Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

compsys wrote: »
    Another fairly poor summer’s day in Dublin IMO.

Cloudy all day and temp only around 18c.

Once AGAIN Met E failed to forecast the extent of the cloud cover. Is it that difficult to do a day in advance?

My iPhone app has been way more predictable than Met E all summer regarding cloud cover.

For tomorrow it’s forecasting another fairly poor day with cloud cover until 3pm and temps struggling to breach 20 degrees.

Met E way more optimistic. Let’s see who’s right.

Cant see how they are "way more optimistic"
    Met Eireann forecast @ 1944 for tomorrow Tomorrow, Saturday will be dry with sunny spells developing but it will start cloudy or dull with a few spots of drizzle in the north and it will soon become dry with sunny spells developing there as well. Top temperatures of 17 to 22 degrees, coolest along the north coast in light to moderate northerly breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Cant see how they are "way more optimistic"
    Met Eireann forecast @ 1944 for tomorrow Tomorrow, Saturday will be dry with sunny spells developing but it will start cloudy or dull with a few spots of drizzle in the north and it will soon become dry with sunny spells developing there as well. Top temperatures of 17 to 22 degrees, coolest along the north coast in light to moderate northerly breezes.

It says it will start cloudy but dull in the North. It should really say for the whole country IMO if we’re not gonna see a peak of sun until halfway through the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Pretty uneventful again today with universal cloud in Dublin but what do I expect from Ireland and this crap summer.

My farmers/Irish tan would go against your reckoning that it's a crap summer. I've got far more sun this year as I can actually sit out/walk more in 18 to 23 degree temperatures than I could last year.

No drought and lovely green grass and grabbing the sun when it's there is perfect for me. Would up the temps a bit but can't complain really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tomorrow will be misty in the West and North early. Cloud breaking in the South and then drizzle fading in the Northwest and North but remaining cloudy here with just some brief sunshine. Highs 17c to 24c

There Im making up my own forecast since ME only changed theirs 4 times today. They cant even predict the present now as they are all on Summer holidays and computer is using a logarithm in Glasnevin. So be like me and make up your forecast for Saturday. What do you guys think? Just a short paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That was one of the coolest July days here so far with a high of only 18.4C and complete cloud cover all day. It was also quite breezy. I couldn't wear a tee-shirt out and had to wear long sleeves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think July is going grand so far, obviously nowhere nearly as good as last year and sunshine is a bit lacking, but last summer was an exception.

June this year was so bad, that average Irish summer time weather seems good in comparison and that's what we have right now. We are 13 days into the month and my location has reached 20C or more 5 times this month. June has already been well and truly beaten in terms of warmth and dryness. The next 3 days seem promising with more sunshine on offer and temperatures nudging into the low 20s. The highest temperature of the year so far here in south Meath is only 23C, which is low for what is the mid point of Summer.

I'd like to see 23C get beaten possibly Sunday. I'll be back in Spain from Tuesday so will not get to see how the rest of July unfolds, but I'm hoping we will have a few more warm spells later in the month. Fingers crossed for something decent in August, but right now the long range models are not looking too good for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    That was one of the coolest July days here so far with a high of only 18.4C and complete cloud cover all day. It was also quite breezy. I couldn't wear a tee-shirt out and had to wear long sleeves.

It was chilly alright but last Saturday was worse. We were at a wedding + miserable rain all day+ only 16 degrees. Such a shame for bride the whole week had been lovely + sure enough sun came back on Sunday.

I agree Gonzo that July is grand so far. It's an Irish summer so never going to be great but at least July has been pleasant + near 20 degrees most days in Dublin for past week. Once we don't have rain that's the main thing. Wall to wall sunshine is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was off up the lane around 5 am to clean the Church etc; mild and very still and very midgy.

A little better on the way back but very still and low cloud. Peaceful and quiet. Rather lovely!

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Another gloomy morning... Suppose to break up later but that didn't happen yesterday at any stage.

I see MT has downgraded from most of Leinster to some of Leinster seeing sunshine today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My farmers/Irish tan would go against your reckoning that it's a crap summer. I've got far more sun this year as I can actually sit out/walk more in 18 to 23 degree temperatures than I could last year.

No drought and lovely green grass and grabbing the sun when it's there is perfect for me. Would up the temps a bit but can't complain really!

What sun? There has been a huge lack of it here in Dublin..
    Why I rate this summer so low up to this point is not because of rain or low temperatures as I said but the lack of sunshine. The lack of sunshine has been rather notable in this part of Dublin since April (after an exceptionally sunny February and rather sunny March too) and stats from Dublin Airport do show this.

From May 1st to July 8th, Dublin Apt has had 349.0 hrs of sunshine (an average of 5.1 hrs per day) which doesn't sound too terrible (by Irish standards at least) but May had only 139.0 hrs which is well below the long-term average of around 192 hrs. Second half (16th-31st) was particularly poor with only 56.3 hrs. June had a total of 159.8 hrs which isn't exceptionally dull but still duller than average. This total was clearly masked by a relatively sunnier second half (100.2 hrs) though as the first half (1st-15th) had an atrocious total of 59.6 hrs.

Compare the same period (May 1st to July 8th) in previous years:

2018; 579.7 hrs (an average of 8.4 hrs of sun per day!)
    2017; 416.3 hrs
    2016; 393.0 hrs
    2015; 413.5 hrs
    2014; 396.5 hrs
    2013; 456.3 hrs
    2012; 355.2 hrs
    2011; 444.8 hrs
    2010; 488.3 hrs

So the respective period in 2019 has been the dullest in the past decade at Dublin Apt, even just about duller than 2012 and obviously a far cry from last year's (2018) exceptional frequency of sunny days.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Suns out in Arklow again
    Currently 16.5c in a NNW breeze of just 3 to 5kmh and given thats at the top of a 30ft pole here,its calm
    Shaping up to be another lovely summers day in this area
    I'd imagine the mostly Dublin families spending the summer in caravan parks from Arklow down through Ballymoney courtown and east wexford are happy again this year
    I've friends in the prospect park in Ballymoney and it can be like a little bit of France in the summer
    Great micro climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

People know what I think. I will say it hasn’t been a bad July so far. Not much sun but at at least it hasn’t been cold or very wet. It’s quite dull a lot of the time this morning being another example of this. I was off on Monday and Wednesday this week and both were overcast drizzly dull days. Yesterday was a decent day I honestly can’t remember Tuesday and Thursday was ok sunny spells and reasonably warm. Having said that I couldn’t cut the grass on Thursday evening because it was quite damp on top. Hopefully today will pick up and tomorrow will turn out as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Suns out in Arklow again
    Currently 16.5c in a NNW breeze of just 3 to 5kmh and given thats at the top of a 30ft pole here,its calm
    Shaping up to be another lovely summers day in this area
    I'd imagine the mostly Dublin families spending the summer in caravan parks from Arklow down through Ballymoney courtown and east wexford are happy again this year
    I've friends in the prospect park in Ballymoney and it can be like a little bit of France in the summer
    Great micro climate

The cloud cover hasn't cleared Wexford yet, hopefully that breeze will bring the clearance from up your direction.
    It's kind of unusual to have a NNW breeze down this way at this time of year. It's either a wet Westerly or coming from the East off the Irish Sea.

Another overcast morning here in Dublin. I wish there was less hype on expected good weather. It raises your hopes. I was thinking might get to the beach at weekend. No chance of that at moment. We will settle for park instead.

appledrop wrote: »
    Another overcast morning here in Dublin. I wish there was less hype on expected good weather. It raises your hopes. I was thinking might get to the beach at weekend. No chance of that at moment. We will settle for park instead.

There's hope of a clearance some stage after lunch but I'd not be surprised to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It seems to be a pattern in Dublin now . Dull start and clearing around lunch time
    I am ok with dry and a bit warmer than spring !!
    Having been in Vienna three years ago in 38/40 temps I will take this anyday . It was unbearable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What sun? There has been a huge lack of it here in Dublin..

I'm about 60km west of Dublin. Suppose it's about perception - I've a West facing sun trap garden and seem to have a had a good number of sunny evenings after work sitting out.

With getting some sun I've probably forgotten the crappy early part of the summer and any cloudy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautiful calm morning in West Clare, slight breeze now but it comes and goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark and grey in Letterkenny, a full 7 days now since I've even caught a glimpse of the sun!

Satellite not looking too promising but ME saying it'll be clear and cloudless by this evening, here's hoping.. (though the forecast last night did have one lingering cloud over Letterkenny :pac:)

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    It says it will start cloudy but dull in the North. It should really say for the whole country IMO if we’re not gonna see a peak of sun until halfway through the day.

Surprise surprise. It’s cloudy and dull in Dublin.

Met E were wrong. Again.

Why do they struggle to accurately forecast cloud cover even a day or two in advance? Genuine question.

I'm about 60km west of Dublin. Suppose it's about perception - I've a West facing sun trap garden and seem to have a had a good number of sunny evenings after work sitting out.

With getting some sun I've probably forgotten the crappy early part of the summer and any cloudy days.

There’s been a fair few evenings where the sun has come peaking through around 8pm giving a beautiful end to the day.

For a lot of people that would be too little too late though.

The app saying 2pm for a clearance. We'll wait and see.

Sun did peak though briefly there for a few minutes. Gone again though.

Other apps saying closer to six which would be disappointing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sunny spells and feeling warm here in Dunshaughlin. A big improvement over yesterday's completely dull conditions. Currently 16C, it might get to 20C later this afternoon if there are still sunny spells later on.

lawred2 wrote: »
    The app saying 2pm for a clearance. We'll wait and see.

Sun did peak though briefly there for a few minutes. Gone again though.

Other apps saying closer to six which would be disappointing.
    To be honest
    Met Éireann with direct access to their own brand new NwP (which is meant to be good on cloud cover) and with decades of experience can't get cloud cover right so what hope have apps?
    Automated apps are useless at those kind of specifics or useless in general with any kind of complication

Mortelaro wrote: »
    To be honest
    Met Éireann with direct access to their own brand new NwP (which is meant to be good on cloud cover) and with decades of experience can't get cloud cover right so what hope have apps?
    Automated apps are useless at those kind of specifics or useless in general with any kind of complication

The app I refer to is the Met Eireann app. I'm hoping that's the more 'accurate' one

The app I refer to is the Met Eireann app. I'm hoping that's the more 'accurate' one

Nope,it isn't unfortunately
    No human intervention
    It's also only using noon as its reference and one grid point not for your specific location but the nearest point of a named area
    The other apps you'd use would be totally useless for the exact specifics you're looking for as opposed to near useless in the case of met Éireanns app

It's definitely brightening up here anyway.. sun making itself known. Just needs to keep going. Cool breeze though.

So ultimately still crap. Need to emigrate.

It's definitely brightening up here anyway.. sun making itself known. Just needs to keep going. Cool breeze though.

So ultimately still crap. Need to emigrate.

No Visa needed for Wexford in Summer :D

• Advertisement

Turning out beautiful in Arklow again
    Current sky

Advertisement