Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

This team always played for each other.

It wasn't as talented as the team of the noughties but they were a really committed bunch and always went down with a fight, even last year when the odds were stacked against them.

Some looked like half hearted quitters today.... You can blame managers all you want but in that instance the only person you can blame is the one looking back at you in the mirror.

Is there an 'if things are perfect, I don't have to try' mentality?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A London fundraiser or Liverpool bonding session is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A London fundraiser or Liverpool bonding session is needed

What you on about?
    Season is over what we need is a clear out management and players! I've supported and will always continue to but this is the worst feeling. I actually we should be dumped out of Munster as we don't deserve to be in it on this years performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

paddy13 wrote: »
    What you on about?
    Season is over what we need is a clear out management and players! I've supported and will always continue to but this is the worst feeling. I actually we should be dumped out of Munster as we don't deserve to be in it on this years performances.

Just a joke from events of the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

In our three games, our starting full forward line have scored a whopping 5 points from play.

An absolute embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Corkman here ! down in the Deise for the weekend, I bought two tickets for the game this morning, no problem, they should have been like gold dust! Playing with a strong wind in the first half 7 points is just not good enough, Waterford supporters around me were very vocal, but it was all negative ! Fck it lads, they were bad but you still have to shout for them, not agin them. Gleeson was somewhere else today, maybe in Boston, New York or Chicago knocking down a few grand a week? Prunty was caught for the first goal, but played a blinder after, anyone can be caught ! O Keefe's puck outs were poor, but thats down to tactics, not the man...keeper does as he's told. Discipline was poor enough, nasty little shyte, probably frustration more than anything. I'd rather have good tough, honest players like Bill Cooper than a marquee player like Gleeson any day of the week, I wonder is that down to "media pressure" in Waterford, superstar status and all that crap. I really don't give a shyte how well ye do, but I hate to see good hurlers wasted, and there are good lads there, as an outsider, I'd bring in the like of Humphry Kelliher (isn't he a Deise man?) for a season or two, scrap the "sun holiday" to pay for him, tell the stars they stay in the States on a green card carrying blocks, and pull lads who want to hurl for their county, not for the "image", so what if it takes a few seasons more, it's not like ye have great record to uphold, and I'm not trying to be smart, but good things come to those who wait, we've been without a Liam now for a few years, but when it comes, it comes, it won't be for the want of trying, and in fairness, we get behind the team and the coach, bad and all as they might be at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

The darkest hour is before the dawn. Sometimes you have to reach rock bottom before you start back on the road to redemption.

Time for a clean out of players and I think the management will do the decent thing and exit stage left after next weekend.

I was relatively pleased after the league semi final win (in hindsight, this Galway side are well below average) but in the next 3 games, I became more and more despondent ; so much so, that (for the first time in an age), I decided not to travel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Today was a sad day for me. I was more sad today than the day we lost the all Ireland final
    That day we just lost a trophy, today shows we've lost something a lot more valuable.
    We've lost the heart of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

_blaaz wrote: »
    His tactics were going nowhere though?

Tipp showed them up in a munster final....at a time when tipp werent a patch on.the way they are now...there also serious questions and allegations lie over a league semi final vs galway and his refusal to play or even try new players outside of his group of favourites (some of whom mysteriously retired at young enough age when he left?)

Lets not kid ourself here

What are you talking about? Tipp won the all Ireland that year, beating a Kilkenny team going for 3 in a row by 9 points.

McGraths tenure summarised:

2014: relegated from the league, hammered in a replay by Cork and lost out to an average Wexford side disappointingly (but had to contend with a lot of injuries for the year)

2015: league champions, creditable defeat to Tipp in a Munster final. Similarly beaten by Kilkenny without ever looking like winning.

2016: Lost league final after replay, destroyed for the one an only time in his tenure by Tipp who went onto win the all Ireland, as unlucky as a team can be not to reach the final that year

2017: predictably beaten by Cork after a 3 month layoff, beat Kilkenny for the first time in 58 years, followed up with beating Wexford and Cork and a one score loss to Galway (by the way what you said about if "Galway were interested in scoring goals" they'd have hammered us is a ludicrous and inaccurate as the comment about Tipp in 2016. They hardly scored a goal that year and beat all before them...if they weren't "interested" in doing it in an all Ireland final when would they be interested???)

2018: disaster from start to finish, a hangover from the year before and a loss of confidence. Injuries told towards the end, players showed they were still willing though both in the Gaelic grounds v Tipp and in Thurles.

So up until the last year it was always improvement. Subsequent to the hammering referenced v Tipp, we came as close to winning an all Ireland as we had done since 1963. I don't believe Derek McGrath is the Messiah, but the abuse that man has gotten after what he did for Waterford is criminal. And I think therein lies the problem, told and told again in Waterford hurling...bitterness and personal grievances trump and united commitment to succeed and have held the County back for as long as I've been supporting Waterford.

Desolate about today, really just feels to bad to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

SW1985 wrote: »
    Every manager will have bad days. They were rarely repeated and we nearly won the all Ireland that year.

What serious allegations????

Nearly never milked the cow butty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think that was Waterfords lowest moment in championship hurling, since that Kerry game in 1993.Waterford were only a puck of the ball away from the all Ireland, less than two years ago.I haven't a clue where Waterford hurling goes from here.But serious hard questions need to be asked, of management and the county board.Waterford have always been a competitive team over the last 20 years.They should not be losing matches by 20 points.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

I think that was Waterfords lowest moment in championship hurling, since that Kerry game in 1993.Waterford were only a puck of the ball away from the all Ireland, less than two years ago.I haven't a clue where Waterford hurling goes from here.But serious hard questions need to be asked, of management and the county board.Waterford have always been a competitive team over the last 20 years.They should not be losing matches by 20 points.

Heads up , fight like dogs next week - then take stock . Tis great to be alive

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The worst thing about today or may be the best thing is it shows up just how broken Waterford GAA actually is . From football to underage hurling and senior in both codes . Huge change is needed and needs to be embraced . The eastern western thing was always a hindrance. Inept people at county board level. It's up to club , club members and players to be more proactive and stop sending the same old cretins to represent them . Old men who thrive on tradition and the trappings of power and and they can't deal with any form of criticism. A chairman who is paranoid a laughing stock in and out of the county. It filters from the top down. Poor juvenile structures and coaching. Everything done on an ad hoc basis. Poor facilities. Lack of ability to get sponsorship. The whipping boys of the Munster council. Fanning was the 4th choice manager after Derek left . They couldn't secure their first choices . No ambition , no leadership , no professionalism. It all filters down from the top. Time for clubs and especially club members and players to say enough is enough . We need to get all the basics right .

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Deiselurker

That was embarrassing today. I didn't think we'd win but thought we'd give Limerick a battle in response to the Tipperary beating but it was even worse today. Limerick fans travelled in big numbers and it didn't feel like a home game in terms of noise from the crowd. A decent start but Limerick took over after first 20 minutes. 2nd half was surreal with us not scoring for last 25 minutes or so. How could things go wrong so much from 2017? Even a few months ago people were happy enough that we had made a league final and how things were going under Fanning.
    We look so far off the pace now compared to Tipperary and Limerick. They have big resources behind them for their setups but still doesn't explain the lack of effort as pointed out tonight on the Sunday Game. Looks like players don't believe in management with rumours of unrest in the camp. Will Fanning and management team walk away after next weekend or decide to tough it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

The worst thing about today or may be the best thing is it shows up just how broken Waterford GAA actually is . From football to underage hurling and senior in both codes . Huge change is needed and needs to be embraced . The eastern western thing was always a hindrance. Inept people at county board level. It's up to club , club members and players to be more proactive and stop sending the same old cretins to represent them . Old men who thrive on tradition and the trappings of power and and they can't deal with any form of criticism. A chairman who is paranoid a laughing stock in and out of the county. It filters from the top down. Poor juvenile structures and coaching. Everything done on an ad hoc basis. Poor facilities. Lack of ability to get sponsorship. The whipping boys of the Munster council. Fanning was the 4th choice manager after Derek left . They couldn't secure their first choices . No ambition , no leadership , no professionalism. It all filters down from the top. Time for clubs and especially club members and players to say enough is enough . We need to get all the basics right .

This is the best and most factual post written on here over the last 3/4 weeks. It mirrors a lot of what people have been saying but it actually hit the nail on the head. A few of us have been accused of having an agenda against the board and were told to shut up and mind our own business by certain people. Well the wheel always turns and people are seeing the results of poor officialdom over the last 15yrs in particular. We’ve certain people involved in boards/committees who are career officials and despite the fact that they might think they are doing what’s right for Waterford gaa they are doing more harm then good. Complete change is required from juvenile to adult level, not only at board level but also at club championship levels. Anybody that has served more then 10yrs on a board or committees need to step down now for the good of Waterford gaa( this includes the same old delegates that clubs send in). There’s nobody questioning their commitment to Waterford gaa and yes they have served Waterford well but their ideas and intentions are too outdated and not what is required to help Waterford move on and recover.

Pat o Shea has got involved with a juvenile football review committee we now need someone to get involved in juvenile hurling to perform something similar.

Ps just to let people know also that Tipperary beat our u-20 footballers by 6-22 to 0-1 on weds night in the south Leinster league they are entered in and Wexford reportedly beat them by 7-24 to 1-4 last Saturday. Only 12 players turned up for the trials that were organized and some of the selectors didn’t even turn up for the trial as they didn’t agree it was the right thing to do. They were due to play Carlow on Saturday and I haven’t heard any report on it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Deisefacts wrote: »
    This is the best and most factual post written on here over the last 3/4 weeks. It mirrors a lot of what people have been saying but it actually hit the nail on the head. A few of us have been accused of having an agenda against the board and were told to shut up and mind our own business by certain people. Well the wheel always turns and people are seeing the results of poor officialdom over the last 15yrs in particular. We’ve certain people involved in boards/committees who are career officials and despite the fact that they might think they are doing what’s right for Waterford gaa they are doing more harm then good. Complete change is required from juvenile to adult level, not only at board level but also at club championship levels. Anybody that has served more then 10yrs on a board or committees need to step down now for the good of Waterford gaa( this includes the same old delegates that clubs send in). There’s nobody questioning their commitment to Waterford gaa and yes they have served Waterford well but their ideas and intentions are too outdated and not what is required to help Waterford move on and recover.

Pat o Shea has got involved with a juvenile football review committee we now need someone to get involved in juvenile hurling to perform something similar.

Ps just to let people know also that Tipperary beat our u-20 footballers by 6-22 to 0-1 on weds night in the south Leinster league they are entered in and Wexford reportedly beat them by 7-24 to 1-4 last Saturday. Only 12 players turned up for the trials that were organized and some of the selectors didn’t even turn up for the trial as they didn’t agree it was the right thing to do. They were due to play Carlow on Saturday and I haven’t heard any report on it yet

No mention of the senior hurlers who (with a few exceptions) basically stopped trying in the 2nd half yesterday??. Not a fan of the Co Board by the way but in future the players should let the supporters know before the game if they plan on giving up during a match.....should save us a trip to Cork. It's always someone else's fault, Co Board, referees, sounds like more of a creche than a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's horrific if true and a disrespect to all supporters who paid hard earned money to watch them. I have tickets sitting in the car for next Saturday and I actually don't want to go after hearing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

This exactly. Wasn’t going to post it here today as it’s really a story for another day.

But reform is needed, full root and branch review. Top to bottom. The performances of our senior teams is a reflection of years of mismanagement, poor administration and a county board committee from a prehistoric era. All is not lost as far as the current crop of players is concerned, hopefully a new management team that are fit for the job can be sourced and have us competitive in the next few years again. But what about the future, 10/20 years? What will be the legacy of the current administration?

Something similar to what’s going on with the FAI is needed as were falling light years behind other counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

One would wonder what happened to Waterford since 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m still shocked by what I witnessed yesterday. Standing on the terrace watching Waterford attack the goal we were behind in the first half was an embarrassment and having Limerick fans beside us laughing at us 20 minutes into the game is a new low point for me.

Behind the goal we were able to see the Waterford plan, or lack thereof, in full view. It was non existent. No movement from the forwards, no attempt to make a move for a player delivering in any balls, no guts. Contrast that to Limerick in the second half where they had three players in their full forward line and each time one of their backs got a ball in his hand it triggered the full forward line into action - making runs, dragging their marker out of position, finding space. Waterford did the complete opposite in the first half and it was demoralising watching Maurice Shanahan standing still waiting for a ball to drop on him only for it to land 10 yards away from him every time. I lost count of the amount of times in the first half where there was one forward within 25 yards of the Limerick goal and a ball just came sailing over into acres of space or out over the endline. It was brain dead stuff from start to finish and you wouldn’t see it happening in an underage game.

I have to ask the question, how bad is the standard of training that the senior panel are operating at? There’s multiple All Stars and a hurler of the year on the panel, what goes on at training if this is how the team comes prepared for a game to save their season and more importantly any bit of pride they have in themselves? They look unfit, way underconditioned for the cut and thrust of Championship hurling and mentally they look lost. An inter county team warm up should be high intensity yet for the last three games Waterford’s has been club level challenge match stuff. Awful first touch, misplaced passes to teammates from 15 yards away in a straight line, no intensity. To be honest, they looked like lads that just wanted to turn up and get the match out of the way so they can move on as quickly as possible.

Fanning has looked lost from the moment the ball was thrown in against Clare. Baffling team selections, even more baffling substations and a complete lack of in game reaction from him or the selectors. He’s clearly out of his depth and I was reluctant to put the boot into him but after yesterday I think the whole lot of them are fair game. Yesterday cost me €150 to attend the match and the way I’m feeling at the moment I’d nearly write to the Co. Board and ask them to refund me. For nearly 30 years I’d have paid any money and gone anywhere to watch Waterford play but next Saturday they’re playing on my doorstep and I won’t be there. I can’t put myself through another performance like what we’ve seen the last three weeks. I’ll take a break and come back in January when I’ve calmed down. That’s if there’s a team to support in 2020.

One more thing, I can see a reaction from the management, the board or the media next Saturday when there will be about 500 Waterford people in Cork. That supporters have abandoned the team etc. it won’t bother me in the slightest if there is. I’ve never before looked at a fixture and said I’m not going but next Saturday is different. I’m always of the opinion that the players deserve respect and support no matter what but after yesterday I think respect goes out the window for all concerned. Imagine a teenager with a bit of ability and ambition to play intercounty hurling for Waterford watching that yesterday? This season will have consequences for years to come and that’s not an exaggeration. We are in the **** big time baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

Great Post motivator.... Still feeling as bad as yesterday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Lads, I have read all the post on here since the end of the game yesterday and I can feel the hurt in what people are writing. We all want Waterford to succeed and we all know the problems but how many of you are prepared to do something about it? Personally I am going to bring a motion to my club to end the East/West divide and Hopefully it will be brought as a motion to the County Convention. Is there anyone else here willing to do the same, it will be the first step in the radical change that is needed. Underage hurling in Waterford is not going well, I was at the Ballyduff U10 tournament on Saturday and Sars from Cork showed us what U10's should look like. We need to be honest and come up to the standard before we can contemplate exceeding it. As an underage coach all's I ask for is support from the administrators of our sport. My wish list is as follows
    1. Please organise referees for our games and stop putting it back on coaches to take on this responsibility.
    2. please give us all county leagues where our kids can play more games at a level which will develop their skills. We have 7 schedules league games for U10's not enough.
    3. Please create more local tournaments like the Ballyduff Tournament so that the kids can get excited about playing other clubs, we are playing the same teams all the time!!
    4. Promote the games on Social media, the parents of my kids all use Social media and when they see their children mentioned on our notes the reaction is very positive, the more we promote our games in this manner the more importance they attach to it. We need to think differently and make our games more exciting for kids to play.
    5. Let us play tournaments in Walsh Park and Fraher field, once a year is not enough.
    6. Invest 50% of your budget into the schools and then you can talk about all Irelands.

Trust me the talent is there but it needs to be harnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Lads, I have read all the post on here since the end of the game yesterday and I can feel the hurt in what people are writing. We all want Waterford to succeed and we all know the problems but how many of you are prepared to do something about it? Personally I am going to bring a motion to my club to end the East/West divide and Hopefully it will be brought as a motion to the County Convention. Is there anyone else here willing to do the same, it will be the first step in the radical change that is needed. Underage hurling in Waterford is not going well, I was at the Ballyduff U10 tournament on Saturday and Sars from Cork showed us what U10's should look like. We need to be honest and come up to the standard before we can contemplate exceeding it. As an underage coach all's I ask for is support from the administrators of our sport. My wish list is as follows
    1. Please organise referees for our games and stop putting it back on coaches to take on this responsibility.
    2. please give us all county leagues where our kids can play more games at a level which will develop their skills. We have 7 schedules league games for U10's not enough.
    3. Please create more local tournaments like the Ballyduff Tournament so that the kids can get excited about playing other clubs, we are playing the same teams all the time!!
    4. Promote the games on Social media, the parents of my kids all use Social media and when they see their children mentioned on our notes the reaction is very positive, the more we promote our games in this manner the more importance they attach to it. We need to think differently and make our games more exciting for kids to play.
    5. Let us play tournaments in Walsh Park and Fraher field, once a year is not enough.
    6. Invest 50% of your budget into the schools and then you can talk about all Irelands.

They're only 9 years old ffs. Are people really that critical of under 10s?

Brilliant. This is what is required. My only advice for you is that once your club accepts the motion regarding west/east ask your club can you go to the meeting to deliver the motion as the delegates clubs are sending are strong enough and don’t speak up

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

I’m nearly sure the clubs have 48 votes, but officers between east west county board na nog referees coaching and games Munster council etc have about 40 votes & you need a 2/3 majority to pass anything, making it Chinese democracy.

Turkeys will not vote for christmas

I’m nearly sure the clubs have 48 votes, but officers between east west county board na nog referees coaching and games Munster council etc have about 40 votes & you need a 2/3 majority to pass anything, making it Chinese democracy.

So basically it’s a dictatorship within county boards so and the clique that’s presently there will keep sharing the jobs amongst themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

True. But let each club put the motion in (or as many as possible ) It will be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭spideyman92

As bad as it was yesterday, think it was bad form for Dónal Óg to single out Aussie last night. Yea he was poor but so were the majority of his teammates. Pinning blame on the lad for the game when he only played half of it. Didn't go on and single out any of the Clare players afterwards despite their result. Unnecessary and a bit too personal for my liking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement