Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd have been more surprised if there was none; the trick now will be to maintain the perfect balance of character, emotion and action that first film managed. That it wasn't just a good thrill-ride, but also a really grounded, relatable story that managed to be more Spider-Man than the MCU Spider-Man was in its own right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Mr E wrote: »
    Into the Spiderverse is on Netflix tomorrow I think.
    Looking forward to watching it again.
    Two words:
    Boo
    Yah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Mr E wrote: »
    Into the Spiderverse is on Netflix tomorrow I think.
    Looking forward to watching it again.

I hope I'm wrong but I think that's just America :(

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

I hope you're right! I just forked out £30 for the 4K!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No sign today anyway... balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Netflix UK & Ire had a video out of releases for June and July and it didnt feature, so i was doubtful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Personally I hate the cynical introduction of the 'multiverse' in this movie.

The joys - we'll be on our old age death beds and there will still be 3 Marvel movies per year coming out and they can keep going back to the well over and over again as much as they like because of the "multiverse"

The studio cynicism takes the gloss off it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Personally i don't see how it's cynical introducing the multiverse, 23 films deep into the franchise. But that's the beauty of opinions I suppose.

And I don't get this whinging about 3 Marvel films a year, it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head, demanding you go see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

I don't get that. Multiverses were an inevitability as the franchise got older IMO. Not to mention if it means the possibility of weirder more original stories that don't necessarily take place in the main MCU narrative then that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've purposely avoided spoilers but even based purely on the trailers, people have speculated that the multiverse might not be real. This is Mysterio after all, master of illusion etc...

• Advertisement

Fury says 'everything you are about to see is real' in the trailer, just before Peter meets mysterio.

None of it is real. That's not fury.

Haven't dived into the rest of the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Peter-Tingle!

This movie is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Advance preview?

I keep thinking it's a week away, but tomorrow's actually the 1st of July :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Haven't dived into the rest of the soundtrack.

I actually just saw Michael Giacchino two weeks ago at the National Concert Hall and he debuted the new Far From Home suite which was a very welcome surprise for the audience! It's a great score.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I know they're not spoilers as such but still I prefer listening to the music cues in the movie first before seeking them out.

That was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Saw it in 3D IMAX. Worth the big screen! Can probably live without the 3D.

Very enjoyable. Felt like both a Spider-Man film and a MCU film.
    Good contributions to both.
    Decent baddie.
    Thought they handled the mixes of age groups very well.

It had good action and lots of fun. Jake Gyllenhaal did well as Mysterio. The
    scenes in the illusions fighting Spider-Man were cool. That train was a bit of a shock. Then Peter overcoming it in the end was good.

Definitely stay for the Mid Credits
    Peter Parker!
    :eek: Also:
    J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson!!
    :)
    Then the End Credits!
    Ben Mendelsohn back!
    :)
    Nick Fury in Space!
    Somethings going on!

I burst out laughing at
    the start
    when they
    played Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
    . Link to that if you need it: :)Link to youtube

Right
    So I couldnt have been more bang on about Mysterio or Fury. Hate to say i told ya so..... (but im rarely right about pre-movie predictions so i shall savour this one)

Movie was grand. Missing some of the charm of the first one. Felt a bit rushed rather than fast paced. Spiderman felt kind of useless in it as well, for most of the movie. Maybe that was intentional.

Loved the mysterio spiderman fishbowl scene.

Love the MJ / Peter interactions.

Mid credits and post credits scenes worth sticking around for.

Overall, 3.5 webs out of 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved it! I was very skeptical but only because Spidey is my fave comic character and spiderman 3 has me nervous for any film that has come out since.

Highly exceeded my expectations and felt like the film came straight out of a comic, classic Spiderman story, characters, comedy, love story, action scenes etc.

The mid credits scene might be my favourite of the whole mcu, had me grinning like an eejit.

2nd half much better than the first half and I CANNOT WAIT for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Huge Spider-Man fan, thoroughly enjoyed that! Wonderful wonderful!

The mid credit scene.. WHAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed. Not sure if I like it as much as Homecoming but it's very enjoyable. I wish they'd found a better way to incorporate Spider-Man into the first few action scenes but I loved all the stuff with Peter and his classmates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I enjoyed it. Not too heavy which makes a welcome break from endgame.

Couple of things though :
    Did they just both invent and un-invent the multiverse inth eone film ? they'll realistically have to re-invent it unless they are going to do something really clever with the X-men / Fantastic 4

I didnt really like the use of the
    Skrulls
    . I thought that was just pure comedy. Also with
    the Skrulls as "good guys"
    have they screwed themselves for
    Secret Invasion
    ?
    JJ Jameson
    though. I had no idea and it made me squeel with delight. Loved this.

Not too sure about the revelation of
    Peter's identity
    though. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I think (hope) that when they announce phase 4 (D23 I presume) a lot of things will become clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

That jumped straight into my Top 3 Marvel movies, amazing :)

horgan_p wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. Not too heavy which makes a welcome break from endgame.

Couple of things though :
    Did they just both invent and un-invent the multiverse inth eone film ? they'll realistically have to re-invent it unless they are going to do something really clever with the X-men / Fantastic 4

I didnt really like the use of the
    Skrulls
    . I thought that was just pure comedy. Also with
    the Skrulls as "good guys"
    have they screwed themselves for
    Secret Invasion
    ?
    JJ Jameson
    though. I had no idea and it made me squeel with delight. Loved this.

Not too sure about the revelation of
    Peter's identity
    though. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I think (hope) that when they announce phase 4 (D23 I presume) a lot of things will become clearer.
    Multiverse was a red herring, i think. Dont think they were gonna go down that route anyway. They like to keep the science of the MCU fairly straightforward and accessable. Multiverse is inherently complicated as a concept. They could do a house of M with SW, or with the reality stone to get Xmen / FF in, i think

The skrulls we have seen are good guys. Not to say every Skrull out there is. Same as there are heroes and villains on Earth, i think there will be good and bad Skrulls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Enjoyed it but not as much as Homecoming. There was something just a little off about it that I struggle to put my finger on... possibly the pacing or editing, but also the humour. It wasn't used as well in this as in Homecoming, and it fell into the GOTG2 trap at times, undercutting moments of drama with the humour. The supporting cast of school kids were short changed in this as well - Ned in particular serving as little more than over the top comedic sidekick; he served this role in the first one too, but also brought more real teenage struggles in that film, and reacted far more believably to extreme danger than he did in this. Indeed I think that's a recurring problem in this; the way Aunt May and co react to Peter continually risking his life strains credulity.

Fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one reviewer said, great characters, great interaction, villain pretty good but that the film was boring , unnecessary humor?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Really enjoyed the flick TBH. Felt better than Homecoming IMO. I really felt Peter taking small steps into being more of an adult but not giant leaps into full blown "being a grown up" which was a tricky balancing act.

Two issues stood out to me though -
    The drones looked nothing like Stark Tech so I found it very difficult to believe he was the source of the movies "McGuffin" as it were.

Also, there were promises of how they'll address the 5 year time gap - in reality they simply mentioned it twice but that was it. They even went as far as downplaying it to a "blip"? Felt tonally weird considering we opened End Game with a full blown support group full of broken people crying recanting stories during dinner dates and desperate to reach out to others... now everyone's back it's all forgotten and even just called a "blip"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm really glad how the
    multiverse
    and
    blip
    was handled.
    Multiverse would have been so messy and there's no need for them to go down the blip rabbit hole, better to gloss over it and carry on.

Advertisement