Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open racism is ok if it's for the progressive cause.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Welcome to After Hours, where all roads lead to either feminism or Islam.

A question worth pondering perhaps...

The fact that so many people have an issue with feminism and Islam, instead of assuming they're sexists and racists, maybe there really is a problem these ideologies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    A question worth pondering perhaps...

The fact that so many people have an issue with feminism and Islam, instead of assuming they're sexists and racists, maybe there really is a problem these ideologies?

But there's more Muslims on the planet and growing, maybe it's everyone else that's wrong? :rolleyes:
    Also what's so scary about feminism for you, is it the hairy armpits?
    I'd say letting people get on with their lives is the way to go, except if it in fringes on others going about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    That’s not in line with my life experience at all. From political societies in college to a brief flirtation with the SocDems when they started out to the Repeal campaign, I’ve found the ratio of men to women my age who are interested in politics and well educated on it is about 60:40.

Granted my friend group (male and female) is more politically engaged than the average population.

I’ve noticed that even among my most politically engaged friends, the men are far more likely to put themselves forward than equally capable and ambitious women, and I’d be interested to find out why.

These women will canvass, fundraise and generally do leg work for their party’s local candidate but are reluctant to run themselves despite obvious political interest and ambitions.

They are obviously not ambitious enough...simple really, (you could also argue they are not stupid enough to run for elections)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

But there's more Muslims on the planet and growing, maybe it's everyone else that's wrong? :rolleyes:
    I'd say letting people get on with their lives is the way to go, except if it in fringes on others going about their business.

Hairy armpits? You are kidding. I've seen on boards one young modern chap after another express revulsion for the very idea of female hair, not to mention the lassies themselves. Shipwrecks would be boring affairs if one was to go by the general reaction. Think you might be mixing up feminists and hippies.

On Islam, I just reread Submission by Michel Houellebecq this week. A satire worth a look. Michel is an odd and divisive, though strangely prescient man.

I'll answer.

I believe Islam needs to be modernised (sort of the way Christianity had a reformation), and I think more needs to be done to stop the extremists. However I can totally understand why a lot of people from places like Iran, Iraq and Syria are big time angry at the US. (There's a reason places like Ireland don't experience the wrath suicide bombers...)

I have three big problems with feminism:

1. Feminists almost never think through their arguments. It's incredibly frustrating. I hate to say this, because I know it will hurt some people's feelings, but I'm beginning to think feminism attracts people of low intellect. The "smart" feminists always seem to be making money from it (professional activists), so I think they know it's a crock.

2. The things they complain about today (in the West) are either plain wrong (nothing to do with sexism) or ridiculous ("I'm judged if I wear the same dress to two consecutive parties"). (Note: What?!)

3. The male feminists. What a bunch of weak creeps. I'm even shaking my head as I type this. It's so transparent you're virtue signalling in the hopes of getting a hand-job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I like old school feminists like Steinem and Paglia, but today's are utterly insufferable.

Yeah I feel like slapping people for stuff like "you get judged on wearing the same outfit twice". How about: "you have to walk ten miles to get a bucket of diseased water for your children"?

Or "you get banished to a faraway hut every month until your womanly curse is over"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I like old school feminists like Steinem and Paglia, but today's are utterly insufferable.

Paglia is a great person. By God, she is taking a hammering these days. Cretans trying to get her fired. The fecking gobdaws could not tell rare talent if it smacked them. I'm not hugely fluent in her work but her youtube lectures and interviews are good.

That dreadful Dworkin seems to be making some sort of a comeback. One of my sons found an old copy of her book Intercourse and read it before I could wrestle it from him. I've felt guilty since that I facilitated in some small way any disillusionment in him :pac:

I think (almost) every single male in the West thinks the way women are treated in parts of Africa or the Middle East is terrible.

And every single one of these males would get behind "feminism" if it was trying to improve the conditions for these women.

But I almost never hear feminists talking about this stuff. It's always nonsense like gender quotas, the patriarchy (worst patriarchy ever!) or other things which cannot be solved due to them being a choice (don't blame me you chose to study English instead of Computer Science) or biology (women aren't as strong or aggressive as men, I'm sorry, that's just the way it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Submission is a fantastic book.

All of his books are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The mind Boggles. There is an entire
    Asylum seeking process does exactly that. It checks everything about their story. At the end of the process they are either granted asylum or sent home.

At no time during this process are they illegal immigrants

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Almost got me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    I notice that you dismissed the report based on the fact that they used some alliteration and then completely ignored the substantive points made in it?

E.g. Childcare: The D regularly has late sittings that go on into the night even though there is no actual need for them to do this. A simple policy change of “outside of emergencies we never sit after 8pm” would be beneficial to parents.

Confidence/Culture: Not everybody went to college Zorya, and of those that did, not everyone was interested in politics at 19. If you’re trying to get into politics at 36 and 70% of your local TDs and Councillors (as well as the party membership) are male, that can be intimidating. If it wouldn’t intimidate you, good for you. Why are you against any attempt to make politics more accessible for women?

Candidate selection: Do some research on affinity bias.

Ultimately if you’re happy with just 1 in 5 politicians being female, grand I guess. You’re entitled to hold that opinion. But when you actively oppose attempts by others to do better, it is upsetting for people who care deeply about this stuff.

Don't female politicians have partners?? Can't they look after the children?? Who looks after male politicians children, i'd presume it is their partners.

Re: Confidence, if having more male than female party members intimidates you, then politics isn't for you baby. ;)

I won't bother taking apart the rest of the guff.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement