Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family forced to squat in house....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hmmmm... "The court heard that Hand’s 78 previous convictions stem from a chronic heroin addiction."
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-to-be-sentenced-later-for-raiding-a-shop-after-his-drug-dealer-stole-from-him-28949537.html

"The court heard the brothers have a total of 100 previous convictions between them, and come from a family of 13 children with an extremely dysfunctional background."Maybe have less kids himself, then?
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2007/11/24/22693-three-brothers-jailed-over-failed-robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"dont give them cost effective homes because they are idiots and will set first to them" isnt a valid reason..........

Look at the area a halting site takes up :

KgTvsgl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Hmmmm... "The court heard that Hand’s 78 previous convictions stem from a chronic heroin addiction."
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-to-be-sentenced-later-for-raiding-a-shop-after-his-drug-dealer-stole-from-him-28949537.html

"The court heard the brothers have a total of 100 previous convictions between them, and come from a family of 13 children with an extremely dysfunctional background."Maybe have less kids himself, then?
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2007/11/24/22693-three-brothers-jailed-over-failed-robbery

The bloke in the OP's post is 27 now. cant be the fella(s) in article's linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gctest50 wrote: »
    Look at the area a halting site takes up :

So similar to a housing estate without the cost of actually building the houses? Whats the issue?

Theres no need for them all to have big driveways and gardens. Again, if they want acreage, they are free to buy it themselves.

Plus , no one mentioned that mobile homes only be used for travellers. They can be used as temporary homes for anyone.

How many mobile sites are there around the country used as holiday homes (and plenty living there permanently) without the need for walled partitions, big driveways and gardens?

There isnt a need for these to be where land is expensive either. Greenfield sites in cheap land areas will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

That is a different Hand in the news article - check his age, and date of article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Ginger83

That is a different Hand in the news article - check his age, and date of article.

They is all the same......boss

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gctest50 wrote: »
    No, no, easy mistake to make though -

it marks where one of the five children burned to death*

That was their favourite toy, that little green car

(*because someone wouldn't buy an electronic deep fat fryer)

And being wrecked on benzos and drink was considered appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Family have to squat in their house? Hard to believe this day and age and they have no toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

There isnt a need for these to be where land is expensive either. Greenfield sites in cheap land areas will do.

There is absolutely no need but there is an entitlement. The entitlement and the complete lack of personal responsibility means we have a community of toddlers and a government who allows this behaviour. Like a modern-day parent, all praise and no discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I read something interesting yesterday about a girl from a very disadvantaged area who recently graduated from TCD; she was a bright kid (clearly) who, when she sat down with her career guidance counselor, was advised to apply for a beauty or massage course in the local PLC college. This is before she'd sat her LC and when she'd expressed an interest in a university education.

What hope do these kids have if *this* is what they're being told to aim for? Surely the only way out of this vicious cycle is to tell these kids that they can achieve so much more if they set themselves to it. This disdain for education and bettering oneself has to stop, or we'll have an entire class of layabout scummers with zero respect for themselves or anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I read something interesting yesterday about a girl from a very disadvantaged area who recently graduated from TCD; she was a bright kid (clearly) who, when she sat down with her career guidance counselor, was advised to apply for a beauty or massage course in the local PLC college. This is before she'd sat her LC and when she'd expressed an interest in a university education.

What hope do these kids have if *this* is what they're being told to aim for? Surely the only way out of this vicious cycle is to tell these kids that they can achieve so much more if they set themselves to it. This disdain for education and bettering oneself has to stop, or we'll have an entire class of layabout scummers with zero respect for themselves or anyone else.

I'd prefer to hear the CG teacher's side of that story before coming to a conclusion.

I'd prefer to hear the CG teacher's side of that story before coming to a conclusion.

Well the young one just finished her course there, so it clearly worked out well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well the young one just finished her course there, so it clearly worked out well for her.

There seem to be an afwel lot of people who were told by their career guidance teacher to aim low, and in 99.9% of the time that did not happen.

What can happen is the pupil has dyslexia or other learning issues and get stressed about going to college the career guidance teacher suggests some alternative ways of getting to college ... the pupil heres that they are not good enough for Trinity or where ever they want to go.

Did we ever find out where they lived before this squat? And why they aren't still there?

Its no different to those tossers taking over buildings in Dublin city centre, gardai in, f*ck 'em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

The fact that children are involved makes all the difference. With children involved, and this is also the case with Margaret Cash, solutions may be found and sympathy given for their plight.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

This girl was on Newstalk this morning bemoaning her plight.
    They'd been living with her mother, who 'threw them out'. Said mother is still coming over to collect their rubbish however.
    Meanwhile i'm sitting on the bus listening to this thinking i'm going into work to basically subsidize these scroungers.

jo2509 wrote: »
    This girl was on Newstalk this morning bemoaning her plight.
    They'd been living with her mother, who 'threw them out'. Said mother is still coming over to collect their rubbish however.
    Meanwhile i'm sitting on the bus listening to this thinking i'm going into work to basically subsidize these scroungers.

Now, that's interesting. Why would her mother throw them out? Either something she couldn't stand was happening in her home or its a ploy to game the system.

creeper1 wrote: »
    The fact that children are involved makes all the difference. With children involved, and this is also the case with Margaret Cash, solutions may be found and sympathy given for their plight.

Which leads to more kids, which leads to more people like this, etc etc etc...

Now, that's interesting. Why would her mother throw them out? Either something she couldn't stand was happening in her home or its a ploy to game the system.

Exactly. My parents would move heaven and earth to help me if i found myself in that situation.
    But i guess 'pregnant mother of two living in mother's boxroom' doesn't have the same ring to it as 'pregnant mother of two forced to squat in vacant council house'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's people like this who add fuel to the notion that the housing crisis is fake news and a disservice to working people who are forced to put up and shut up. It's an obvious attempt to curry favour using kids as leverage.

Can't they interview genuine people who can't find a house of their own and not chancers? You know the working class that actually work and don't have clown car vaginas? Oh yeah because it doesn't make for exciting, or should I say divisive, tv or radio.

• Advertisement

jo2509 wrote: »
    Exactly. My parents would move heaven and earth to help me if i found myself in that situation.
    But i guess 'pregnant mother of two living in mother's boxroom' doesn't have the same ring to it as 'pregnant mother of two forced to squat in vacant council house'.

Maybe the mother got sick of all their riding under her roof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

lmao, **** this life if they get a free house without working, meanwhile I am forced to pay most of my paycheck for rent... Need to find myself a girl and do the same I guess!

Maybe the mother got sick of all their riding under her roof?

LOL that too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

<SNIP>

Unproven information. Please stick to what is publicly available.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

gibgodsman wrote: »

dudara

That's fairly damning, if true.

gibgodsman wrote: »

dudara

I think deep down, we knew that.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's fairly damning, if true.

He goes by the name of <SNIP>, ask anyone around the Blanchardstown Area, where he original came from, about that name and they will be able to tell you a story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd love a bit of speaking time in the Dail right now to call out this bull****. I would lump them in with the likes of Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell who think they are a few rungs above in class. They are all the same type of people. Absolute leeches on Irish society, hands in dipped in the hardworking taxpayers pockets.

It annoys me so much. The age of 30-35 is a critical juncture for most people. Many have completed university, began there careers and yet find themselves either renting at extornionate rates or stuck living at home with mammy as life passes them by. For many the boat will sail quickly and they will be stuck at home forever unable to get a mortgage or have that family they yearn for.

Its ****ing depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

They have us over a barrel because of the children. Imo this business whereby we enable them to stay dependant and they have as good a life as many by staying dependant can't be fixed without totally hardening of hearts and minds over the issue of homeless children. But you can't really have children on the streets, can you.

• Advertisement

<SNIP>
    Discussing mod action in thread is not allowed. Please contact the mod directly if you wish to discuss further.

dudara

Advertisement