Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Most people are not including humidity. In Ireland we get high humidity almost every summer, it could be only 16°C but 94% humidity, and that feels like 26°C sticky dead heat.

Haha! 94% humidity in this country usually means misty rain, I can safely say that 16C with rain feels nothing remotely close to 26C in Ireland.

In fact when you take both wind and rain into consideration I'd say the real-feel is closer to 10C than 26C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very wet night in Meath, heavy rain for past couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So many people in Ireland, especially women, really have lost all comprehension of what "cold" means.

Just because it's cool for the time of year, does not mean it's cold. And the way people convince themselves it's cold when it's not, and putting on the heating and loads of layers, is lowering their tolerance of non hot temperatures even more!

I’m using a hot water bottle every second night these days. Absolutely unheard of me in June or even May normally and I’m a person who is pretty sensitive to cold. Still a blanket over my duvet. Also unheard of in May or June for me. Often by June, I’ve even jettisoned the duvet and am only using a blanket. And the medication I’m on causes me to feel warmer than usual, not colder. And I’m still feeling the cold.

People know what cold is or when they feel it. Why would they make it up? The temperatures are well below average and some of the daily maxima recorded this month have been at mild January temperature levels. Ten days ago, the 2pm temperature recorded at Knock Airport was 9 degrees. 9 degrees. That’s not even a particularly mild temperature for January, never mind June. A maxima one of the days in Dublin this week was 11 mother-effing degrees. And even on the warmer days that reach, say, 16 or 17 degrees during the day, the nighttime temperatures sometimes really drop back. It’s currently 4 degrees where my parents are. Ridonkulous.

appledrop wrote: »
    Christmas Day had a max temperature of 11 degrees at Dublin airport which is pretty much what we have had every day in Dublin since June started. Would you tell them they were exaggerating if they said they had their heating on Christmas Day. People going around in unsuitable clothes + no heating on at the moment are the ones fooling themselves.

Where else in the world has weeks of max temperature of 10-12 degrees in summer?

Well, not quite. There have been a scattering of warmish days. But, yes, there have been some days which reached just about ‘mild January day’ temperatures. And the nighttime temperatures have really dropped back at times. It’s bad. The run of terrible summers from 2007 to 2012 inclusive were depressingly wet and overcast but I don’t recall coldness being much an issue like this summer.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Maybe if your used to 25 degree heat 11 degrees feels cold. Mild doesn't mean warm. 11 degrees would be considered mild year round. In Decemeber it would be warm and in June it would be cold but in general it's mild. Usually the weather in Decmeber would be about 7 or 8 degrees unless and in June it would be about 15 or 16 degrees so 3 or 4 degrees is hardly a huge difference.

No it wouldn’t. It’s just about considered mild in December, January or February. But temperatures in those months can sometimes reach 12 or 13. 11 degrees is in no way considered mild in summer, late spring or early autumn in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Came down all night.. this is just awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Going by MT's forecast the trend of the west and the north west getting the better weather with the south and the south east getting more rainfall, looks set to continue for the next week.

Dry land around there but a lot of rain has fallen again over night along eastern coastal parts. Crops will not like it and the cold must be an issue for general growth.

I presume westerlies will break through at some point and the east will fare better then.

Is the jet stream likely to stay north of us at this stage? Is it very strong or meandering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heavy fog in places around Kildare this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely morning after a great day yday
    Reading the thread shows how very lucky we were in east Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Is the jet stream likely to stay north of us at this stage? Is it very strong or meandering?

To the whoops of joy from some in this parish,I'd say with a few interruptions its likely to be that way right up into and during the winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

As someone who grew up elsewhere in Europe that was not Iceland....erm.....erm.....lets just say Ireland feels like another planet. It is hard to believe especially during this summer that Ireland is on the same planet, let alone the 30C clear blue skies perfectly normal weather on the same continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

It’s scorchio down here in cork city at the mo. A VERY welcome change

jackrussel wrote: »
    It’s scorchio down here in cork city at the mo. A VERY welcome change

12 degrees at 10am on Met Éireann for Cork. Christ, how bad IS this summer that that feels scorchio? :pac: If it’s sunny, that’s probably helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lovely here in south Dublin now . Its so nice to see a clear sky and hope it might last

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

very mild feeling in Cork, nearly have the cardigan off this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

12 degrees at 10am on Met Éireann for Cork. Christ, how bad IS this summer that that feels scorchio? :pac: If it’s sunny, that’s probably helping.

ME’s weather station for cork city is at cork airport which is on a hill way above the city. There’s always different weather conditions up there compared to the city. Gauging conditions at the airport is all that station is good for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sunny here in Meath but the garden is absolutely saturated from all the rain, it's been a long time since i've heard squelch sounds every time I walk on the grass.

latest ensembles are yet another downgrade for mild and dry weather, temperatures beginning to trend lower than average for the last week of June with plenty of rainfall spikes. I'm fairly certain now June wlll finish up several degrees below average, especially in the east of the country. The warmer and slightly dryer conditions are constantly getting pushed back, much like the winter easterly which is always 10 days away.

Warm and sunny North Dublin.. can't see it lasting though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It is currently 12.8c here yet it still and feels very warm out to the point were it feels like a typical Irish summer's day. (and no, I am not fat or unhealthy - except maybe of the mind :p)

Despite the lower than average temperatures all this month, there is no way in hell I could call this month 'cold' in the literal sense, and talks of putting on fires or sticking on the heat or wearing ganzies baffle me, but I guess some people feel the cold, or the heat, more than others, and I include myself in that.

Regarding the hypothetical 16c mentioned above, 16c can feel cool on the skin if corresponding dew points are low (as a result of low humidity) and accompanied by a fair breeze, but 16c with high humidities and dew points can feel exceptionally warm, sticky and 'close', and more especially at night when we are trying to get some sleep.
    compsys wrote: »
    Seeing as the average temp in mid June for Ireland is about 18 degrees, I don’t know how you think 11-16 is mild. Add in the wind and the rain and it’s miserable and cool.

Taking Ireland as a whole, the average June maxima is closer to 17c than 18c, though a few isolated stations such as Shannon & Casement might be closer to the latter.

Some mean June maxima from Irish stations: (using the 71-00 averages as more stations are included)

Kilkenny 18.0
    Shannon: 17.9
    Casement: 17.5
    Birr: 17.6
    Belmullet: 15.6
    Valentia: 16.4
    Mullingar: 17.4
    Cork Apt: 16.6
    Claremorris: 17.0
    Malin Head: 14.8

More of these stats from Met Eireann here:
    http://archive.met.ie/climate-ireland/30year-averages.asp

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

lawred2 wrote: »
    Warm and sunny North Dublin.. can't see it lasting though

Already it’s starting to cloud over. The showers won’t be too far away. But it’s tomorrow that’s looking more ominous - heavy widespread showers with possible thunderstorms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Someone mentioned Iceland, Reykjavik has been getting nice weather with up to 17C temps with the high pressure they stole from us :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice and bright in Castlebar, but some very dark and ominous clouds hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been a glorious day out here. Sun and a sweet wild wind, perfect for gardening and drying washing.

Totally enjoyable. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Top 5 coolest first halves to June on record (in terms of mean temperature) using the IMT.

1. 1972; 10.3c
    2. 1987; 10.6c
    3. 1991; 11.1c
    4. 1977; 11.2c
    5. 2015; 11.3c

2019 is running at 11.18c up to the 14th which is slightly under 1977.

Top 5 warmest first halves to June on record (in terms of mean temperature) using the IMT. Showing these for curiosity.

1. 1970; 16.6c
    2. 2004; 15.9c
    3. 2016; 15.8c
    4. 2018; 15.7c
    5. 2006; 15.5c

Top 5 coolest first halves to June on record (in terms of mean maximum temperature) using the IMT.

1. 1987; 14.1c
    2. 1972; 14.6c
    3. 1991; 15.1c
    4. 2012; 15.8c
    5. 1974; 15.8c

2019 is running at a mean max of 15.1c up to the 14th, just behind 1991.

Top 5 warmest first halves to June on record (in terms of mean maximum temperature) using the IMT. Again showing these for curiosity sakes.

1. 1970; 22.4c
    2. 2006; 21.5c
    3. 2016; 20.6c
    4. 2018; 20.2c
    5. 2004; 20.1c

*First half consists of the dates June 1st to 15th.

Data from Met Éireann.

esposito wrote: »
    Already it’s starting to cloud over. The showers won’t be too far away. But it’s tomorrow that’s looking more ominous - heavy widespread showers with possible thunderstorms

Nah it's grand.. grill fired up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest ensembles are yet another downgrade for mild and dry weather, temperatures beginning to trend lower than average for the last week of June with plenty of rainfall spikes. I'm fairly certain now June wlll finish up several degrees below average, especially in the east of the country. The warmer and slightly dryer conditions are constantly getting pushed back, much like the winter easterly which is always 10 days away.

I just checked charts there and both GFS and ECM are showing the low pressure moving northwards from next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

klaaaz wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Iceland, Reykjavik has been getting nice weather with up to 17C temps with the high pressure they stole from us :P

They’ve been getting days and days of almost non stop sun too. Even in Ireland in the good days the threat of cloud never seems far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mrsnrub2.0

Today was the first time this summer I got to wear a t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

At last a dry day. When sun came out it was pleasant but not warm. At least for once could spend most of day outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Beautiful bright day with blue skies out on the Aran Islands today (before it all goes pear shaped tomorrow..).

x3fey8.jpg

Advertisement