Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family forced to squat in house....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

jo2509 wrote: »
    Honestly, i'm sitting here in working wondering why i bother.

I'm pregnant with my first, due in January. I work full time as does my partner. We both own our own homes which we have worked hard for. Even so, i'm feeling guilty about going on our (planned and booked before the baby news) holiday next month because i'm mentally totting up how much unpaid maternity leave i'll be able to take while still paying the mortgage and bills. Never mind all the other paraphernalia that comes with a newborn.

Then you have scroungers like this just being handed everything. And i've no doubt the likes of Peter McVery or some PBP twat will intervene and ensure these poor craturs get to stay in the house.

Agree with this. While I believe Peter McVery is well intentioned I've heard him on the radio defending people like this and he described anyone who asks questions as "Trumpesque".

I'm no apologist for FG or Eoghan Murphy but these 4 people (soon to be 5 and probably 7 or 8 before long if they keep up their lifestyle) are part of the homeless figures that the media report on every day. I really can't see how it's his fault that people like this who don't work and contribute are in the situation they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm pregnant with my first, due in January. I work full time as does my partner. We both own our own homes which we have worked hard for. Even so, i'm feeling guilty about going on our (planned and booked before the baby news) holiday next month because i'm mentally totting up how much unpaid maternity leave i'll be able to take while still paying the mortgage and bills. Never mind all the other paraphernalia that comes with a newborn.

Then you have scroungers like this just being handed everything. And i've no doubt the likes of Peter McVery or some PBP twat will intervene and ensure these poor craturs get to stay in the house.

There's your problem right there. Neither PBP nor McVery ever made one policy and don't control the system. People keep voting for FF/FG and for some reason blame parties on single digits for anything FF/FG do that they don't like.

Here's the entire Meath county council list. So if they get their forever home you go get on to PBP or Clare Daily or the like and give out.

12 FG
    12 FF
    9 Non-Party
    3 SF
    1 SD
    1 Lab
    1 Aontu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Agree with this. While I believe Peter McVery is well intentioned I've heard him on the radio defending people like this and he described anyone who asks questions as "Trumpesque".

I'm no apologist for FG or Eoghan Murphy but these 4 people (soon to be 5 and probably 7 or 8 before long if they keep up their lifestyle) are part of the homeless figures that the media report on every day. I really can't see how it's his fault that people like this who don't work and contribute are in the situation they're in.

It's his fault if the tax payer ends up paying for a hotel for them or buying a house for them to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Very sad situation. I hope this lady's luck turns soon as she's had a rough ride thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Very sad situation. I hope this lady's luck turns soon as she's had a rough ride thus far.

She’d had at least three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Every house has to be renovated before being given to someone else. Stripped back to bare walls. Painted. New kitchen and bathroom. These have to be ordered.

Mine wasn't. I speak as a council tenant.

Graces7 wrote: »

I seem to remember you being very proactive in your search!
    Would your present home be suitable for a single mother of 6 children? Or indeed any family with children?

Every house has to be renovated before being given to someone else. Stripped back to bare walls. Painted. New kitchen and bathroom. These have to be ordered.

Urban myth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Urban myth

+1

Absolute bullsh't.

Let it be a lesson about all the fake news out there. This fake news is inconsequential and not harmful, but it's a taster of the more sinister lies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cyra is a girl's name of Persian origin meaning "sun or throne, or lord".

Levi is a boy's name, from the Biblical Hebrew for "joined in harmony."

Beautiful names.

As if they'd know that. They'd think Persian means a fancy carpet and Hebrew is a fella working in Starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Urban myth

I know someone involved in renovation of council housing and he said otherwise, every single kitchen in houses he has been involved in has had it ripped apart and new poverty spec/easy to maintain kitchen fitted, regardless of condition of current kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Sometimes I wish I never had a hard working bone in my body.

I'm living away from my family, house sharing with idiots approaching my 30's. All my money I've earnt sitting in the bank will eventually go on a house.

While leeches are brought up by their leech parents learning how to leech.

These people go on more holidays than me, have nicer houses and don't have to share with strangers, have way more free time than me to enjoy.

What's the point?

Whats worse is, not only are you trying to save from your wages, but the state sets aside a portion of your hard earned wages to ensure these people have a house and whatever trappings required.

I know someone involved in renovation of council housing and he said otherwise, every single kitchen in houses he has been involved in has had it ripped apart and new poverty spec/easy to maintain kitchen fitted, regardless of condition of current kitchen.

Once again this is simply not true. The council will refit old and tired kitchens yes as well as other parts of the dwelling that needs upgrading (just as a landlord would) but not everything is ripped out it's just not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Once again this is simply not true. The council will refit old and tired kitchens yes as well as other parts of the dwelling that needs upgrading (just as a landlord would) but not everything is ripped out it's just not accurate.

I can tell you for 100% certain that every vacated Tipp Council house costs just under €60000 to relet, irregardless of condition.

Which county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

splinter65 wrote: »
    I can tell you for 100% certain that every vacated Tipp Council house costs just under €60000 to relet, irregardless of condition.

Well they are pulling a fast one then. We handed a 9 year old apartment back to the council. I had forgotten to change the address for herselfs car so when I taxed it, the disc went to the old address. I got talking to the new tenant and they had left all the wooden flooring, the kitchen, and the floor tiles in the kitchen. They re tiled the bathroom alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Graces7 wrote: »

The council gave you a property that wasn't fit for habitation if I remember rightly on an island ?
    But you have always claimed your not on housing lists and you were only getting rent supplement .

Have I missed something.

Gatling wrote: »
    The council gave you a property that wasn't fit for habitation if I remember rightly on an island ?
    But you have always claimed your not on housing lists and you were only getting rent supplement .

Have I missed something.

Not really. I stayed off housing lists for years and rented privately to retain choice over where I live. When private rentals ran out I applied to the council.

The point i am making is that council properties are not always done up etc as others have averred. Clearly as 2 years on I am still living here it is fit for habitation but needed some work. As almost all the private rentals also did . No great hassle but no new kitchen etc!

Getting anywhere to rent is very, very hard compared to 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think the whole article is a bit of a bait to essentially undermine the whole homeless issue.

The people in the article are actually hindering the public support for solving the homeless crisis properly. They should be booted out and put to the back of the list, otherwise what would stop anyone on the list just doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

My sister waited patiently for a council house for ten years after the breakdown of her marriage when her husband fecked off to America, she lived between my house and my mother's because there wasn't enough room in either house.

This kind of scum take the piss out of genuine cases and should be evicted immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Too many traveller shaming threads , they are boring after a while. Get on with your lives and think yourselves lucky. There is nothing appealing about being a traveller in this country, even if you get hand outs.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Too many traveller shaming threads , they are boring after a while. Get on with your lives and think yourselves lucky. There is nothing appealing about being a traveller in this country, even if you get hand outs.

It's not the fact that they get handouts - they fcuking demand them instantly now. And it appears that it works for them.

Honestly if I ever found myself with nowhere to go I would haunt the council. I'd sleep in the waiting room until I got what I wanted. It works for travellers.

So people who are on the waiting list for 10/11 years should get on with lives whilst someone else just takes over an empty council house?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    So people who are on the waiting list for 10/11 years should get on with lives whilst someone else just takes over an empty council house?

Why can't they take it over? If they have waited for 10 years surely they be delighted to get a gaff?

The traveller shaming that goes on is racism, your all guilty. Blaming the system is just camouflaging your hatred. I see right through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why can't they take it over? If they have waited for 10 years surely they be delighted to get a gaff?

The traveller shaming that goes on is racism, your all guilty. Blaming the system is just camouflaging your hatred. I see right through it.

ahh yeah, call everyone racists, thats the answer.

Maybe irish people would stop giving out about travellers if they actually took responsibility for their own community and collectively started behaving in a way that wasnt massively detrimental to normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This thread is not turning into a traveler bashing thread. We’ve had enough of those. Keep the discussion relevant to the OT.

dudara

Because some people don't break the law.

BTW, I didn't even realise or assume these people were travellers until you brought it up so your second point is invalid.

They're scum, traveller or not.

john4321 wrote: »
    She said in the interview she is 3 months pregnant and has a 3 month old Son. Is that even possible?

Think about it.

The answer is yes btw.

In case you can't think that far.... or for that long.

ahh yeah, call everyone racists, thats the answer.

Maybe irish people would stop giving out about travellers if they actually took responsibility for their own community and collectively started behaving in a way that wasnt massively detrimental to normal society.

Please listen to yourself for a change. What you have written here is the epitome of racism. You need to check the way you think about people in this society, for real.

• Advertisement

Please listen to yourself for a change. What you have written here is the epitome of racism. You need to check the way you think about people in this society, for real.

You're the racist here, demanding travellers get preference for social housing over other families who have been queuing for 10 years or more for a home.

Advertisement