648 previous convictions.

Of course she deserves another chance. Obviously she'll have learned her lesson now. A lot of people are very quick to judge this poor girl. We all deserve a 2nd chance or in her case a 649th one.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

klaaaz wrote: »
    Are people in the "lock 'em up brigade" willing to pay higher direct income taxes to lock people like the offender up for life/10 years? It costs money to put people in prison and yet the lock 'em up brigade want lower taxes, you can't have both!

This is EXACTLY what I want my tax Euros spent on - locking up criminals to make Ireland a safer community for law-abiding citizens. We could offset the extra cost by scaling back the obscenely generous social welfare structure that supports a huge cohort who are fully capable of supporting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Greyfox wrote: »
    Absolute piece of s**t, she should have a long sentence by now.

Don't worry some fruitcake will be on here soon saying its better to give her one more chance.

And some people think we dont have a lenient legal system :confused:

She's served a total of 27 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Andrew Maxwell has let himself go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I'll bet the Criminal's Rights lobby groups like Irish Council For Civil Liberties and Irish Penal Reform Trust won't be available for any drive time shows this afternoon. Even they couldn't defend a system that keeps this one on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If only we had a system where the state could punish people properly, I would see nothing wrong at all with having the woman hung and such a execution would send a message to the rest of society. Bring back the Death Penalty for serial offenders like her and anyone with multiple convictions should be sent to the gallows and let us clean up society for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Some sort of drying out/ mental institution type thingy for this lady. ( BTW I know SFA about her personal circumstances : sending her back to prison might be the best place for her.) Putting her back in prison is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Don't be so obtuse
    This woman is acute hoor not fit for the streets

Wonder would you have the same degree of sympathy if you ended up one of her victims. You'd be going 90....

She claims she'll do a 360 this time around but I can't see her going straight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lalababa wrote: »
    Some sort of drying out/ mental institution type thingy for this lady. ( BTW I know SFA about her personal circumstances : sending her back to prison might be the best place for her.) Putting her back in prison is just stupid.

The mental health act purposefully excludes all addiction related issues.

theguzman wrote: »
    If only we had a system where the state could punish people properly, I would see nothing wrong at all with having the woman hung and such a execution would send a message to the rest of society. Bring back the Death Penalty for serial offenders like her and anyone with multiple convictions should be sent to the gallows and let us clean up society for a change.

You might be going just a tad overboard there. Locking up for 10 years after 10 convictions will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I believe she’ll change.

Then again my boss also believed me when I said I was sick two weeks ago after a night on the sauce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Weird, that would mean she's been in the entire time since she was 17. Must work quick to get caught again each time.

Herald must have made a mistake so, maybe didn't included suspended sentences? But your second point seems pretty likely. Sounds like she just gets released and goes straight back on the booze, and since shes got no money coming out she steals it and is straight back inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/serial-thief-handed-one-last-chance-as-she-walks-free-after-648th-conviction-38312544.html

Clearly this person will never change and she will just continue to steal, assault and be a burden to us the taxpayers.

The only solution for people like this is a long sentence to the central mental health hospital with/or psychiatric drugs to inhibit their behaviors or a lobotomy.

Lobotomy sounds like a great idea, the do gooders would never go for it though...

Advertisement