Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATE MY TEAM 19/20

Options
  • 02-07-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Anyone finding picking a team difficult. Anyhoo post away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

As always on this thread we’d ask of people that are posting their teams that they offer some reasons why they chose some of the players and also offer advice to others.

If you are getting help on your team then it’s only fair others are helped by you in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Ederson, (Button)
    Robertson, Alexander Arnold, Laporte, Digne, (van Aanholt)
    Sigurdsson, Salah, Townsend, (Hojbjerg), (Dendoncker)
    Vardy, King, Deulofeu

Ederson as stick keeper with Button selected as cheap fodder to sit on bench.
    Robertson and Alexander Arnold and Laporte for clean sheets and the odd attacking return.
    Digne and van Aanholt for the odd attacking return and the odd clean sheet.
    Sigurdsson, Salah and Townsend for goals and assists with Hojbjerg and Dendoncker to hopefully keep their team places and chip in off the bench when required.
    Vardy, King and Deulofeu to hopefully get a good return of goals.

Still likely to change a bit when the pre-season games are played and would like to get in a cheap defender to allow some upgrade elsewhere. Any good advice on possible improvements appreciated. Is Enda Stevens this seasons Matt Doherty?

macraignil wrote: »
    Ederson, (Button)
    Vardy, King, Deulofeu

Robertson and Alexander Arnold and Laporte for clean sheets and the odd attacking return.
    Sigurdsson, Salah and Townsend for goals and assists with Hojbjerg and Dendoncker to hopefully keep their team places and chip in off the bench when required.

Still likely to change a bit when the pre-season games are played and would like to get in a cheap defender to allow some upgrade elsewhere. Any good advice on possible improvements appreciated. Is Enda Stevens this seasons Matt Doherty?

Too much spent in defence imo. Downgrade PVA to a 4m defender and then upgrade Hojbjerg.

Doherty started at 4.5 last season but Stevens is priced at 5m from the off so it’s a no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Ederson, (Button)
    Vardy, King, Deulofeu

42 million in defence
    36 million in midfield
    22 million in forwards

I would be cutting my defense bill imo

I’d also downgrade Ederson to someone like Gunn since you have Laporte in there already.

• Advertisement

Too much spent in defence imo. Downgrade PVA to a 4m defender and then upgrade Hojbjerg.

Doherty started at 4.5 last season but Stevens is priced at 5m from the off so it’s a no for me.

Thanks for your input on the team.

Looks to me like all the 4m defenders are not likely to play and I like the idea of being able to play 5 at the back if the fixtures suit but I can see where you are going with that. I would be very slow to deliberately select a player who is not playing. Still got to find this seasons Wan Bissaka to get the solid defense at an affordable price but hopefully there is still time for that. Replaced Doherty with Wan Bissaka on early wildcard last season so missed all of his attacking returns. I had Hojbjerg as fifth midfielder last season and he actually gave some good returns when I did have to play him so I'm thinking he could be worth the higher price this season but again if I have money to upgrade he might be the one to go. The new Southampton attacking midfielder Djenepo has just been added at 5.5m so he could be worth trying out if he is playing in pre-season. I would prefer if I could swap the money about to give a good option for captain if Salah has a tough game. Only a couple of hundred more versions of the team to go before the season kicks off.

I’d also downgrade Ederson to someone like Gunn since you have Laporte in there already.

I think Ederson will get more points than Gunn next season and my thinking on the set and forget goalkeeper option is that the one to play every week has to have a good chance of a clean sheet. Ederson is also one of the City players most likely to be selected every game.

Thanks for your input on the team.

Looks to me like all the 4m defenders are not likely to play and I like the idea of being able to play 5 at the back if the fixtures suit but I can see where you are going with that. I would be very slow to deliberately select a player who is not playing. Still got to find this seasons Wan Bissaka to get the solid defense at an affordable price but hopefully there is still time for that. Replaced Doherty with Wan Bissaka on early wildcard last season so missed all of his attacking returns. I had Hojbjerg as fifth midfielder last season and he actually gave some good returns when I did have to play him so I'm thinking he could be worth the higher price this season but again if I have money to upgrade he might be the one to go. The new Southampton attacking midfielder Djenepo has just been added at 5.5m so he could be worth trying out if he is playing in pre-season. I would prefer if I could swap the money about to give a good option for captain if Salah has a tough game. Only a couple of hundred more versions of the team to go before the season kicks off.

Yeah it’s all personal preference when it comes to non-playing players. I’d have no problem picking a 4m bench fodder as long as I’d have 3 very strong options in defence and a solid back up in case of injury or rotation.

I’ll also probably have a non-playing goalkeeper on the bench as goalies would normally be far less likely to get injured or rotated.

I think Ederson will get more points than Gunn next season and my thinking on the set and forget goalkeeper option is that the one to play every week has to have a good chance of a clean sheet. Ederson is also one of the City players most likely to be selected every game.

It’s almost a certainty that Ederson will outscore Gunn and by a decent amount too. However given the 1.5m saving I think it’s worth going with a cheap keeper at the start at least as that 1.5 million can go a long way in recouping the points lost by not going for Ederson.

Gunn will also get far more save points than Ederson so for value for money I would prefer a keeper like Gunn or whoever looks like starting at Burnley, Pope or Heaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

First draft of 100.

RMT1.png
    GK - Heaton (4.5m) Burnley
    GK - Nyland (4.5m) Aston Villa

These two rotate well to start and traditionally Burnley have been good defensively. Villa have been very good at the back in the championship but they're possibly losing their two starting centre-backs as the their loan spells are up, so I'll have to wait and see about this going forward.

Obviously this is punt territory but I'm a believer in the cheap goalies route instead of a set and forget.
    DF - Robertson (7m) Liverpool
    DF - Alexander Arnold (7m) Liverpool
    DF - Digne (6m) Everton
    DF - Mendy (6m) Man City
    DF - Wan Bissaka (5.5m) Man United

I usually go head first into a strong established defense at the start of a FPL campaign as relying on punts to start the season can work out just as bad as they can good. I think doubling up on two Liverpool defense is a no-brainer and with Evertons good start Digne is worth a shout.

Of course, I'll be keeping an eye on the starting position at RB for City between Mendy and Zinchenko, but if the former keeps his place he'd obviously be excellent value.

I think AWB will boost United's defense no end. He's a superb defender and he'll gobble them BPS up. You might say that's a lot invested in defense, but to me him at 5.5, you won't get better bang for your buck to start with in other positions.
    MD - Salah (12.5) Liverpool
    MD - Sterling (12m) Man City
    MD - Sigurdsson (8m) Everton
    MD - Zaha (7m) Crystal Palace
    MD - 4.5m

I intend to rotate between Salah and Sterling for captaincy options. I think Bernardo Silva could have a great season points wise (just a hunch) and at 4m cheaper than Sterling he's tempting, but for now it's on Sterling.

Was kind of a toss-up between Siggy and Richarlison. I expect Ricky to start on the wing with DCL up front and traditionally he's gotten better points coming off the wing. I think if he was 7.5m instead of 8 he'd be in my team.

Zaha is interesting as a mid. If he goes to Arsenal it could catapult or kill his points potential. A case of wait and see but for now he's in.

4.5 guy is Dendonker for Wolves who should get minutes, however the cheap alternatives are yet to be seen.
    FD - King (6.5m) Bournemouth
    FD - 4.5
    FD - 4.5

I'm sure there will be gems up front like Jimenez from last year that'll show but nothing really sticks out for me here, so with Bournemouth having a decent fixture list, being a naturally attacking unit, and King on pens makes this a option I'm happy to go for. He's no Wilson though, but not many are.

Will have to see whats the story with the newly promoted teams, but yeah this is where I'm at for now. :D

• Advertisement

First draft of 100.

RMT1.png

These two rotate well to start and traditionally Burnley have been good defensively. Villa have been very good at the back in the championship but they're possibly losing their two starting centre-backs as the their loan spells are up, so I'll have to wait and see about this going forward.

Obviously this is punt territory but I'm a believer in the cheap goalies route instead of a set and forget.

I usually go head first into a strong established defense at the start of a FPL campaign as relying on punts to start the season can work out just as bad as they can good. I think doubling up on two Liverpool defense is a no-brainer and with Evertons good start Digne is worth a shout.

Of course, I'll be keeping an eye on the starting position at RB for City between Mendy and Zinchenko, but if the former keeps his place he'd obviously be excellent value.

I think AWB will boost United's defense no end. He's a superb defender and he'll gobble them BPS up. You might say that's a lot invested in defense, but to me him at 5.5, you won't get better bang for your buck to start with in other positions.

I intend to rotate between Salah and Sterling for captaincy options. I think Bernardo Silva could have a great season points wise (just a hunch) and at 4m cheaper than Sterling he's tempting, but for now it's on Sterling.

Was kind of a toss-up between Siggy and Richarlison. I expect Ricky to start on the wing with DCL up front and traditionally he's gotten better points coming off the wing. I think if he was 7.5m instead of 8 he'd be in my team.

Zaha is interesting as a mid. If he goes to Arsenal it could catapult or kill his points potential. A case of wait and see but for now he's in.

4.5 guy is Dendonker for Wolves who should get minutes, however the cheap alternatives are yet to be seen.

I'm sure there will be gems up front like Jimenez from last year that'll show but nothing really sticks out for me here, so with Bournemouth having a decent fixture list, being a naturally attacking unit, and King on pens makes this a option I'm happy to go for. He's no Wilson though, but not many are.

Will have to see whats the story with the newly promoted teams, but yeah this is where I'm at for now. :D

Good first 11 but not sure if Mendy will get his place back at City and would personally want more options on the bench and a stronger keeper. City just signed a new midfielder as well so it will be interesting how he changes things. Will there be even more rotation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

@NoviGlitzko, I think you are spreading yourself too thin to be honest.

Realistically, only one of your outfield subs will see reasonable game time and, with rotation risks in Mendy and TAA, that will bite you. You also HAVE to play one forward, so if King gets rested you are goosed.

I like the Salah/Sterling combo to start the season, but I’d downgrade in defense and upgrade the bench.

I also don’t like the AWB pick. You are relying on defensive returns from a team who leaked like a sieve last season. He will help improve things, but 5.5 is a serious wedge for a player with no attacking threat.

Benimar wrote: »
    With rotation risks in Mendy and TAA, that will bite you.

Do you think TAA will be rotated much this season? You thinking around CL fixtures when he’ll be rested?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Do you think TAA will be rotated much this season? You thinking around CL fixtures when he’ll be rested?

I can see it happening. Not necessarily often, but if Gomez doesn’t reclaim the CB spot, he will get a run out at FB.

I’d have TAA in a balanced squad, as I’d want someone solid on the bench for when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ryan
    Robertson VVD Laporte Digne (Reid)
    Salah Sterling Zaha Siggy (Dedoncker)
    King Jota (fodder)

Basically picked VVD, Robertson, Laports, Salah, Sterling and then fitted a team around them.

GK was the last person I picked, don't fancy any of the 5m GK's, don;t want to strech to the 5.5m. Will go for a Burnley keeper if the number 1 emerges

Back 4 is fairly template. All solid attacking providers. Will be strange not having a 4.5 rotating pair for the first time in forever. Reid will get gametime if Diop gets sold. Could be downgrading one of these after a few weeks when Son is back.

Sterling is my must have. Salah could easily become Mane if I need the cash. Zaha seems to be in everyones team (for a reason), but will monitor where he ends up. Ideally Sanchez hits form in preseason and I'm move to him. Siggy is an old favorite with a nice early run, but could become Son after a few weeks.

Not gone on any of the attackers this year. Would love a Kane but would cost me too much elsewhere I reckon:
    Digne/Siggy/King
    Lacelles/Brooks/Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    Fab (McGovern)
    TAA, Robbo, Laporte, Digne, Ritchie
    Salah, Siggy, Fraser, Bilva (Hayden)
    Vardy (Andone, Greenwood)

Need to do a bit more research on the 4.5's but a new manager should/could see Andone start, could end up a good facilitator/cover at 5.0.

Will also be keeping an eye on United's preseason, Martial could be a steal at 7.5 if he gets the finger out, Sanchez if he remembers how to play... some decent performances in the Copa.

Have made some changes and going for a 4-5-1 with this.

Ryan, (Button)
    Robertson, VVD, Laporte, Digne, (Kelly)
    Salah, Bilva, Siggy, Martial, Brooks
    Vardy, (Andone, Greenwood)

Fairly happy at the moment.
    8.5 on Brighton keepers, set and forget.
    Back 4 don't need much explaining, Kelly at 4.0 should get minutes - helped by AWB leaving.
    Martial as above, will be on preseason watch, his PPG are great if he gets himself a regular spot. Plenty of other options if not happy with him.
    Brooks over Fraser for budgetary reasons and also PPG similar last season, expect him to match Fraser this with additional minutes.
    Going to party with Vardy for the start, Andone and Greenwood should also get minutes. Hoping Andone nails a starting spot.

Option to go Salah to Mane and strength bench a little but don't think I can go without both Salah & Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭skippy15

Seems back line is a bit template for most,

Anyways- draft 1ish
    Ederson

TAA Robbo Trippier Digne
    Sterling Bilva Zaha
    Firmino Rashford Jota
    Button Hayden dedonker Kelly

I like the balance and with 3 city and 3 pool starting off- also gives me wiggle room to jump on early band wagons
    Ederson/ TAA/ Robbo - no explanation needed. Digne good att and def potential with fixtures, Trippier in for now not too pushed
    Sterlin C choice early on and should be fresh, Bilva great price and finished strong, but with rodri and that on the way is a wait and see. Zaha big fan good price and now a mid,

Forward line: Firmino solid and cheaper than Mane/ Salah but if Salah is clear pen taker changes things with VAR
    Rashford, still the main striker as things stand and will want show of his new contract, be golden if Pogba moves and he gets pen duties
    Jota finished season stronger than Jimi and mil cheaper and more refreshed could be good for few weeks,
    Don't care about bench at the minute-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

All the money being spent on defences, might have been good last year, but with VAR this year I’m going to spend money elsewhere.
    Heaton,
    Robertson, Laporte, Digne, Holebas
    Milo, Zaha, Salah, Siggy,
    Aguero, Gerry D,
    Ryan, Greenwood, Drinkwater, Kelly.
    Everton and Watford have great opening fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Given that this year we have VAR - I would have thought having the likes of Milivojevic/King etc would have been in most teams, given the amount of penalties that they should be getting. Decent value players who should have above average chance of scoring goals.

Also based on this point, I think it may be a reason why an expensive defence may not be the way to go - or say having 2 defenders for the same team ala TAA/Robertson.

Will be interest dynamic at the start of the season anyway to see if many are given for fouls at corners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Happiest i've been yet with a draft

Ryan(Button)
    TAA VVD Robertson Laporte Digne
    Bilva Siggy Sterling (Dendoncker Hayden)
    Vardy Wilson (4.5)

3 City and 3 Liverpool. Rest of the team ain't bad (apart from the keepers). Jimenez had to be dumped it's doubtful he'll be back for gw1 and Wolves opening fixtures aren't great anyway. He can be easily got in post gw1 for Wilson or Vardy anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

manual_man wrote: »
    Happiest i've been yet with a draft

Ryan(Button)
    TAA VVD Robertson Laporte Digne
    Bilva Siggy Sterling (Dendoncker Hayden)
    Vardy Wilson (4.5)

3 City and 3 Liverpool. Rest of the team ain't bad (apart from the keepers). Jimenez had to be dumped it's doubtful he'll be back for gw1 and Wolves opening fixtures aren't great anyway. He can be easily got in post gw1 for Wilson or Vardy anyway

Personally think 3 defenders from liverpool is too much. Need a Salah/Mane/Firmino in that order

If one of them starts to click, you’ll want to fit them in and need 2 transfers to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Personally think 3 defenders from liverpool is too much. Need a Salah/Mane/Firmino in that order

If one of them starts to click, you’ll want to fit them in and need 2 transfers to do so
    I like the team personally. Going 3 Liverpool at the back is ballsy but I definitely think it can pay off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Robertson and Trent are essentially midfielders the way they play anyway. You arne't relying solely on clean sheet points.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Shocked to see the lack of Aguero and Kane in people's teams so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jacinta Bollickhammock

please be critical

Heaton (Ryan)
    TAA Robertson Walker Trippier (Arrons)
    Salah Sterling Siggy (Dendoncker) (Guendoozio)
    Jota Delofeu King

Overall quite happy at this stage. The merits of an attacking full back have been opined on to death so it seems the template is formed already. Inclusion of my favourite assets Salah and Sterling makes me content although a fourth option in midfield at the expense of maybe Jota is still up in the air. Not sure of Wolves second season and in Europe (a la Burnley)

As for inclusions from other teams, I like Sheffied United defensive options, if the attacking full back thing goes to pot.

ScummyMan wrote: »

Sterling is the better option between him and Kun and Kane is a notoriously slow starter.

3rd and 4th most selected striker at the moment. Boards is a tiny percent of the real game

I’d really like to get Kane in but can’t at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Sterling is the better option between him and Kun and Kane is a notoriously slow starter.

Given that Aguero is on penalties, and we have VAR - the chances are there are going to be more penalties this year, which should increase Aguero's chance of scoring goals - in fact with Sterling's trickery he could be getting more assists (from fouls in box) as well - so having both is probably the way to go.

Agree about Kane - but I do think in time he will be one to have.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Given that Aguero is on penalties, and we have VAR - the chances are there are going to be more penalties this year, which should increase Aguero's chance of scoring goals - in fact with Sterling's trickery he could be getting more assists (from fouls in box) as well - so having both is probably the way to go.
    Go have a look at the penalties City and Liverpool were awarded last year. If VAR was in place they'd have got less penalties last season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6753859/Manuel-Pellegrini-accuses-Bernardo-Silva-diving-win-penalty.html
    https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/watch-raheem-sterling-awarded-ghost-penalty-after-dive-35297
    https://www.givemesport.com/1470136-chelsea-fan-puts-together-compilation-video-of-mohamed-salahs-dives-for-liverpool

Advertisement