Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Action Plan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes. We contribute 0.13% of global emissions.

These are carbon taxes on a country that produces a tenth of 1 percent of the emissions. A total waste of time that will push people into poverty.
    FG do not care about poor people. The green party do not care about poor people. And it looks like Irish people don't care about poor people.
    We are 0.06% of the world’s population so 0.13% of the emissions is far too high

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We are 0.06% of the world’s population so 0.13% of the emissions is far too high

Leo has put his plan in place .The train has left the station. It can't be stopped. So you have gotten your wish.
    Carbon taxes are here to stay. The 8% who voted for the greens won.

I can complain and argue it but there is no point. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

El_Bee wrote: »
    The BRIC's and Pakistan as well as developing African nations like Nigeria will wipe their arses with any demands to change.
    If other nations recognize climate change as a primary national security threat they can respond accordingly and force them to follow suit.... As well as incentivizing them to of course

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

If other nations recognize climate change as a primary national security threat they can respond accordingly and force them to follow suit.

No one is forcing China, India and Pakistan into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Agree with all that but the problem is it could well be too late before all that happens, realistically there should have been efforts made to control population 50 years ago when it was becoming apparent we were all having such a negative effect on the planet.

Everyone in the world should be aiming to consume less live a greener life but not having such a big population in the first place would help all efforts in that regard.

“Everyone in the world should be aiming to consume less.” ?

What absolute first world centric bollocks. Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Thanks to all you idiots who voted to tax people who are already struggling. Taxing people barely getting by just to save the planet for generations ahead. Pain now, gain later. Cheers. I really appreciate it.

How about instead of pouring misery on people already just trying to get by, how about we restrict population growth? But nooooo...of course we couldn't do that!

Let's just increase energy ratings in houses again and prop prices up by another 10% and have this generation be the lost generation.

How about thinking long term and stopping the number of people on the planet growing and allowing them to keep the same quality of life instead of more people with a ****tier standard of living???

Thanks to all you idiots who voted to tax people who are already struggling. Taxing people barely getting by just to save the planet for generations ahead. Pain now, gain later. Cheers. I really appreciate it.

How about instead of pouring misery on people already just trying to get by, how about we restrict population growth? But nooooo...of course we couldn't do that!

Let's just increase energy ratings in houses again and prop prices up by another 10% and have this generation be the lost generation.

How about thinking long term and stopping the number of people on the planet growing and allowing them to keep the same quality of life instead of more people with a ****tier standard of living???

I saw Mary-Lou walking in Sallins on Sunday- was she wearing plastic soles? Nearly sure she was.

What about the plastic balls she'll generate?

As a friend of mine used to say:

Le Plastique, c'est fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What absolute first world centric bollocks.Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

I assume you've massively cut the amount you consume in solidarity with the worlds poor.

There are too many people on the planet.

Why has Ethiopia's population Skyrocketed in the last 50 years despite there being numerous famines over the same period, it's completely illogical and yet nobody wants to point that out that if there were population controls put in place across the world the entire world would be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd be all for that but it wont happen because it goes against the world order of economic growth. Plus this would also mean pouring misery on the population as we'd probably all have less stuff, smaller pensions, less people to look after us for a while. We'd need to take it on the chin for a while, big deal.
    However the only thing that will be decreasing population is either natural disaster, possibly from climate change, or war and famine, as resources become even more depleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Be funny if we all live carbon free in 50 years all happy hugging the trees and a nuclear war breaks out and wipes is all off the planet.

The biggest threat to the planet is nuclear missiles but yeah let’s blame paddy and tax him more and let the superpowers edge us closer to nuclear Armageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

FG's stated policy is to increase the nations population by 1 million by 2040 or was it 2030?? Either way we are going to be absolutely screwed here in a few short years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

FG's stated policy is to increase the nations population by 1 million by 2040 or was it 2030?? Either way we are going to be absolutely screwed here in a few short years.

The greens are now apparently shouting for FG to drop Varadkar's wonderful vision for growing the tax base through increasing the population via immigration

With all these lovely new taxes coming on stream - probably won't have to do that now ...

What I'd like to know is if there are to be zero carbon emissions - what exactly are all these new houses to be built of?

Concrete has very high levels of CO2 emissions
    So no concrete then

Timber is also out - as once trees are felled- the carbon they have absorbed is released.

Guess we will have to just go back living in caves - it's going to get pretty crowded in there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What absolute first world centric bollocks.Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

I assume you've massively cut the amount you consume in solidarity with the worlds poor.

There are too many people on the planet.

Why has Ethiopia's population Skyrocketed in the last 50 years despite there being numerous famines over the same period, it's completely illogical and yet nobody wants to point that out that if there were population controls put in place across the world the entire world would be better off.

You are wrong to assume that, just as it is wrong and cringeworthy to call on people who earn the price of a newspaper a day to cut their consumption.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nice plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The winners and losers have already been decided and the fines are to be levied on the general taxpayer.

Climate emergency is simply the new euphemism for more taxes.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Climate emergency is simply the new euphemism for more taxes.

Unfortunately, I suspect you could be right, with the result being, not much climate action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A country desperate for pats in the back and screw their own citizens to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

gozunda wrote: »
    The greens are now apparently shouting for FG to drop Varadkar's wonderful vision for growing the tax base through increasing the population via immigration

With all these lovely new taxes coming on stream - probably won't have to do that now ...

What I'd like to know is if there are to be zero carbon emissions - what exactly are all these new houses to be built of?

Concrete has very high levels of CO2 emissions
    So no concrete then

Timber is also out - as once trees are felled- the carbon they have absorbed is released.

Guess we will have to just go back living in caves - it's going to get pretty crowded in there ...

New caves with communal kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

At the polling station what are the alternatives to this pie-in-the-sky Fine Gael vanity project,.......I’ll be looking to cast my ballot elsewhere,they’re talking like this is a done-deal but they’ll be in for a land come the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Are you familiar with the phrase might as well be throwing a cocktail sausage down O'Connell Street.

Countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_world_map_deobfuscated.png

An increase of 75% carbon tax on fossil fuels already being spoken about for October's budget.
    It has begun. Spare a thought for the elderly who will be forced to choose between food or fuel this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

It would be nice to see something meaningful kicked off rather than building these stupid and ineffective wind mills everywhere- something like this.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-1-5bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

Retrofit grant aided projects means simply the price of stuff is doubled or tripled in some cases.

As an FG voter I can safely say never again will they get a vote from me. Worthless crew. As for the shambles that is the greens - a vote for them is a massive endorsement for for hand wringing virtue signaling on a national scale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

riddles wrote: »

As an FG voter I can safely say never again will they get a vote from me. Worthless crew. As for the shambles that is the greens - a vote for them is a massive endorsement for for hand wringing virtue signaling on a national scale.

Meh, they're all the same. All of any Irish government's plans EVER to combat 'issues' are centred around taxation. Sometimes they even double or even treble it up (see VAT, motor tax and carbon tax).

It's always been this way for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I heard Hildegarde Naughton on Matt Cooper last night banging on about how brilliant Richard Brutal was at delivering plans. It was quite frustrating to listen to. The plans do not seem achievable without significant government financial backing. The ordinary taxpayer will not be able to sustain it.

If all FG got out of Local Election results was that we want to be a Greener Society, then they are suffering with Evil Queen syndrome in which they are listening to their programme managers and special advisors too much .

Or its just pure arrogance taking an anti gov vote in which the Greens were the most forgivable out of the whole bunch, to push even more taxes. Its like a re-run of the mid 80s when Dukes et al made a mess of everything.

Eitherway they will get their answer at the ballot boxes at the inevitable and looming general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sandyxxx wrote: »
    At the polling station what are the alternatives to this pie-in-the-sky Fine Gael vanity project,.......I’ll be looking to cast my ballot elsewhere,they’re talking like this is a done-deal but they’ll be in for a land come the next GE.

will they? i suspect not really
    riddles wrote: »
    It would be nice to see something meaningful kicked off rather than building these stupid and ineffective wind mills everywhere- something like this.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-1-5bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

Retrofit grant aided projects means simply the price of stuff is doubled or tripled in some cases.

i like virtue signalling of trying to look after the planet for future generations

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

STB. wrote: »
    I heard Hildegarde Naughton on Matt Cooper last night banging on about how brilliant Richard Brutal was at delivering plans last night. It was quite frustrating to listen to. The plans do not seem achievable without significant government financial backing. The ordinary taxpayer will not be able to sustain it.

If all FG got out of Local Election results was that we want to be a Greener Society, then they are suffering with Evil Queen syndrome in which they are listening to their programme managers and special advisors too much .

Or its just pure arrogance taking an anti gov vote in which the Greens were the most forgivable out of the whole bunch, to push even more taxes.

Eitherway they will get their answer at the ballot boxes at the inevitable and looming general election.

The more worrying thing for me is that people will see FF as a decent alternative, completely disregarding their recent history :(

I myself am becoming much more anti-FG but can't fathom voting for that other shower either

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lofidelity

Ban smoky coal nationwide from 2020.

Start with the low hanging fruit. A simple idea that wont cost consumers any money and will improve the air in regional towns in winter.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    will they? i suspect not really

i like virtue signalling of trying to look after the planet for future generations

So you keep saying. The plan put forward by fine Gael will never come to pass. Basic infrastructure projects in this country never run smoothly or on time or budget. Some just get cancelled altogether

Not a hope of any real change. Apart from taxation of course. That is all they know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Its laughable...Ireland is so small and inconsequential that id guess the 100th biggest city in outer China would have more emmissions

This is a misguised virtue feulled red herring for taxing the bollix out of us

We should be on board at some stage but not leading the pack

Advertisement