Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The forum seems to now be getting dumps of links that target LGBTQ people... Seems to be quickly become a place for the worst of posters to rant in the worst possible way rather than actually discuss anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As the one who originally asked for this forum (awaits the abuse :pac:) I have a couple of thoughts:

There is a problem where a new poster appears & raises issues that have already been covered. This cause a huge amount of repetition because they haven't read the thread.

I think that embedded videos should be banned. Links are fine but, for example, the Greyhound thread has the same videos being posted over & over again & quoted.

By the way I predict lots of animal/dog threads. The rules & moderation in API will make people post in CA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

batgoat wrote: »
    The forum seems to now be getting dumps of links that target LGBTQ people... Seems to be quickly become a place for the worst of posters to rant in the worst possible way rather than actually discuss anything.

There's literally two active threads on the topic out of about 21 threads on the front page. The irony here is that it's you who would rather these topics weren't discussed, unless of course it's discussed on your own terms.

Discodog wrote: »
    As the one who originally asked for this forum (awaits the abuse :pac:) I have a couple of thoughts:

There is a problem where a new poster appears & raises issues that have already been covered. This cause a huge amount of repetition because they haven't read the thread.

I think that embedded videos should be banned. Links are fine but, for example, the Greyhound thread has the same videos being posted over & over again & quoted.

By the way I predict lots of animal/dog threads. The rules & moderation in API will make people post in CA

Embedded videos being banned would be great, also some discussions simply aren't discussions. It's users laughing at "Libtards", it's just not conducive to the forum working if standards drop to that level. Also simply dropping a link without comment as a way of starting a thread should be off limits, the user expresses no opinion so what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, 'argument by multiple youtube video dump' isn't very attractive.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, 'argument by multiple youtube video dump' isn't very attractive.

On the Greyhound thread the same user has posted the same video several times & even joked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Embedded videos bring banned would be great,

Not necessarily banning videos is the way to go a simple do not re quote videos stickied on each thread ,
    They do something similar in the car forums with photos

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some discussions simply aren't discussions. It's users laughing at "Libtards", it's just not conducive to the forum working if standards drop to that level.

That goes the other way as well if we're being honest. A couple of posters do it but say ''the alt-right right'' or ''conservatives''.
    Also simply dropping a link without comment as a way of starting a thread should be off limits, the user expresses no opinion so what's the point?

Absolutely agree 110%. It's weak and it's certainly not a higher level of posting, as was envisioned for the new forum when compared with After Hours.

Gatling wrote: »
    Not necessarily banning videos is the way to go a simple do not re quote videos stickied on each thread ,
    They do something similar in the car forums with photos

And requiring a poster to actually post some points alongside the video. At moment there are posters who more often than not, post a video with an inane remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And requiring a poster to actually post some points alongside the video. At moment there are posters who more often than not, post a video with an inane remark.

Seen something similar where a poster opened several threads (not here ) with social media news dumps but zero discussion or other contributions .
    I'd like a minimum post count to access CA too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Youtube clip without a summary of the pertinent points in it should be a no-no. 2 or more videos in the one post should be out full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thing is if a video etc is not relevant or off topic it's just a case of bringing this up. No big issue tbh.

Tbh most stuff Ive seen posted in this forum usually comes with commentary. I reckon a bigger issue with CA / IMHO is going to be the rise of soapboxing and similar from a small number of perennial diehards. Especially where there is an axe to grind or where it is not permitted to post certain kinds of stuff in other forums etc. Just my 2 cents though.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Youtube clip without a summary of the pertinent points in it should be a no-no. 2 or more videos in the one post should be out full stop.

So not this then :pac: ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110804725&postcount=2023

I can't see why posters have to embed. That posts takes up a lot of space on my widescreen monitor. Then people quote & include the video as if people haven't already seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't envy the mods in CA as it's becoming a cess pit. I really think the level of debate is stifling any real discussion. For instance in relation to any points made this is the response:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://youtu.be/GOV8NlSFK0c

Post reported by the way. There's many like that.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't envy the mods in CA as it's becoming a cess pit. I really think the level of debate is stifling any real discussion. For instance in relation to any points made this is the response:

That particular user has done it numerous times in spite of mod warnings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So not this then :pac: ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110804725&postcount=2023

I can't see why posters have to embed. That posts takes up a lot of space on my widescreen monitor. Then people quote & include the video as if people haven't already seen it.
    Ugh how petty.

I think this approach is too anal. We should try to just not let little things bother us and be personable.

I think one dog thread /animal thread is enough imo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post

I think its going swimmingly for the most part in most threads people are getting along fine.

With the odd exception the removal of such issues from AH is making people take things less personally.

And Ah is much more fun now

I think its going swimmingly for the most part in most threads people are getting along fine.

With the odd exception the removal of such issues from AH is making people take things less personally.

And Ah is much more fun now :)

It's definitely a good forum and I think the split gives each forum more character.

It's definitely a good forum and I think the split gives each forum more character.
    Agreed. :)

Brilliant idea! And it was discodog who requested it! Well done!

Well done Discodog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You're hardly in a position to be calling out other users for stifling real discussion now tbf given that you yourself have made posts like this one which are clearly designed to rile those on the thread who disagree with you. Insulting users doesn't equate to real discussion anymore than the post which you highlighted does.

Personally I think the forum is doing just fine. There's always going to be teething issues but they're are likely to be worked out. I just hope there's not a huge overcorrection in an effort to appease the squeaky wheels, as we already have the likes of the politics forum where users can go if frank exchanges of views are not for them or they have YTCP*.

*YouTube Clip Phobia

If I had to be nitpicky though I would say that I thought mods could do more to try and keep threads on topic as threads become a chore to read when for 40-50 consecutive posts the discussion has had nothing remotely to do with anything in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It was the perfect reply to your asinine post.
    You see the problem is Muffin what you guys call real news isn't verified. It's like you making a point based on something your wife told you. The rest of the news outlets to some degree verify their news. Also some of you guys obsessed with American politics (I actually work there) are conspiracy theorists and claim everyone is out to get you including the media.

And that wasn’t the first time you attacked me and my wife.
    And yours was also reported but surprise surprise. 0 has been done about it
    Ask your wife Muffin you seem to be basing everything on conversations you've had with her.

You seem to have a fixation with my wife…

mad muffin wrote: »
    It was the perfect reply to your asinine post.

And that wasn’t the first time you attacked me and my wife.
    And yours was also reported but surprise surprise. 0 has been done about it

You seem to have a fixation with my wife…

Well actually Muffin it's not an attack, but an observation. You bring your wife into several posts regarding opinion.

You're hardly in a position to be calling out other users for stifling real discussion now tbf given that you yourself have made posts like this one which are clearly designed to rile those on the thread who disagree with you. Insulting users doesn't equate to real discussion anymore than the post which you highlighted does.

Personally I think the forum is doing just fine. There's always going to be teething issues but they're are likely to be worked out. I just hope there's not a huge overcorrection in an effort to appease the squeaky wheels, as we already have the likes of the politics forum where users can go if frank exchanges of views are not for them or they have YTCP*.

*YouTube Clip Phobia

If I had to be nitpicky though I would say that I thought mods could do more to try and keep threads on topic as threads become a chore to read when for 40-50 consecutive posts the discussion has had nothing remotely to do with anything in the OP.

I'm afraid that's the truth Pete. We even have to leave out things like climate change from grant applications. It's well publicised.

Well actually Muffin it's not an attack, but an observation. You bring your wife into several posts regarding opinion.

Actually I used 1 conversation to refute a racism argument. Since then you feel the need to bring her up in a deriding manner.
    Ask your wife Muffin you seem to be basing everything on conversations you've had with her.

And I will reply with all the dignity post like that deserves.

And of course my post will be deleted and I will receive a warning because you don’t like my reply.

Actually I used 1 conversation to refute a racism argument. Since then you feel the need to bring her up in a deriding manner.

But it's a fair observation no? You responded to a serious point I made with a conversation with your wife. You bring up your wife in posts I don't see how you can complain when others call out her relevance to the thread.

And of course my post will be deleted and I will receive a warning because you don’t like my reply.

I think there's less of a need to feel like a victim here. I'm just looking for a robust discussion. I will take on board your feelings about this about be more careful with what I mention.

But it's a fair observation no? You responded to a serious point I made with a conversation with your wife. You bring up your wife in posts I don't see how you can complain when others call out her relevance to the thread.
    I think there's less of a need to feel like a victim here. I'm just looking for a robust discussion. I will take on board your feelings about this about be more careful with what I mention.

c18ecb768453378f9ed0688950190855.jpg

c18ecb768453378f9ed0688950190855.jpg

Indeed I agree.

You posted this in response to a poster:
    You need to seek immediate professional help

Edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110792080&postcount=822

• Advertisement

Indeed I agree.

You posted this in response to a poster:

Edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110792080&postcount=822

I have no iron in this fire but firstly it's wrong to pull out a single past post with no context. Secondly the comment was followed with a ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement