Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Long post warning. Just a log of what I've been doing. I'll keep the moaning to a minimum.

Summary:
    • Week 17 - 21 were 4 bad weeks
    • Week 22 - 23 Not fit for a lot but try to get back at it.
    • Week 24 (Apr 29th) onwards. Starting to feel myslef again

Week 16
    • 04 Mar 2019 - 5.5 km easy (3.5 km on grass) - 25 minutes
    • 05 Mar 2019 - 8 x 400s cross country (approx 1.5 to 2 min recovery). Followed by 6 x 100 m hill sprints. No mile race at NIA. This was football training that was moved to the fields because of weather. Felt washed out after this; weekend catching up.
    • 08 Mar 2019 - 4.65 km moderate/hard last 200 m - 17:09. Needed the couple of days recovery beforehand and felt as though a cold was coming on yesterday, luckily it looks now like I was just a little run down after the weekend.
    • 09 Mar 2019 - Footbal game. Dying afterwards

Week 17
    Blank week

Week 18
    • 19 Mar 2019 - Football training. First Exercise in a while
    • 22 Mar 2019 - 5.75 km on grass. Easy to Moderate
    • 24 Mar 2019 - Football training Followed by a head cold

Week 19
    Blank week

Week 20
    • 02 April 2019 - Football training Dizziness subsides when up and going
    • 04 April 2019 - 3.5 km un-timed. Very easy
    • 07 April 2019 - 2 x 1 kms at 4 min/km on grass with 5 minute recovery. 6.5 km total running

Week 21
    • 09 April 2019 - 2 x 1 kms at 4 min/km on grass. 6.5 km total running
      Run at lunchtime. Football training in the evening
    • 11 April 2019 - 5 km easy 20:40
    • 13 April 2019 - 4.65 km very easy 20:00

Week 22
    • 15 April 2019 - 4.65 km moderate 18:08
    • 16 April 2019 - Football training
    • 18 April 2019 - Football training
    • 20 April 2019 - Football match

Week 23
    • 28 April 2019 - 3 kms on grass moderate (4:17, 4:25, 3:56). 5.5 kms total Over a week since last exercise

Week 24
    • 29 April 2019 - 6.5 km on grass. Moderate.
    • 30 April 2019 - Football training
    • 02 May 2019 - Football match
    • 04 May 2019 - Intervals. 14 x 40 secs hard with 30 seconds recovery

Week 25
    • 07 May 2019 - Football training
    • 08 May 2019 - Football match
    • 10 May 2019 - 6.5 km steady on grass - 28 mins
    • 12 May 2019 - Intervals. 12 x 40 secs hard with 30 seconds recovery

Week 26
    • 14 May 2019 - Football training
    • 15 May 2019 - Long run. 9 kms - 37:40
    • 17 May 2019 - Football match

Week 27
    • 20 May 2019 - 3.6 km moderate - 13:43
    • 22 May 2019 - 10 x 236 m hills (43-45 sec per hill. 1:20 recovery)
    • 23 May 2019 - Long run. 9 kms - 36:24
    • 25 May 2019 - 3 x 1 km moderate/hard on grass. 3:56/km, 2 min rest. Total distance 6.5 km

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This is interesting. I really think you should try a race or two just to get some experience before you really go for the attempt. It takes a little while to get used to the track and the atmosphere. That 10x400 a while back was very impressive, maybe should have pressed the race button around that time.

Yep. Nail on the head there. I'm trying not to be too harsh on myself for not seizing the day when I was in better shape but really should have. Wasn't expecting to hit a wall back then but the same can be said of injuries.

I'll check out of there are any mile races over the coming weeks. I understand I need to be a club member for some.

5k in Trim first. As 5ks go I believe it's not one for posting a good time. But a good few of the football team are doing too so I might as well.

Week 28
    • 26 May 2019 - 4.35 km easy. 18:15
    • 27 May 2019 - 1 mile trial. 05:15. 4 kms total running
    • 28 May 2019 - 9 km Long run 35:34. Easy with last 1.5 km moderate
    • 30 May 2019 - 14 x (40 secs hard, 30 seconds recovery jog) 6.5 km total
    • 02 June 2019 - Football training

Week 29
    • 04 June 2019 - 5.5 kms easy on grass . 23 minutes
    • 05 June 2019 - 10 x 270 m hills at moderate effort. 1 minute per hill. 1:15 back down. Total distance over workout - 9 km. Workout time - 40 minutes
    • 07 June 2019 - 9 km Long run moderate - 35:09 mins. Wanted a relatively hard run the week before Braveheart run. Went out swiftly enough but found the sun a bit more draining. No kick to finish the last km.

I'm finding the energy levels still aren't quite back to where they were in March just yet. Even doing the hills I only felt up for moderate effort as opposed to hard, so I just lengthened the hills but happy to complete the set in consistent times.

Braveheart 5k run this week. I haven't run a race since 2007 and before that 1999 so I've no pre-race week plan or routine.

• Advertisement

Friday 14 June 2019

So I did my first race in 12 years. Might as well report how it went. Went into this with a head cold that I couldn't shake over the previous few days. Damn Irish Summer with the kids sniffing too it's almost unavoidable.

Earlier in the day I wasn't sure I'd bother due to the way I was feeling but I figured I needed to get that race monkey off my back one way or the other. No previous times to set it against, I was looking to see how my teammates did last year and gauge myself off that. I wasn't going to take it too serious and I'd be happy with a sub 20 time.

An hour and a half before the start time I had a can of red bull, something I've done for football matches when trying to play through a cold. Jogged down to the event from home as part of my warm up. No strides or sprints, just a gentle jog. Didn't feel much energy but knew once I was up and running I'd be grand at least.

So the goal was simple, without taxing my brain too much, if I could run every km under 4 minutes then I'd be under 20 at the finish.

The race
    Took my place at the back of the sub 20 group which was the first graded group.
    1st km - The race starts on an uphill section of field. I had started in the middle at the back of the sub 20 group and found myself drifting right to the outside as I passed between 1-2 dozen other runners. I didn't feel I was running to fast and felt comfortable. The uphill lasts about 150 m before it becomes downhill for the rest of the 1st km. After the first bend I tucked in behind an energetic looking lady and kept pace with her all the way down to the river.

2nd km - From the river heading back up the field the course turned to track and grass. Some chose to stay on the grass and I slowly passed them out before they realised they'd be better on the track too. I was starting to let the lady fried go at this stage. As I crested the hill halfway through this km I had a look up into the distance to see the lead runners astonished at the size of a gap that they could open up in just 1.5 kms. I was feeling good enough myself with the assured footing of the track underneath my feet.

Remembered my watch and clocked in the first 2 kms in 7:16. Sounded go to me anyway.

3rd and 4th km - Not too much jostling for places here. There was a group of about 8 of us running in almost single file for most of km 3. I noted local politician Ronan Moore passing me at this stage. He was shorter and much leaner than I expected and seemed to be very comfortable as he eased passed a few of us. The track turned back to grass during this stretch and becomes a long drag. Not knowing the course wasn't continuing as track I'd just made a burst to squeeze by a couple of lads who were slowing me down slightly. Then almost immediately hit the soft grass again and could instantly feel the energy in my legs dwindle. I started cussing my headcold as I didn't feel I'd been tipping along too fast beforehand but maybe I was - it was my first race in a while. I contemplated dropping out as I wasn't feeling too good. (I'd been researching racing with a cold earlier with one article saying "don't be disappointed if you don't finish). I decided instead to take the foot off a bit and see how I get on. I think around 5 or so passed me by. I was just thinking I want something in me for a good finish.

Before complete the 4th km it finishes with a long uphill section and more solid ground. I manged to close up again on the people in front. We were also coming back into the crowds which gave me a little lift.

Incidentally - km 3 was 3:33. I missed km 4.

5th km - Zig-zag through the field. Downhill and then uphill again. I got into a good rhythm though and passed one guy. The field was fairly spread out by now. Made a burst uphill for the finish and closed a 10-15 m gap on a pair in front of me but they both held on in a 3 way sprint.

kms 4 and 5 were done in 7:57 So avg of 3:58 but I suspect the 4th kms was 4:20s with the last km in around 3:40.

Final chip time was 18:47 so more than happy with that and now have an official 5 km PB.

Now back to my mile, although I might throw a Parkrun somewhere along the way to try and better that 5 km time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Nice racing, sounded like tough enough course as well. Have you picked out any mile races yet?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Nice racing, sounded like tough enough course as well. Have you picked out any mile races yet?

Thanks. If I'm not away at the time and have no match I'm aiming for the day of Irish PBs on July 14th. I'm not aware of any other races that might suit.

I've registered for it anyway and will try and squeeze in a bit more tempo work in the next 3 or so weeks.

Anyway, the week that was -

Week 30
    • 11 June - 4.65 km moderateEnergy levels still not back to early March levels but still much improved on April where I'd struggle to run this comfortably under 18 mins
    • 12 June - Football match
    • 13 June - Pre-race shake out - 22 minute3 jog. Covered around 4.5 km
    • 14 June - 5 km trail Race - hard - 18:47

Bruised (don't think I fractured) my ribs playing a football match last week. It knocked me for six initally but I played on and wasn't too bad until the following day really. Can't lie on that side now and it hurts when I laugh/sneeze/cough or do any body movements in the wrong direction.

It also hurts when I run initially also but is not noticeable after the two or so minutes so I intend to train through. Recovery time is typically 3-6 weeks apparently but it looks like I'll be able to train through. It might work out as it means I'll have to take a step back from the football due to the impact and upper body aspect of that.

Anyway:

Week 31
    • 18 June - Football training - Along with a proper gym session with the team. A bit of a gap since the Braveheart run but I was giving myself a few days rest to recover properly from the head cold.
    • 19 June - Intervals - 14 x 40/45 secs Hard with 30 sec recovery. I did the first 4 @40 secs hard then acidently did the 5th at 45 secs so decided to stick with that for teh remainder
    • 21 June - Football match - Bruised ribs from collision. Ouch :(

I'm away next week so I'll update this now

Week 32
    • 25 June - 6.7 km Long run on track and grass - Another gap here as I wasn't fit to run with my ribs for a few days.
    • 26 June - 4.65 km moderate - 17:40. Was hoping for low 17s here but this was less than 24 hours after my run the night before. I appreciate the effects of a poor nights sleep and not giving myself a sufficient rest time but still feel I'm playing catch-up to get back to where I was a couple of months back.
    • 28 June - Tempos. 2 x 5 minutes @ 3:35/km pace with 3 minute recovery - Ran these tempos by feel so didn't know the actual pacing until I checked google maps afterwards. I was basically covering 1.4 kms in the 5 minutes. Now if I could just cover 209 metres further in that time :pac:
    • 29 or 30 June - 6.7 km Long run or a hill session

A productive weeks holidays. Despite having a drink most days with a couple of quite late nights I felt great, even in the mornings.

Week 33
    • 01 July - 10.3 km easy - 42 minutes My right calf started cramping around 25 minutes in so had to ease back a little more at that stage. This was the longest distance I covered in a straight run since 2007.
    • 03 July - Intervals - 14 x 45 seconds hard w / 30 seconds recovery
    • 06 July - 12 x Hills - 39 seconds with 1:10 recovery/rest. 34 secs for last 2
    • 07 July - 6.7 km easy - 31 mins. On track/grass Home again in the late evening. Very tired in the head but I knew the legs could take the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

As well as the Day of PBs, there are paced miles at the Drogheda Irish Milers Meet on Saturday in Lourdes Stadium. The fastest is for runners targeting 5-6 minutes. If there isn't a pacer for these (there will be in all of the other middle-distance races), I'm sure they'd have no trouble finding one! €5 to enter, entries close midnight tomorrow.

It's also an opportunity to see some good middle distance running in the 'a' races.

Not sure what the standard will be at either but you might be able to run on Saturday and Sunday without too much problem if you fancy a couple of shots at it.

After that, there'll be a good field at the final Dublin graded meet (probably Tallaght) 7th August. B & C races will probably finish around 5 mins. You might need to be a member of a club for them but I think they have guests too.

Try and get back to the track when you can as Google Maps isn't ideal for calculating pace! But the 30s-40s hard/easy sessions you've been doing are very good for the mile.

Pretty sure you need to be a club member for Dublin Gradeds, for insurance reasons. Think Ray posted this earlier on this, or another, thread.

they're pretty lax about everything, you walk in, give them your name and tell them what club you run for....

Thanks Sacksian. I don't have a club yet.

The plan is still for this Sunday but I may look at others if I fall just short. If I'm well off the pace then I'll have to try and get some more track work in somehow. It's more awkward these days to fit that in.

I think once the football finishes this year though I'm done with the weekly commitment to it. I think I'll look at joining the local AC. One of the lads off the team expressed a similar interest so it'd be nice if we joined up together.

they're pretty lax about everything, you walk in, give them your name and tell them what club you run for....

Good to know. Thanks. Is there a link to where/when these meets happen?

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

website is a bit messy

What a lovely day and a very well organised event. I'd liked to have spent more time hanging around but I ended up coming without the kids so flew in 10 minutes before the close of registration (40 mins before the race) and tipped off post race fairly sharpish too to get home again.

I did a 2 km warmup, followed by a few strides and dynamic stretches. The sweat was rolling off me the minute I stopped moving.

At the start line before heading off the pacer said he'd be aiming at 75 second laps and would look to make up the shortfall of 9 metres in the first lap so it'd be a little quicker than the others.
    • Lap 1 - I set off, keeping with the pacemaker. One guys blazed ahead of the rest of us. The initial 200 metres were comfortable but I was thinking it was feeling a little too fast for me so I let two guys pass me to take up position on the shoulder of the pacer. As we crossed the line the MC said the pacer was 3 seconds up on target. The board showed 1:12 from what I could see. I was still just behind the pacer. Lap 1 - 1:13:xx.
    • Lap 2 - I didn't look at my watch to check my Lap 1 split but assumed I was already 3 seconds up and probably moving too fast so let the pacer move a little further off. As I completed the lap I didn't look at the clock as I'd no idea in my head of what time I was looking to hit here (I should have and it should have been 2:30) but still felt okay as I passed and was only a couple of seconds behind the pacer I thought. Lap 2 - 1:17:xx.
    • Lap 3 - Hard to explain what happened here exactly. I probably should have checked my watch to see what my pace was after lap 2 but I was too focussed on running. Within the first 100 m of this lap I was passed by a guy in an Edenderry AC singlet. I was finding the going a little tougher here but in my head I was thinking I've less than 2 laps to go and to hang in. The Edenderry runner closed quickly on the leading group (he'd obviously paced his run very well). I let the gap open a little more here as I didn't want to fade badly on the last lap. As I finished the lap I glanced at the clock. 3:50. I was thinking, "so I need a 70 second final lap, can I do that?" Lap 3 - 1:20:xx (Feic)
    • Lap 4 - I gave it a go anyway and kicked hard from the start of the lap. There was a nice lad from Raheny who I was chatting to after the race. He was probably a few seconds ahead of me. He was also passed by the Edenderry lad who then went on to also pass the pacer and another. Great run by him. I was closing the gap all the time right through the line to finish just behind him. Lap 4 - 1:14:xx

Final time: 5:06 PB

It's a PB and 9 seconds up on my road time. I don't know how comparable they are.

I've a bit to chew on. Is sub 5 achievable this year? Did the heat have an affect? Should I have drivin on more on Lap 3; but then would I have been able to close as quickly as I did? Does the pacer shoulder some of the blame for taking us out too quick or should I have known my pace better and not gone with him at the start? Each photo I saw of the race of myself tells me I was not as comfortable as I thought but at least I know I gave it a good belt :pac:

I'm also not as cock sure as I was last November, before I did any research or practiced any training, that I'll manage sub 5 this year. We'll see though.

Would love to crack the 5min myself, tried a few years ago and got it down to 5.05. Have you heard of any other mile races other than the Dublin Graded? Would like to go hard at this once my seasons over

Would love to crack the 5min myself, tried a few years ago and got it down to 5.05. Have you heard of any other mile races other than the Dublin Graded? Would like to go hard at this once my seasons over

Not myself but then I've been using boards as my main source of info. I'm not on FB.

There's a couple of mile events listed here as far away as Kerry:
    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/

Then there's one hosted by Marino AC in October, I've no idea if it's on a track or not but it might be far enough off for you. My next attempt will probably be back on the road in about a month as I don't think running another race so soon will gain me those 7 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

What a lovely day and a very well organised event. I'd liked to have spent more time hanging around but I ended up coming without the kids so flew in 10 minutes before the close of registration (40 mins before the race) and tipped off post race fairly sharpish too to get home again.

I did a 2 km warmup, followed by a few strides and dynamic stretches. The sweat was rolling off me the minute I stopped moving.

At the start line before heading off the pacer said he'd be aiming at 75 second laps and would look to make up the shortfall of 9 metres in the first lap so it'd be a little quicker than the others.
    • Lap 1 - I set off, keeping with the pacemaker. One guys blazed ahead of the rest of us. The initial 200 metres were comfortable but I was thinking it was feeling a little too fast for me so I let two guys pass me to take up position on the shoulder of the pacer. As we crossed the line the MC said the pacer was 3 seconds up on target. The board showed 1:12 from what I could see. I was still just behind the pacer. Lap 1 - 1:13:xx.
    • Lap 2 - I didn't look at my watch to check my Lap 1 split but assumed I was already 3 seconds up and probably moving too fast so let the pacer move a little further off. As I completed the lap I didn't look at the clock as I'd no idea in my head of what time I was looking to hit here (I should have and it should have been 2:30) but still felt okay as I passed and was only a couple of seconds behind the pacer I thought. Lap 2 - 1:17:xx.
    • Lap 3 - Hard to explain what happened here exactly. I probably should have checked my watch to see what my pace was after lap 2 but I was too focussed on running. Within the first 100 m of this lap I was passed by a guy in an Edenderry AC singlet. I was finding the going a little tougher here but in my head I was thinking I've less than 2 laps to go and to hang in. The Edenderry runner closed quickly on the leading group (he'd obviously paced his run very well). I let the gap open a little more here as I didn't want to fade badly on the last lap. As I finished the lap I glanced at the clock. 3:50. I was thinking, "so I need a 70 second final lap, can I do that?" Lap 3 - 1:20:xx (Feic)
    • Lap 4 - I gave it a go anyway and kicked hard from the start of the lap. There was a nice lad from Raheny who I was chatting to after the race. He was probably a few seconds ahead of me. He was also passed by the Edenderry lad who then went on to also pass the pacer and another. Great run by him. I was closing the gap all the time right through the line to finish just behind him. Lap 4 - 1:14:xx

Final time: 5:06 PB

It's a PB and 9 seconds up on my road time. I don't know how comparable they are.

I've a bit to chew on. Is sub 5 achievable this year? Did the heat have an affect? Should I have drivin on more on Lap 3; but then would I have been able to close as quickly as I did? Does the pacer shoulder some of the blame for taking us out too quick or should I have known my pace better and not gone with him at the start? Each photo I saw of the race of myself tells me I was not as comfortable as I thought but at least I know I gave it a good belt :pac:

I'm also not as cock sure as I was last November, before I did any research or practiced any training, that I'll manage sub 5 this year. We'll see though.

Well done, that's a great first go at it and I think there's a chance you could do it in your next race. You *should* see a good improvement from your first go to your second. Forget about the road time. But do have a think about running the 'b' race in the mile in the last Dublin graded meet.

Looking at the splits, you might have lost some time between the 2nd half of the first lap and half-way point. The start is always hot so your first lap is often your fastest and you weren't off the pace at the end of the first lap but if you do consciously ease off, that's hard to manage at mile pace. Generally, the third is the slowest with a bit of a pick-up at the end.

• Advertisement

Congrats, great debut! You'll certainly improve with track practice, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Very close. Well ran. You'll crack that target for absolute sure.

Was trying to guess which one was you yesterday, been following your log with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

That 3rd lap is always the tough one. Keeping concentration and pace there is key to a good time. You can't afford to save something for the last lap when doing a time trial. But the good news is that you know 5 mins is achievable - a slightly cooler day, experience, and digging deep on the 3rd lap and you are there. Don't leave it too long to try again.

Week 34
    • 09 July - Football training. Minding my ribs so avoiding contact in drills. Session included some good runs - 12 x 50m in 10s w/ 10s recovery, including a doubleback at 25m. Also 10 minutes of 50 m hard, 90 m easy. For domestic time juggling reasons I've not made it to football since so it meant I could do a little more running at least.
    • 11 July - 4.5km easy/moderate - 17:43 Was hoping to 17:43. Was hoping for a full medium intensity run here but the legs were definitely still tired from the speed work with the football team 2 days ago.
    • 12 July - 6.7 km easy - 28 mins on grass/track
    • 14 July - Mile race- 05:06 Including a 2 km warm up

Not quite hitting my goal in the mile race I was determined to up it a notch this week. Especially with no football planned for another week at least.

Week 35
    • 15 July - Intervals on grass - 15x45 w/ 30 secs recovery Total distance including including warm-up/down 7.5 km. Hard pace approximately: 5 - 5:15 mile pace I think (again using google maps :o ) I know I should really check these distances properly. Without getting a chance to visit a track I'll struggle to quantify these properly. Might treat myself to a fancy watch at Christmas.
    • 16 July - Long run - 9 kms easy - 39:10 Legs v tired from day before. Humid overcast day (21 degrees) but lovely to run easy in.
    • 17 July - 3.5 km - very easy - 16 minsNo problem running slow here.
    • 19 July - Hill progressions 12 reps increasing pace by 2 secs every 2 reps. On track. Bit of of a made up drill but I enjoyed it. Approx 7m incline over 210 metres so not a monster. Reps were [44,45, 43,43, 41,41, 40,39, 36,37, 34,35] off 1:20-1:30 rest. After rep 12 and a 2 minute rest I decided to do a 13th - [32 secs].
    • 20 July - 6.7 km easy - 29 mins Easy run here but after about 12 mins I decided to do a 3 x 2 minute tempos with 2 mins rest in the middle of the run. Felt the legs were tired during the 3rd so didn't kick on as I didn't want to overdo it.

33.7 kms for last week. That's definitely a weekly record.

I only log 3 kms for any day I do football as I've no idea of the distances typically covered.

5 days running last week was a lot for me and I definitely felt it in the legs this week. Championship is back this weekend and I haven't been at football training due to timetable clashes which allowed me to get some good runs in in the last 3 or so weeks.

I'm hopeful I won't be starting Saturday or I could end up regretting putting in a heavy session last night. I borrowed a trundle wheel from work and measured out 400 m on a tarmac track near home. I'd decided to do a long overdue 10 x 400m.

Week 36
    • 22 July - 4.65 km moderate - 17:29
    • 23 July - Long run - 9 kms easy - 39:10 - Very hot running mid afternoon
    • 25 July - 10 x 400s - Very tough workout. It could be cumulative fatigue. I also had to walk half of my 2 km warm down jogging back home. I was carrying the trundle wheel too which probably made the cool down a little more awkward. After the rigmarole of measuring out with the trundle wheel I forgot that I was to start with 90sec recoveries and ended up starting with 60sec, so this is what probably killed me most. After 6 reps I copped on that this may be why I was struggling so much and went back to 90 secs, otherwise the times would have run away further northwards. (Rounding - 75, 73, 74, 76, 75, 75,[back to 1:30 rest] 77, 76, 76, 72)
    • Plan 27 July - Football match
    • Plan 28 July - 6.5 km easy

I've a eye on the Dublin graded meet on August 7th but not confident I'll be able to make it (depends on how the championship pans out among other things I guess), we'll see. If I do register would I be best saying I am part of a club or not?

Small landmark for me too. Using 3 kms for matches and training I decided to work it out.

I passed 500 annual kms last week.

If that 400 session is even close to accurate I would say you're in sub 5 shape. Will you make the last graded meet?

If that 400 session is even close to accurate I would say you're in sub 5 shape. Will you make the last graded meet?

Too early to know for sure but I really hope so.

The last time I did the 400s was March and I feel I handled them better back then (on a running track). Then again my legs were certainly fresher for the March session and I did most of them off 90 secs recovery. My weekly mileage is much higher now too though, hence the fatigue, so I'm hopeful my endurance will be much improved.

As Sacksian said though, I guess I won't know until I race.

The run that started it all was my 4.65 km out-and-back lunchtime route from work. This was the run that had me looking at my minutes per mile pace and was the genesis of my 5 minute mile target.

I had always wanted to complete it in under 17 minutes and finally managed it :)

After a hard couple of weeks following the Day of PBs the week gone by was always going to have a few more rests and easy runs in there.

Week 36
    • 29 July - 9.05 kms - long run, easy/moderate. 37 mins
    • 31 July - 4.65 kms moderate/hard. 16:54. Half the road had been resurfaced since I last ran which probably aided a couple more seconds. Overcast day and legs not tired so I decided I'd have a go at this. I've got 4 splits on this route. The first was over by about 3 seconds but the last 3 splits were all under as I finished hard. Intermediate goal achieved. :D I don't like to be extrapolating too optimistically but I might actually be close to an 18 minute 5 k.
    • 01 Aug - Football training
    • 03 Aug - 10 x 400s off 1 min rest [74, 75, 74, 75, 75, 75, 74, 74, 76, 72] - Wanted another crack at this as I was disappointed last week at how shagged I was doing them. Did my best to pace the first few better. Still a bloody tough workout though but I managed to maintain only the minute rest in between.
    • 04 Aug - 6.7 km easy - 29 mins

So, next round of the Championship is this Thursday I'm going to have to give the graded mile in Dublin a miss.

I'm determined to have a crack at the mile sooner rather than later though so with missing that I might have to borrow the track in Navan and bring along a supporter or two to help me round. I just better not get injured in the meantime.

• Advertisement

I'm new to all this training plan stuff and truth be told still don't have a set training plan in mind myself. I've been letting my body and head guide me for the most part with "what do I feel capable of doing today" being my plan for a lot of days.

Fusitive made a very interesting post here and it's given me pause for reflection.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058004839

I can see I never did any specific base building but have been slowly trying to up my workout distances and durations. As for intense workouts, I've been doing at least 1-2 intense workouts per week for about 13 or 14 weeks since I started feeling healthy again. I don't feel I've been overdoing it but want to be careful I don't burn out. Apart from my health set back a few months back I'm thankful I've no new injuries to report.

We are into the quarters finals in the football now even with one group game left. The championship could last for another 4-8 weeks depending on how we get on. I think I might ease off on the intense workouts until the football finishes for now as I'm even finding the legs are a little tired before I even kick a ball (like today). But I will keep up long runs and recovery runs to complement the speed work I'll do around the football. Hopefully that will be enough for me to get over the line.

When the football is over I'll be formally hanging up the boots and will hopefully focus on running a bit more. I may even buy a running book or two for some winter reading.

Assuming I haven't overdone the training I'll have one or 2 more cracks at the mile (albeit outside of a race) in the next month.

Week 37
    • 06 Aug - 4 x 3 minute tempos at 6 min/m pace approx. 28 minutes running. 6.7 kms
    • 07 Aug - Football training
    • 08 Aug - Football match
    • 09 Aug - 6.6 km easy/moderate. Contained two 3.1 kms splits. 1st in 12:20. 2nd in 11:27 (equates to 18:30 5k pace approx.)
    • 11 Aug - Intervals - 20 x 40 secs hard with 30 seconds rest. Total distance 7.2 km. 30 minutes. First time doing a full 20 of these so I was delighted. Hit a nice rhythm through the middle ones. Last 2 or 3 were a bit messy but I was adding to my planned running route so not concentrating on form as much as where I was going.

Advertisement