Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So I go out to Dunnes this morning, and put a packet of crispy pancakes down the tweeds.

I am nabbed by security guards sauntering out the door like I own the place, and crispy pancakes confiscated, and I get a warning from Dunnes, and am banned from the store.

I didn't actually commit any crime because a judge didn't find me guilty of one?
    And in your scenario you were sanctioned for it as she will be. The civil case didn't proceed to its end so she too had her "crispy pancakes confiscated" and it's all done and dusted. Long-term that's her political career over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Court documents submitted by Bailey claim she could not run for 3 months, yet three weeks after her 'accident' she ran a 10km 40+ seconds outside her PB. That is a verifiable lie.I run on a regular basis and it is not credible to suggest she did not train during the 3 weeks between her 'accident' and race and yet she completed the run within seconds of her PB.

thats all great and all but she could just claim she misrembered. Now prove she didn't misremember and that she knew it was a lie. that is what you need to do to secure a conviction. Its a very high bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

So I go out to Dunnes this morning, and put a packet of crispy pancakes down the tweeds.

I am nabbed by security guards sauntering out the door like I own the place, and crispy pancakes confiscated, and I get a warning from Dunnes, and am banned from the store.

Even half wits know that Dunnes always prosecute shoplifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is_that_so wrote: »
    And in your scenario you were sanctioned for it as she will be. The civil case didn't proceed to its end so she too had her "crispy pancakes confiscated".

And in both cases the law was broken, Bailey by her own admission, should be held to a higher standard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm glad you put the word "should" in quotes.

If we had a jombotron sarcasm font it still would not be sufficient for the fast and loose manner affidavits are dealt with in Irish legal circles.

If I had my way, in insurance cases they would be eliminated from pleadings and 1st step in any case would be actual deposition of litigant's and their supporting medical professionals.

• Advertisement

And in both cases the law was broken, Bailey by her own admission, should be held to a higher standard though.
    Not to the point of prosecution. She should be and may well be soon enough. Removing her from the Committee chair as is rumoured will be her punishment.

So greater penalties should be put on inaccurate information on a sworn affidavit.

People should be advised that by declaring the information on an affidavit to be true that they can be prosecuted if it is found that it’s not. If someone needs a bit more time before signing that affidavit then take more time. Once you’ve signed it, that should be it.

Indeed, were the legal firms not so keen to push for ever bigger paydays some people could be headed off. How is Madigan complicit here? She doesn't work for them.

Madigan doesn't work for the firm now.
    It's patently obvious given that Madigan has already invoked privilege that she is/was the source of the original advice.
    Even moreso given the efforts to distance her from the furore.

The current speculation is that not only was Madigan present at the "accident" and as such a witness to it.
    But also that she is the font of legal wisdom from which the advice for the action sprang.

Now do you see any potential ethical issue with profiting professionally from an action that not only were you a witness to, but likely to be at very least questioned over?

Competent legal advice at that point, would have been to direct her friend to an alternative firm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

banie01 wrote: »

The Dean have done the State a huge service in defending this matter and in raising serious ethical questions regarding Madigan's behaviour which if my own hunch is right in this instance should lead to her sacking as her attempt to game the system is worse than Bailey's behaviour.

We know it was Bailey, but we don't know for sure whether it was Madigan.

We also don't know whether the latter cooperated with Leo's inquiry.

Until we know these things - and we may never know them if the Report isn't published - there will be a big dark cloud hanging over Josepha.

I'd normally give someone the benefit of the doubt, but I certainly wouldn't be voting for JM if I resided in her constituency.

We know it was Bailey, but we don't know for sure whether it was Madigan.

We also don't know whether the latter cooperated with Leo's inquiry.

Until we know these things - and we may never know them if the Report isn't published - there will be a big dark cloud hanging over Josepha.

I'd normally give someone the benefit of the doubt, but I certainly wouldn't be voting for JM if I resided in her constituency.

Madigan has already refused to answer any questions relating to Bailey and incident on the basis of Solicitor/Client privilege.

The strong inference from that is that she acted as a legal advisor in this situation.

If she had not, she could certainly have declared same without prejudice to any other existing instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

There's a long long list of people who should no longer be in the Dail by standards we set, yet we vote for them. TDs can't be sacked, they stay until they resign. As the article you linked to suggested they have two options for her at present. I'd guess deselection in a GE will happen too.

By sacked I mean losing the party whip/expulsion from the party.
    You are right, there is a list of people who should not be in the dail. But aren’t FG supposedly the party of new politics, setting a new standard in public office etc?
    Because to date, they're as bad as the previous lot (albeit slightly better at handling the economy- the only reason I vote FG).

So greater penalties should be put on inaccurate information on a sworn affidavit.

Oh they are advised of that.
    Unfortunately they are also advised not to worry as at the affidavit stage everything is still subject to revision and can be changed.

Which is completely at odds with what an affidavit is meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I don't really give a fiddlers weather she committed a crime or faces prosecution. What I do give a fiddlers about is the fact that she is a welcome member of the governing party.

Her along with Farrell, who did make it to court and produce false evidence, attempted to scam money wrongly from insurance companies which costs us all money.

Vradkar is willing to keep these reprehensible scumbags on his team, the same team that are making decisions on how our money is spent.

So we know for sure that Leo's team are the sort of people who will lie and cheat to enrich themselves so why would anyone believe that the same team would not be taking brown envelopes stuffed with cash and selling Joe taxpayer down the swanny with dodgy deals.

Charlie Haughey had more ethics than this crowd.

This is not going to be swept under the rug.

I don't really give a fiddlers weather she committed a crime or faces prosecution. What I do give a fiddlers about is the fact that she is a welcome member of the governing party.

Her along with Farrell, who did make it to court and produce false evidence, attempted to scam money wrongly from insurance companies which costs us all money.

Vradkar is willing to keep these reprehensible scumbags on his team, the same team that are making decisions on how our money is spent.

So we know for sure that Leo's team are the sort of people who will lie and cheat to enrich themselves so why would anyone believe that the same team would not be taking brown envelopes stuffed with cash and selling Joe taxpayer down the swanny with dodgy deals.

Last week of the Dail for the summer so it will have gone by September as there are more pressing things to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not to the point of prosecution. She should be and may well be soon enough. Removing her from the Committee chair as is rumoured will be her punishment.

Removing MB from the committee chair is not enough. In fact that would be getting off lightly. It's a resigning matter simply for not upholding the standards of public office and acting dishonestly. The same goes for anyone else implicated in the content of the report.

As poor as politicians are recently in the UK, if this happened across the water the MP would be gone within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Surely the longer they let this play out, the more damage they are doing to themselves?
    SF to leap frog FG in the next GE? :eek: :D

When this started, I would have been happy to be unhappy with what she did, and a public apology and some (any) sort of punishment even if she chose it herself.
    Then her interview with SOR. Her arrogance, lack of remorse and blaming everyone else just served to anger the public.
    No longer would a sanction or the removal of Bailey be sufficient. Now I don't think I will ever vote FG again with Farrell, Madigan, Bailey or Varadkar in that party. Varadkar to me has shown all the colours of a coward.

Maria Bailey can and should be dismissed for (at the very least) bringing the party into disrepute. There was a review conducted and it was found that she had no basis for making the original claim.

On top of that, I hope the Dean hotel get awarded every penny they are looking for, and I hope it is a lot.
    No doubt she would be hired as a secretary, or some other lucrative position when they want to apologise to her for having to punish her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote:
    so it will have gone by September as there are more pressing things to worry about.

With businesses closing and jobs being lost because of high insurance costs because of individuals like Bailey and Farrell, very doubtful although a few here have claimed it's only cranks on the internet that care about this. The wider media seems to have a greater interest. The Indo for whatever reason seems to be on the attack against FG. This case is a gift to them considering the topic is so current and hits everyone in the state. Sorry but wishful thinking on your behalf .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Last week of the Dail for the summer so it will have gone by September as there are more pressing things to worry about.

We've heard that bull around here before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It will yeah.

Silly season is almost upon us, and unfortunately for FG, Insurance claims dodgy ones included, and businesses closing down, not to mention Joe and Josephine publics ludicrous premiums needing renewals don't cease during the summer recess.

The media will keep regurgitating and regurgitating this [attempted] fraud committed by Bailey and others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very naive thinking and I think you know that. We all predicted Leo might try to stall his response until the Dail recess. We all know that will look like a cowardly fudge. The opposition will make hay on this until and during the uncoming general election.

Paddy likes to know the story. It's turning into a nightmare for FG now. Every time an insurance premium is paid, Paddy Voter will remember the fraud story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

lola85 wrote: »
    Except as Pearse Doherty has shown, fraudulent claims aren’t the reason for insurance companies increasing their premiums and it is been used as an excuse by the companies to get away with it all helped by people like yourself who can only see it as an excuse to get one up on FG.

Fraud claims aren’t the reason for big premiums, gouging insurance companies are with FBD making a 1300% profit last year.

But but yeah let’s just blame Maria Baileys we can stick it to Leo and let the insurance companies off.

do you have a source for that? and 1300% of what exactly? Or are you perhaps misremembering the headline that said their profits were 1300% higher than the previous year where they made little or nothing?

Very naive thinking and I think you know that. We all predicted Leo might try to stall his response until the Dail recess. We all know that will look like a cowardly fudge. The opposition will make hay on this until and during the upcoming general election.

Paddy likes to know the story. It's turning into a nightmare for FG now.
    That's how politics works. A week is a long time a summer an eternity! Upcoming election is probably next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Like your post, but this is over and done for a long time and Leo the snake in the grass is just letting this run out of steam and changing the goal post as he goes a long. Look what they have done for the cancer test woman and now going to fight against their claims,
    This is old news and shown on here that people will vote Leo the snake back into power and he will make Maria a minster in his next government.

So lads stop wasting your energy debating this over and over again and this is from someone anti FG and Leo and Harris are the new way of politics, not like Charlie’s day.

lola85 wrote: »
    Except as Pearse Doherty has shown, fraudulent claims aren’t the reason for insurance companies increasing their premiums and it is been used as an excuse by the companies to get away with it all helped by people like yourself who can only see it as an excuse to get one up on FG.

Fraud claims aren’t the reason for big premiums, gouging insurance companies are with FBD making a 1300% profit last year.

But but yeah let’s just blame Maria Baileys we can stick it to Leo and let the insurance companies off.

So you are essentially saying there are 2 wrongs here?

Do you admit that Maria made a fraudulent claim?

Fine Gael have long said they would reform the insurance industry.

BTW I voted for Fine Gael #1 since 1992!

Leo must be close to making a statement on this issue. The PR brigade are out in full. :D

She and hundreds like her are one of the reasons the insurance companies use. Maria ain't a victim and neither is Leo.

We've heard that bull around here before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.
    But most likely true. After all, Bojo is coming!

is_that_so wrote:
    That's how politics works. A week is a long time a summer an eternity! Upcoming election is probably next year.

Maria's story broke 8 weeks ago, still rumbling along. Election well before Christmas . FF on the rise thanks to FG.

Leo must be close to making a statement on this issue. The PR brigade are out in full. :D
    They haven't exactly said much about it TBF. Losing the Committee chair probably a given, whip maybe less so.

• Advertisement

Maria's story broke 8 weeks ago, still rumbling along. Election well before Christmas . FF on the rise thanks to FG.
    Not enough time with Brexit on 31st October. Politicians don't like winter campaigns nor do voters. Feb/Mar earliest I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement