Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anybody have any advice for a first timer at Slane? What sort of things should be brought to it? I know it's a one day thing so not exactly a big multi day festival like Download, but I just want to be prepared for the event in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Anybody have any advice for a first timer at Slane? What sort of things should be brought to it? I know it's a one day thing so not exactly a big multi day festival like Download, but I just want to be prepared for the event in any case.

If you're only going for the one day, decent footwear, rain gear and patience should see you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

just met Lars on Merrrion st, wasn't over impressed when I asked for a picture...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

just met Lars on Merrrion st, wasn't over impressed when I asked for a picture...!

He wants you to pay for one in the meet and greet.

did you get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

yes, he actually tried cracking a smile for it. I do hate annoying him but 30 odd years of support, I deserve it :)

yes, he actually tried cracking a smile for it. I do hate annoying him but 30 odd years of support, I deserve it :)

Haha brilliant. good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Maybe he was annoyed cos you interrupted him making his way to some drum lessons. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

enjoy the gig tomorrow all

cant wait for it myself, in the golden circle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Happy Metallica Day !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

All in all a great day was had. The rain stopped just in time and it turned into quite a pleasant evening. The stage show was fantastic and sound quality where i was standing was great.

Thought the setlist was poor enough, not sure who they were catering to, cant imagine that casual Metallica fans were in the majority.
    The encore is just standard and run of the mill at this stage.
    Wouldn't it have been a much more satisfactory end to the night if they'd finished with Battery or Blackened or anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

weiland79 wrote: »
    All in all a great day was had. The rain stopped just in time and it turned into quite a pleasant evening. The stage show was fantastic and sound quality where i was standing was great.

Thought the setlist was poor enough, not sure who they were catering to, cant imagine that casual Metallica fans were in the majority.
    The encore is just standard and run of the mill at this stage.
    Wouldn't it have been a much more satisfactory end to the night if they'd finished with Battery or Blackened or anything else really.

It's Slane, so a set for the very casual fan.

Didn't bother with it myself, would rather see them in Aviva or 3 Arena when they come back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭KH25

Enjoyed the setlist myself. Thought Ghost were great too, really enjoyed their set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd say it's a certainty. It's an easy album to release, no writing needed. Bank a few million and give them a bit of a break before the next studio album in a few years time.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'd say it's a certainty. It's an easy album to release, no writing needed. Bank a few million and give them a bit of a break before the next studio album in a few years time.

Hopefully. Although I think we could do without any more Diamond Head covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I enjoyed it, even if the setlist wasn't the greatest, or that Hetfield did not seem as engaged as the previous times they were here. All in all I'd still be happy to go and see them again in Ireland - hopefully it's not another 10 years!

Last time I saw Metallica was at Marley Park in 09. So it was a long wait to see them again. Well worth the wait though. Metallica were good, as were Ghost. Didn't care for the other bands though, but I never expected to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thought all the bands were great, surprisingly enough. I was eyeing that Gibson LP gold top the guitarist in Fangclub had because the sound was mmm, yes I'll have some of that! Bokassa were good, Stiff Little Fingers were strange, I was kind of bored but then in retrospect only an hour later I was thinking they were quite enjoyable as well. I saw that they were playing fairly high end guitars but was a bit disappointed by the tones which were neither distorted nor clean. Ghost stole the show imo, wouldn't like to be in his band though, he seems a bit James Brownish with the stage directions but he completely owned the stage and audience. An absolute standout performance. Metallica were ok but I felt the sound mix was ****ty. The clean guitars sounded too choppy, the bass seemed a bit muddy, particularly where Trujillo was playing chordal patterns for the solo. Kirk's guitar was badly out of tune for The Unforgiven. I couldn't hear any timing issues with the double kick drums but I did hear the drums speeding up and slowing down and Lars getting lost in the beat when he played over-extended fills, like he was bored and wanted to distract himself. I would have preferred less new stuff and was hoping to hear Orion, AJFA, Battery, The Thing That Should Not Be etc. The Wild Rover left me completely out of the loop, I don't know the song or the lyrics. The fire show was good and provided some heat on an otherwise cold night.

My enjoyment would have been far greater if not for the idiot slam dancer who was punching my back in a totally crowded area and also the rivers of p1ss that formed from the portaloo fiasco, in which I bore witness to a reverse sh1t. Slane is a p1ss poor venue to see bands imo, too many people, not enough facilities and the threat of a mud avalanche ever present with the rain.

Yeah the portaloo fiasco was god awful. My friend found one with a used tampon in it, and another had a brown handmark running down the wall. I wouldn't want to shake hands with whoever did it.

I also know some people there who avoided going to the partaloos because of the state they were in so they P*ssed into empty beer cups and just poured the contents onto the ground. Not a pleasant sight.

I didn't drink that day so i'm thankful I was able to hold it in until I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Riddle101 wrote:
    I also know some people there who avoided going to the partaloos because of the state they were in so they P*ssed into empty beer cups and just poured the contents onto the ground. Not a pleasant sight.

This is exactly what I done, the poncho was very handy for that, nobody spotted me, not even those that were with me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah the portaloo fiasco was god awful. My friend found one with a used tampon in it, and another had a brown handmark running down the wall. I wouldn't want to shake hands with whoever did it.

I didn't drink that day so i'm thankful I was able to hold it in until I got home.

Hahahahahaha, that's amazing! What is wrong with people, they go completely nuts when it's a gig and they have a few beers. That's literally GG Allin level territory, smearing pooh on the walls like it was the 9th level of hell. Wow, just wow. Also the fact that there was a friggin' queue to get out of the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Metallica were in great form, I thought the set-list was fine and pretty much what you'd expect at a gig like Slane. Five songs frm their last album made sense as we haven't seen Metallica over here since 2009. Okay, maybe Rob singing The Wild Rover was a bit of a surprise, but I have no complaints over the set list.

Ghost were really good, surprisingly so for me as I didn't know much of their stuff. If they come over here on their own tour I will go and see them, as they were very entertaining. Cool masks!

As an an oldie Stiff Little Fingers were good to see again, they might be past their best but they were still rocking. They even threw in a new song, which was brave of Jake! So I enjoyed their set too.

I didn't see any of the other bands, but I really enjoyed the gig and the weather although poor at times with some heavy showers, held off once Metallica came on stage around 8:50. Great fun, great experience. Just waiting for it to be up on the Nugs site for streaming so I can listen to it again in my warm dry house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Really hope it doesn't take them another 10 years to come back.

Also this would've looked pretty cool on a t-shirt.

2019-06jun08_pic01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Personally, the set list was pretty poor and felt very casual. I was hoping for a few more tracks from Justice and Kill 'em All. The band seemed in great form musically but it felt like something was missing from the performance. I left right before the encore and i didn't feel like i was missing anything, i was glad to be on a bus and away early!

I would have much preferred to see them at a smaller venue, the RDS or even a 2 night 3 Arena set up, Slane is too much hassle to get in and out of and i think the size takes away from the experience too much.

All in all I was pretty disappointed and won't be spending 140+ euro to see them again any time soon.

I didn’t mind the set list and knew it was going to be along those lines but when you think about it, only 1 song from arguably their best album (little snippet of Orion excluded) is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Personally, the set list was pretty poor and felt very casual. I was hoping for a few more tracks from Justice and Kill 'em All. The band seemed in great form musically but it felt like something was missing from the performance. I left right before the encore and i didn't feel like i was missing anything, i was glad to be on a bus and away early!

I would have much preferred to see them at a smaller venue, the RDS or even a 2 night 3 Arena set up, Slane is too much hassle to get in and out of and i think the size takes away from the experience too much.

All in all I was pretty disappointed and won't be spending 140+ euro to see them again any time soon.

100% agree. The setlist was fairly woeful. Slane is terrible unless you're wasted. Defo wont waste the energy to go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

tusk wrote: »
    100% agree. The setlist was fairly woeful. Slane is terrible unless you're wasted. Defo wont waste the energy to go there again.

Yee will be missed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe just buy dvds of the gigs then...… :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

drove down this time. Stayed in the red carpark which was great. only a 10 minute walk, we left just as seek was playing so got out fairly quick too. Raging I didn't get one of the 'Meath' tshirts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I didn’t mind the set list and knew it was going to be along those lines but when you think about it, only 1 song from arguably their best album (little snippet of Orion excluded) is a bit strange.

Half the people there wouldn't know it.

Advertisement