Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there a weather station in Arklow? Would love to see sunshine stats for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Mortelaro wrote: »
    To be honest
    Met Éireann with direct access to their own brand new NwP (which is meant to be good on cloud cover) and with decades of experience can't get cloud cover right so what hope have apps?
    Automated apps are useless at those kind of specifics or useless in general with any kind of complication

In my opinion the weather app on my phone (which pulls data from official sources anyway) has been WAY more accurate than anything ME have forecast, particularly with regards to cloud cover.

My iPhone correctly forecast that yesterday would be entirely cloudy in Dublin and the same for this morning.

It also didn’t get carried away with the “heatwave” at the end of June and correctly forecast that it would be cloudy and around 21/22 max each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is a powerful bit of sunshine out there now! enough to charm anyone.. Been watering the plants and soon will go out there with my handwork and sizzle

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloud thinning out nicely here in Mayo with sunshine appearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It was cloudy here this morning and there's some sunny spells now, as per forecast. It's 18.2C now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

compsys wrote: »
    In my opinion the weather app on my phone (which pulls data from official sources anyway) has been WAY more accurate than anything ME have forecast, particularly with regards to cloud cover.

My iPhone correctly forecast that yesterday would be entirely cloudy in Dublin and the same for this morning.

It also didn’t get carried away with the “heatwave” at the end of June and correctly forecast that it would be cloudy and around 21/22 max each day.

Wunderground isn't too bad actually,whatever algorithms it uses,it works out from radar and satellite, it's a nowcast to within a few hours
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Is there a weather station in Arklow? Would love to see sunshine stats for there.

Theres a full Met Éireann climate station in Arklow alright, its located on a farm on the hill at the back of the Rugby club
    It was upgraded to a fully automatic climate station,similar to all the others on met.ie but isn't listed yet,even though its well over a year
    The farmer whose land it's on told me his station is one of the if not the driest in the network usually on an annual basis
    It should have at least 12 months of sunshine records locally
    I don't record for met Éireann anymore,I used to,I was offered the auto station here about 15 years ago iirc but declined
    I have my own Davis vantage pro 2 station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

I see 23c is max theyv predicted today

18c highest i see at 1

Maybe 21c but freezing here still

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Cloud thinning out nicely in North Dublin anyway. Nice bright day now. Got my job's done earlier so free to enjoy the sun for the rest of the weekend!

Cloud thinning out nicely in North Dublin anyway. Nice bright day now. Got my job's done earlier so free to enjoy the sun for the rest of the weekend!

It is thinning out but it's still managing to thin in such a way as to always be in front of the sun with blue sky left and right of the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The rate of burnoff on sat24 visible in the last frames is rapid.

Shaping up to be a lovely afternoon for many (outside the NW perhaps).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pauldry wrote: »
    I see 23c is max theyv predicted today

18c highest i see at 1

Maybe 21c but freezing here still

Don`t exaggerate whatever you do.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

John.Icy wrote: »
    The rate of burnoff on sat24 visible in the last frames is rapid.

Shaping up to be a lovely afternoon for many (outside the NW perhaps).

Sun breaking through here in Kerry too. Looks like it will clear up nicely for the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Strong sea Breeze in Arklow now replacing the land breeze
    Gusting 30kmh East
    That'll cool her here.

22 degrees according to ME

ME hole it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sun after burning off the cloud and glorious day now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don`t exaggerate whatever you do.:rolleyes:

In fairness to the poster, I had my electric blanket on last night so it is freezing to some!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A very disappointing day here (N Dublin)
    The sun only manages to come out for about 10 seconds at a time, feel a bit sorry for those who headed to the seaside as a sunny day was forecast, can't be very pleasant with that chilly north westerly and under a blanket of cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mars Bar wrote: »
    In fairness to the poster, I had my electric blanket on last night so it is freezing to some!

Are you in Iceland?

Jaysus, I've had my duvet kicked off and bedside fan aimed at my back running all night every night since the weather finally got milder in mid June.

I'm not a beached whale with tonnes of insulating blubber either.

Hive Thermostats tell me my indoor temp is about 22ºc upstairs and downstairs near 24/7.

Must be our Victorian era house with its South and West aspect with massive solar gain and thermal mass from the 2ft thick exterior walls soaking up the heat during the day and releasing it into the interior at night.

My current issue is that I can't leave my Velux open at the weekends because of loadmouth gob****e drunks on their way to and from the local pubs keeping us awake if we leave the Velux open.

So to hear someone used their electric blanket last night just boggles my mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day here in Meath, been sunny this morning, thought it would be warmer, but still feeling very pleasant at 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Calibos wrote: »
    Are you in Iceland?

Jaysus, I've had my duvet kicked off and bedside fan aimed at my back running all night every night since the weather finally got milder in mid June.

I'm not a beached whale with tonnes of insulating blubber either.

Hive Thermostats tell me my indoor temp is about 22ºc upstairs and downstairs near 24/7.

Must be our Victorian era house with its South and West aspect with massive solar gain and thermal mass from the 2ft thick exterior walls soaking up the heat during the day and releasing it into the interior at night.

My current issue is that I can't leave my Velux open at the weekends because of loadmouth gob****e drunks on their way to and from the local pubs keeping us awake if we leave the Velux open.

So to hear someone used their electric blanket last night just boggles my mind.

Nope, but I'm 2 weeks back from the middle east and I haven't adjusted all that well, clearly!

The sun has finally come out from the clouds in North East galway and dare I say that I'm actually a bit warm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mars Bar wrote: »

Melted Mars bar ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well just back from Malahide Castle + it was great. Very cloudy this morning but that actually suited us for playground .Then sun came out with some clouds for fairy trail/ gardens + ice cream.

Very warm out there now in sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Some day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Glorious afternoon here now proper summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

summertime! Glorious day... sitting in strong sun with a gentle breeze among the flowers..... perfection...

Not seen my cats for hours; they will all be in sun nests around the land..

west mayo offshore suntrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Feels alot hotter than the temperatures suggest...Galway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still mostly grey in the NW though a few hints of sunshine in the past couple of hours, not great but a huge improvement on the rest of the week at least, that now makes 4 days this summer where I could wear a t-shirt outdoors :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Scorching here in Kinnegad, occasional cloud to give a bit of relief from the heat. Taking a 10 minute break from the sun!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE showing the highest temps tomorrow getting up to 25C, ECM / HIRLAM up to 24C and AROME and ICON showing up to 22C

Best of the Temperatures in the Western half of the country, hopefully everyone will get some sunshine at some stage, could do quite well here in Kerry.

arpegeuk-41-28-0_qvz7.png

v70K3vP.png

PsYzZXy.png

m0DBqal.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pretty much sums up this summer so far..

Screenshot-2019-07-13-at-19-44-38.png

The sun briefly threatened to come out earlier but we were quickly back to slate grey skies. We'll try again tomorrow..

Advertisement