Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pyr0 wrote: »

I would have much preferred to see them at a smaller venue, the RDS or even a 2 night 3 Arena set up, Slane is too much hassle to get in and out of and i think the size takes away from the experience too much.

All in all I was pretty disappointed and won't be spending 140+ euro to see them again any time soon.

If it was a smaller venue, how would you get tickets? There was 75,000 there on Sat night.

Hassle - theres hassle everywhere when 75,000 people leave someplace at the same time.

Price - €140 , my ticket cost me 100quid …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Personally, the set list was pretty poor and felt very casual.

Didn't think it was the ideal setlist myself but it was hardly what I'd describe as casual unless that's what you want to describe their last 20 odd years too as 6 of the songs they pretty much play every show leaving 12 too churn out and 5 were off the latest album...yeh yeh oh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

greenspurs wrote: »
    If it was a smaller venue, how would you get tickets? There was 75,000 there on Sat night.

Hassle - theres hassle everywhere when 75,000 people leave someplace at the same time.

Price - €140 , my ticket cost me 100quid …..

What? I'd try buy them of course? If i didn't get one because it sold out then whatever but judging by how many people I saw trying to sell theirs on I don't think it'd be a problem getting one next time.

Ticket cost me 106 euro but the transport to and from the gig was another 40 quid not including booking fees, so yeah the whole experience cost me mimum 140 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Started a new job today and am bitterly disappointed I didn't show up in a suit like tobias forge's red number... It was a work of art

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As far as Metallica's set list goes. It's pretty standard stuff really. They always play the best hits and then maybe add some songs from their newest album along with two random ones.

I actually appreciated the fact that played Frantic at Slane. It was something different but I can get behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I seen Hetfield did the solos for Whiskey - strange, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭KH25

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I seen Hetfield did the solos for Whiskey - strange, no?
    He’s always played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Personally, the set list was pretty poor and felt very casual. I was hoping for a few more tracks from Justice and Kill 'em All. The band seemed in great form musically but it felt like something was missing from the performance. I left right before the encore and i didn't feel like i was missing anything, i was glad to be on a bus and away early!

I would have much preferred to see them at a smaller venue, the RDS or even a 2 night 3 Arena set up, Slane is too much hassle to get in and out of and i think the size takes away from the experience too much.

All in all I was pretty disappointed and won't be spending 140+ euro to see them again any time soon.

I totally agree here. They were playing with energy but there was something missing and I can't put my finger on it other than that it didn't feel real and that's reaching a bit, but there was something absent. In retrospect I enjoyed it more than when I was there, being dehydrated, cold and hungry as there was no time to get food/drinks with the queues. Also possibly some of the fan-aticism was a bit off putting because there's always the possibility you might be seen not to be devoted enough and will face the inquisition (this happened at a Stone Roses gig with some dude asking why I wasn't enjoying myself). That being said any gig I go to I find it hard to share in the live experience and prefer to just chill out to the music instead of jumping around and showing my appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yee will be missed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe just buy dvds of the gigs then...… :cool:

You don't have to take it personally that some didn't think it was the greatest gig of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

They just spent the day in North Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

didn't fancy carrying the poster around all day so thought I'd buy online instead. SOLD OUT! do you think they'll come available again when they get back unsold ones from the gig or do you think that's already happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

This turned up in my YouTube recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Having only seen them a month ago I was hoping for at least a couple of changes in the set list and was happy enough with Whiskey and delighted with SOTB. As I was on a freebie/corporate gig getting in and out was a doddle and for the first time in many years I decided to not go barrelling to the front but stayed midway up the hill and really appreciated some of the production that you miss when you're up front like the pyro and lasers.

Solid performance from the lads and everyone in my vicinity seemed to be into it,headbanging and singing and enjoying the day. Never thought I'd see Metallica play Slane let alone pull a crowd that size,on a couple of occasions I found myself getting a little lump in my throat at the size of the crowd for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

lord lucan wrote: »
    Solid performance from the lads and everyone in my vicinity seemed to be into it,headbanging and singing and enjoying the day. Never thought I'd see Metallica play Slane let alone pull a crowd that size,on a couple of occasions I found myself getting a little lump in my throat at the size of the crowd for them.

Yep same here. Was delighted at the size of the crowd after all the negative speak about possible relocation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Kicked ass and sounded great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

D.Q wrote: »
    Was delighted at the size of the crowd after all the negative speak about possible relocation etc

I don't believe that was ever going to happen... it was probably just a 'some guy on the internet' sort of thing. There's always negativity where Metallica are concerned, after all, Metallica could never fill Slane could they?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Okon wrote: »
    I don't believe that was ever going to happen... it was probably just a 'some guy on the internet' sort of thing. There's always negativity where Metallica are concerned, after all, Metallica could never fill Slane could they?! :)

They filled it because it's Slane, loads of people would have went regardless of who was playing lets be honest here.

As a huge fan, I'm glad they pulled it off and it's good to see a metal band playing such a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They filled it because it's Slane, loads of people would have went regardless of who was playing lets be honest here.

As a huge fan, I'm glad they pulled it off and it's good to see a metal band playing such a venue.

Who ? :confused:
    All the people on here bitchin about Slane as a venue? About the traffic? About the queues ? About the price ? About the sound? About the buses ? About the lighting ? About the mud ? About the food ?

Personally I wouldn't just go 'regardless of who was playing' No way.
    I went cos I love Metallica for over 30 years.

ps. Has anyone seen Nal ?? :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Have to say, as a long time fan, it was fantastic to see so many kids there. Wonderful to have the younger generation be able to appreciate what I grew up moshing to.

I've been to some strange gigs over the years, for all different bands and acts from all different genres, and I'm proud to say that this was easily the most diverse gig I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

All the whinging jesus

Brilliant set list, great to hear old and new tunes, Halo was fantastic
    Lads were having a ball and rearranged their tour to make sure they played Slane.
    No problem with crowd, parking etc.
    Saw all the supports each were excellent especially Ghost who I hadn't listened to before

Brought my 12 year old who has now seen the Big 4 and to quote him on the way out "that was awesome dad"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Brought my 12 year old who has now seen the Big 4 and to quote him on the way out "that was awesome dad"

Seeing different generations at rock gigs always puts a smile on my face. Not a parent just bringing his son/daughter but both of them being fans with the Dad (or Mam) wearing the old T-shirt and the kid in the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

bunch of wholesome bastards aren't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I'm going to see them in Twickenham and am bringing my 14 year old nephew to it. It's his first concert and my first time seeing them so we are both pretty excited. My own kids are both aged under 3 so a bit young for a metal gig at the moment (although the missus was 6 months pregnant with number 1 when we saw Sabbath) but I fully intend to bring them to gigs when they are older. I saw paul McCartney just before Christmas and the demographic of ages at that was as broad as I've ever seen, I'd estimate it at probably 6 to 90, wonderful to see.

Great to see the next gen of rockers
    I picked up a set of ear defenders for my lad a few years ago for the Megadeth gig in 2015
    There's a place on Capel Street that does them, hearing aids etc not the ones you'd pick up in Woodies.
    Definitely need them for indoor gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Seeing different generations at rock gigs always puts a smile on my face. Not a parent just bringing his son/daughter but both of them being fans with the Dad (or Mam) wearing the old T-shirt and the kid in the new one.

You want to a good sign why heavy rock is finished , its looking around and realising that the only 14-15 year olds in the crowd have been brought along by their parents :D

Bambi wrote: »
    You want to a good sign why heavy rock is finished , its looking around and realising that the only 14-15 year olds in the crowd have been brought along by their parents :D

the 14-15 years olds that need an adult to bring them?

I for one have a next gen in the house
    You know you're on the right track when "Dragula" come on over the tannoy and your 12 year old says "that's Rob Zombie, Dad"

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Saw a lad about 14 in Slane with his dad with a Ride The Lightning t-shirt on just before Metallica came on bouncing with excitement, couldn't stand still, kept saying Dad Dad I'm going to see Metallica, I can't believe I'm going to see Metallica! T'wud do your heart good :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Thoroughly enjoyed that gig. Hadn't seen them since 04 and honestly wasn't expecting them to be up to much so I was very happy to get such a strong performance from them, James especially. Sure a few more classics would've been nice but on the whole I was happy with what we got.

Now, anyone got a spare Slane shirt they'd be willing to part with haha?! Got there late in the day and the 3 merch stalls I tried were sold out of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Testament1 wrote: »
    Now, anyone got a spare Slane shirt they'd be willing to part with haha?! Got there late in the day and the 3 merch stalls I tried were sold out of them!

Gold dust I'd say. I wonder what time they sold out at. What's the latest someone got one?

Advertisement