Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

D.Q wrote: »
    Fangclub and Stiff little fingers added as support

Rubbish
    Fangclub ffs
    Slf are abt 70

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

mean gene wrote: »
    Slf are abt 70

Jake burns is about 5 years older than young un James Hetfield :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Okon wrote: »
    I thought St.Anger & Frantic were ok tracks, nowhere near classic Metallica songs of course but listenable at the time... but yeah, the rest of the album was fairly forgettable.

I didn't have a problem with the drum sound, I had a problem with the rubbish songs.

St Anger - the album - is ****, and the "Frantic, tick, tick, tick, tock" chorus is f***ing pathetic.

mean gene wrote: »
    Rubbish
    Fangclub ffs
    Slf are abt 70

Am only going for Ghost and Metallica really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

My first Metallica album was puppets, on cassette in maybe 88 or 89. Listened to them heavily for a number of years but they have really dropped from my playlists. Wasn't arsed with Slane but as it happens my nephew (14) is big into them and his mam asked would I go with him and she would get the tickets. They live in the UK so she ended up buying two gold circle tickets for Twickenham. I'm looking forward to seeing them as I never have before so it's nice to tick them off the list but looking at the last few set lists the line up hasn't been too inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

St Anger - the album - is ****, and the "Frantic, tick, tick, tick, tock" chorus is f***ing pathetic.

Mickey you've actually been giving out about Metallica for over 10 years now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

but looking at the last few set lists the line up hasn't been too inspiring.

Don't quite get these complaints about setlists. They've been mixing it up quite a bit recently IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My first Metallica album was puppets, on cassette in maybe 88 or 89. Listened to them heavily for a number of years but they have really dropped from my playlists. Wasn't arsed with Slane but as it happens my nephew (14) is big into them and his mam asked would I go with him and she would get the tickets. They live in the UK so she ended up buying two gold circle tickets for Twickenham. I'm looking forward to seeing them as I never have before so it's nice to tick them off the list but looking at the last few set lists the line up hasn't been too inspiring.

Firstly, commiserations over the ship that won't go to Liverpool:(
    Regarding Metallica, I, like yourself, don't listen to them too much these days, due to mainly listening to more extreme metal, but Metallica are a good live band and their set list is quite decent of late. I will be at the Twickenham gig also. I had intended to go to Slane but changed my mind. I think i might regret that decision as they will probably be more up for the Slane gig. Also I've been told Slane is a good venue to watch a live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Firstly, commiserations over the ship that won't go to Liverpool:(
    Regarding Metallica, I, like yourself, don't listen to them too much these days, due to mainly listening to more extreme metal, but Metallica are a good live band and there set list is quite decent of late. I will be at the Twickenham gig also. I had intended to go to Slane but changed my mind. I think i might regret that decision as they will probably be more up for the Slane gig. Also I've been told Slane is a good venue to watch a live band.

Terrible venue for me anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Degag wrote: »
    Don't quite get these complaints about setlists. They've been mixing it up quite a bit recently IMO

Have they though? The opener's the same, they still end with S&D and the encore always ends with NEM and ES.

And if you don't count the usual songs they always play (One, SBT, MOP etc.) and a couple off the latest album, there's only about 4-5 other songs they play and it seems to be from a pool of about 10 songs that they pick these 4-5 songs from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Have they though? The opener's the same, they still end with S&D and the encore always ends with NEM and ES.

And if you don't count the usual songs they always play (One, SBT, MOP etc.) and a couple off the latest album, there's only about 4-5 other songs they play and it seems to be from a pool of about 10 songs that they pick these 4-5 songs from.

I think if one looked at the amount of different songs they've played since the start of the overall tour they'd be surprised. And i'm not even on about the covers they did each gig for a while. Agree though the the playing of the new stuff reduces the amount of slots they can mix it up.

Regarding always playing One, MOP etc, i guarantee there'd be alot more people giving out about them not playing those songs than praising them for mixing it up more. TBH, if i go to a Metallica gig i always want to hear them.

As for always playing ES last, i like it, almost tradition in a way. They did move S&D to third in the setlist for a good while and ended on MOP (i think) before the encore which worked well i thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Going to be seeing them in Estonia of all places in July - Can’t wait.. honestly wouldn’t be the biggest fan of them, but like most of the songs on their setlist that everyone would know

Mickey you've actually been giving out about Metallica for over 10 years now :)

Just St Anger

Just St Anger

Big fan of Lulu though.......????

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm the same as a lot of you , as the older stuff (first 4 or 5 albums) falls off the set list my interest in seeing them diminishes.
    Having said that I haven't exactly been listening to their newer stuff constantly either.

That being said , I'm going to Slane - Gold Circle and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'd much rather see Anthrax with John Bush on the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

grenadino wrote: »
    I'd much rather see Anthrax with John Bush on the bill!

Now we're talking!

I like Lulu, Brandenburg Gate is a great tune as is Iced Honey, esp the 30th anniversary version of that track.

*ducks for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I like Lulu, Brandenburg Gate is a great tune as is Iced Honey, esp the 30th anniversary version of that track.

I also like the couple of songs they did on the 30th anniversary shows, but the album is a big pile of sh1te.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I also like the couple of songs they did on the 30th anniversary shows, but the album is a big pile of sh1te.

I think there was a lot of great ideas there, but the execution was off to put it mildly.

Been playing orion all week on bass... Jaysus christ it's a work of art

• Advertisement

Now we're talking!

*ducks for cover

I like lulu.

Been playing orion all week on bass... Jaysus christ it's a work of art

Funnily enough that's my fav Metallica tune!

There's a cool version on the remaster box set that has James playing keys as a filler track;

You must be joking?? Her voice gets on my nerves

You must be joking?? Her voice gets on my nerves

Id prefer to listen to Shout on repeat than James Hetfield telling us he’s a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Daveone

Hi Everyone

I am trying to sell my ticket for Metallica on June 8th in Slane. 100 euro ono.

Let me know if interested, and we can figure out the logistics from there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You might be better off posting in THIS THREAD

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Daveone

You might be better off posting in THIS THREAD

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Planet Rock went behind the scenes at Metallica's gig in Paris recently.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/metallica-worldwired-tour-in-numbers-statistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I presume we'll see those screens at Slane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I presume we'll see those screens at Slane?

Definitely, the photo of the stage used in the article is what we'll be getting at Slane Castle in a few weeks time.

Advertisement