Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sideswipe wrote: »
    Where is our leaving cert weather?

They are probably the only ones who are thankful for such weather, they can get on with their exams without spending half the exam wishing they were outside in the sun.

I hope everyone does great for their exams including sryanbruen and SleetAndSnow who deserve a well earned rest and some much needed sunshine when the exams are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2pm June 5th ,a miserable 9 degrees at knock Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain is running out of oomph on radar I have but Met Eireann say it will last up here for 24 hours. Id say by this evening it will hv faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gonzo wrote: »
    They are probably the only ones who are thankful for such weather, they can get on with their exams without spending half the exam wishing they were outside in the sun.

I hope everyone does great for their exams including sryanbruen and SleetAndSnow who deserve a well earned rest and some much needed sunshine when the exams are over.

Sryanburren is doing his leaving cert???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain cleared for a couple of hours earlier, back raining again, fairly persistant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sryanburren is doing his leaving cert???

yep he is, his last days of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep he is, his last days of school.

He probably memorized the whole thing in 5th year. I can picture him been a teachers nightmare
    "sorry miss, I've compiled a graphic explaining why I think Isaac newton was wrong"
    :)
    Best of luck with the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Haha thanks Gonzo! So far so good!

Needless in cork city it's currently getting quite overcast! Have a feeling a shower is coming soon. It's also quite warm but makes studying easier at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not terrible between the showers in east Galway
    But they are becoming more frequent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

This shower in Sligo has lasted 26 hours so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Getting married on June 21st....really doesn't sound promising?!?!?

chases0102 wrote: »
    Getting married on June 21st....really doesn't sound promising?!?!?

and the weather might'nt be great either ;)

pauldry wrote: »
    Rain is running out of oomph on radar I have but Met Eireann say it will last up here for 24 hours. Id say by this evening it will hv faded.

Seems to be beefing up again on the latest Met E radar pics. Raining in Nth Louth since yesterday morning at this stage.

starting to brighten up a bit here now. Looking at the pictures of Shannon Airport, looks very different there, blue skies and sunshine on one side and very dark threatening skies on the other. Looks fairly dry there too.

Here in Meath it's still very cool, felt baltic earlier on before lunchtime.

Their is a remarkable and sudden difference in temperatures over central and south-eastern France at the moment, it's about 6 to 8C over the rain zone in central France and about 50 miles further east it's 28C. Not often you get to see such a contrast in temperatures over a very small area at this time of the year!

temp.png

Raining in Cork City atm for about the last half an hour/45mins. Big drops too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautifully sunny evening in West Clare, best one I've seen in at least a week. Only a small bit of a breeze.

I'm still a bit cold though. 13.6c

Still raining in my area of meath

first hints of something finally warmer developing over Ireland, especially western Ireland on 14th of June, it's a long way off and has to be taken with a major pinch of salt. Stays cool up to the 13th, but we may see a dramatic rise in temperatures after that. Fingers crossed.

222-580UK.GIF?05-6

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

some variation between east and west on that

lawred2 wrote: »
    some variation between east and west on that

It may not happen or be very short lived. The ECM says no with intense northern blocking through the mid to end of June with low pressures lining themselves up with our name on it.

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's the cruel irony that this extreme blocking is happening now in May and June and it is the same blocking that was signalled by teleconnections and models all winter.

Look at all that wasted warmth out to sea

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's the cruel irony that this extreme blocking is happening now in May and June and it is the same blocking that was signalled by teleconnections and models all winter.

If the rest of the summer plays out like this, this could be the summer to remember for all the wrong reasons. Let's hope we lose this blocking by July, but i'm not so sure, I think we will need a major pattern shift to get ourselves out of the current setup and unfortunately patterns such as this can stick around for months.

So far this year has been very unseasonal with a mild to warm winter and a cold Spring and now a relatively bitter and deeply unstable start to summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still raining in Letterkenny..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Snow shower in D5 not sticking for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I may not be able to cycle to work all week due to rain, can’t remember this happening before. Did we have weather this bad in winter or is summer more likely to be the rainier season? Shocking stuff though :(

Summer 2012 saw me getting soaked walking to and from work with depressing regularity.

Woha I knew it was raining heavy for about 20 minutes in Cork City but

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1136327961030909953

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Summer 2012 saw me getting soaked walking to and from work with depressing regularity.

I was living in London at the time but we always got stretches of warm sunny weather there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bright in east Galway now
    Still cool but vast improvement all the same on yday

• Advertisement

Woha I knew it was raining heavy for about 20 minutes in Cork City but

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1136327961030909953

Nuts. Hasn't rained here since overnight.

Advertisement