Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ben36

So how much will say a tray of coors now cost?I usually get a couple of trays every time they are on offer at €28 a tray.Will they be now minimum €48?I see tesco in Newry currently have 30 cans of coors(440mls) for £20.Seems a no brainer now to go up and stock up every couple of months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ben36 wrote: »
    So how much will say a tray of coors now cost?I usually get a couple of trays every time they are on offer at €28 a tray.Will they be now minimum €48?I see tesco in Newry currently have 30 cans of coors(440mls) for £20.Seems a no brainer now to go up and stock up every couple of months now.

Something like 48e yes. Absolutely nuts given the price of booze in the rest of Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

This is being done to help pubs which fg said they would. Nothing to do with health. It will effect people who enjoy a few beers sensibly and problem drinkers will just find ways to still drink as much. There where many in the dail not paying there subsided bar bill up until recently. FG are a bunch of jokers and smug Leo the biggest one. Love to see them out of goverment but FF are no better.

This is being done to help pubs which fg said they would. Nothing to do with health. It will effect people who enjoy a few beers sensibly and problem drinkers will just find ways to still drink as much. There where many in the dail not paying there subsided bar bill up until recently. FG are a bunch of jokers and smug Leo the biggest one. Love to see them out of goverment but FF are no better.

Exactly, all of the c**ts support this bill. What I would love to happen is for people to boycott pubs until these measures are scrapped. It would probably last all of 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The manager of Sainsbury's in Newry will be in line for a very big bonus next year, given that we seem to be getting ahead of the North on this one ... we need to vote with our feet on this one if you can!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The manager of Sainsbury's in Newry will be in line for a very big bonus next year, given that we seem to be getting ahead of the North on this one ... we need to vote with our feet on this one if you can!

I would imagine the Puritan DUP etc would live measures like this and will be right behind us with legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would imagine the Puritan DUP etc would live measures like this and will be right behind us with legislation

Paisley used to call liquor "the devil's buttermilk" and Sinn Fein support MUP so when they get Stormont up and running it'll be something they can agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A great time to invest in a drive through off license in Newry. Click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

What's the cheapest that a can if guinness and a can of Heineken will cost under the new rules?

ceekay74 wrote: »
    What's the cheapest that a can if guinness and a can of Heineken will cost under the new rules?

About €1.70 for a 500ml can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Main headline in Sunday Independent today. I can't understand why the Gov are doing this when probably 85% of the population are against it. Who do they think they are? It'll surely lose them votes. I know it's probably to help pubs but this level of Nanny Statism is just shocking. I already wrote to my TDs telling them they've lost my vote (not that I'd vote for them anyway) and I suggest you to do same if you have a problem with this ridiculous legislation.
    I hate the Sindo and Philip Ryan in today's article peddling this propaganda on behalf of FG by repeatedly quoting the follow lies:

"CHEAP ALCOHOL"
    "BARGAIN BASEMENT"
    "LOW PRICED-ALCOHOL"
    "CHEAP DRINKS"

Absolutely laughable, absolute liars, 2nd highest alcohol prices in the fkn EU 177% above the average

About €1.70 for a 500ml can.

The actual price won't be known until they publish the regs so there is still some hope they will fudge it.

Of course whatever is decided it will also mean the end of price competition and the use of vouchers.

elperello wrote: »
    The actual price won't be known until they publish the regs so there is still some hope they will fudge it.
    Of course whatever is decided it will also mean the end of price competition and the use of vouchers.

I was going on the indicative price in the Sindo but as you say its uncertain.

On the competition front its going to close off almost all the bargains. Except maybe bottle of wine in meal deal as the overall cost will be over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Ohmeha wrote: »
    I hate the Sindo and Philip Ryan in today's article peddling this propaganda on behalf of FG by repeatedly quoting the follow lies:

"CHEAP ALCOHOL"
    "BARGAIN BASEMENT"
    "LOW PRICED-ALCOHOL"
    "CHEAP DRINKS"

Absolutely laughable, absolute liars, 2nd highest alcohol prices in the fkn EU 177% above the average

Those surveys don't use the promotional prices. Hence the survey prices will not change and the level above eu average will stay the same.

We have a phenomenal drink problem in this country and a lot of it is caused by below cost promotion pricing.

Darc19 wrote: »
    We have a phenomenal drink problem in this country and a lot of it is caused by below cost promotion pricing.

This makes no sense.
    Have you ever been to a French supermarket? Or Italian?
    Their rrps are lower than our promotion pricing on wine and spirits.

Whatever problems we have have nothing to do with promotional pricing in Irish supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What?

So this measure will solve our crisis? Many alcoholics at the moment have no problem paying pub prices, students will continue to drink in excess, the alcoholics on the street only go for the cheapest alcohol, which this measure could hypothetically help (could cause other issied), but it's not price promotion that causes this, this alcohol is always as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Didn't see the sindo article today, did they give a date this might happen or is it still something down the line?

I don't buy this line that "we" have a drink problem.

For sure some people have a drink problem.

I don't drink too much and I fail to see how me paying more for my beer etc. is going to help problem drinkers.

In my experience over indulgence in drink is the result of complex social and cultural issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,528 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The very fact that we have such high prices compared to other European countries and yet we still continue to consume high levels would point to a drink problem.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Didn't see the sindo article today, did they give a date this might happen or is it still something down the line?

I thought the whole concept of minimum pricing was knocked on the head ages ago when Scotland (I think?) tried to implement it, and the EU said 'lol no'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The very fact that we have such high prices compared to other European countries and yet we still continue to consume high levels would point to a drink problem.

Is it any wonder. This country needs an anaesthetic now and then :D

However being realistic, other European countries will not tolerate the drunken madness that can happen here. It is just not accepted. Ever.

Maybe if there was a zero tolerance for public drunkenness in our towns and cities things might be a bit more tolerant. But that involves Gardai I suppose.

So scratch that. Easier to pretend that higher prices will result in improved behaviour. Yep.

I thought the whole concept of minimum pricing was knocked on the head ages ago when Scotland (I think?) tried to implement it, and the EU said 'lol no'?

That was a while back.
    MUP has since been introduced in Scotland.

That was a while back.
    MUP has since been introduced in Scotland.

What about NI? I doubt this country will implement it without the same regime up North really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Below cost selling of alcohol is very rare in this country, despite what the vintners lobbyists claim. But, for the sake of argument, if we accepted that below cost selling was common.......why not just ban that? Why the convoluted MUP nonsense?

What about NI? I doubt this country will implement it without the same regime up North really.

Not in NI yet but likely when Stormont gets going again.

Seems a bit hard on border county off licences and shops to introduce MUP. People will certainly go North for the drink and buy the rest of their groceries while they are at it.

Not in NI yet but likely when Stormont gets going again.

Seems a bit hard on border county off licences and shops to introduce MUP. People will certainly go North for the drink and buy the rest of their groceries while they are at it.

Dream on regarding the NI Assembly. I think we will be ok so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Below cost selling of alcohol is very rare in this country, despite what the vintners lobbyists claim. But, for the sake of argument, if we accepted that below cost selling was common.......why not just ban that? Why the convoluted MUP nonsense?

Sure last xmas you could buy certain drinks for crazy low prices in tesco, aldi, supervalu etc. Thats where the real problem is, buying bottles of bushmills for a tenner etc was only drawing attention to the dam thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Who cares, it's only booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They will, and they are. Leo talks about it in a bragging fashion, it's bizarre. I heard him the other day talk about how we are being world leaders by doing this just like we were with the smoking ban.
    I really don't think this is just down to trying to satisfy publicans, surely there's more to it than that? I mean any poll I've seen is almost unanimously against it, so why force it on a public that doesn't want it? I wish someone could ask politicians in favour of it this question.

No need to ask anyone, it was in their previous manifesto. Note there is no mention about health, that's something varadker is spinning now. This is all about forcing people to spend money in pubs.

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as
    a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice
    of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol
    consumption and the viability of pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Aww bless.

The government disguising another money making racket as 'caring for the people of Ireland'

Just another bright idea to make more money from us while pretending to care about an issue

Makes me sick to be honest. In other countries, selling the same heineken bottles we have, however at a fraction of the price and almost 1% stronger.

Advertisement