Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

05:05

Exactly a month to the day since the day of PBs I hit the asphalt outside work again. I was quietly hoping I'd surprise myself and come in under the 5 but it was not to be on this occasion.

The hard thing about this route is that I don't have any splits to hit so am running completely by feel. The only real waypoint I have is the top of the humpback bridge which is at around 280 m to go so I'll glance at the watch there hoping to be between the 4:00 to 4:10 mark. I was at 4:12 today.

Post run musing - what is the change of elevation on my route? Turns out its a 17 feet rise over the mile. According to the aptly named Jack Daniels (https://runnersconnect.net/hill-running-training/) - apparently every 10 feet of elevation alters your time by 1.74 seconds. So the elevation change may be costing me 1.9 seconds. Darn, still not enough :D

I did 20x40 second intervals 3 days ago and had a recovery run the day after followed by a rest day yesterday. The legs didn't feel tired today but I still wonder if there was a little fatigue holding me back. Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I'm going to hold back on the intense stuff for the next couple of weeks but will be giving the mile another go, preferably at a track so I can check my splits and have a bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Would you race this?
    https://griffithavenuemile.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Would you race this?
    https://griffithavenuemile.ie/

If that's a mile in one direction towards Marino it will be fast, slightly downhill all the way.

Actually I spotted a typo in my previous post. The 17 feet elevation equates to 2.9 secs/mile (not 1.9). So if I changed direction and ran back to the office as opposed to away from it my 5:05 could be 4:59. It's that easy :pac:

I might feel like a bit of a fraud though if it panned out that way. Anyway, my plan is to get to a track this week or next.

Cheers for the heads up on that race Mellow, it might be far enough off that the football is concluded at that stage. And downhill too...

Week 38
    • 12 Aug - 6.2 km easy. 29:30
    • 14 Aug - 1 mile attempt. 5:05 5 kms total running
    • 15 Aug - Football training A few sprints in here. Could feel a bit of a twinge in my quad during these.
    • 17 Aug - 5.5 km easy. (3.5 kms on grass). 24 minutes
    • 18 Aug - Mixed Moderate run. 9.2 kms. 41 minutes. Two 3.1 km splits [11:54, 11:38]. The two 3.1 km splits started with a 4 minute tempo at 5:40/m pace. Finished with a very slow 2.6 km recovery.

I couldn't keep my promise and take all my runs easy in the week, but I had missed football training on the morning of the 18th to mind the kids so wanted to get the heart rate up a bit. Feeling the quad a little here though more so during the warm down but I'm sure its just a little strain.

I'm not a mile racer but I think I'll do this one. It depends where you're based and mid week so it might suit if you play football on weekends
    http://www.popupraces.ie/race/ray-flynn-mile-2019/

• Advertisement

Actually I spotted a typo in my previous post. The 17 feet elevation equates to 2.9 secs/mile (not 1.9). So if I changed direction and ran back to the office as opposed to away from it my 5:05 could be 4:59. It's that easy :pac:

I might feel like a bit of a fraud though if it panned out that way. Anyway, my plan is to get to a track this week or next.

Cheers for the heads up on that race Mellow, it might be far enough off that the football is concluded at that stage. And downhill too...

Week 38
    • 12 Aug - 6.2 km easy. 29:30
    • 14 Aug - 1 mile attempt. 5:05 5 kms total running
    • 15 Aug - Football training A few sprints in here. Could feel a bit of a twinge in my quad during these.
    • 17 Aug - 5.5 km easy. (3.5 kms on grass). 24 minutes
    • 18 Aug - Mixed Moderate run. 9.2 kms. 41 minutes. Two 3.1 km splits [11:54, 11:38]. The two 3.1 km splits started with a 4 minute tempo at 5:40/m pace. Finished with a very slow 2.6 km recovery.

I couldn't keep my promise and take all my runs easy in the week, but I had missed football training on the morning of the 18th to mind the kids so wanted to get the heart rate up a bit. Feeling the quad a little here though more so during the warm down but I'm sure its just a little strain.

Looks like the Griffith Ave mile is one direction. You'd be following in some great footsteps! It's a smashing avenue and is undoubtedly fast.

https://griffithavenuemile.ie/history-of-the-race

I'm not a mile racer but I think I'll do this one. It depends where you're based and mid week so it might suit if you play football on weekends
    http://www.popupraces.ie/race/ray-flynn-mile-2019/

Reading through your log there, you've got some nice mile repeats in there at decent clips.

If you ran that one yourself what'd be your plan? Are you hoping to post a particular time or just using it as a training run? It's an awkward time and location for me so won't be heading to it myself.

The Griffith Ave run looks very tempting but might clash with the CShip semi final if we get that far. I might register just in case it sells out anyway.

Reading through your log there, you've got some nice mile repeats in there at decent clips.

If you ran that one yourself what'd be your plan? Are you hoping to post a particular time or just using it as a training run? It's an awkward time and location for me so won't be heading to it myself.

The Griffith Ave run looks very tempting but might clash with the CShip semi final if we get that far. I might register just in case it sells out anyway.
    If I run it I'll do it balls out and see what happens. That mile race in Longford is on a Tuesday and I've a 5k race on the Saturday so I'd be using it as sharpener. I haven't done any specific mile work so I'd be thinking 5:10 to 5:15.... (Hoping for faster) Its not a straight mile like Griffith Avenue either.

If I run it I'll do it balls out and see what happens. That mile race in Longford is on a Tuesday and I've a 5k race on the Saturday so I'd be using it as sharpener. I haven't done any specific mile work so I'd be thinking 5:10 to 5:15.... (Hoping for faster) Its not a straight mile like Griffith Avenue either.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I've entered Griffith, you have installed mile fever into the athletics forum

• Advertisement

I saw that. I'll be super relieved when my own fever subsides.

I just had a look at the 'course video' on the website and it shows it as an out and back...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I just had a look at the 'course video' on the website and it shows it as an out and back...

Hmm. The course map shows a route from Dominican College to Ardscoil Rís, which doesn't seem to be quite a mile. Hopefully this will all be clarified.

Confirmation from organisers that course will be officially measured and will start closer to the airport road end of Griffith Ave than the map suggests. Finish at the Malahide end. No turnabout and slightly downhill from start to finish. Should be a fast one but apparently not eligible for road race records due to the slope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Confirmation from organisers that course will be officially measured and will start closer to the airport road end of Griffith Ave than the map suggests. Finish at the Malahide end. No turnabout and slightly downhill from start to finish. Should be a fast one but apparently not eligible for road race records due to the slope!

Ah here! If I run this, and go sub-6 I'm taking it :pac:

It’s the Jingle Bells of mile races. ;)

Ah here! If I run this, and go sub-6 I'm taking it :pac:

There must be a difference between a road record and a PB haha

Murph_D wrote: »
    It’s the Jingle Bells of mile races. ;)

Did you mention that the prevailing wind normally provides some assistance too? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Jaysis at that rate I'll find DG and see if I can hang on to him for a sub-5 attempt :pac:
    Sure it's downhill, short (allegedly), and there'll be a gale behind us. What could go wrong? :pac:

2nd mile attempt on a track: 05:07

Disappointed with this but not completely surprised in that I wasn't feeling too hyped about the run beforehand. It was a breezy day yesterday and I'd taken a days leave to do the school run and collections for the first days back. I had a normal mornings breakfast , dropped the kids to school, done a couple of jobs and set off for the track at around 10:30. Around 11 is certainly an unusual time of the day for me to run but that's what I had. The track was breezy (cross wind mostly on the straights) but I figured it wouldn't play that big a part. Warm up done - 2 kms, strides and dynamic stretches. Off I set -
    • Lap 1 - A nice pace, feeling pretty comfortable making sure I don't go out too hard. Cross the line 75 seconds, which included the extra metres. Perfect
    • Lap 2 - So I just need to maintain the same effort level. I was still pretty comfortable but unknowingly dropped my pace. 79 seconds. Okay I don't feel feiced so maybe it's not time to panic yet.
    • Lap 3 - Not panicking I know I need to up the effort level a bit but not blow up. I could still beat 05:05. Not feeling I was redlining but working a bit harder. 78 seconds. Darn it could I have pushed a bit harder on that lap.
    • Lap 4 - Time to really pick it up. Quick look a the watch at around 150 m I knew I was a few seconds up on the previous laps pace. Last 100 m, a flailing mess getting across in 75 seconds. Expected a quicker last lap time than that too considering the pace on the previous 2.

So there it was. I messed up my pacing. Maybe I was watching it too much. I probably left 2-3 seconds out there yesterday but given how I was feeling beforehand, only 2-3 seconds. No more than that.

I'd had a match 2 days earlier that I was a little tired the day after but I don't want to be blaming that for underperforming. I had eased off the intense sessions last week as I said I wold. Definitely I could have tried a little harder yesterday but never fully believed it was on so maybe a little mind games at play too.

Perfect way to get on with it though. I followed up with football training last night which finished with 8*200 m and 4*80 m sprints. Then 4*300 m runs. Legs were as tired last night as they have been in a while. There's still a few months left in 2019 and I hope to get there yet.

• Advertisement

That was a very admirable attempt but I think you should think of it as a training session. It's so much harder to run at race pace when there's no one to riff off. Hopefully you'll make the Marino mile - if you can keep ticking over between now and then I'd be confident you'll do it with other runners around you to work with. As long as you choose the right ones, of course!

Good stuff there. You're learning fast! I'm still learning how to run the mile but lap 1 is always fast because of the starting adrenaline. Lap 2 there can be a tendency to slow slightly as you settle in - the trick is to not slow too much. Lap 3 you really just have to HTFU and keep pushing as you start to feel sorry for yourself, and then with lap 4 the knowledge that it's the last one usually helps you open it up and shave off a couple of seconds. So the trick, I suppose, is to get to the end of lap 3 in 3:45 and not leave yourself with too much to do.

The Marino race of course is on the road so not comparable to a track, but the same principles apply I think. Breaking it down into stages might help.

The week numbers are starting to get very close to 52 :eek:

Lucky I set the mile as a 2019 goal and not a 12 month goal.

Week 39
    • 20 Aug - Football training
    • 21 Aug - 6.7 km easy to moderate - 25:59 mins. Went out brisk enough but comfortable and increased the effort a little as it went on. Happy with the time versus effort level on this run. Worked out at 3:52/km pace
    • 23 Aug - 4 kms moderate on a treadmill. Aim was 4 kms in 16 minutes. Did the 1st km in 5 minutes as a warm up and then upped the speed for the last 3 km which I did in 10:40. That equated to 17:46 for 5 km pace which looks very odd to me so this has me doubting the accuracy of the treadmill or maybe it's just easier to cover distance on a flat surface with no drag. Followed by a light gym and swim.
    • 25 Aug - 3.5 km easy/moderate run - 13:46. Football match tomorrow but hadn't been out in a couple of days so needed a bit of a leg stretch.

Week 40
    • 26 Aug - Football match Qualified for the 1/4 finals
    • 27 Aug - 6.7 km easy - 27:30
    • 29 Aug AM - 1 mile attempt on a track - 05:07. Splits [75,79,78,75] Pesky wind probably deflated my optimism for this one. 4.5 km total.
    • 29 Aug PM - Football training Included 8*200m and 4*80m sprints
    • 01 Sep - Football training A busy weekend meant I didn't get out for a recovery run after a tough day on the 29th

So no intervals, hill runs or tempos the last couple of weeks to have a mini recovery and more energy for the football. The 1/4 final looks like being out another couple of weeks so there's a temptation there to put in a couple off tough ones this week and try and hit the track again.

I've my €15 invested in the Griffith Avenue mile anyway but we'll just have to see how the month pans out.

I'll run that Griffith Ave mile during the week and put the Garmin elevation trace up here for you...as a little incentive haha

@skyblue - Good luck with your own recovery.

My own ankle is still giving me a little bit of grief still but not enough to hamper my running. It's more when I'm not running, and its obvious my range of motion in it hasn't improved even with the months of training behind me. I'm just thankful I haven't rolled it this year at all and now the football pitches are softening up again I'm hopeful I can survive the football season unscathed. Nearly there now but I intend to have an MRI on it before the year is out.

Week 41
    • 02 Sep - 9.05 kms easy - 39 mins
    • 03 Aug - 6.6 km very easy - 31 mins.
    • 04 Aug - Missed football training
    • 05 Aug - 4.65 km hard - 16:49. Another PB for this route and second time under 17. Was annoyed at missing training the night before so wanted to give myself a hard run to make up for it.
    • 06 Aug - Football training
    • 07 Aug - 6.6 km easy/moderate - 28 mins Two 3.1 km splits. Easy on the first before picking it up for the second [13:30, 12:00]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

im guessing youre the fittest on that team!

IvoryTower wrote: »
    im guessing youre the fittest on that team!

Fittest, not fastest :pac:

I was also always at a disadvantage size wise too.

Week 42
    • 09 Sep - 9 kms moderate - 34:37 mins. Long easy run planned. The energy levels didn't feel like they were there today but somehow glimpsing at my watch with around 3 km to go I saw that surprisingly I might be on for a record time for this route and so it turned out, finishing hard for the last km into a headwind. Not the most sensible I know.
    • 10 Sep - Missed football training . No karma for busting a gut the day before. Parental duties meant I missed training this evening.
    • 11 Sep - On grass - 4x400 w/ 200 r/ [75,75, 75, 75], 2x200 w/ 1 min r/ [35,35,34,35], 6x100 w/ 30sec r/ [17, 16, 16, 16, 16, 14]. wanted to do speed work after missing training the night before. The grass certainly made the 400s a lot tougher with the legs burning at the end of each. The 100s weren't as energy sapping on the legs more the chest.
    • 12 Sep - Football training. Wasn't planning on doing sprints two days in a row but that's what happened. This session finished with 12 minutes of 85 m sprints w/ 85 r/. I was fit to throw up after
    • 13 Aug - 4.2 km v. easy - 23 mins - Tower of Loyd Kells . Had NCT in Kells so went for a gentle trail run along the Blackwater before looping around and up to the Tower. Within the first 5 minutes a fly flew into my right eye and about 30 seconds later he was accompanied by one into my left eye so I wasn't taking too much of the view of the river in. They eventually pushed off to the side of my eyes to be removed once I got back to the car, as I headed up to hill towards Loyds Tower. The route from the Blackwater bridge is a forgiving slope and I as rewarded with a plesant sun drenched view as I neared the top. Came back down the hill on a different trail that is perpendicular to the slope, so very glad I didn't chose that route on the way up. Nice evening and didn't meet a sinner on my loop apart from some cows, sheep and the flies.
    • 14 Sep - 5.5 kms easy/moderate - 24:30. 3 middle kms on grass [4:30, 4:20, 3:50]

Squeaky bum time of the season so football has to take priority until next weekend at least, so unfortunately I couldn't make the Griffith Avenue mile.

Week 43
    • 16 Sep(Monday) - 5 km run - Planned to include 2 x 6 min/m tempos. Actual was [5:55, 5:38]. We we due to have a challenge match on Wednesday day so I wanted to do a short but not too easy a run. 6 x 50 m strides between the two mile runs. Turned out the challenge match was postponed until Sunday so I could have done a bit more. I was determined to put in a decent shift the following day.
    • 17 Sep - On football pitch. Plan 2x800 @MP w/ 3 min r/, 2x400 @ MP w/ 3 min r/ and 4x200 w/ 1.5 min r/. Actual [2:33, 2:33], [1:13, 1:16], [35, 34, 34, 31]. With the game postponed I hit the pitch in my runners. I'm no expert on different running surfaces but I hope the surface was the reason I missed my 800 m target times by 3 seconds each.
    • 18 Sep - Football training
    • 20 Sep - Football training
    • 22 Aug - Football match No running between football training and matches this week. Days were shifted to Wed/Fri as opposed to the usual Tues/Thurs and I wanted to be fresh for the challenge game.

Quarter final is finally scheduled for next weekend so by my next update I could be finished football wise. (We're playing the favourites.)

Week 44
    • 23 Sep - 9 km run - 34:56 Tired and hamstrings tight today setting out I just tried to focus on a consistent cadence throughout.
    • 25 Sep - Football training Eldest had his own football training beforehand, which I ended up helping out with. The heavens opened and I got soaked due to not having water proofs on. Straight into my dry training gear after which lasted about 20 minutes into training before the heavens opened again. I felt okay though and was hopeful I'd avoid a cold.
    • 26 Sep - 3 miles very easy - 21 mins Very tired and lethargic running today. Is there a cold coming on?
    • 27 Sep - Missed Football training Cold confirmed :mad: Sat out the pre-match run out
    • 28 Sep - Football match 3 of the older gents all had colds. My usual remedy is to load up on red bull which seems to get me through the warm up until my blood is pumping. The ground was boggy and I know I wasn't quite at the races which was a pity for my last game. Received a box to the temple too so I was going around looking like an orangutan afterwards. Lost by 4 points against the favourites but definitely annoyed to finish with a bit of a whimper.

Still not 100% just yet and the recent weather is not inspiring me to try and shake it off. But on a positive note - No major injuries (apart form the shiner) to report, so all roads lead to me trying to get get this monkey off my back in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Another setback.

So the cold was only the start of it. I've been hit with a recurrence of the same non-diagnosed ailment I had back in March. I'm not as bad this week and am determined not to lose my base so after the week that's passed I've managed to get out for some very gentle runs the past 2 days in row. It could be a while before I'm pushing myself again. Or it could be next week. We'll just see where it takes me this time.

Week 45
    • 02 Oct - 20 min v easy run I was hoping to snap myself out of my malaise with some endorphins/mitochondria. Not feeling well for the last 5 minutes of this though and wiped out when I got home.

So that was last week, but as I said above I've already done twice as many very easy runs this week so I'm hopeful I'll be back to normal sooner rather than later. I'm going to at least force myself to keep spinning the legs at whatever pace I can manage to keep the fitness from falling off too much.

Advertisement