Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Rain. Dark depressing clouds sitting on my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

an ominous hint from John Eagleton on the radio earlier?

" .... never a good sign when a shallow area of low pressure brings so much rain early in the summer ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

" .... never a good sign when a shallow area of low pressure brings so much rain early in the summer ..."

:( So cold as well last night, couldn't believe I was turning on the heating in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

37mm from this event in Kildare. Soggy to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

*gets visions of 2012*

Plus arctic sea ice is running very low again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

26mm and 10c now.
    Most of the NIGHTS last Feb were warmer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Could it?

I try to always look at something positive but today was one to forget, very poor and not nice. The more and more I observe Irish weather, the more I am less forgiving of it.
    It could be a lot worse.
    Try not let the weather affect you too much. It's the one thing that's outside of our control.

Sometimes I find it's good to get into a few activities that you can do in almost any weather. Surfing, Wind surfing to name but two, that you can do in all but the very worst of weather. Then on the bad days you'll have something to be at and they mightn't get to you as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Carol25

Kutebride wrote: »
    Wow good luck Sryanbruen

Best of luck Syranbruen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

kippy wrote: »
    It could be a lot worse.
    Try not let the weather affect you too much. It's the one thing that's outside of our control.

Sometimes I find it's good to get into a few activities that you can do in almost any weather. Surfing, Wind surfing to name but two, that you can do in all but the very worst of weather. Then on the bad days you'll have something to be at and they mightn't get to you as much.

I just want to get from A to B without getting soaked do a bit of gardening and a bit of exercise in nice dry weather and not have the heating on at night in mid summer. There’s a breeze blowing this morning like it’s mid March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The more and more I observe Irish weather, the more I am less forgiving of it.

Wait til you get older - that is when the real bitterness will set in. We do our upmost to maintain some sort of interest in this vapid climate of ours, and will resort to looking stats and engaging in number-crunching to make it seem somewhat more spicy than what it is, but as the old saying goes: 'you can't put lipstick on a pig'. Just over 17mm here yesterday, which over 17mm more than was originally forecast.. :rolleyes:

Nationally speaking, it has been the wettest opening start to June since 1987, but the coolest since only 2014. However, June that year was warming up significantly by this stage, but looking at this 10 day 2m temp anomaly forecast for the next 10 days:

67oylcI.png

there is no real sign of something similar happening this time around.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

26mm and 10c now.
    Most of the NIGHTS last Feb were warmer than that!

Our soo called heatwave came and went then also :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm cold.

But Tubridy on the radio earlier was saying the sun was splitting the trees down there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

dexter647 wrote: »
    I haven't come to this decision lightly but I think it's time to build an ark here in my part of south Laois:(

It's been fairly biblical alright.

In Meath here and it feels like rain of some form has been falling continuously for over 24 hours straight. Can anyone confirm that?

Went for a run last night which was refreshing at least but the tree house I decided to start building for the kids a couple of weeks back hasn't had the chance to be finished or have the the timbers coated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still raining here at Dunshaughlin, an absolute miserable morning, been raining for over 24 hours now, driveway is waterlogged and garden is like a swamp. Cold as well. Could be a few more hours of rain before it finally clears in the afternoon. This rain event is up there with some of the rain events we had last November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann's report of yesterdays rainfall, between 20 and 30mm in some places, over 30 in others. This doesn't include last nights rain and the rain still falling this morning, so add at least another 10 or 15mm to some of these reports.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1136180945583837184

Gonzo wrote: »
    Still raining here at Dunshaughlin, an absolute miserable morning, been raining for over 24 hours now, driveway is waterlogged and garden is like a swamp. Cold as well. Could be a few more hours of rain before it finally clears in the afternoon. This rain event is up there with some of the rain events we had last November.

Only 10mm down here from that,it cleared up around 9 last night,a little bit overnight, 0.2mm but I'd say that was the dew added to a little bit in the rain guage
    Suns out currently but its Cool but actually lovely compared to yesterdays grim
    Some difference,you're only a little over an hours drive if no traffic

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1136210815432953856?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm cold.

so put a jersey on.... :rolleyes:

Oh dear

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Another 25 to 32 mm of rainfall expected over 24 hours.

Valid: Wednesday 05 June 2019 09:00 to Thursday 06 June 2019 09:00

Issued: Wednesday 05 June 2019 08:00

Updated: Wednesday 05 June 2019 08:00

MARINE WARNINGS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

Markree now 35mm

Sligo 19mm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Only 10mm down here from that,it cleared up around 9 last night,a little bit overnight, 0.2mm but I'd say that was the dew added to a little bit in the rain guage
    Suns out currently but its Cool but actually lovely compared to yesterdays grim
    Some difference,you're only a little over an hours drive if no traffic

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1136210815432953856?s=19

it's an incredible slow moving front. I watched the radar all yesterday and for most of the day the south coast was clear of rain and in over the course of about 12 hours, the rain only cleared about 50 miles north of where it was yesterday morning.

Rain currently clearing north Wicklow. Still plenty rain from Dublin to Sligo and across Northern Ireland. It will eventually clear, but I suspect Northern Ireland and the north-west of Ireland could have rain into tonight, before it finally clears.

kippy wrote: »
    It could be a lot worse.

reading words in posts like "forgiveness" and "bitterness"? worrying. as you rightly say, nothing we can do but we can adapt. Angst about what we cannot change damages us not the weather..

Just posted the new warnings!

and the Marine coastal ..

Status Yellow - Small Craft Warning
    North or northwest winds will reach force 6 at times today on coasts from Valentia to Loop Head to Malin Head.

Issued: Wednesday 05 June 2019 05:00

The telling thing here is that even after the deluges we had earlier this week, the ground is dry. It drank every drop to deep inside as it will do this next batch,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feels colder than yesterday in Dublin today. Maybe it’s the Donald’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We could have over 150mm of rain since this day last week in Castlebar if the new warning is accurate.

Feels colder than yesterday in Dublin today. Maybe it’s the Donald’s fault.

It possibly is colder, temperatures still in single digits across the rain areas from Dublin to Sligo.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/temp_uk.png

Just looking at the GFS rainfall charts and the rain is due to last across the north-west till about tomorrow morning, then followed by lots more showers across the country, so plenty of more rain in places tomorrow.

Tomorrow looks rather wet again:
    http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2019060506/33-574UK.GIF?05-6

Friday could be another day long rain event across eastern areas including Dublin, if the massive area of rain over the Uk pushes into Leinster: so a repeat of yesterday could be on the cards for Friday from Wexford to Louth:

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2019060506/60-574UK.GIF?05-6

Unfortunately not much let up this weekend either with lots of rain, especially across in eastern and northern areas on Saturday and Sunday.

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2019060506/108-574UK.GIF?05-6

It is not just Ireland that is suffering with temperatures well below normal, this temperature map of Europe clearly shows where the cold and rain is: Spain and Portugal doing particularly bad with very unseasonable temperatures.

temp_eur2.png

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's an incredible slow moving front. I watched the radar all yesterday and for most of the day the south coast was clear of rain and in over the course of about 12 hours, the rain only cleared about 50 miles north of where it was yesterday morning.

Rain currently clearing north Wicklow. Still plenty rain from Dublin to Sligo and across Northern Ireland. It will eventually clear, but I suspect Northern Ireland and the north-west of Ireland could have rain into tonight, before it finally clears.

If you turn on the loop on the radar,you'll see it's actually the low pressures fault Its what's very very slow moving with the rain acting similar to a rain train circulating around it
    Rain on its western flank is moving south (over you)
    East on its southern flank and west again at the top ready to head south over you again
    You have the same clouds visiting you over and over ,not sure how long inbetween but they could say hi a few times and tell you how things are in Bray whilst splashing more rain on you

rain finally clearing here now, just a few spits of drizzle left in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Where is our leaving cert weather?

Advertisement