Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family forced to squat in house....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

Mrsmum wrote: »
    They have us over a barrel because of the children. Imo this business whereby we enable them to stay dependant and they have as good a life as many by staying dependant can't be fixed without totally hardening of hearts and minds over the issue of homeless children. But you can't really have children on the streets, can you.

Exactly. This girl is what 21? And has been on the housing list for 3 years. So presumably she never had any intention of going out and doing a day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

jo2509 wrote: »
    Exactly. This girl is what 21? And has been on the housing list for 3 years. So presumably she never had any intention of going out and doing a day's work.

It will have been part of her families teachings. She won't be the first generation to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I read something interesting yesterday about a girl from a very disadvantaged area who recently graduated from TCD; she was a bright kid (clearly) who, when she sat down with her career guidance counselor, was advised to apply for a beauty or massage course in the local PLC college. This is before she'd sat her LC and when she'd expressed an interest in a university education.

What hope do these kids have if *this* is what they're being told to aim for? Surely the only way out of this vicious cycle is to tell these kids that they can achieve so much more if they set themselves to it. This disdain for education and bettering oneself has to stop, or we'll have an entire class of layabout scummers with zero respect for themselves or anyone else.

When I was in 3rd year in school which was about 10years ago now. The guidance counselor asked me what I was interested in.
    I wanted to be a solicitor (at the time). Straight away she said I wasn't doing enough higher level subjects and I'd have to pick something else.
    I mean the thing I wanted to be when I grew up was shot down straight away and tough **** you gotta do something else.
    Rather then help me in finding a way to become one or study harder she just erased it from my future.

I'm sorta thankful for it now as I have no interest in it anymore I'm studying computers but I wonder would my life be much different if she didn't shatter my dream job at the time.

She still works in the school....

Maybe the mother got sick of all their riding under her roof?

Wash your mouth out. They were all immaculate conceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sleepy_storm

gctest50 wrote: »
    instead of a pair of methadone junkies who just might make it but in reality will probably wreck the place:

Methadone Junkies? PLEASE do some basic research on addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If someone is being 'treated' with Methadone for over 3 years they need to be put on an uninhabitated island off our shores for 6 months with nothing but beans and water to treat them, otherwise it's a bloody joke use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sleepy_storm

retalivity wrote: »
    Cyra and levi.

They should be struck of the list for that travesty alone.

Cyra is a girl's name of Persian origin meaning "sun or throne, or lord".

Levi is a boy's name, from the Biblical Hebrew for "joined in harmony."

Beautiful names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Junkies that are now on methadone, that better ?

You should have copy/pasted in how much that costs:

https://www.herald.ie/news/3300-hero...-31068636.html

Sources estimate that running the methadone programme for the last 20 years could cost up to €200 million

Currently it is running at almost €20m a year

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

Whether we like it or not these people are the future of Ireland. I am 41 and don't have any kids. I remember a thread were people were discussing parenthood and the theme was "no way, never, why would you do that?"

These people simply have to discover or be made to discover a work ethic. There needs to be some gap and I mean a real meaningful gap between benefits and working a minimum wage job.

It should never be worth someone's while to pump out babys and expect the rest of society to pick up the tab for that.

Is this a modern phenomenon by the way? The Irish would all emigrate in the 1980s. Was there a nice and handsome payout for those on the dole in the 1980s?

Or has there been some fundamental shift in Irish culture?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This sums it up pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Levi is an absolutely disgusting name.

Anyway, yep, just one of those horrible stories yet again that make working peoples blood boil.

'Sur im on da labour n im entitled to me house n me medical card, am gowen nowhare'

Irish people giving out about 'not helping our own' when it comes to housing, yet half our Irish are homeless because they couldnt even keep up rent payments on an already almost free council house. (decided not to as no consequences until its too late)

Of course other people should get a chance at some help.

M

Levi is an absolutely disgusting name.

Anyway, yep, just one of those horrible stories yet again that make working peoples blood boil.

'Sur im on da labour n im entitled to me house n me medical card, am gowen nowhare'

Irish people giving out about 'not helping our own' when it comes to housing, yet half our Irish are homeless because they couldnt even keep up rent payments on an already almost free council house. (decided not to as no consequences until its too late)

Of course other people should get a chance at some help.

Could the homeless couple not have given their kids they built created when they were homeless ordinary names or did they expect them to be career fookwit dolites like themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homeless-family-of-nine-placed-in-three-hotels-in-three-counties-in-one-week-1.3939777

Another story similar to the OPs. In this day in age who can afford to have 7 kids?

It is said only the very rich or the very poor.

M

creeper1 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homeless-family-of-nine-placed-in-three-hotels-in-three-counties-in-one-week-1.3939777

Another story similar to the OPs. In this day in age who can afford to have 7 kids?

It is said only the very rich or the very poor.

Nobody will question having 7 kids with zero responsiblities as to how you provide for them, we need people to stand ta'fook up and question this wreckless lifestyle choice.

In this day in age who can afford to have 7 kids?

People from the lifelong dole class, knackers and RTE presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Had the snip after our second child as it was all we could really afford but i would never question anyone else's choice when it comes to having kids. That said i think i would support and consider voting for a political party who considered capping child support after the third child IF they also supported a massive state investment in social and affordable housing for our citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It should never be worth someone's while to pump out babys and expect the rest of society to pick up the tab for that.
    Is this a modern phenomenon by the way? The Irish would all emigrate in the 1980s. Was there a nice and handsome payout for those on the dole in the 1980s?
    Or has there been some fundamental shift in Irish culture?

Yes, there has been a shift. But it came back in 1973 when the Unmarried Mothers Allowance and other related supports came in. Before that we had family adoptions, mother & baby homes, foreign adoptions, abortions back street and in England and all the rest of the baggage that has been dragged out into the light over the past several years.

The alternative to the current system of a reasonable level of supports is to go back to the 'old system' and no one would accept that. So we are stuck with it and it's a logical life choice for many young couples and women who don't have great job hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

gctest50 wrote: »
    No, no, easy mistake to make though -

it marks where one of the five children burned to death*

That was their favourite toy, that little green car

(*because someone wouldn't buy an electronic deep fat fryer)

The children died because their parents got drunk while they were in their care, decided to cook a meal, were too drunk to supervise the cooker, and the accommodation went on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On the initial case of the 2 squatters, she is so obviously lying in her story.

I heard her get interviewed the other day. She said she was at her mums but they fell out and weren't speaking.

Later she was asked how she was getting rid of her rubbish when she had no bin service? She said it was grand cos her mum was allowing her to use her bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes, there has been a shift. But it came back in 1973 when the Unmarried Mothers Allowance and other related supports came in. Before that we had family adoptions, mother & baby homes, foreign adoptions, abortions back street and in England and all the rest of the baggage that has been dragged out into the light over the past several years.

The alternative to the current system of a reasonable level of supports is to go back to the 'old system' and no one would accept that. So we are stuck with it and it's a logical life choice for many young couples and women who don't have great job hopes.

No. The alternative is to offer financial support for a max of 7 years for the first two children of a parent/parents who have made less then 260 PRSI contributions. Disability Allowance recipients are excluded from this.
    No further financial assistance except for Child Benefit will be forthcoming after the second child’s 7th birthday.
    There will be no financial assistance whatsoever for subsequent children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So we are stuck with it and it's a logical life choice for many young couples and women who don't have great job hopes.

Some of them (not all) have great job hopes. They hope never to get a job and are supported in this hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

john4321 wrote: »

"I don't care what they give me, I just WANT something"

"Its bad that you have to go Court for these type of these things, THEY should GIVE ME something, instead of going so far over a house"

FFS. The unbelievable expectations of certain groups of society needs to be nipped in the bud fairly sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

splinter65 wrote: »
    No. The alternative is to offer financial support for a max of 7 years for the first two children of a parent/parents who have made less then 260 PRSI contributions. Disability Allowance recipients are excluded from this.
    No further financial assistance except for Child Benefit will be forthcoming after the second child’s 7th birthday.
    There will be no financial assistance whatsoever for subsequent children.

Maybe but that's not the system that's in place. Citizens will look at whatever schemes/ rules apply and then try to fit them.

This applies just as much to people with income who'll exploit all manner of taxation reliefs as to those who maximise their take from the social welfare system.

She said in the interview she is 3 months pregnant and has a 3 month old Son. Is that even possible?

Maybe but that's not the system that's in place. Citizens will look at whatever schemes/ rules apply and then try to fit them.

This applies just as much to people with income who'll exploit all manner of taxation reliefs as to those who maximise their take from the social welfare system.

That is true but there's a difference in someone getting everything for nothing and someone getting the odd tax break.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

john4321 wrote: »
    She said in the interview she is 3 months pregnant and has a 3 month old Son. Is that even possible?
    So the moment one popped out, they tried for another one.

the_syco wrote: »
    So the moment one popped out, they tried for another one.

Must have still been in the hospital.

And they say money can't buy you love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

Honestly, i'm sitting here in working wondering why i bother.

I'm pregnant with my first, due in January. I work full time as does my partner. We both own our own homes which we have worked hard for. Even so, i'm feeling guilty about going on our (planned and booked before the baby news) holiday next month because i'm mentally totting up how much unpaid maternity leave i'll be able to take while still paying the mortgage and bills. Never mind all the other paraphernalia that comes with a newborn.

Then you have scroungers like this just being handed everything. And i've no doubt the likes of Peter McVery or some PBP twat will intervene and ensure these poor craturs get to stay in the house.

Advertisement