Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You made me do things :(

are you in the club?

a mate was in two minds and he had a brief chat with me and casually said get golden circle ....when you get there you'll realise why.....

he rang me a while later apparently that convinced him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

are you in the club?

a mate was in two minds and he had a brief chat with me and casually said get golden circle ....when you get there you'll realise why.....

he rang me a while later apparently that convinced him :)

Hahaha, yeah, I'm in the club, good decision too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Finally got tickets to S&M 2 2. Can. Not. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Given that they're back out on the road touring, means new live videos, played for the first time since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Frantic, one of their better songs in fairness.

• Advertisement

It's a good song, and a nice surprise in the set, but I wouldn't go calling it one of their better songs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's a good song, and a nice surprise in the set, but I wouldn't go calling it one of their better songs to be honest.

Kinda nostalgia now for fans of a certain vintage, St. Anger was the first Metallica record I owned.

First concert 03 in the RDS w/ The Darkness and Linkin Park supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Kinda nostalgia now for fans of a certain vintage, St. Anger was the first Metallica record I owned.

Christ almighty.

On the other hand no matter what you listened to next it was always going to improve.

I suppose nostalgia does play a huge part,keep forgetting I'm also one of those fans of a certain vintage cause the St Anger title track was my introduction to the band way back in 2006. Then I discovered Master Of Puppets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Yup, my first album too.... it was the heaviest thing i had ever heard at that time so was pretty awestruck. Think there is some good stuff on there and it's become popular to not like it, almost a scapegoat if you will....

....however, since then I then I have broadened my horizon and St Anger has gone down the list somewhat but still remember it relatively fondly.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Christ almighty.

On the other hand no matter what you listened to next it was always going to improve.

Well TBF the first Metallica I heard was on a tape(!) the songs were Fade to Black, Bells and Sandman. It blew me away.

I didn't have Scuzz or MTV or any of that, so was relying on a friend to tape this stuff for me. Went out and bought St Anger because, well, it was the latest Metallica record. In Heatons of all places.

It went completely over my head, and I quickly went out and bought the first five albums and just let St Anger sit for a while :D It took me an age to get into Justice too, but it was obvious that the song writing was much MUCH better than anything on St Anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxOLAAwgLaj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ibsj6ii6czgc

Kirk creased himself off his whammy pedal last night. Maybe take that as a message Ripper

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fangclub and Stiff Little Fingers have been added to Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Fangclub and Stiff Little Fingers have been added to Slane

:eek: :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

greenspurs wrote: »
    :eek: :confused:

It was always going to be smallish bands being added at this stage. I’m just surprised I knew one of them.

WOnt be heading in early so....

And nothing there to get anyone thinking about going to go …… Limp line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I was going to start a new thread in case my post gets lost in here but does anyone know of any buses going from Dublin city to Slane and back that night?

I was going to start a new thread in case my post gets lost in here but does anyone know of any buses going from Dublin city to Slane and back that night?

There was posts about it on the Metallica Slane thread ?

Didn't see that! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Fangclub and Stiff little fingers added as support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Ah I dunno. The riff is good, basic, and catchy. I've been with Metallica since the late 80s, early 90s, and lost interest right around St Anger. I thought Frantic and St Anger were decent songs. Death Magnetic was ok too, but nothing really caught me off the last 2 albums.
    I think I've heard enough off the first 5 albums to not want to go and see them live again. I saw them twice and it seemed like it's enough for me. YouTube also adds in to that. There are so many live concert vids online, I don't feel the need to rush to Slane!! :o

Well TBF the first Metallica I heard was on a tape(!) the songs were Fade to Black, Bells and Sandman. It blew me away.

I didn't have Scuzz or MTV or any of that, so was relying on a friend to tape this stuff for me. Went out and bought St Anger because, well, it was the latest Metallica record. In Heatons of all places.

It went completely over my head, and I quickly went out and bought the first five albums and just let St Anger sit for a while :D It took me an age to get into Justice too, but it was obvious that the song writing was much MUCH better than anything on St Anger.

The first album I bought was the Black album. The next day I went and bought everything else! This was about 3 years before St. Anger.

I have a lot of good memories attached to St. Anger and it is a good album...just not a good Metallica album but I think that's down to the production on it rather than the songwriting. It's a very raw, garagey sound and I like that. People were just so used to the production on the black album, Load, Reload, Garage Inc. S&M etc. that they weren't expecting this raw, dirty sound (yes the snare is terrible).

Death Magnetic turned the production up a fair bit but there's something very sterile about it and it's way too loud. It was a good return to form of sorts but by fvck did Hardwired knock it out of the park. I love that album! To me it sounds like Death Magnetic meets the Black album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Metzger - your story replicates mine almost down to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Just listening to the song St Anger there. Haven't listened to it in about 10 years. Great tune. Awful drum sound. I can't remember any of the rest of the album. I know I persevered with it for as long as possible,but one day just could't take any more. And didn't listen to it since except the title tune.

The first album I bought was the Black album. The next day I went and bought everything else! This was about 3 years before St. Anger.

I have a lot of good memories attached to St. Anger and it is a good album...just not a good Metallica album but I think that's down to the production on it rather than the songwriting. It's a very raw, garagey sound and I like that. People were just so used to the production on the black album, Load, Reload, Garage Inc. S&M etc. that they weren't expecting this raw, dirty sound (yes the snare is terrible).

Death Magnetic turned the production up a fair bit but there's something very sterile about it and it's way too loud. It was a good return to form of sorts but by fvck did Hardwired knock it out of the park. I love that album! To me it sounds like Death Magnetic meets the Black album.

Yeah Black was the next one for me.

I actually think there are some decent tunes on St Anger (Purify and All Within My Hands are great) but there are some dire moments (My World, Sweet Amber, The Unnamed Feeling etc).

It's kinda iconic in it's own right now and I do appreciate it more what they were trying to do with that record.

DM was decent but a little 'lets wedge all our tricks and motifs into every single song and make it just work' while Hardwired is a more smooth and cohesive record.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just listening to the song St Anger there. Haven't listened to it in about 10 years. Great tune. Awful drum sound. I can't remember any of the rest of the album. I know I persevered with it for as long as possible,but one day just could't take any more. And didn't listen to it since except the title tune.

couple of good tracks on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

While not being a fan of any of the songs on the album, I really like the acoustic version of All Within My Hands from the recent charity gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

IMO there's nothing on that album that is any good. Terrible record from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Have to say i kinda like the snare drum on St Anger..... in parts. Suits some of the songs on it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

IMO there's nothing on that album that is any good. Terrible record from beginning to end.

I thought St.Anger & Frantic were ok tracks, nowhere near classic Metallica songs of course but listenable at the time... but yeah, the rest of the album was fairly forgettable.

I didn't have a problem with the drum sound, I had a problem with the rubbish songs.

Advertisement