Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you reside in Limerick or around that area?

Castleconnell didn't actually fare too badly in terms of days with 20c in June 2015. 10th June was the first day of the season to do so whilst one day of May that year (23 May 2015) and April (9 April 2015) had 20c or more at the station.

Mount Russell on the other hand after the very start of July had no 20c throughout July/August 2015 besides the 15th July.

Daily max temperatures for Castleconnell and Mount Russell (two Limerick climate stations) during Summer 2015.

k3bIIm0.png

North Cork Limerick border. I remember that summer as a non event with high rainfall and very little sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. Vomiting rain all evening here with spot flooding.

That is incredible !
    Nicest evening of the month without a shadow of a doubt
    The rain seemed to pivot around us all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ridiculous evening. Wet dark cold. Fcuk off Irish climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭appledrop

So many people in Ireland, especially women, really have lost all comprehension of what "cold" means.

Just because it's cool for the time of year, does not mean it's cold. And the way people convince themselves it's cold when it's not, and putting on the heating and loads of layers, is lowering their tolerance of non hot temperatures even more!

Christmas Day had a max temperature of 11 degrees at Dublin airport which is pretty much what we have had every day in Dublin since June started. Would you tell them they were exaggerating if they said they had their heating on Christmas Day. People going around in unsuitable clothes + no heating on at the moment are the ones fooling themselves.

Where else in the world has weeks of max temperature of 10-12 degrees in summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

appledrop wrote: »
    Christmas Day had a max temperature of 11 degrees at Dublin airport which is pretty much what we have had every day in Dublin since June started. Would you tell them they were exaggerating if they said they had their heating on Christmas Day. People going around in unsuitable clothes + no heating on at the moment are the ones fooling themselves.

Where else in the world has weeks of max temperature of 10-12 degrees in summer?

There have been some really nice days in Dublin over the last two weeks. A lot closer to 18C than 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

There have been some really nice days in Dublin over the last two weeks. A lot closer to 18C than 11.

Dublin Calafornia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Which Dublin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nuuk in Greenland

pauldry wrote: »
    Nuuk in Greenland

Exactly a country that is mostly covered in ice sheets has the same summer temperatures as us. Therefore we are having a freezing cold summer at present.

Really????

• Advertisement

There have not been nice days in Dublin. On Monday evening the sun appeared for about 2 hours that's it. Still wasn't very warm.

It must be another Dublin you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I personally found Monday as a great day after the poor morning in Dublin (almost ideal). Tuesday was ok. My only issue with both was they could have been warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Last weekend was ok as far as I remember it was about 14 or 15 degrees so was Monday and Tuesday most of last week was relatively mild. The weather has been bad since Wednesday but come on it's hardly unusual weather in Ireland even in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

From the farmers journal :

Met Éireann maintains two weather radars at Dublin and Shannon airports. These were installed in 1991 and 1996 respectively and upgraded in 2010.

They provide data on precipitation within a 240km radius. Once the work is complete, it is hoped the State’s weather radar requirements will be met up to 2040.

A contract, with an estimated value of €350,000, to undertake a 40-month scoping exercise for the upgrade is up for tender.

Met Éireann envisages increasing the number of radars from two to five.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my issue with the past 2 months, is not the rain or lack of sunshine, but the extreme low temperatures. The past two weeks has been baltic, especially considering the time of the year. Much of December was milder than our climate of the past 2 weeks, the temperatures have mostly been downright disgraceful even by poor Irish summer standards. On the other hand I suppose we can count ourselves lucky we haven't had the extreme rains that much of England has suffered over the past 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Exactly a country that is mostly covered in ice sheets has the same summer temperatures as us. Therefore we are having a freezing cold summer at present.

Google weather forecasting that Nuuk is dry and sunny every day over the next week, up to 16C tomorrow so by most accounts they're having a better summer than us so far

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Last weekend was ok as far as I remember it was about 14 or 15 degrees so was Monday and Tuesday most of last week was relatively mild. The weather has been bad since Wednesday but come on it's hardly unusual weather in Ireland even in summer.

Highs of 14 degrees in mid June (with a strong cool breeze) is hardly 'relatively mild'..

There've been several days this month just a couple of degrees off the coldest June highs on record. Sryan probably has the figures but I suspect we're not far off the coldest first half to the month on record either

Highs of 14 degrees in mid June (with a strong cool breeze) is hardly 'relatively mild'..

There've been several days this month just a couple of degrees off the coldest June highs on record. Sryan probably has the figures but I suspect we're not far off the coldest first half to the month on record either

This was about the average temperature on Monday yeah it was hardly roasting or anything I was wearing a jumper but it was hardly freezing. I'm not sure what your definition of mild is but by Irish standards I would generally regard anything between 11 and 16 degrees (which it has been since June started) to be mild by Irish standards especially as Ireland is a country where generally apart from outliers summer and winter temperatures don't vary by a huge amount.

This was about the average temperature on Monday yeah it was hardly roasting or anything I was wearing a jumper but it was hardly freezing. I'm not sure what your definition of mild is but by Irish standards I would generally regard anything between 11 and 16 degrees (which it has been since June started) to be mild by Irish standards especially as Ireland is a country where generally apart from outliers summer and winter temperatures don't vary by a huge amount.
    It was 11 degrees on Christmas day . Hardly mild ! If you are used to minus 25 or 30 maybe 11 feels mild

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We might aswell be living in Iceland our usual summers are not much better....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thought i'd make my 2000th post in the Weather Forum where it all started!

Been a nice day in Cork City. Was pelting rain during my exam this morning but dry from then till about 7 with a small shower and dry since then! Nice sunset as well! Wind is cold though!

• Advertisement

So a nice day is pelting rain all morning a shower in the afternoon and cold? In June? This is a nice day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So a nice day is pelting rain all morning a shower in the afternoon and cold? In June? This is a nice day?

Considering its been wet for most of the week, yeah its a nice day since its actually dry and there was sun and not just a grey sky. Wasn't all morning only about 20 minutes and then a 5 minute light shower later on

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It was 11 degrees on Christmas day . Hardly mild ! If you are used to minus 25 or 30 maybe 11 feels mild

Maybe if your used to 25 degree heat 11 degrees feels cold. Mild doesn't mean warm. 11 degrees would be considered mild year round. In Decemeber it would be warm and in June it would be cold but in general it's mild. Usually the weather in Decmeber would be about 7 or 8 degrees unless and in June it would be about 15 or 16 degrees so 3 or 4 degrees is hardly a huge difference.

Maybe if your used to 25 degree heat 11 degrees feels cold. Mild doesn't mean warm. 11 degrees would be considered mild year round. In Decemeber it would be warm and in June it would be cold but in general it's mild. Usually the weather in Decmeber would be about 7 or 8 degrees unless and in June it would be about 15 or 16 degrees so 3 or 4 degrees is hardly a huge difference.
    Mild for me is when I don't need my warm coat on outside and not shiver getting into bed

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mild for me is when I don't need my warm coat on outside and not shiver getting into bed

Most people I saw in the last couple of days weren't wearing warm coats. They were wearing a light jumper or a jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Seeing as the average temp in mid June for Ireland is about 18 degrees, I don’t know how you think 11-16 is mild. Add in the wind and the rain and it’s miserable and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    my issue with the past 2 months, is not the rain or lack of sunshine, but the extreme low temperatures. The past two weeks has been baltic, especially considering the time of the year. Much of December was milder than our climate of the past 2 weeks, the temperatures have mostly been downright disgraceful even by poor Irish summer standards. On the other hand I suppose we can count ourselves lucky we haven't had the extreme rains that much of England has suffered over the past 4 days.

Been terrible for sunshine here honestly since mid-May. May and June are our sunniest months of the year on average but I barely had 85% of my average May sunshine and June so far has been much below par too.

A comparison between Nov 2017 to Jun 2018 and Nov 2018 to Jun 2019 (up to June 13th in both years) at Dunsany in terms of max temps.

SqVuj7p.png

I will post IMT stats on first halves to June maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not the wettest June wev EVER had in the Northwest but FIVE fully wet days out of 7 last week meant the lake in Sligo overflowed for the first time since March. Now its down again as wev only had 1mm of rain since Sunday.

Actually this Sunday looks dreadful here too so take Sunday outta the week n it hasnt been too wet as its so cold the Jet has pulled its moisture to the South and East.

Unfortunately if the weather ever improves we will be stuck with mist n drizzle in Northwest so cold and sunny like the past few days beats that even if I am lampost watching at night wondering if we will get any snow....maybe July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Having lived and worked in very dry and arid location, I never ever mind the rain/rainfall that we get in this country. Without water, we're snookered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

compsys wrote: »
    Seeing as the average temp in mid June for Ireland is about 18 degrees, I don’t know how you think 11-16 is mild. Add in the wind and the rain and it’s miserable and cool.

Most people are not including humidity. In Ireland we get high humidity almost every summer, it could be only 16°C but 94% humidity, and that feels like 26°C sticky dead heat.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Advertisement