Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Much fresher this morning thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Much fresher this morning thankfully

I think it's the breeze making it feel better
    Heading for 18c at 915 in Arklow which is quite warm for this early
    Humidity 70%
    Beautiful day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very fresh this morning which is nice for a change once it warms up later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just leaving Cyprus now. Looking forward to some cooler weather. Been low 30 with hight humidity the last 2week
    M.T forecast looks perfect to be coming home to

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mostly overcast here in Tralee with sunny breaks , mist and drizzle on and off with high humidity. Has the feeling of a warm airmass moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy and mild morning in Meath, hopefully there will be some sun in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The midges are back and they have been breeding!

OUCH!

Mild and midgy....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzle here now, no sun at all today, feeling fresh, temperature of 18C.

Gonzo wrote: »
    drizzle here now, no sun at all today, feeling fresh, temperature of 18C.

Sun of sorts all day in Arklow
    Peak of 21
    Currently 19.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lashing rain in Sligo currently

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Lashing rain in Sligo currently

This has to be the worst summer since 2012 in the North-West, Scotland is also suffering a very poor summer as well.

June was a write off for most of the country with the exception of the last week of June. July so far hasn't been too bad away from the North with southern areas getting the best of the sunshine and the warmer temperatures.

Once we get past the middle of next week it looks very uncertain how the rest of July is shaping up, we could easily get a hot spell towards the end of the month, but we could also stay unsettled, next week begins the change to a more unsettled period from the looks of the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I lived in England in 2012 so can't compare but this is right up there with the worst I've experienced, f**ing depressing since the start of June. Not the wettest ever but never ending greyness and little to no warmth. Think there've been three days all summer so far where I've managed to wear a t-shirt and only had to cut the grass maybe 4 times all year.

As for today, cool, dark and breezy with frequent drizzle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Dont worry soon we will have 6 months of winter to look forward too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I lived in England in 2012 so can't compare but this is right up there with the worst I've experienced, f**ing depressing since the start of June. Not the wettest ever but never ending greyness and little to no warmth. Think there've been three days all summer so far where I've managed to wear a t-shirt and only had to cut the grass maybe 4 times all year.

As for today, cool, dark and breezy with frequent drizzle..

I often said this on here that despite being a small landmass there can be huge differences in the weather in different parts of the country.

With the huge volume of ocean all around us we are always going to see its cooling and heating.

It has been quite a good summer in the west. A very dry May and then wet and cold til mid June. But then we got some lovely days. I went to the beach 1 day. Always a sign of a decent summer in Ireland! Hopefully more to come, though July and August tend to be very cloudy and humid.

I thought in 2012,the far northwest had an average summer,with the wettest weather concentrated in the south and east
    Systems moving into Munster and then travelling up leinster into east Ulster

Beautiful evening in Arklow, sunny and currently still 19c

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I thought in 2012,the far northwest had an average summer,with the wettest weather concentrated in the south and east

I was expecting the cloud to break in the afternoon and evening, but still not a hint of sunshine and spots of drizzle from time to time. Tomorrow to Monday should be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was expecting the cloud to break in the afternoon and evening, but still not a hint of sunshine and spots of drizzle from time to time. Tomorrow to Monday should be an improvement.

Hope you're right.

Sun never appeared here in Dublin + stayed chilly. On plus side finally got to blitz the house with cleaning jobs I'd put off because it was too humid or nice to be stuck cleaning.

If the so called nice weather that the media predicts actually happens this weekend I can sit back + enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mortelaro wrote: »

I think 2017 was generally a worse summer in that part of Ireland than 2012 as it was very west to southwesterly.

It'll be a disapprovment hereabouts temps wise because the sea breeze will be back
    Arklow area always gets warm in a summer northwesterly for 2 reasons
    The wind run from Donegal down to here is over several hundred kms of land filtering out its ocean coolness and warming it,we are almost its longest trek before exiting the country
    Secondly,it has the longest trek across the Wicklow mountains and being in their Lee,we get the sunny breaks bringing on calibos's costa del Bray or Costa Arklow description
    The Lee of those hills also have the same cloud breaking effects with westerlies
    South westerlies not so much here but yes for Bray
    Southerlies are colder than they should be because the local area is on a bit of a headland meaning a southerly wind runs are entirely sea
    Heres my current view as I type and it's very pleasant!
    That's looking due west towards the 2000ft asl Croghan mtn,you cant see it,because of the trees

Reposted -fixed photo

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think 2017 was generally a worse summer in that part of Ireland than 2012 as it was very west to southwesterly.

Aye,totally different to 2012,which would have been much better I think but much wetter for the rest of us

Heres my current view near Arklow looking East, sun behind me
    Its typical of the blue sky and sunny breaks here all day,for the reasons in my last post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

appledrop wrote: »
    Sun never appeared here in Dublin + stayed chilly. On plus side finally got to blitz the house with cleaning jobs I'd put off because it was too humid or nice to be stuck cleaning.

If the so called nice weather that the media predicts actually happens this weekend I can sit back + enjoy it!

Wouldn't say it was ever chilly now... Overcast yes but definitely not chilly

To me obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@mortelaro

There must be a worry about the lack of rain in the south east. Ye didn't get much of the rain that fell over the midlands downwards over the last week or so. Places must be very dry.

@mortelaro

There must be a worry about the lack of rain in the south east. Ye didn't get much of the rain that fell over the midlands downwards over the last week or so. Places must be very dry.

Yup
    On my farm,the drains have dried up again and they are 6ft deep
    As I said in a post a few days ago,itll soon be a month since we've had more than 1mm here in any rain
    Not good for growth during the longest days of the year
    Nowhere near as bad as last summer in that respect obviously

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say it was ever chilly now... Overcast yes but definitely not chilly

To me obviously

Ah you know what I mean. I haven't needed a cardigan or coat outside for nearly 2 weeks as warm/humid but you would need one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lovely day here in Wexford and a glorious evening. It was still 20c an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah you know what I mean. I haven't needed a cardigan or coat outside for nearly 2 weeks as warm/humid but you would need one today.

Have to agree with you, sitting outside for a few minutes had to put on my fleece .
    Fist time in a good while.
    I'd call it fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Another fairly poor summer’s day in Dublin IMO.

Cloudy all day and temp only around 18c.

Once AGAIN Met E failed to forecast the extent of the cloud cover. Is it that difficult to do a day in advance?

My iPhone app has been way more predictable than Met E all summer regarding cloud cover.

For tomorrow it’s forecasting another fairly poor day with cloud cover until 3pm and temps struggling to breach 20 degrees.

Met E way more optimistic. Let’s see who’s right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

A lovely day here in Wexford and a glorious evening. It was still 20c an hour ago.

Yeah looked like down there was the place to be again.... not so great here today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretty uneventful again today with universal cloud in Dublin but what do I expect from Ireland and this crap summer.

Advertisement