Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

As I joked about earlier in the thread, my visiting Aussie cousins were wearing wooly hats, scarves and Winter coats to the Taylor Swift Concert at Croker on June 19th 2018. Now obviously Perth natives dressed for Winter in an Irish Summer isn't indicative of a June 19th 2018 with weather like the last few days cause they'd likely have worn the same if it were 20 degrees, but I don't recall that day/night being overly warm for us Irish natives either. However, a day or two after that concert they headed out West to Galway to be greeted by cloudless skies and 30ºc temps while we Irish cousins remaining at home on the East coast were basking in a more comfortable 25ºc. So as far as I remember it wasn't till the Equinox on June 21st that the fantastic Summer of 2018 really got going.

In other words.......

WTF are people doing already writing off this Summer!!!

It was another 2 or 3 weeks from now before the legendary Summer of 2018 really got started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Calibos wrote: »

It was another 2 or 3 weeks from now before the legendary Summer of 2018 really got started.

I remember I started a job in Dublin on 30th April last year and the weather was nice for weeks on end right from the off. It's the fact we've had absolutely nothing yet in May or June that's disappointing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As I joked about earlier in the thread, my visiting Aussie cousins were wearing wooly hats, scarves and Winter coats to the Taylor Swift Concert at Croker on June 19th 2018. Now obviously Perth natives dressed for Winter in an Irish Summer isn't indicative of a June 19th 2018 with weather like the last few days cause they'd likely have worn the same if it were 20 degrees, but I don't recall that day/night being overly warm for us Irish natives either. However, a day or two after that concert they headed out West to Galway to be greeted by cloudless skies and 30ºc temps while we Irish cousins remaining at home on the East coast were basking in a more comfortable 25ºc. So as far as I remember it wasn't till the Equinox on June 21st that the fantastic Summer of 2018 really got going.

In other words.......

that's not really true... sure the grass was burned by early June

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

lawred2 wrote: »
    that's not really true... sure the grass was burned by early June

Are you out west? Perhaps the dryness and warmth started earlier in the west of the country. That said, I do think I remember that there wasn't much rain weeks before the Summer really kicked off, but I don't remember blue skies and warmth.

Perhaps my memory is faulty but I don't recall thinking to myself, "Typical, great Summer weather till the Aussie Cousins arrived....Oh thank God, its great again...'.

Instead, I seem to remember, 'dammit, why couldn't we just once have a great Summer while the Aussie cousins are over, look at them in their Wooly hats and scarves and Winter coats.....OMG, I don't believe it, We have a real Summer a few days after their arrival and for the rest of their 1 month stay, even the grass is burning!! Woohoo!'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are you out west? Perhaps the dryness and warmth started earlier in the west of the country. That said, I do think I remember that there wasn't much rain weeks before the Summer really kicked off, but I don't remember blue skies and warmth.

Perhaps my memory is faulty but I don't recall thinking to myself, "Typical, great Summer weather till the Aussie Cousins arrived....Oh thank God, its great again...'.

Instead, I seem to remember, 'dammit, why couldn't we just once have a great Summer while the Aussie cousins are over, look at them in their Wooly hats and scarves and Winter coats.....OMG, I don't believe it, We have a real Summer a few days after their arrival and for the rest of their 1 month stay, even the grass is burning!! Woohoo!'

:D
    I am in the east and we have photos of the grandchild in short and t shirt on Donabate strand by early June .We had visitors on May the 4th and we are all out in t shirts in the back garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In other words.......

Unfortunately, it’s just not true Calibos and we have a very different atmospheric setup this year to then.

I finished my summer exams on 29th May to perfect weather conditions. Had the pool in my garden well and truly going for two whole weeks. It was so nice! It turned cloudier and cooler by the 11th with westerlies getting going and Storm Hector on 14th but in the south and east, it remained largely dry. 19th brought a warm southwesterly flow with heavy rain to the NW - it was a weird day as it was cloudy and felt cool to start then it was balmy with some sunny spells by the evening. High pressure built in on the 21st but temperatures were below average with very cool nights though plenty of clear skies. It wasn’t until June 24th that we saw at least 25c in a fair few places if I remember correctly. I went to Bray Seafront that evening and it was my favourite time of the entire summer with blue skies, low 20s, little wind, absolutely perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

In other words.......

I think perhaps your memory has failed you a bit. In Dublin at least we’d GLORIOUS weather for the May BH as I was playing in a tennis tournament that weekend. We’d people over from all over Europe and everyone commented how great the weather was. I also remember that the day of the referendum on 25th was a scorcher too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Whatever about last year it’s cool and showery here today. Aprilesque. What’s this storm Miguel that the red tops are mentioning?

Whatever about last year it’s cool and showery here today. Aprilesque. What’s this storm Miguel that the red tops are mentioning?

It shouldn't affect you,it might fringe the east coast
    It's a lot of heavy rain named by the Spanish met service
    I'm expecting some rain in east Wicklow from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

An unusually deep area of low pressure for the time of year forming in the Bay of Biscay right now set to bring heavy rain to England and Wales tomorrow - it’s likely to bring rain to east of Ireland too later on Friday and Saturday. Named by the Spanish met.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That was the freak weather, this is normal summer weather if not a little bit cooler than usual. My memories of summers in Ireland are blustery showery crap making it hard to do anything outdoors, with a week or so of proper summer days.

last years weather was rare, but the past 5 days is also well below standard, even by Irish summer standards with Jet dipping below southern Spain. The temperature difference between Ireland/UK/western France, Northern Spain, compared to the rest of Europe is not normal either.

We were between 4 to 5C below normal over past few days and parts of France and Spain well over 10C below normal for the time of year.

Gonzo wrote: »
    last years weather was rare, but the past 5 days is also well below standard, even by Irish summer standards with Jet dipping below southern Spain. The temperature difference between Ireland/UK/western France, Northern Spain, compared to the rest of Europe is not normal either.
    Not universally terrible everywhere in Ireland since the start of June,its nice here in Arklow today and was lovely all day yesterday too
    Ditto in Clare at the other side of the island if the live pictures from Shannon were anything to go by
    The canary islands certainly look 7 or 8c below where they should be
    Nice in the south of France at 23 to 26c is probably 3 degrees below where it should be

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temp_eur2.png

Today temperatures are making a slight recovery. Here in Meath we are about 2 or 3C warmer than the past few days but still under where the temperatures should be for time of year.

Central France is definitely making a recovering, today many parts are 16-19C, yesterday some of these areas were only 6 or 7C.

The cold has pushed eastwards in taken over large parts of Germany and Switzerland with temperatures in the single digits in some parts, yesterday these areas were over 30C.

Much of Spain has also made a recovery but still very cool in the north-west corner with temperatures similar to what Ireland has today.

The warmth from eastern Europe has pushed up right across Sweden and Norway with temperatures close to 20C near the northern most parts and well into the 20s elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

compsys wrote: »
    I think perhaps your memory has failed you a bit. In Dublin at least we’d GLORIOUS weather for the May BH as I was playing in a tennis tournament that weekend. We’d people over from all over Europe and everyone commented how great the weather was. I also remember that the day of the referendum on 25th was a scorcher too.

Yeah, I had a week off from the 21st May last year and it was absolutely cracking weather throughout (spent half each in the West and East)

I remember this weekend coming's equivalent last year was incredible weather too, I was visiting Dublin and everyone was going around in shorts on the saturday.

My lawnmower was basically put away from the end of may to the end of July last year. Grass was definitely burned from early June

latest ensembles for Dublin show the possiblities of a very wet weekend to come with large rainfall spikes, particularly Saturday 8th of June and some very cool temperatures through Sunday and Monday.

Looks like things will dry out a good deal next week, with rainfall spikes much reduced next week, which is a positive sign. Temperatures also making a recovery to where they should be from about the 12th of June, but they look like staying near normal with nothing properly warm showing other than from a few outlying members.

Fingers crossed, once we get through this weekend, we may be through the worst of this wet spell.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-06&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

It's really only the east coastal counties that has a threat of very heavy rain on Saturday. Away from the east coast, looks like a dryer weekend, with possibly only a few showers.

Galway's ensembles look ok for the next few days with not much rain over the coming week and temperatures recovering from mid week, perhaps a day earlier than Dublin.

ens_image.php?geoid=64956&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-06&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

It's really only the east coastal counties that has a threat of very heavy rain on Saturday. Away from the east coast, looks like a dryer weekend, with possibly only a few showers.

Galway's ensembles look ok for the next few days with not much rain over the coming week and temperatures recovering from mid week, perhaps a day earlier than Dublin.

ens_image.php?geoid=64956&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-06&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

I 'm moving to Galway :)

I really hope for warmer temps..I feel the cold badly always and have found this spring much chillier than usual...Brrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zipppy wrote: »
    I 'm moving to Galway :)

I really hope for warmer temps..I feel the cold badly always and have found this spring much chillier than usual...Brrrr

you'd regret it in the long run

On the whole Galway is a lot more rain sodden than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

how is slane looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Showers in Kildare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Evelyn Cusack on with Sean o Rourke yesterday morning, not much signal for any very warm weather for the next few weeks.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21564810

Half decent day here now, mostly cloudy but at least its dry for a few hours.
    Recorded just shy of 50mm since Tuesday morning.
    15c now, up from 11 yesterday. S cavan.

D.Q wrote: »
    how is slane looking?

A chance of rain if the rain event from the UK pushes in over eastern Leinster. Probably best to arrive prepared for rain and bring the rain gear just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

A chance of rain if the rain event from the UK pushes in over eastern Leinster. Probably best to arrive prepared for rain and bring the rain gear just incase.

Haha cheers mate.

Camping friday and saturday so at the mercy of the elements. :pac::pac:

was a decent day here up to a few minutes ago, now a very heavy shower but it doesn't look like it will last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Was out gardening at 3pm in Carlow in the sunshine, suddenly it was as if someone turned out the lights, thunder, lightening & hail stones lashed down, couldn't believe how quickly it changed.
    Kids were actually able to throw snowballs in June!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Would you love to be relaxing in Fairview Park right now like you were on 6th June last year? :D

I would, it's quite a decent day but not a patch on this day last year. I can't believe it's only been a year since that day... feels much longer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In other words.......

Agreed. Summer 1995 didn’t kick off until the dying days of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Have recent April, May, Junes been as bad?
    I know last year clouds the memory but this spring has been shocking....Bar Easter..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

compsys wrote: »

The top temperature on the day of the referendum was 21 degrees in Dublin. Hardly a scorcher!

The grass was yellowing in Dublin in June last year due to the lack of rain. But it was frequently cloudy, dry weather. Obviously we had a great few weeks of sun but I remember getting increasingly fed up of the water restrictions as the summer wore on because a lot of the time it was dull and dry. So we were really not getting anything in return for the lack of water. And warm, cloudy weather is the worst. If it’s cloudy, I prefer it to be pleasantly cool.

Advertisement