Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Model S vs new Model 3

Options
  • 28-06-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

decided to start a new thread, if i ask in the model 3 thread, answers will be biased, same with the model s thread!

100% buying a tesla now, minds made up. either a 2016 85d or a brand new 3. ye know more about the differences than I do! is there anything else im missing from the below.

2016 model s 85d
    +maybe very slightly more mileage per charge
    +better looking (imo)
    +bigger car, more storage (family of 4, two kids under 6)
    +free supercharging for life (good for work commutes around country)
    +10k cheaper approx
    - only AP1 (nor much of an issue atm)
    -older technology
    -1 year of normal warranty left
    -5 years battery and motor warranty left

brand new model 3 sr+
    +newer technology in general
    +ap3 ready
    +4 year warranty on everything, or 100k km
    +8 year warranty on battery&motor
    -RWD only (not much of a negative I suppose)

besides the warranty, which is a big one obv, is there anything i have missed above?!

cheers!

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd buy the new M3 Performance.
    The Tech, sensors and build quality is better than what was available in the 2016, 2017 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Model 3 for me.

Why the SR+? Surely a performance spec M3 is similar price to a decent 2016 Model s.

Plus kids would love this at charge stops :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6DP4DX5t5g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I played that game all the time on my phone. Fantastic game

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

A Model S 85 will have a higher consumption in kWh/km than a Model 3.

If you need the storage space or want to save 10k + supercharging fees, a Model S or X is the way to go. I also like that Model S has a binnacle display and more stalks.

A 20016 Model S isn't likely to get all the newest updates, so what you buy is more or less what you get, while a Model 3 will get many updates and improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Model 3 performance

Forget SR+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I did not drive those two cars, but according to Elon Musk second hand Model S is better https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/976771803044446208

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

gonna head to sandyford tomorrow and have a look at both of them, ill come back with an opinion after!!

thanks for answers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

copeyhagen wrote: »
    +10k cheaper approx

Not really. Bring in a decent 2016 S with AP and it will set you back as much as a new 3 SR+ after VRT

went to Tesla today to look at both ,the model s is imo a million miles away from the model 3, though i do like the 3.

the sr+ rwd just isnt for me, gonna go or the used model s, just suits me better for now, if the model 3 lr is released eventually i would be interested, bit not gonna drop 60k now for the model 3 performance.

but eyah, theres n oway i will be saving 10k fro mthe cost of a new model 3 for a 2016, one can hope.

The model 3 is quite expensive and really aimed at company car buyers to steal the 3 series and A4 sales.

Model S is a good car.

What do you not like about RWD ? I got RWD in the i3 and it's leaps and bounds better than any FWD EV because it's got a lot more grip. Test drive a Kona EV or Leaf 40 and you will know what I'm talking about , even though they got decent power and 0-100 tmes that suffers badly especially on damp roads.

Model S is a good car, and it's big , plenty of room.

Personally, I'd save the 10 K and get a Model 3 when it comes down in price. You'll probably save even more when you take into account interest + depreciation.

I see no used Model S on the Irish site, surprise surprise off to the U.K.

• Advertisement

The model 3 is quite expensive and really aimed at company car buyers to steal the 3 series and A4 sales.

Model S is a good car.

What do you not like about RWD ? I got RWD in the i3 and it's leaps and bounds better than any FWD EV because it's got a lot more grip. Test drive a Kona EV or Leaf 40 and you will know what I'm talking about , even though they got decent power and 0-100 tmes that suffers badly especially on damp roads.

Model S is a good car, and it's big , plenty of room.

Personally, I'd save the 10 K and get a Model 3 when it comes down in price. You'll probably save even more when you take into account interest + depreciation.

I see no used Model S on the Irish site, surprise surprise off to the U.K.
    nothing agaisnt the rwd, just the awd 85d sounds better. been looking at tonnes of sr+ videos and reading on the teslamotors forum and dont think thats for me, people reporting 170 miles range between charges.

if i own the mdoel s for 2 years and its still worth a few bob ill upgrade when the time comes to a LR m3 or soemthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

nothing agaisnt the rwd, just the awd 85d sounds better. been looking at tonnes of sr+ videos and reading on the teslamotors forum and dont think thats for me, people reporting 170 miles range between charges.

if i own the mdoel s for 2 years and its still worth a few bob ill upgrade when the time comes to a LR m3 or soemthing.

Yeah, the fastest Teslas are all 4wd.

Yeah AWD is better of course but if a RWD comes around at the right price I think you'd be mad not to snatch it up. My greatest fear would be keeping one out of warranty.

High spec late 2015 S85D under GBP35k

Linky

Once a few shiploads of Model 3 will have been delivered to the UK, the prices of used Model S should come down quite a bit. Obviously post-brexit, bringing one of them in to Ireland might no longer be a viable option...

seen that one alright Unkel.

theres a nice 2015 on the tesla CPO website with a 90d battery, its 50k euro but comes with a 4 year warranty.
    Every used Tesla vehicle has passed a 70‑point inspection and comes with either a 4‑year or 50,000 mile limited warranty or a 2‑year, up to 100,000 mile warranty

does anyone know if that would transfer with the car to Ireland?! the lad in Sandyford reckons the warranty travels with the car?

Yes it does transfer with the car. 90D is very nice, I drove a 90D from Sandyford 2 years ago. Pretty rapid 0-100km/h in a touch over 4s, same as the Model 3 LR AWD I drove last week

Any link to the car?

it was on the tesla uk used car section. 50k for a 2015 is expensive, but the 4 year warranty would give peace of mind for things like MCU etc.

at the same time, you could buy a used car from a dealer for 10k cheaper and hope nothing goes wrong ,though its unlikely to cost 10k in repairs.. hopefully!

it was on the tesla uk used car section. 50k for a 2015 is expensive

Ah ok, I thought you saw it in Tesla Ireland as you posted:
    theres a nice 2015 on the tesla CPO website with a 90d battery, its 50k euro

So you meant GBP50k? Before bringing it in? That's madness imho. Better off buying a brand new one. There is one on the website, 75D, brand new for €72k + registration tax, I presume that's the VRT and will be about €3k-€4k?

no, sorry, I should have said, its on the English site. its 50k euro converted or thereabouts.

would that English one you posted with the chip in windscreen, would that fail nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

What did you do in the end?

no, sorry, I should have said, its on the English site. its 50k euro converted or thereabouts.

would that English one you posted with the chip in windscreen, would that fail nct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Resureccting a bit of an old thread here I know, but I still think it's relevant, especially with Model S prices coming down in the UK and lockdown being relaxed a bit.

Heart is set on a tesla and specifically the Model 3 for a good while.

Aiming for the SR+, probably white with 19" rims, or red with aeros.

However, looking at some of the latest CPO Model S' in the UK, my mind is going into overdrive.

eg:

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7E17GF133380?token=$2y$10$rkQivfVAanlw81wz0FI/k.Bkt1YkTy3R3xxgguOXLUCE4JMVg4o4m&redirect=no

2 Year Warranty up to 37k miles

£35600 => say €40500

VRT of about 2k ?

Call it €43k all in including ferry/flight (not sure the flight is possible/advisable just now)

or

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7E13GF163606?token=$2y$10$KZ6ZalaoCZxySvB9.RZ1T.m/MOVC.n.9tcMwkuVo8YEqqUhGJXSIi&redirect=no

Exact same warranty as a new Mode 3 - No surroof though :/

£37600 ==> say €42700

VRT 2k?

Call it €45k all in. (Edging a little too high for me for a 2nd hand car..)

Serious alternatives no?

A lot of depreciation already lost at this stage on those too

Looks like a lot of car for the price.

Just to mix it up - I'm also considering a second hand model 3 from some of the reputable dealers over there :)

If I could afford a M3P, I’d buy one over an older generation S as the tech is all there.

I’m currently looking at Model S too in the UK, a M3P is out of budget.

M3P is too much for me.

Obviously I'd love one, but the SR+ fits me range wise to be honest.

Model S 75 should get similar range?

One big benefit down the line is the storage space should that need arise :)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    M3P is too much for me.

Obviously I'd love one, but the SR+ fits me range wise to be honest.

Model S 75 should get similar range?

One big benefit down the line is the storage space should that need arise :)

Then it comes down to car size and space required. Kids etc, 7 seats?
    Price the conversion on Revolut. You can transfer from revolut to Tesla as that’s what unkel (user on here) done.

Also, budget €500 for flight over, fuel, food and ferry back. It should be less
    But at least if you budget 500 then you won’t be left short.

Yup, Revolut for sure. Would probably sign up to Revolut premium to save on fees too.

I imported a Leaf before and did it that way.

No need for a 7 seater, but the hatchback would be useful should any kids come along.

Saying that, the Model 3 would do the job for us too to be honest. The S woould be more comfortable though, spacewise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used MS all the way, way more practical car, the boot on the M3 would never work for me.
    You should find plenty within that budget, free supercharging for life, free premium connectivity for life, faster AC charging, bigger inside, bigger boot, bigger frunk

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Used MS all the way, way more practical car, the boot on the M3 would never work for me.
    You should find plenty within that budget, free supercharging for life, free premium connectivity for life, faster AC charging, bigger inside, bigger boot, bigger frunk

If he buys from Tesla, a CPO he will loose the super charging, premium connectivity etc as Tesla appear to be removing them from all CPO cars.

My PCP is up in November, can't decide what to do, m3 too expensive for my mileage and so is any car for 50K.

Being toying with the idea of a Model S only it would have around 160 K Kms for my budget and I'm driving 30,000 Kms a year + so in 5 years I'd have another 150 K odd kms.

Reliability of the Model S drivetrain is pretty good it's the rest of the car, Air Suspension, door handles, MCU etc etc can all add thousands.

Then there is the sensible side of me saying Kia E-Niro or E-Soul, Kona is woefully noisy. Kia has 7 year warranty. Disadvantage of the Kia/Hyundai is wheel spin in the wet.

Or keep i3 but not sure I really want to keep it much beyond warranty, already out since February.

Model S P85 600 dual motors sounds great but if something breaks it could cost thousands. It would be a car I'd keep a while.

The MCU on the facelift models is ok no? It's the older ones that have issues?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gumbo wrote: »
    If he buys from Tesla, a CPO he will loose the super charging, premium connectivity etc as Tesla appear to be removing them from all CPO cars.

If buying from Tesla.
    Look around and there are CPOs with the free for life stuff sold by Tesla 2 years ago with 4 year CPO warranty back on sale by current owner and the warranty transfers so these are the sweet spot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement