Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The racial agenda in advertising...

Options
  • 06-07-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

For a while I thought I was imagining things, and that advertisers were simply trying to be inclusive, but today I saw this:
    C_WK27-THUR-CS-COL1A-2_20190711_IE.jpg?o=6amyph8QDVDHg5y7IGwXsGQU494j&V=SVQw&p=2&w=450&h=250&q=90
    This one didn't even include a white boy for the sake of subtlety.

It's from Aldi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It’s Saturday evening. Go enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The pub's open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Is this another thread about how white men are the most oppressed people in the history of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m outraged, I think. Wait, what was the question again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I for one am outraged.

Back to school on 11 July, they've barely got their summer holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

As a parent from Greystones i'm outraged at the gender bias on display in this advert. My Johnny wants to wear a skirt.

How insensitive by Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Real travesty here is advertising school uniforms a week after kids finish for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Back to school is now like the January Easter eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

No Maori or trans kids either. Definitely pushing an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Imagine getting your knickers in a knot about the presence of a black child in an advert. Gemma O'Doherty levels of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As a parent from Greystones i'm outraged at the gender bias on display in this advert. My Johnny wants to wear a skirt.

How insensitive by Aldi!

I’ve had a look again and I think the child on the left wearing a pinafore is actually a boy so your Johnny is good to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Only €3.49 for two shirts, and a jumper for a Euro. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

The white boys will have to go to school in their jocks......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

They even have a ginger kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If it's any help to the OP. They are two white boys in school uniforms on page eight of the catalogue!

One definite thing that I do notice regarding race in advertising is that any black woman will often be quite light toned or mixed race, often with a big head if curly hair. Watch out for it and you'll see how common it is, especially in ads from the UK. I think there's a "safe" face of blackness that advertisers like to use: black, but not too black.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

boombang wrote: »
    No Maori or trans kids either. Definitely pushing an agenda.

Too busy dumping their rubbish on Traveller sites

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

boombang wrote: »
    One definite thing that I do notice regarding race in advertising is that any black woman will often be quite light toned or mixed race, often with a big head if curly hair. Watch out for it and you'll see how common it is, especially in ads from the UK. I think there's a "safe" face of blackness that advertisers like to use: black, but not too black.

Reminds me of something I read after watching the NWA film Straight Outta Compton.

A casting call for extras for Straight Outta Compton was released on the Sande Alessi Casting Facebook page. The casting call was looking for African-American girls for the film using an A-D ranking scale. Though the "A girls" category was looking for "classy" women of all colors, the "B through D" categories were very explicitly linked with skin-tone. As the women get less attractive, the casting call wants the women's flesh tone to be darker, with the lowest listing calling for "African American girls. Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone." The casting call post went viral as people expressed their outrage of what they call colorism, sexism, and racism in the categorizing of black women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Is this another thread about how white men are the most oppressed people in the history of the world?

No, they've now been replaced by white boys.

Smashed Up wrote: »
    I'm noticing a lot of very dark, ultra skinny, short hairded black women in advertising.

Is that in fashion advertising?

The products I'm thinking about are tame sorts of products such as sofas, food and services like insurance and holidays. Fashion may be more daring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think each cultural and racial demographic should be represented in advertising relative to their representation in the population as a whole. fair is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not enough black or too much black. No one is ever happy.
    The problem is you for even noticing this, I just see 4 kids. I couldn't care if it was 4 black kids or 4 white kids

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rob316 wrote: »
    The problem is you for even noticing this, I just see 4 kids. I couldn't care if it was 4 black kids or 4 white kids
    the same cant be said for those making the ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

rob316 wrote: »
    Not enough black or too much black. No one is ever happy.

Lots of people notice it, whether they care about it or not.

If you don't notice it, it's not because you're impartial, it's because you're not very perceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Lots of people notice it, whether they care about it or not.

If you don't notice it, it's not because you're impartial, it's because you're not very perceptive.

Or have a bad memory !
    There were no black kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I notice a red haired kid is front and centre...

Ginger supremicists

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

i think each cultural and racial demographic should be represented in advertising relative to their representation in the population as a whole. fair is fair.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

fake thread is fake

Advertisement