Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why is it called IMHO too?

“In My Honest Opinion” - an acknowledgement that it is a discussion forum and that posters can share their honest views (so long as they don’t breach the charter).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

batgoat wrote: »
    Must say it's actually working out well.

I'm pleasantly surprised as well. Fair play to the admins for working to make it happen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm pleasantly surprised as well. Fair play to the admins for working to make it happen.
    Ditto. *fingers crossed*.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Define working well?

From what I can see, all that’s happening is that AH is being stripped of any decent threads that it started.

And why are Admins moving threads from Ah to CA? Surely AH mods should be doing this, or do you not trust them to do their job?

You’re killing the goose that laid the golden egg, if you wanted to close down AH you should have just done so. But I suppose then you wouldn’t have had your content for CA.

I can guarantee you that if you stopped moving threads from AH to CA, that CA would not survive on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I dont agree Dougal. There are fewer current topic threads, but plenty of light hearted ones left in AH, with very handsome participation. Participation in both forums seems high, imo.

Most of the AH mods are modding both fora, so there is no lack of trust that i can see.

Im glad its going well (from my perspective). Ah is fulfilling its purpose, as is CA.

Why would we stop moving current affair threads to CA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I can guarantee you that if you stopped moving threads from AH to CA, that CA would not survive on its own.
    Obviously. Do you not understand the point of the forum? It's to remove the more serious threads out of AH, of course we'd be doing that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Define working well?

From what I can see, all that’s happening is that AH is being stripped of any decent threads that it started.

And why are Admins moving threads from Ah to CA? Surely AH mods should be doing this, or do you not trust them to do their job?

You’re killing the goose that laid the golden egg, if you wanted to close down AH you should have just done so. But I suppose then you wouldn’t have had your content for CA.

Less serious threads stay in After Hours and it doesn't get polluted... Straight forward to find the new forum for after hours users. New forum functioning as expected. So pretty well tbh.

Baggly wrote: »
    I dont agree Dougal. There are fewer current topic threads, but plenty of light hearted ones left in AH, with very handsome participation. Participation in both forums seems high, imo.

Most of the AH mods are modding both fora, so there is no lack of trust that i can see.

Im glad its going well (from my perspective). Ah is fulfilling its purpose, as is CA.

Why would we stop moving current affair threads to CA?

It seems to me that AHs only purpose now is to generate threads for CA.

At the rate it’s going the light hearted threads that will be left will be toilet threads, and chit-chat/circle jerk threads.
    Obviously. Do you not understand the point of the forum? It's to remove the more serious threads out of AH, of course we'd be doing that :D

So what happens when the regulars in AH stop posting in AH, what will you be left with then? How will CA survive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mike is in a different time zone so he does it late at night when the place is quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

At the rate it’s going the light hearted threads that will be left will be toilet threads, and chit-chat/circle jerk threads.

Well the idea would be that people will start posting the serious threads in CA, rather than in AH ( & therefore they wont need to be moved).

I dont agree re: the light hearted threads that will remain, nor how you characterise them. I think there are a lot of people who enjoy and use them; and i think more will come. If they arent for you, thats fine, but you can always start some other lighthearted threads that you think arent toilet threads / chit chat threads, if you so wish! Not every thread made in AH is going to be moved. Just the ones with serious chat in them.

I dont believe they (posters in non-serious threads in AH) werent being well served mixed in with serious topics, as we previously had in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Define working well?

Trying to decide how to break your post down to manageable chunks, TBH

Respectfully, that's a pretty dickish comment to make without any substantiation whatsoever.

Before we first discussed the possibility of Current Affairs/IMHO in the admin forum, it was suggested that we (admin) might lend the AH mods a hand as they were being inundated with more reported posts than they could reasonably be expected to handle. With the advent of the CA forum, that idea evolved to admin being part of the CA mod team instead, as the threads that created the most issues were likely to be moved there.

There's no issue of trust with the AH mod team. Rather than just move threads as we feel like it, any of us can suggest a thread in the mods forum, and we discuss the merits of moving it or leaving it be to lesser or greater degrees. I tend to be the one who moves the threads due to time zone differences (I live in Myanmar), so I move them when AH is quiet, and I try to stagger the moves so that AH isn't clogged up with sticky threads. There have been one or two exceptions, where I've spotted a new topical thread in AH that is a certain fit for CA, and I moved it immediately, before the troll-y posts start flooding in. So in fact, we're actively trying to keep topical threads open, rather than shut them down due to them being flooded with troll-y comments.

Coincidentally, we took a look at the stats for AH today, and there's no discernible difference in the traffic there before and after the move - in fact, the traffic in AH was higher this week. And I don't agree that CA won't survive on its own - I believe that over time, people will naturally start posting topical threads directly there, as they become accustomed to the forum and what's permitted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So what happens when the regulars in AH stop posting in AH, what will you be left with then? How will CA survive?
    The best threads in AH have never been particularly topical, so we'll be left with those. I'm ok with that.

Fair enough, lads. Sure we’ll see how it goes. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well I for one am enjoying it so far :)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Fair enough, lads. Sure we’ll see how it goes. :)

Cheers.

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that we're now beginning to get reported posts from posters, suggesting that certain threads would be a good fit for CA, which tells me that a percentage of posters at least are enjoying the CA forum and the level of moderation associated with it. So if there are threads that you or other posters feel are suited to CA, the reported posts are welcome - we'll certainly consider the thread on its merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

lol Not sure why you're surprised tbh. After Hours has just been cut and pasted :P

AH was Boards' current affairs forum (the busiest on Boards) and so why wouldn't the new current affairs forum 'work' when all you're essentially doing is creating a traffic diversion: Current Affairs this way please >>
    The best threads in AH have never been particularly topical, so we'll be left with those. I'm ok with that.

Never? Ah come on. As I said many years ago:
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    AH is a froum where current affairs are it's life blood.

Making the Current Affairs forum work was/is never going to be a problem, it's keeping After Hours working that'll be the issue, given that its life blood) now has a forum of its own. The Current Affairs forum will look after itself (traffic wise) given the userbase now has no option but to use the new forum when they wish to discuss current affairs, but they now must do so in a different tone than was permitted in AH.

Last year I said:
    So, let After Hours rest in peace and just rename this forum 'Current Affairs' as to continue to call it After Hours is to do so in just name only, as the ethos and spirit of the forum that once was, has long since passed.

So, it hasn't been renamed, more gutted of its life blood. The new forum will thrive, naturally, but the old forum will now die, or at the very least become a sad reflection of what it once was. I think that's obvious.

I mean, joking about and having pub type humour on current affair topic threads is now a thing of the past (apparently) and that was the guts of what After Hours was about. Sure, not all threads were current affairs (and time moves on - we'd probably all get arrested for the advice we gave Feeky Magee for a start) but largely they were all threads which the current affair forum will now cater to, and the ones that weren't (like the Feeky thread), only did as well as they did because they were on a forum with a high volume of traffic, lets not kid ourselves.

Can After Hours survive without current affairs? I doubt it. What happens when someone starts a lighthearted thread there about some politician and the discussion turns serious? Will that thread be moved? Even if the OP wanted a lighthearted pub type chat about it? Seems to me threads like a TD suing over falling off a swing is the kinda thing people would be talking about down the pub and so should have a home in AH. No way you can keep lighthearted jokes out of a thread like that and so my prediction is that the current affairs forum will largely just turn into After Hours over time and After Hours itself will die (traffic wise at least).

Seems to me someone just stuck a new sign above the door is all that's happened and many people that didn't like the 'Where are you now/What are you eating' type threads will be delighted as the "Current Affairs" forum is now (or at least shortly will be) the After Hours many wanted it to be.

After Hours is dead. Long live After Hours 'the Current Affairs' forum.

wink.gif

I'll be interested to see how this develops. I previously asked mods to ban me from AH as I felt it was angering me to read and write. Same reason I stay away from twitter. Too much vitriol for my soft soul with the likes of outlaw_pete above constantly flinging ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

... it was angering me to read and write. Too much vitriol for my soft soul with [users] constantly flinging ****.

Hey I agree with you, it undoubtedly had become a little too much over the last few years but, like I said last week, there were reasons for why it had become that way and, in my view, inconsistent (and oftentimes biased) moderation was in no small part responsible for it.

A userbase will only behave in ways they are being let behave in, and are being given the impression is okay to behave in, and that'll be inferred by what mods are and are not actioning.

There have been multiple examples of AH moderators flaunting the rules of the charter over the last few years (attacking users rather than their posts for example) and that just sends entirely the wrong message. In my opinion, moderators should set by example. They can hardly be surprised when users are uncivil to other members when they themselves are. Don't act like a dick they say, well, you first. One post last year an AH mod told a user to go out and buy a primary school book if he needed further explanation. Come on now like.

All I can say is I hope CA is going to be more consistently and fairly moderated. Where users on both/all sides of the political divide are subject to the rules of the charter and not just one. For far too long users with a liberal point of view have been given carte blanche to do and say what they like while those who disagree with them are actioned for daring to give their opposing views. This has resulted in one side being able to use the report button as a tool of debate and while not all mods are as easily swayed by volume of reports equaling a user needing to be actioned, some undoubtedly are. Hell, some even cite it.

So it's all well and good apportioning blame to the userbase for AH becoming something of a free for all, but if there isn't some inward reflection with regards to what role moderators played in it all, especially around the area of inconsistent moderation, well then I think the CA forum will very likely have many of the issues that AH did. Not to go all Jerry Springer, but treat users fairly and respectfully and they'll behave that way in kind, to mods as well as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I'll be interested to see how this develops. I previously asked mods to ban me from AH as I felt it was angering me to read and write. Same reason I stay away from twitter. Too much vitriol for my soft soul with the likes of outlaw_pete above constantly flinging ****.

I suggest you stay clear of the thread on the father and daughter who drowned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

So that’s what AH is producing then. So be it.

We’ll be posting here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just giving a +1 here myself. I was sceptical but think it's been done well. The subject matter gone into CA is spot on. I requested one to be moved across with the feedback that it was a better fit and it went straight over. I think the moderators have been very good on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have to agree. It’s like AH has been given a new lease of life. You can really feel the change in atmosphere, it’s less oppressive or something. Some craic in there the last few days. Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I have to agree. It’s like AH has been given a new lease of life. You can really feel the change in atmosphere, it’s less oppressive or something. Some craic in there the last few days. Long may it continue!

+1
    It can’t be a coincidence, some great fun threads over the last few days and I’d normally be sticking to the 'safe' trivial 'chat' threads.

Can we have the Current Affairs forum follow a stricter thread title system ala Politics?
    Current affairs by their nature change and evolve. Or threads go way off topic.

I think it would be better to have mods looking at them actively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can we have the Current Affairs forum follow a stricter thread title system ala Politics?
    Current affairs by their nature change and evolve. Or threads go way off topic.

I think it would be better to have mods looking at them actively.

Can you explain this to an idiot please. I have never posted in politics except when moving a thread over there.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Can you explain this to an idiot please. I have never posted in politics except when moving a thread over there.

Politics:
    Brexit Discussion
    Donald Trump Presidency Discussion

Current Affairs:
    Iran did it, says Trump

The problem being that that last one is talking about the ships and mines thing, but since then, a drone has been shot out of the sky. A more apt title would be US-Iran Discussion or something.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Have discussed this with some of the Modding and Admin team and there is agreement that thread titles often provide a sense of ownership and can set the tone of the thread. We have also seen title edits be used in Feedback as a basis for accusations of bias. As it stands, we see no reason to edit titles aside from certain exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What's the story with mods and admins coming into threads and editing them, removing quoted text, removing pics, YouTube videos etc?

What's so precious with the current affairs forum, as generally there's never an issue in quoting the above in after hours for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot of forums have warnings about the quoting of pictures etc.

I added a note to the forum charter about this recently. There are several reasons for this. One is to try to ease the load on the hamsters and the second is to stop a thread from filling up with repetition of the same material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dudara wrote: »
    A lot of forums have warnings about the quoting of pictures etc.

I added a note to the forum charter about this recently. There are several reasons for this. One is to try to ease the load on the hamsters and the second is to stop a thread from filling up with repetition of the same material.

I know that's the official line, but I don't get why it's being so rigorously enforced in the new forum, considering its an evolvement of AH as sorts, where there's seemingly no problems in there.

I see the ability to embed pictures has been removed recently too, but why in this forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement