Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

absolute rotten afternoon in Meath, heavy rain, dark, cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Table showing stats for rainfall, max and min temps for June so far at all of the reporting Met Eireann stations.

Hk2MhVA.png

Only Newport and Phoenix Park have manage to scrape a 20c so far, which is odd, considering both stations are on complete opposite ends of the country. Mean max temps are clearly running lower than normal, and averaged out on a nationwide scale, only come in at 14.7c, with is almost 2.0c below normal for the period (L.T.A is about 16.6c), and overall, is the coolest mean max for the first 2 weeks in June since 1987. Very wet also in most places, with Markee Castle and Ballyhaise in particular really up there.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

our rainfall totals so far are alot lower than parts of the UK were close to 160mm of rain has fallen over the past 4 days, that's nearly 3 months worth of rain this week in some places.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh dear, Beijing Climate Centre seasonal model finally updated for summer (first time since April) and it's not good... at all. In fact, it shows a complete write off of a summer with intense northern blocking from June to August and a trough right over Ireland. No letting up from June if it were to verify.

Lashing now in Dublin 13.

latest JMA update is an absolute stinker for first half of July.

week 1: high pressure building over greenland, low pressures over Ireland
    week 2: jetstream diving south to Spain/Morocco, major nothern blocking, cool or cold and wet over Ireland. A repeat of first half of June.

Very worrying signals for this summer.

Rain absolutely hammering down here in Meath, I haven't seen rain this heavy in a long time, boucing up off the ground. Lumps of hail coming down with it now too,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain again in Kildare, easily heaviest so far this year. Close to 100mm/hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk fc train in the mornings now. This morning- in June - they were training under lights. At least the lights were on when I drove past. ( so I assume they were training.)

Shyte weather.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Torrential rain again in Kildare, easily heaviest so far this year. Close to 100mm/hr

same here, this is the heaviest rain i've seen all year. Gutters all overflowing and water running down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Table showing stats for rainfall, max and min temps for June so far at all of the reporting Met Eireann stations.

Hk2MhVA.png

Only Newport and Phoenix Park have manage to scrape a 20c so far, which is odd, considering both stations are on complete opposite ends of the country. Mean max temps are clearly running lower than normal, and averaged out on a nationwide scale, only come in at 14.7c, with is almost 2.0c below normal for the period (L.T.A is about 16.6c), and overall, is the coolest mean max for the first 2 weeks in June since 1987. Very wet also in most places, with Markee Castle and Ballyhaise in particular really up there.

Data from Met Eireann.

It's fascinating how Ireland has remained so immune to global warming, during the summers at least.

At least we're in the right place when the rest of the world starts boiling over in 10 or 20 years :rolleyes:

compsys wrote: »
    It's fascinating how Ireland has remained so immune to global warming, during the summers at least.

At least we're in the right place when the rest of the world starts boiling over in 10 or 20 years :rolleyes:

Global temp anomalies for June so far:

f9mxdW8.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I did hear that it was unseasonably cool on the east coast of the US - that graphic seems to back that up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Only takeaway from summer 2015 was the fact that June was dry and sunny for most, otherwise it was a dismal season with a lot of dull, cool and wet weather. July was among the worst I've experienced along with 2012. Meanwhile, mainland Europe was in the grips of a heatwave summer.

It was this section which caught my eye
    June was very cold for most of the month, the last few days rose the mean temperature to -0.7c below normal (thus without these warm days, June would have been -1.9c below normal!). There was a large absence of warm days (22c or more) throughout with only June 30 and August 18 reaching at least 22c

Dont believe we have hit 20c here yet ...

Edit: see from above that only Newport and Phoenix Park have hit 20c so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wow hard to believe lovely blue skies over in the west. No idea of their temps. Meanwhile did I mention it's raining in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

gozunda wrote: »
    It was this section which caught my eye

Dont believe we have hit 20c here yet ...

Edit: see from above that only Newport and Phoenix Park have hit 20c so far

If I remember correctly, you reside in Limerick or around that area?

Castleconnell didn't actually fare too badly in terms of days with 20c in June 2015. 10th June was the first day of the season to do so whilst one day of May that year (23 May 2015) and April (9 April 2015) had 20c or more at the station.

Mount Russell on the other hand after the very start of July had no 20c throughout July/August 2015 besides the 15th July.

Daily max temperatures for Castleconnell and Mount Russell (two Limerick climate stations) during Summer 2015.

k3bIIm0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

......finally stopped and brightness fighting to get through. Is there more rain expected ......event in Trim this pm, be great if rain held off

Kutebride wrote: »
    ......finally stopped and brightness fighting to get through. Is there more rain expected ......event in Trim this pm, be great if rain held off

there could be more rain this evening, plenty of showers to come over this weekend and into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Feels like a change in the air after the rain feels warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Feels warm outside in Cork, big change to last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Despite the rain I thought today seemed ever so slightly warmer than last couple of days here in Dublin at least. Heavy showers have been on and off all day here though but there's a bit of blue in the sky now hopefully it holds off this evening and into tommorrow. Looking to turn out as a real 4 seasons in one day type of day.

sunnier now, but very wet after the downpours, feeling slightly milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

VERY nice evening in the west !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Certainly milder now in Dublin. 14.8c in Dublin 16. Warmest for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark and wet in Letterkenny, lights on in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

More rain on the way for Kildare,I enjoyed the sunny spell while it lasted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1139571566386327552

15mm between 2 and 3pm at Ballyhaise Cavan ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Only takeaway from summer 2015 was the fact that June was dry and sunny for most, otherwise it was a dismal season with a lot of dull, cool and wet weather. July was among the worst I've experienced along with 2012. Meanwhile, mainland Europe was in the grips of a heatwave summer.

I can remember the end of June 2015 had really beautiful days with clear blue skies and plenty of sunshine. I particularly remember the 26th of June 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

km79 wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1139571566386327552

15mm between 2 and 3pm at Ballyhaise Cavan ????

That area has had a lot of rain already over the last week or so. Land will be wet there.

Lovely evening in the west. The sun came out and it was warm at the playground. Noticeably warmer today after a real chilly day yesterday.

I turned on the heating last night. The house isn't too warm either today. You would need it on to dry clothes hanging on clothes horses. Hopefully it will improve as the weeks go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A right miserable evening here now, pouring rain and street lights can't be far off coming on. Fire will be lit early tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think it's time to start dumping shares in Bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Rain falling in Kildare again

Torrents of rain falling now

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    VERY nice evening in the west !
    Speak for yourself. Vomiting rain all evening here with spot flooding.

New Moon

Advertisement