Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Stunning day in Cork, very warm all day and mostly sunny since late morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Calibos wrote: »
    Are you in Iceland?

Jaysus, I've had my duvet kicked off and bedside fan aimed at my back running all night every night since the weather finally got milder in mid June.

I'm not a beached whale with tonnes of insulating blubber either.

Hive Thermostats tell me my indoor temp is about 22ºc upstairs and downstairs near 24/7.

Must be our Victorian era house with its South and West aspect with massive solar gain and thermal mass from the 2ft thick exterior walls soaking up the heat during the day and releasing it into the interior at night.

My current issue is that I can't leave my Velux open at the weekends because of loadmouth gob****e drunks on their way to and from the local pubs keeping us awake if we leave the Velux open.

So to hear someone used their electric blanket last night just boggles my mind.

Sorry if I'm going to start a row from afar but this is the sort of passive aggressive post that other posters have complained about and that is frankly,really annoying!

Fan aimed at your back all night every night!:rolleyes: You're in Ireland for god's sake, not in the tropics and you clearly don't have a high heat /humidity tolerance!

I totally get what that poster is saying re the electric blanket. For example I was in southern Spain from 5-11th July at average temps of 32 deg. On 12th I flew from Alicante to Sicily via Milan and had to spend about 5 hours in Milan and I found the overcast 25 degrees there really chilly. Was thrilled to arrive in Sicily to be back to 30 plus temps. When I return to Ireland on 21st there's no doubt that I will really feel the cold, even if the weather is mild.

So while I also live in a warm house in Ireland,which in warm weather has its own micro climate and can feel quite humid, there's no doubt that we all perceive heat and cold in our own way according to our own circumstances.Last year during the hot summer I got totally slated by some posters as I dared to mention that I'd put my heat on. I'd just come back from close to 40 deg!

So each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

beers outside at 9pm
    This is the life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Pretty much sums up this summer so far..

The sun briefly threatened to come out earlier but we were quickly back to slate grey skies. We'll try again tomorrow..
    I've had enough of this damn summer .... sunny early in the morning, cloudy all day and the sky clears in the evening ... and it goes on and on and on ...
    I cant wait for proper summer which should arrive around the third week of August and into September! A s**t summer as far as I'm concerned,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fantastic sunset :) tomorrow is going to be a cracker. Enjoy , miserable from Wednesday onwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fantastic sunset :) tomorrow is going to be a cracker. Enjoy , miserable from Wednesday onwards

totally, enjoy the next 2 days. ECM and GFS from Wednesday is grim with a train of low pressures lining up for second half of July.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    totally, enjoy the next 2 days. ECM and GFS from Wednesday is grim with a train of low pressures lining up for second half of July.

I thought there were indications of very warm weather returning for the last 10 days of this month. Has that disappeared?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I thought there were indications of very warm weather returning for the last 10 days of this month. Has that disappeared?

that could still happen, but right now it's looking mild and unsettled then warm and unsettled. Not to be confused with the freezing cold of June.

Expect about 16 to 20C for the next 1 to 2 weeks, rather than the 10 to 15C we had in June. Unlikely we will see temperatures much higher than 23C for the rest of July unless we see a sudden change to something more settled and plumey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well after a rather benign day in Dublin with some nice sunny spells during the evening, sunset was an absolute stunner... best sunset I have seen honestly (the phone shot below does not give it justice). I was considering going tomorrow night instead of tonight but ended up choosing tonight and I most certainly do not regret it.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1150150924893151232

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice glow on the horizon at 22.45 in kerry

Cooling down, now at 12.1C

qgNbsja.jpg?3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ARPEGE showing the highest temps tomorrow getting up to 25C, ECM / HIRLAM up to 24C and AROME and ICON showing up to 22C

Best of the Temperatures in the Western half of the country, hopefully everyone will get some sunshine at some stage, could do quite well here in Kerry.

arpegeuk-41-28-0_qvz7.png

v70K3vP.png

PsYzZXy.png

m0DBqal.png

17 for Dublin

Usual ****e with an easterly breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes looks like two or three days of dry weather then a wet day wash and repeat.
    But could still change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That was a fairly pleasant afternoon/evening in Glasnevin with a lot of sunshine and a high temperature of 21.4C. It's now cooled down to 12.6C.

lawred2 wrote: »
    17 for Dublin

Usual ****e with an easterly breeze

It sure has been a very poor summer for high temperatures along the east and Dublin in particular with a cool onshore wind for much of the summer. Even here in Meath we've just about managed to scrape 23C twice this year, not sure that will be beaten over the next few weeks unless there is a proper plume without an easterly sourced wind. Funny thing is we could easily beat this temperature in September so plenty of time left to get something warmer, even if it's just for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

While there is unsettled weather in prospect for the coming week looking at the gfs. the weather on some of the days are going to be quite warm. There is potential for a thundery Spanish plume in the next 10 days. We have a cold front on Wednesday. It looks to be cool on Thursday and Friday. Should be up to about 20°c next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dazzling sun already out here.. west mayo offshore island paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy in Sligo.

Thought today was promised sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a cloud in the sky,gonna be a warm one

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

I only really needed 2 days the whole summer to be dry
    Really needed!
    This weds and Thursday
    Cries

10 am and already a scorcher.. blue blue sky and too hot to be out.. Just been picking flowers... too early for out as the midges are...

BUT IT IS HOT!

west mayo offshore suntrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely day in North Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

. Funny thing is we could easily beat this temperature in September so plenty of time left to get something warmer, even if it's just for one day.

Yeah but not many of us want the warm weather in September, we want it in July and August. Very frustrating when this happens ( which is far too often)

Hopefully we will get some very warm temps in the 23-27 C range at some point in August. I’m still optimistic it will happen. We can’t write August off just because the last two weeks in July look s***e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

acequion wrote: »
    So while I also live in a warm house in Ireland,which in warm weather has its own micro climate and can feel quite humid, there's no doubt that we all perceive heat and cold in our own way according to our own circumstances.Last year during the hot summer I got totally slated by some posters as I dared to mention that I'd put my heat on. I'd just come back from close to 40 deg!

You'd probably think it really weird if someone decided to comment in December about how they're sweating with the heat but actually it turned out they had a fever.

We all have our own preferences for the weather but to be honest I'm regularly amazed at people's expectations here for an Irish summer. Most people I know are pretty happy if it's just dry and they're positively delighted if it's above 20 degrees. On this forum if it's not high twenties or mid thirties there's talk of freezing, fleeces, electric blankets and heating on.

Looks like a nice day today as Sunday's go. I actually think Sunday is often unusually sunny relative to the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and cool in Letterkenny as always :rolleyes:

Cloud looks to be slowly breaking up on satellite so we might manage a sunny afternoon hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

This forum has a widespread preference for lower temperatures than high-20s during Summer. There is only a handful on here who don't find high temperatures oppressive. Most certainly there isn't widespread talk of needing jackets etc in 20 degree weather! No idea where you've got that from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day here in kerry, already 20.8C

WSxWcJW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Summer 2019 has panned out very nicely after poor weather up to mid June. The last 3-4 weeks have been very good, mostly dry and quite warm. After such a great summer last year I would have taken this. Beautiful day again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I am referring to Dublin and east coast, not sure if it’s been nice in all areas

Lovely glorious HOT day!

OK?

Ok!

west mayo offshore suntrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

John.Icy wrote: »
    This forum has a widespread preference for lower temperatures than high-20s during Summer. There is only a handful on here who don't find high temperatures oppressive. Most certainly there isn't widespread talk of needing jackets etc in 20 degree weather! No idea where you've got that from.

No there are loads on here,including myself,who do love high temperatures. And quite a few of us often complaining that we find it chilly and need heat, though from an Irish perspective it might be quite warm.

The problem is that people travel so much nowadays and get used to and want roasting weather in summer and feel dissatisfied when home. But as several posters point out, we have to be realistic in Ireland and be very happy if it's dry and pleasant. Anything more is a bonus.

Advertisement