Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Action Plan

• 17-06-2019 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Well, it's here.
    And it's going to hit every one of us.

Some snippets from the measures announced today, of which there are 180 actions in the plan:
    • ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2030
    • oil boilers will not be installed in new builds from 2022, and gas boilers from 2025
    • one million electric cars by 2030
    • 500,000 retrofitted homes
    • move to 70% renewable electricity by 2030
    There will be a new government governance structure to drive this.
    And there will be a new very powerful Oireachtas department to make sure that this plan happens.

Failure to implement these policies to meet the legally binding EU targets could result in a cost to the Exchequer of up to €1.75 billion over the next decade.

Petrol, diesel, oil, heating oil, coal etc. will be more expensive for us.
    Is it all worth it?
    Is is sufficient?
    And what about the likes of countries like India: will the 1.339 Billion people living in that country make the same sacrifices as us here in Ireland?
    Will carbon taxes be really ring fenced?

Lots of questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Needs more of the carrot than the stick initially and the governance thing is essential. Good in principle and some clear targets but we'll see.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Solar Panels powering your heat pump. Probably cheap electric cars by then too.

Everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ireland… there’s a million cows farting in this field. We need to do our bit.

Takes one cow out

Job done…

Absolutely laughable. As if Ireland lives in its own bubble. Climate change. The environment. Pollution. It’s a global issue that needs a global initiative. And the big polluters need to really start doing the heavy lifting and making the hard choices for out entire planet.

Every country doing piecemeal will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Unimaginative. This could be done in a much shorter time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It will all be pointless unless the whole world does it. But I guess we have to start somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So no ICE cars by 2030. Lots of motor related taxes lost so .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

An ambitious and progressive plan on an extremely important topic. Plenty of challenges there to be overcome, but it’s an acknowledgment that change is needed and sets out how we can achieve our targets within agreed timeframes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

What we do is essentially pointless unless China,India and USA follow suit and almost certainly they won't.

Still doesn't mean we shouldn't have a greener country but it's all a waste of time when the big countries causing most of the problems don't give a ****.

Also surely there need to be policies to start reducing the worlds population all of the environmental problems stem from over consumption which stems from too many people being on the planet.The best thing a person can actually do for the environment is to not have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Kivaro wrote: »
    And what about the likes of countries like India: will the 1.339 Billion people living in that country make the same sacrifices as us here in Ireland?

On this one, would be kind of obscene to start with talk of sacrifices given the wealth per person differential involved. I'm not sure what sacrifices we've been making so far. Any "plan" could end up being a load of blather anyway. Ireland is very good at talk, but not so good at action and implementation.

Birth rates are falling but probably not fast enough + if India and China both follow the development path the rich countries have taken to the end it will ruin the environment. What does it say if rich countries won't sacrifice at all trying to avoid that catastrophe?

Also on argument made that we are too small to make any difference and therefore should do nothing that causes any pain, the little countries of the EU when put together as a collective do add up.

Ultimately it depends on the actions of US/China/India but you've got to be the change you want to see and all that. Better that throwing your hands up and crying "a curse on all your houses" IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So no ICE cars by 2030. Lots of motor related taxes lost so .
    LPT will go up

• Advertisement

• but look has anybody asked greta yet how she feeeeeels about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It will all be pointless unless the whole world does it. But I guess we have to start somewhere.

How is a cleaner Ireland not a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The idea that we could be anywhere close to 100% of cars electric by 2030 is insanity. They are simply affordable for the majority of people right now and that's not going to change enou7gh in 10 years for anything close to 100% of cars.

The lack of any real agriculture proposals regarding emissions just proves the claim this is all about the upcoming election and nothing more.

VinLieger wrote: »
    The idea that we could be anywhere close to 100% of cars electric by 2030 is insanity. They are simply affordable for the majority of people right now and that's not going to change enou7gh in 10 years for anything close to 100% of cars.

The lack of any real agriculture proposals regarding emissions just proves the claim this is all about the upcoming election and nothing more.

I don't think they have the balls to say we need less cows and a more diverse countryside.
    Anyway all this electric car stuff is nonsense, we should be moving away from private car ownership where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

How much?

An ambitious and progressive plan on an extremely important topic.

Naturally, as it was devised by a party close to your heart. With FG having recently taken a dive in the polls, the timing of this announcement is most convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The majority of cows here are grass fed, they're basically carbon neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I assume we will see an end to the government jet, and no more Business Class flights for Public so-called Workers.

BC flights have a 50% higher Carbon footprint.

The majority of cows here are grass fed, they're basically carbon neutral.
    The environmental group said a recent United Nations report found Ireland to be the “most carbon-intensive beef producer in Europe”, the committee heard.

“Commercial interests in these industries continue to rely on older research, which had a much narrower scope, to express their ‘green’ credentials,” Mr Lumley said.

An Taisce and the UN disagree

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-agriculture-greenwashing-its-climate-impact-an-taisce-1.3855084

Oh God I can see where this thread is going to go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Well I'm cutting surplus amounts of turf for as long as I can. Will build an extra big shed too I think. Pricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Leo needs a good slapping, I'd do it but I don't want to get my hands dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

As long as people are happy enough to accept that carbon taxes will make goods and services go through the roof. Trucks doing about 8mpg to deliver food to shops, taxi's , buses, services where people have to drive to fix things like boilers, plumbers etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

I hear a lot that Irelands contribution to global warming accounts for one tenth of one percent of global carbon emissions (can anyone confirm?)

So Irish people will be delighted to know that the massive price rises and enormous rises in living expenses that are coming will not make the slightest bit of difference to helping the global warming problem

I hear a lot that Irelands contribution to global warming accounts for one tenth of one percent of global carbon emissions (can anyone confirm?)

So Irish people will be delighted to know that the massive price rises and enormous rises in living expenses that are coming will not make the slightest bit of difference to helping the global warming problem

The mind boggles. You do know that per person we pollute far more than Chinese people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

An Taisce and the UN disagree

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-agriculture-greenwashing-its-climate-impact-an-taisce-1.3855084

Oh God I can see where this thread is going to go...

Expect the Queslings to sacrifice another Irish industry so, just like Irish sugar, on the alter of international free trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People will be happy with new green measures provided other people (not themselves) will pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Expect the Queslings to sacrifice another Irish industry so, just like Irish sugar, on the alter of international free trade.

Farmers got thrown some crumbs to keep them quiet and the movers and shakers got nice big wodges of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No mention of fining companies that use excessive amounts of plastic in packaging. Or putting tariffs on goods that come from major polluting countries.

Now that would make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

The mind boggles. You do know that per person we pollute far more than Chinese people?

We do, but they have 300 times our population and that is the bigger problem.

There are far too many people on the planet and nobody is going to have the balls to say this is what we need to be cutting.

I'm not suggesting a cull but governments all across the world are going to have to find some way of stopping people from having too many children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Alena Loud Tantrum

Will cost less in the long run as you become energy independent

Advertisement