Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open racism is ok if it's for the progressive cause.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Are you sure you've thought through your argument?

I just looked at the Ghana government and it's all black people.

I just looked at the Nigerian soccer team and it's all black men.

I just looked at the Kenyan Central Bank and it's all black people.

So doesn't it make sense most Irish politicians, industry leaders and sports people will be white?

In fact, I'm pretty sure our soccer team, who are playing right now, have two black players. Yet 20% of Ireland is not black.

Movies which are about action usually have a male lead.

This makes sense. Look at the gender makeup of the military.

The reality (fortunately or unfortunately) is violence is the realm of men.

Most victims of violence are men.

This is not true.

Especially in the current climate.

Every time a woman achieves something, or participates in a group achievement, you'll see a BBC story about her.

Women get so much praise whenever they achieve something.

Absolutely perfect reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Some people like to talk about gigantic groups of people, but in reality they're usually talking out of their own selfish hole.

"women" = a very small proportion of women in basically anglo-saxon countries, very arguably the best place on earth for women. Women in Somalia? "Who gives a ****!"

It's all about me me me me me, dressed up in sheep's clothing to disguise complete self-interested bias.

No problems with self-interest, but don't be a sneak about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Mrsmum wrote: »
    In politics, in industry, in sport, it's all white males.

In movies look at women's roles in comparison to men.

See how women are objectified,harassed and attacked just because of their sex.

See how women are written out of history as if herstory is of no importance.

That's just from a straight woman's pov. I'm sure other groups see other advantages that both men and women have over them. It's life.

What makes me laugh about todays feminists, is how blind they are to white mans personal failures...the amount of men who have invested time/energy/money and failed is much longer than anybody else...

The vast majority of business that fail are owned by men.
    The vast majority of people who give tens of thousands of hours to sport and fail are men.
    The vast majority of people who fail to get elected are men.
    The vast majority of people whose inventions fail are men.
    The vast majority of people who work long hours in the hope of getting a promotion and fail, are men.

Feminists are blind to it because it is a middle class women's entitlement movement...entitlements that are not afforded to men, most men know, success is hard hard earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Well actually I was speaking of Ireland as that's where I live and experience day to day life.
    But also apart from newborns we are not starting from today. We are all influenced by the generation before us. It's perhaps telling that some of you don't see that as it almost proves the point that you already without even noticing had what others feel they had to overcome. Women are now out of the home but for a lot of women their roles models were very much tied to the home, they were very few female surgeons, engineers, captains of industry, politicians or even civil servants to be influenced by and to aspire to. It's a lot harder to be what you can't see. There is also often a conflict in women between having and nurturing kids and work that certainly up to very recently men did not experience. And as for history women were very much written out.

I don't really understand what the upset for men is in acknowledging certain advantages. I know I have many advantages over other people, men and women, because of my upbringing, my accent, my education etc apart from what I earned for myself and certain disadvantages too. I don't see the big deal. We are not all equal in terms of privilege.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Well actually I was speaking of Ireland as that's where I live and experience day to day life.
    But also apart from newborns we are not starting from today. We are all influenced by the generation before us. It's perhaps telling that some of you don't see that as it almost proves the point that you already without even noticing had what others feel they had to overcome. Women are now out of the home but for a lot of women their roles models were very much tied to the home, they were very few female surgeons, engineers, captains of industry, politicians or even civil servants to be influenced by and to aspire to. It's a lot harder to be what you can't see. There is also often a conflict in women between having and nurturing kids and work that certainly up to very recently men did not experience. And as for history women were very much written out.

I don't really understand what the upset for men is in acknowledging certain advantages. I know I have many advantages over other people, men and women, because of my upbringing, my accent, my education etc apart from what I earned for myself and certain disadvantages too. I don't see the big deal. We are not all equal in terms of privilege.

Can you not spot the hypocrisy and logical flaw of categorising and defining people by skin colour, sex, accent etc. ?

• Advertisement

What makes me laugh about todays feminists, is how blind they are to white mans personal failures...the amount of men who have invested time/energy/money and failed is much longer than anybody else...

The vast majority of business that fail are owned by men.
    The vast majority of people who give tens of thousands of hours to sport and fail are men.
    The vast majority of people who fail to get elected are men.
    The vast majority of people whose inventions fail are men.
    The vast majority of people who work long hours in the hope of getting a promotion and fail, are men.

Feminists are blind to it because it is a middle class women's entitlement movement...entitlements that are not afforded to men, most men know, success is hard hard earned!

You really think women don't know all this. Those men are our fathers, brothers, husbands, sons and we suffer along with them. But lets pretend men are doing this without even the knowledge never mind the support and even the despair of the women in their lives.

Ah yes...the old classic "if you don't agree with me you are part of the problem" chestnut....that is infantile!

Ya, everyone who doesn't live in a Communist state has some disadvantage or advantage over others...trust me it's better this way!

You really think women don't know all this. Those men are our fathers, brothers, husbands, sons and we suffer along with them. But lets pretend men are doing this without even the knowledge never mind the support and even the despair of the women in their lives.

I said feminists, not women.

so instead of all this eqaully sexist and racist pissing and moaning about males and white skin colour, where's the support and encouragement and call for equality for disadvantage white irish men as well ?

Nobelium wrote: »
    Can you not spot the hypocrisy and logical flaw of categorising and defining people by skin colour, sex, accent etc. ?

If we didn't categorise, we would never have DEIS schools for example. They are meant to counteract disadvantages certain kids have. But on an individual level a kid in D4 could be in far greater need. I don't see any flaw in seeing both circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

U ok hun? xxx

Is it 2015?

If we didn't categorise, we would never have DEIS schools for example. They are meant to counteract disadvantages certain kids have. But on an individual level a kid in D4 could be in far greater need. I don't see any flaw in seeing both circumstances.

are they categorising people by certain sex, skin colour, or accent in they way you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

What racism is the OP complaining about? I'm seeing a lot of mentions of unemployed protesters but not a whole lot to support the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Can't turn on football or gaa coverage anymore without there being a woman either presenting or on the panel.
    They have whinged their way into men's sport

so instead of all this eqaully sexist and racist pissing and moaning about males and white skin colour, where's the support and encouragement and call for equality for disadvantage white irish men as well ?[/QUOTE

Of course, on an example by example basis, everything that is possible to do for disadvantaged men should be done. Like for instance I'm always banging on about we should have more male teachers as I can see from my own kids, school is too female centred and not as suited to boys natural high energy personalities and their interests. And also mental and physical health programmes focused on men is very important. As well as programmes to tackle addictions like drink, drugs and gambling which tend to be concentrated higher in males, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Can't turn on football or gaa coverage anymore without there being a woman either presenting or on the panel.
    They have whinged their way into men's sport

I wonder will all the feminists who give out about the pay gap in sports and lack of coverage of women's sports, will they be tuning into the women world that's on now ??? Haven't seen any posts on from girls on Facebook about it. But I've seen plenty about love island from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

where's the support and encouragement and call for equality for disadvantage white irish men as well ?
    The call for equality is from those men surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This thread is peak After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Women do better in school.

Women do better in university.

Women do better in their career until they decide to have children and reduce their working hours.

Women are less likely to be at the bottom of society (homeless or in prison).

Women are less likely to die in work.

Women are less likely to have to fight in a war or die in a war.

Women are less likely to commit suicide.

Women are less likely to die young.

Women are less likely to be the victim of violence.

Because it's becoming almost impossible to argue women are worse off then men, modern feminists are having to resort to saying things like "we don't have as many role models from previous generations because not as many women used to work as surgeons, engineers, etc."

If that's really the sort of "problem" you're facing, maybe you need to stop complaining and instead be unbelievably grateful you have such a privileged life.

Oh btw, almost everything around you was invented or built by men. You're welcome.

If that's really the sort of "problem" you're facing, maybe you need to stop complaining and instead be unbelievably grateful you have such a privileged life.

I want to add this:

I know feminists will never stop complaining because:

a) There are too many professional feminists who make a living from it. They'll always need to come up with new angles of oppression. (Coming soon: How toilet paper is designed for the male anus).

b) A lot of women (not all, not the majority) like to live in a victim state, where they can blame their failures on an outside force, so even if we could categorically prove women are doing better than men in every aspect of life, they'd dismiss it and continue blaming men and society for their inability to run a FTSE 500 company.

• Advertisement

Women do better in school.

Women do better in university.

Women do better in their career until they decide to have children and reduce their working hours.

Women are less likely to be at the bottom of society (homeless or in prison).

Women are less likely to die in work.

Women are less likely to have to fight in a war or die in a war.

Women are less likely to commit suicide.

Women are less likely to die young.

Women are less likely to be the victim of violence.

Because it's becoming almost impossible to argue women are worse off then men, modern feminists are having to resort to saying things like "we don't have as many role models from previous generations because not as many women used to work as surgeons, engineers, etc."

Oh btw, almost everything around you was invented or built by men. You're welcome.

Practically all of the above, I have referenced in my post no 226 and yet you list them out as if you are educating me on something I don't know.
    However it is also true that women as a group have come from a starting point far behind men.
    And as for the statement that everything was invented by men, well they would do wouldn't they as they were the ones allowed out in the world. When men went off to war, women threw off the pinnies, donned the overalls and managed to keep the show on the road perfectly well. And even while they were at home having multiple children, it's not like they were idle. Bringing up children is no small job either you know. But it is so easy to dismiss it in favour of men who eg laid railway tracks. He worked, she did nothing.
    And if men are in trouble today, should they not be doing more for themselves. I mean women are fantastic for organising together to get things done but if I as a woman set out to improve things for men, I will do it according to my female experience of life which probably won't reach what men need at all. So to a certain extent, you kinda have to do it for yourselves.

Practically all of the above, I have referenced in my post no 226 and yet you list them out as if you are educating me on something I don't know.
    However it is also true that women as a group have come from a starting point far behind men.
    And as for the statement that everything was invented by men, well they would do wouldn't they as they were the ones allowed out in the world. When men went off to war, women threw off the pinnies, donned the overalls and managed to keep the show on the road perfectly well. And even while they were at home having multiple children, it's not like they were idle. Bringing up children is no small job either you know. But it is so easy to dismiss it in favour of men who eg laid railway tracks. He worked, she did nothing.
    And if men are in trouble today, should they not be doing more for themselves. I mean women are fantastic for organising together to get things done but if I as a woman set out to improve things for men, I will do it according to my female experience of life which probably won't reach what men need at all. So to a certain extent, you kinda have to do it for yourselves.

When are you going to start living today instead of in the past?

You have admitted you know women are doing better than men, yet you keep clinging to the past so you can claim women are victims.

At least you have the honesty to admit feminism is not about equality but rather about getting a better deal for women.

You have admitted you know women are doing better than men, yet you keep clinging to the past so you can claim women are victims.

At least you have the honesty to admit feminism is not about equality but rather about getting a better deal for women.

You are seeing what you want to see. I want nothing but the best for men as they are my family. We're all connected, you know.

You are seeing what you want to see. I want nothing but the best for men as they are my family. We're all connected, you know.

My opinion is based on all the posts you've made. Your angle has been white males are a problem, and women are victims.

I'm glad to see you want men to do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I’m living in today. I’m very grateful that I was born when I was and I fully acknowledge now is the best time there has ever been to be a woman in Ireland.

I can still see that woman are dramatically underrepresented at the highest levels of power- politics, the judiciary, business, medicine.

And I’m not okay with that.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    I’m living in today. I’m very grateful that I was born when I was and I fully acknowledge now is the best time there has ever been to be a woman in Ireland.

I can still see that woman are dramatically underrepresented at the highest levels of power- politics, the judiciary, business, medicine.

And I’m not okay with that.

It's not men's fault.

Women need to realise they have to compete and be the best if they want the best roles.

I know a few CEOs (and similar) and they're always working. I'm talking 7 days a week. This includes some women. You have to be willing to give up most of your family life if you want to be at the top. I don't know many women willing to do that, but I know a lot of men willing to do that. For the record I think these people are making a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

It's not men's fault.

Women need to realise they have to compete and be the best if they want the best roles.

I know a few CEOs (and similar) and they're always working. I'm talking 7 days a week. This includes some women. You have to be willing to give up most of your family life if you want to be at the top. I don't know many women willing to do that, but I know a lot of men willing to do that. For the record I think these people are making a mistake.

I didn’t say it’s men’s fault. I believe that a variety of factors; history, culture, systems etc combine to create an outcome I’m not okay with.

I believe men could do more to change the system, but I don’t believe it is men’s fault as such.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    I didn’t say it’s men’s fault. I believe that a variety of factors; history, culture, systems etc combine to create an outcome I’m not okay with.

I believe men could do more to change the system, but I don’t believe it is men’s fault as such.

I don't agree.

Women (some) need to drop the victim mentality and start taking responsibility for their success.

I know the head of a large Asian bank. She's a woman. She is childless, works all the time, and miserable. That's the kind of sacrifice it takes.

Why would you want that?

BTW this will be my last comment on this topic.

There are roughly 8 billion people in the world.

Roughly half are women, half are men.

How many women will not get to be the head of multinationals and in government? Almost all.

How many men will not get to be the head of multinationals and in government? Almost all.

That's right, all this waaahhh why aren't there more women running FTSE 500 companies logic applies to virtually all men too.

It's not a gender problem.

• Advertisement

BTW this will be my last comment on this topic.

There are roughly 8 billion people in the world.

Roughly half are women, half are men.

How many women will not get to be the head of multinationals and in government? Almost all.

How many men will not get to be the head of multinationals and in government? Almost all.

That's right, all this waaahhh why aren't there more women running FTSE 500 companies logic applies to virtually all men too.

It's not a gender problem.

I was just considering writing pretty much the exact same thing.

It's remarkable that people in the 99.9999999% make themselves upset at the statistics of the 0.0000000001%. The most comical is when people get upset that their favourite movie star made a few million less than her male counterpart, while working minimum wage themselves.

Advertisement