Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think maybe you're over complicating it a bit. The main idea of a stride is to pick up the pace gradually and build it to a peak by about 15s and then gradually ease back to a Jog by 20 or 25s. It shouldn't feel taxing. Should be focusing on form and certainly not straining. Each stride should be followed by a full recovery. I walk for about a minute after each stride to get the HR back down to normal. Strides aren't really for fitness so they shouldn't feel like an interval session.

I'd consider bounds as something different - they are more specific drills than strides in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ran a mile test route yesterday round the Porchfields in Trim at a hard pace. Probably in 90s in terms of effort. Hadn't run a single mile since last December so it was time to bite the bullet and feel a bit of that pain again and taste the metal. I won't be using the route anyway, as the path is covered by trees for a section and the GPS lost me more than once. The grass section, although it has no lumps, is still a little too bumpy to be running on for 400 m too.

Ran a 5:08 with a few seconds in the tank I hope. How many though? I had hoped I'd be closer to 5:04 without going flat out. Once I'm in TT mode and on a better route, hopefully they'll have a big bearing. I've been onto Strava since to create some routes and now looking at a straight run out the Navan road I think. The elevation only changes over the route by about 3 m but the start and finish are at the same elevation. I'll be checking it out next anyway.

I had no real sessions planned this week as I was planning on trying out a mile route and also running it fairly hard and then picking something towards the end of the week but I got lured into another 600m TT.

30 miles for the week again.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday afternoon - 1 mile hard - 5:08 Ran at a hard pace. It certainly wasn't comfortable but I was glad I did it. This route has been crossed off my list as the grass is a bit too bumpy and the path runs under tree cover causing the watch to lose me a couple of times. Kids were with me so I had them take a terrible video of me running around on my mile route. About 5 km total running.

Tuesday night - 2 x 1 mile @6 min w/3 min jog [6:01, 5:59] Watch was still set to mile mode and I wasn't feeling to jaded in the evening so decided to get a bit more out of Tuesday and throw in 2 x 1 miles @ 6 min pace in the night. Another 7.5 km covered

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - 11.5 km easy Work took me to Galway for some "essential work" involving ventilators. Lovely day. I was down early and finished up around 1 so on the way back I decided to get an easy run in. Picked a route, running from Ballinasloe to Aughrim. I used to work in Galway and always by-passed Aughrim so this was a chance to jog into the village and have a nosey. Not too much there and I only stopped to read one of the signs detailing the defeat of some 200 Williamite infantry that were only probing the flanks of the Jacobite defenses before the main battle. If time permitted I might have looked for the battlefield trail than can be followed apparently. Anyway, I ran mostly along the main road but there are side roads too that gave some peace from the traffic.

Friday - 600 m hard - 1:35 I need to leave the football WhatsApp group soon as I really don't think I'll be near a GAA pitch this year. My weight is down around 4 or 5 pounds and it's not like I cold spare it. Mostly because I'm no longer doing any sort of weight training now. It was hard to pass this one without giving it a go when everyone was posting their times. I quietly ran it but didn't post my time. It was 2 seconds quicker than my last attempt (3 weeks ago) although the last attempt was on a windier day so a direct comparison is hard. but I had done my Galway run the day before too so the legs were a bit slow to get going and I recovered much quicker when finished than I did the last time. There was a 400m PR in there too of 1:01. Maybe a sub 60 400 m is in my future some time. You never know.

Saturday - 3.5 km slow with the kids cycling

Sunday - 13 km long run - Just over the hour. Legs good an tired after this. Only notable thing about this run is that I've now also crossed off the Trim/Navan road for my mile TT as there is no real hard shoulder and a speed limit of 100 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sunday - 13 km long run - Just over the hour. Legs good an tired after this. Only notable thing about this run is that I've now also crossed off the Trim/Navan road for my mile TT as there is no real hard shoulder and a speed limit of 100 km/h.

I doubt if you will run faster than 100 km /h :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Another possibility if you know it is out the Clonbun road? Quiet road most of time and flat where you could turn at half way and back.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Another possibility if you know it is out the Clonbun road? Quiet road most of time and flat where you could turn at half way and back.

I was really hoping to avoid turning. Although, the business park is almost exactly 800 m from the gate to the last truck turnabout. Could turn into a nice mile segment on Strava. It would involve doing a loop-around which could mess with the watch and my legs though.

I'm going to do a planned 1200 TT at slightly faster than mile pace on it this week and see how I manage the turnaround. Might take a stroll out the Clonbun road to warm down then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I wouldn't have a turnaround, no way, cant hack them in a 5k nevermind a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Marsh road or the ramparts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

IvoryTower wrote: »

I'm doing a turnaround for mine. Its either that or a 6m +/- elevation difference.

jamule wrote: »
    Marsh road or the ramparts??

Ramparts for me but I guess they're similar. I done my last one on the boyne walk(the new tarmac) and it was great. I'm going to go early though cause always a chance of dog walkers

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    I'm doing a turnaround for mine. Its either that or a 6m +/- elevation difference.

I know which one I would be doing :)

Last week was the first week I was fairly tired in a while.

Looking back, I've been doing double session weeks with the long run at least since March. Maxed out at 31 MPW, which is a blip to most on here and managed to sustain it for a consistent 5 weeks (exempting the 5km TT week). Back down to 25 miles last week and it'll be less again this week as I try to finally run under 5 for the mile on Saturday. Please please I finally nail it and can give myself a little rest for a week or two - from the sessions anyway. I'll see after that but fingers crossed next weeks update is the last to the log :)

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 8 km easy with 3 km @ 3:45/km Thought work would prevent me getting out on Wednesday so despite feeling tired at the start of this I did an brisk 3 km in the middle just in case @ 3:45/km. I managed to set a Course Record on Strava in the process.

Wednesday - 6.5 km easy Got enough work done and went out for 6.5 km easy. The brisk 3 km the night before was more than enough for my legs the way I was feeling so I wasn't going to do any mile specific work. (Had hoped to do some intervals).

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 1200 TT @ <3:07/km pace Plan was to test my mile route and run a faster than MP 1,200. So averaging anything less than 3:07/km was the target. First 400 were 73 seconds while the second 400 were around 77 with the wind slowing me down a bit. I turned though the loop at around 800m and got the instant relief of the breeze now at my back so the pace was picked up again. I was going at a decent clip digging in a little but ready for a big push to finish the last 200 m or so. Then I look at the watch - 1.3 km I saw and thought s**t I've run too far. So immediately stopped. It took me a few more seconds to realise I'd only gone 1.13 km so was 70 m short of the 1,200. Average pace for the 1.13 km was 3:05/km. I didn't get the full benefit of the little wind assist so I think I was on course to hit the target. Anyway, I was still annoyed. On the jog home I did a further 2x400s w/ 60 s recovery jog. Anyway, for the Mile route, the loop around wasn't as severe as I'd feared - the arc is big enough. It might still cost me a metre or two on the gps but the route is a good one which I'm going to use. The backup route is out the Trim 10 Mile course which Barry suggested which I'll use if the wind isn't playing nice on the day.

Saturday - Rest My pedometer may disagree as I'm still exceeding the daily step target on my "rest" days. I'm on for a 60 days badge on Garmin apparently.

Sunday - 13.5 km - 1:05 hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Back down to 25 miles last week and it'll be less again this week as I try to finally run under 5 for the mile on Saturday. Please please I finally nail it and can give myself a little rest for a week or two - from the sessions anyway. I'll see after that but fingers crossed next weeks update is the last to the log :)

I hope you get the sub 5 but I also hope you won't disappear from the logs :) You'll hardly be hanging up the runners if you hit the target?!

ReeReeG wrote:
    I hope you get the sub 5 but I also hope you won't disappear from the logs You'll hardly be hanging up the runners if you hit the target?!

I was actually wondering the same thing as I read it.

Presume it's just a renaming of the log but business as usual??!

Fantastic 1200 there

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I hope you get the sub 5 but I also hope you won't disappear from the logs :) You'll hardly be hanging up the runners if you hit the target?!
    I was actually wondering the same thing as I read it.

Presume it's just a renaming of the log but business as usual??!

It was a 2019 goal to break the 5 minute mark without taking on a coach and while still playing football. Since January it's been just running for me so I'll be harsher on myself this time if I don't make it.

I'll definitely take a break away. Not from reading the logs. It'd be nice to have a closing point to the log and the end goal achieved.

No plans for a new one yet but the running bug has certainly got me now. I want to get back and finish reading JDs book that Murph recommended previously that I had started. I'd like to approach my next goal with a bit more structure. That'll be probably be easier to do too when the baby is a bit older and the boys are back in a school routine.

Next goal - I mentioned a sub 2:20 800 m as as secondary goal for 2020, which I think I might already be at going by my 600 m times. I'll give that a rattle next week if I get the mile.

This post from Sacksian has always been in the back of my mind throughout and gave me the belief that I can do it. His caveat always gave me smile as the months rolled by too :pac: I'll fumble across the line eventually.
    Sacksian wrote: »
    Based on your background, I suspect that you could be able to do this quite quickly - as long as your training is sensible, which is probably the biggest caveat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

This post from Sacksian has always been in the back of my mind throughout and gave me the belief that I can do it. His caveat always gave me smile as the months rolled by too :pac: I'll fumble across the line eventually.

I also said:
    I don't really like giving advice because one of the things I liked most when I started running was figuring out for myself what suited me and what I enjoyed doing. So, if whatever you're doing is getting you out running, then that's a good place to start.

And if you're still here logging more than a year later, then I think you've done that!

I can barely run 400m at mile pace in training so 1200m at mile pace in a TT is a very, very good indicator that you'll be under that pace in a race. (You probably would have broken it already with another indoor race too).

And, if you're thinking about a break, XC running in the autumn is a break from the track! No stress about times or anything like that. Join a club and you've got team competition for county/province/national too (Trim AC were a man short for a team in the National Novice last year...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

You took your f*cking time!!!

(well done - never in doubt!)

Congratulations on the sub 5

Sacksian wrote: »
    You took your f*cking time!!!

(well done - never in doubt!)

Didn't I. We Sub 5ers know how to pace ourselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭Lazare

Delighted for you N. Any plans on what's next, keep chipping?

Lazare wrote: »
    Delighted for you N. Any plans on what's next, keep chipping?

Thanks alot.
    An easy week or two planned anyway with no sessions.

I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in running wise so need to make a little hay.

I might do an 800 TT one of the days to set myself a time for it. I must be quicker than 2:20 but I won't know until I try.

Similarly for the 400. I'll see if I can run a sub 60 as my current fastest is around 1:01 or 1:02 which was on a 600 run. So at least I'll have set the bar for myself for those distances while I'm in good shape.

I'll do a little reading on proper training and come up with a plan then. I should look into actually base building. It seems to be trendy around these parts :cool: The Strava group was great to see people putting in nosebleed levels of mileage and myself in the bottom third consistently every week.

Go see Ciaran Tobin!!!

And for the love of jaysus start thinking about running real races when they come back

OOnegative wrote: »
    Go see Ciaran Tobin!!!

I assume he's a Trim AC head? Might do. It'd be nice to get to know a few more from the locality at the very least I think.

I assume he's a Trim AC head? Might do. It'd be nice to get to know a few more from the locality at the very least I think.

He’s the main man, drop into Tobin’s on Market Street and you’ll get chatting to him. Absolute gentleman & would be delighted to have a man like you running in the candy stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Rumour has it your a 3k runner now looking to break 9.20? (5 min pace)

We will have you a distance runner before long :D

KSU wrote: »
    Rumour has it your a 3k runner now looking to break 9.20? (5 min pace)

That sounds torturous... Where do I sign up? :pac:

Under 10 would be an achievement which I'd happily take. Think I was around 10:30 on a brisk run a couple of months back. Yep, I'm really going to have to have a serious think about where to next.

Under 10 would be an achievement which I'd happily take. Think I was around 10:30 on a brisk run a couple of months back. Yep, I'm really going to have to have a serious think about where to next.

Just don't give up logging whatever you do. Too many quality logs lost in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Really well done on the sub 5. Can I borrow your log title seeing as you don't need it anymore :D

Advertisement